• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunty (The person in charge of the Sonic 25th stream) Spoke up about the stream

C'mon, you have to admit with all the missteps Sonic has made over the years, an extended livestream full of mishaps for the anniversary is hilariously poetic. We all want a Sonic game to become truly critically acclaimed in the next installments because we do love it. It's just part of that love comes from the silly stuff, for me at least.

If the average person making fun of the live stream wants Sonic to be an amazing franchise again then why do these people act as if nothing god happened at the event (besides the unintentional comedy) and why do these people say "Oh look, that even is full of autistic people" as if it's an insult and claim that Sonic has always been shit? There's a strange amount of hate for this family-friendly series.

Zubz

Banned
I feel really bad for him, and I hope SEGA's aware he did his best. That said, the content of the stream is what made it wonderfully weird; the audio issues at crucial moments just clinched. Besides, I'm sure SEGA themselves'll be cracking jokes about the stream soon enough. I'm sure there're no hard feelings.

Eh I had some fun getting temp bans from commenting in the chat. Putting Sonic in the dumpster, but hey it was kinda of a legendary stream now because of all the weird problems and we got that awesome Sonic Mania trailer. Man that was awesome, keep going back to it for that great music.

Falk

that puzzling face
I could tell that people were into as well, it's just that the stream audio didn't pick it up which I found to be odd.

Unless you set up actual audience mics meant to capture some house sound, audience noise never, ever picks up well on what typically goes into a stream feed - instruments, singer mics, that's it.

Seems like relying on wireless for an event like this was a bad idea.

The more complicated the setup, the more of a godsend wireless is. We've run orchestral concerts with 50+ wireless receivers for clicks and backing which would have been 3x as much of a nightmare to set up with wired Avioms or similar.

There's generally an unwritten code of ethics (that obviously differs from venue to venue or general location) about what RX/TX frequencies should be kept clear for event purposes, and rigorous testing beforehand.

Piers

I dunno what that Hyper Potions shit was at the start, but two dorks half-dancing to mp3's on a macbook is not...a thing. Or at least it shouldn't be a thing.

Unfortunately it is. Most DJs I see at bars and what not just use their laptop/iphone and set music list to shuffle.

Gagaman

I didn't get to watch this live but watched a back up of it last night, and honestly I didn't feel it was as 'lol cringe' as people have been making it out to be. From what I heard I was expecting the nachos promoting to be half of the whole thing but it like, a couple minutes out of the whole thing. Outside of the obvious technical issues there were some awkward cut aways from the stage but it was far more watchable then I was expecting.

I have no idea how Jim Sterling manages to make a 'shitshow' montage out of it and not really fussed about finding out. It kind of feels like people have exaggerated how bad it is because 'lol sonic' but I guess not watching it live and not having to put up with the half hour delay and being able to skip forward makes me a little bias, but also because I know all too well what planning a livestream way in advance only for it all to go tits up on the day feels like: in February our youtube channel planned to do a 12 hour long livestream for charity and on the day we couldn't tell what was going wrong, and no one in the chat helped us out and all just vanished, and basicilly it led to the entire 12 hour stream being completely unwatchable and unusable. It was a real disapointment but we learnt a lot about what a cruel mistress livestreaming can be that day.

I didn't get to watch this live but watched a back up of it last night, and honestly I didn't feel it was as 'lol cringe' as people have been making it out to be. From what I heard I was expecting the nachos promoting to be half of the whole thing but it like, a couple minutes out of the whole thing. Outside of the obvious technical issues there were some awkward cut aways from the stage but it was far more watchable then I was expecting.

I have no idea how Jim Sterling manages to make a 'shitshow' montage out of it and not really fussed about finding out. It kind of feels like people have exaggerated how bad it is because 'lol sonic' but I guess not watching it live and not having to put up with the half hour delay and being able to skip forward makes me a little bias heh.

As someone who once liked Jim I feel like he's been coasting by on just moaning about any old crap he can bring up for quite a while now. Occasionally he touches on something worth talking about but I barely even watch his content anymore because it feels like he's genuinely hunting for stuff to anger him. Sure they left him the ammunition but it's honestly not half as funny as Konami 2010. Some of the cuts were really dumb, like Jun tweaking a foot pedal as he starts the gig.

That aside, I didn't think the entire event was bad personally. There was some awful stuff though like the AV issues and the DJ's with the dancing Sonic, it would have been better to just have the soundtracks. Meanwhile, being a guitarist I appreciated Crush 40's appearance, they overstayed their welcome a bit but otherwise that could have been fine. Sonic Mania looked great and the 3D Sonic looks like it will retain the day gameplay from Unleashed which for me, is the best 3D gameplay the series has had. It wasn't like they had to ask for cheering like Konami did in 2010.

I'm not part of the Sonic 'fanbase' either and am genuinely creeped out by how weird they can be and I'm happy to mock them where they deserve, as are they apparently going by the 'Now Loading' on Sonic 06. I just don't think this was that bad to be honest. Nothing from this looks as bad as Boom did.

Sterling was a bit desperate to jump on this one. He posted a "supercut" after only half the show had passed. Then started the next Jimquisition episode with "WORSE THAN KONAMI 2010". I like where Sterling's been going lately, but that didn't impress me very much.

Live music on a stage smaller than a bathroom infront of a bunch of people not really into it,

You don't seem to be familiar with the House of Blues.

I thought this was going to be less about technical issues and uuh more about how improvised and wacky everything felt, I mean those Tontino's segments lol.

And then we find out a lot of the later improvisation and awkwardness was due to Aaron Webber, the host, having to deal with his girlfriend having an accident and paramedics, according to the above tweets.

Top Bottom