• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

Ya G/W getting bumped is disappointing since that deck wasn't cheap to build lol. Might take these 2 lilianas and 2 spiders I pulled this past week as a sign to build delirium.

The fact that this happens on stream and neither commentator or the table judge(s) catch it is alarming. Makes you wonder how bad cheating is off stream.

Yeah I remember when someone on a stream picked up all his lands rearranged them in his hand and then put them down untapped again. No one caught it even though it was really obvious.

I'm pretty sure you can report it.

problem is not being able to bring it to the attention when it is important.

ironmang

Yeah I remember when someone on a stream picked up all his lands rearranged them in his hand and then put them down untapped again. No one caught it even though it was really obvious.

When you hear any pro or semi-pro talk about judge calls you know they're fully aware of how many and what kind of accidents they can make without it getting escalated.

Easy to take your warning or minor infraction if you get caught. Risk seems low enough due to just claiming it's a mistake.

OnPoint

problem is not being able to bring it to the attention when it is important.

If you report it now he might be disqualified from the tournament. Hell, make a Reddit thread and let outrage flow there. It will have consequence.

If you report it now he might be disqualified from the tournament. Hell, make a Reddit thread and let outrage flow there. It will have consequence.

I got it from a reddit thread it's been there for a day, don't remember there being consequences during a tournament because of such before.

When you hear any pro or semi-pro talk about judge calls you know they're fully aware of how many and what kind of accidents they can make without it getting escalated.

Easy to take your warning or minor infraction if you get caught. Risk seems low enough due to just claiming it's a mistake.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that playing 2 lands a turn only constitutes a warning in the first place and that multiple warnings only lead to a game loss. Not to mention that warnings are tracked openly instead of covertly.

So what exactly should I expect for base stats?

Like in Hearthstone a vanilla 4 mana minion usually has 9 points worth of stats.

What is it in Magic?

Like in Hearthstone a vanilla 4 mana minion usually has 9 points worth of stats.

What is it in Magic?

Depends on rarity and mana intesiveness but vanilla creatures are generally
1 - 3 = 2/1s known as Savannah Lions
2 - 4 = 2/2 aka Grizzly Bears
3 - 5 = 3/2 aka Grey Ogre
4 - 6 = 3/3 aka Hill Giant
5 - 7
I'd say. Toughness is usually valued much less than power, in stat distribution, so it's not entirely comparable to Hearthstone. You can get an 0/6 for 2 for instance easily.

What is it in Magic?

The general rule is that the total of the power and toughness is equal to its converted mana cost times two. The exceptions are below:

* 1 mana 1/1 vanilla creatures are always very bad. The only color that will still get 1/1s for M (M = a particular color) with no abilities is blue, though it will still often get 1/2s instead. White and green are generally allowed 2/1s with no downsides, and black and red are sometimes allowed 2/1s with no downsides.
* Until recently, red and blue weren't allowed 2/2 or greater creatures for 1M. Red is allowed it now.
* Generally, at common and even uncommon, only green is allowed to follow the general rule mentioned above and even can go above it. You often see 3/3 creatures for 2G, but rarely one for 2B, for instance. The other colors will have a 2/3 or 3/2 creature instead, for instance.
* Adding mana symbols to the mana cost allow the stats to increase. A creature that costs 1BB is more likely to be 3/3, for instance.

Also, toughness is still pretty good in Magic. If my opponent has a bunch of 2/2s, I'd play a 2/3 creature over a 3/2 creature. It's just that toughness generally slows down the game while power makes the game end more quickly.

Venus Van Dam

Neo Member
I don't know if anyone here can help me with the following issue, but I gotta try:

I don't log on into my magic online account since 2009 or so. I remember my nickname, but I forgot my password and canceled the email attached to the account. I tried a couple of times to regain access to the account, but the WoTC FAQ is not great and the customer support service stops answering me after the second email. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211208433]lol Thalia vs Evolving Wilds is one of the more brutal things I noticed when I first played the card. It's pretty gross.[/QUOTE]
Best part is how she's one-sided. Thalia 1.0 affected both players.

I know Ali Aintrazi personally. I knew him while he was still learning how to play Magic. I find it very hard to believe that he'd intentionally cheat.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but he is a really stand-up guy in his personal life and I can't see him ever doing anything malicious.

I know Ali Aintrazi personally. I knew him while he was still learning how to play Magic. I find it very hard to believe that he'd intentionally cheat.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but he is a really stand-up guy in his personal life and I can't see him ever doing anything malicious.

Someone on reddit made a good post linking to twitch on all of them.

Look, I'm usually the first person to tell people to put the pitchforks down and remember that people are human and make mistakes. In a vacuum, with just this one occurrence, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
That being said, it IS rather concerning that he apparently has a history of sloppy play to his advantage. A cursory search gave this thread's two land play, treating a Hangarback as though it had haste, attempting to cast a Kozilek with zero colorless sources, tapping Tronlands for 7 mana without having the full set assembled, and that's all just in the last year or so. That many recorded play mistakes, most of them somewhat advantageous to him, in that short a period of time is getting to the point where I'm somewhat concerned and finding it a bit hard to believe that they're all unintentional.
EDIT: At this point, I'm just fact-checking everyone's claims in this thread. Here's him preventing his opponent from playing a land by using the fact that he's missed a land drop to mislead them into believing they've already played a land this turn.

I don't normally like saying this, but is it just me or is Ali playing this really, really bad? Not attacking, throwing away creatures, prioritizing things that don't really matter.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211233732]I don't normally like saying this, but is it just me or is Ali playing this really, really bad? Not attacking, throwing away creatures, prioritizing things that don't really matter.[/QUOTE]

I feel like he switched lines a couple times but near the end he was clearly much more concerned with shutting off ways his opponent could get back into the game than he was with finishing him off.

That was Spell Quellers coming out party. I'm interested to see how the meta adjusts to it, a lot of people seemed unprepared and it just feasted on them.

explodet

I'm gonna go watch a YGO filler season while I hammer together another Commader deck.
Maybe do something with all these Elementals I have lying around.

That was Spell Quellers coming out party. I'm interested to see how the meta adjusts to it, a lot of people seemed unprepared and it just feasted on them.

The only thing I can think is that if you can't outrace it, you can only go with a control deck that only has destruction and counter spells at 4 mana and below. And that makes me think perhaps Bedlam Reveler has a place.

I tried to trade for SQ before today but it didn't work out. I bet the price goes up now. Oh well.
I'm having much more fun playing Legacy and Commander at this point anyway. I don't really see myself going back to Standard.

Confirmation of the earlier report that Kaladesh won't have contraptions.
venserismyhomeboy asked: Maro! Say it isn't so! People are saying at blogatog live you declared no contraptions on kaladesh! If we can't find how to do it in a steampunk world I don't know if I'll ever get to see them :(

There was something that was a perfect fit, a mechanic I’ve been trying to find a home for many years. Because of that, there wasn’t the right mechanical space to also fit in contraptions.

I promise I will one day find a home for contraptions. It just wasn’t in Kaladesh block.

#WotCStaff
The wording is interesting, since it implies he figured out contraptions but another mechanic took up too much space (which probably means it's the "E mechanic", since its problem was that it took too much space), but perhaps I shouldn't read too much into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom