• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Liliana's internal dialogue is kind of funny. She goes off on how hot Gideon is but thinks he's as bright as a 2-watt bulb and she joins the Gatewatch primarily because she thinks its helpful to have people like Nissa who is able to heal her when she gets fucked up from using the Chain Veil.

Joe Molotov

FNM time!

Deck: i_have_no_idea_what_i'm_doing.jpg
r.gif

//Creatures
4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Lupine Prototype
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker

//Spells
4 Borrowed Hostility
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Otherworldly Outburst
4 Rush of Adrenaline
4 Skin Invasion
4 Titan's Strength

//Lands
17 Mountain

//Sideboard
4 Rending Volley
4 Lightning Axe
2 Mountain
4 Fiery Temper
1 Incendiary Flow

Display deck statistics

Liliana's internal dialogue is kind of funny. She goes off on how hot Gideon is but thinks he's as bright as a 2-watt bulb and she joins the Gatewatch primarily because she thinks its helpful to have people like Nissa who is able to heal her when she gets fucked up from using the Chain Veil.

Both of these are much more believable motivations than wanting to save everyone in the multiverse!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And yes of course I drafted Craterhoof Behemoth/Natural Order Ramp again

c'mon its me

Ashodin

4nM37r7.png

First take. Let me know if I went overboard with this one

Also wording would help. I could use "die" but then the reminder text applied to permanents would look weird.

fuck it, I guess I need two wordings

dLruPAx.png

I'm wondering if I'm just trying to do what indestructible already does though for permanents other than creatures.

Maybe I should switch what gets what when it comes back? Seems like it'll get real wordy then.

ultron87

You'd need to say something like "and remove all damage marked on it and set its toughness to 1". Otherwise State Based Actions will just keep trying to kill it forever.

Edit: I guess the comp rules for such an ability could handle it.

Is the intention that you can sacrifice it and it just sticks around? And it can stay around with 0 toughness or a whole bunch of -1/-1 counters on it?

Ashodin

You'd need to say something like "and remove all damage marked on it and set its toughness to 1". Otherwise State Based Actions will just keep trying to kill it forever.

I figured that would happen. I've got a fix for that.

UpTAhAp.png
updated:
CaWkA6n.png

This might be more powerful however. It flickers permanents.

I'm gonna go with this I think. The wording is easy to understand and it's pretty powerful for a 7 CMC effect.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thanks for the summary Sigma, as soon as I saw how long that story was I came to this thread.

I'll take that ending over "And we won again, yay!". The theory that the Eldrazi are the planar equivalent of a forest fire is something I can get behind, if only because they make such garbage villains. Magic is in dire need of a great bad guy, fingers crossed we get something in the next couple blocks.
They did a hell of a job making the new Phyrexians menacing, I hope the Eldrazi stuff being dealt with means we can focus on them a bit

ultron87

I figured that would happen. I've got a fix for that.

This might be more powerful however. It flickers permanents.

I'm gonna go with this I think. The wording is easy to understand and it's pretty powerful for a 7 CMC effect.

Yeah, that's probably better from a rules complexity perspective. Having the object change zones handles a lot of the weirdness.

(Templating nit pick: I think the wording would probably be "exile it, then return it to the battlefield under (your/it's owner's) control".)

Ashodin

Yeah, that's probably better from a rules complexity perspective. Having the object change zones handles a lot of the weirdness.

(Templating nit pick: I think the wording would probably be "exile it, then return it to the battlefield under (your/it's owner's) control".)

Ah shit you're probably right on the templating. Gotta fix!

vDJv04E.png

Fixedddddd

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ah shit you're probably right on the templating. Gotta fix!

vDJv04E.png

Fixedddddd

Isn't that keyword an infinite combo with any ability activated by sacrificing a creature? Maybe printable as a one-off ability on a high CMC creature, but as a keyword it would presumably also appear on lower cost creatures.

Sac to Viscera Seer to scry through your whole deck, sac to Altar of Dementia to auto mill your opponent, sac to Ashnod's altar for infinite colourless mana, etc.

EDIT: I suppose it would be like Annihilator, which was reserved for big bads.

Ashodin

Isn't that keyword an infinite combo with any ability activated by sacrificing a creature? Maybe printable as a one-off ability on a high CMC creature, but as a keyword it would presumably also appear on lower cost creatures.

Sac to Viscera Seer to scry through your whole deck, sac to Altar of Dementia to auto mill your opponent, sac to Ashnod's altar for infinite colourless mana, etc.

EDIT: I suppose it would be like Annihilator, which was reserved for big bads.

Yep. It's nutso with sac effects that do things. This type of creature as a commander would be hated on hard.

Hero

So this plus Mogg Fanatic or Ticking Gnomes or any sac creature is just win the game. Why not just make a card that says "You win the game."?

Ashodin

So this plus Mogg Fanatic or Ticking Gnomes or any sac creature is just win the game. Why not just make a card that says "You win the game."?

Because at 7 mana you have options until then? In commander you can see it coming; in a constructed deck you'd know real quick what to sideboard in or what route to take to avoid the win condition.

aidan

Because at 7 mana you have options until then? In commander you can see it coming; in a constructed deck you'd know real quick what to sideboard in or what route to take to avoid the win condition.

Any ability that lets you put it on the battlefield temporarily, such as Whip of Erebos, would allow you to get it into play early in the game, then infinitely repeat the sac ability. (Once the creature has been exiled by Indomitable, that fulfills Whip of Erebos's condition, so it won't be sacrificed by the Whip at the end of the turn.)

Ashodin

Any ability that lets you put it on the battlefield temporarily, such as Whip of Erebos, would allow you to get it into play early in the game, then infinitely repeat the sac ability. (Once the creature has been exiled by Indomitable, that fulfills Whip of Erebos's condition, so it won't be sacrificed by the Whip at the end of the turn.)

So you've extended it to a three card combo then? I mean, I get that there are cheaper ways to get cards back onto the battlefield. There are also answers.

aidan

So you've extended it to a three card combo then? I mean, I get that there are cheaper ways to get cards back onto the battlefield. There are also answers.

I'm just arguing that it's probably better off as a card-specific ability than a keyword.

Hero

Sorry to be the no fun police but honestly I've seen so many blatantly broken custom cards that it's not even interesting.

Now good commons and uncommons with interesting designs or mechanics, that would pique my interest.

Ashodin

Sorry to be the no fun police but honestly I've seen so many blatantly broken custom cards that it's not even interesting.

Now good commons and uncommons with interesting designs or mechanics, that would pique my interest.

That's totally fine. When I get to uncommons and commons that's when I find it's interesting to remake alongside other rares and stuff as well.

I think at this point in my EDH career I'm exclusively trying to come up with bad ideas that can still beat good decks.

Get to the front of the line, General Jarkeld! We've got work to do!

1upsuper

Decided to buy six packs of EM just to open something from the set. First pack had Liliana, and the last had Gisa and Geralf. Pretty solid.

Finally found the answer to how to template a PW ability that's a counter and it was way easier than imagined. I also wonder if making an emblem is also gonna fall under the create template

-2: Create an Emblem with "When an opponent casts a spell, sacrifice this emblem and counter that spell."

Bandini

Vintage Cube is still the best regularly played limited format.

Just had a very close game 1 and 2 with GUR against mono-red burn. Decided to cut blue game 3 and went up to 18 lands even though I had a lot of ramp. Was ready with Wurmcoil Engine and Loxodon Warhammer.
1.) Forest > Utopia Sprawl
2.) Forest > Wall of Blossoms > Arbor Elf
3.) Forest > Rampaging Baloths
4.) Mountain > 4/4 Beast trigger > Attack for 6 > Farseek > 4/4 Beast trigger > Solemn Simulacrum > 4/4 Beast Trigger

q8TuB.gif

Yeef

Finally found the answer to how to template a PW ability that's a counter and it was way easier than imagined. I also wonder if making an emblem is also gonna fall under the create template

-2: Create an Emblem with "When an opponent casts a spell, sacrifice this emblem and counter that spell."
You can't sacrifice non-permanents; it should be "exile this emblem."

You can't sacrifice non-permanents; it should be "exile this emblem."

That also works. Alternatively a less powerful version that could be a plus effect.

+1: Create an Emblem with "When an opponent casts a spell, exile this emblem and counter that spell. At the beginning of your next upkeep exile this emblem"

Yeef

That also works. Alternatively a less powerful version that could be a plus effect.

+1: Create an Emblem with "When an opponent casts a spell, exile this emblem and counter that spell. At the beginning of your next upkeep exile this emblem"
I'd argue that that's more powerful. Sure, it's less flexible, but as a + ability it protects the walker and can be used every turn.

Latest Developments - The M-Files: Eldritch Moon part 2
* Since green has so few options for creature removal, they are explicitly making green's fight and "one-sided fight" cards stronger than red's. This came up in relation to Galvanic Bombardment, which was originally a red one-sided fight card.
* Furyblade Vampire originally got a boost of +X/+0, where X is the converted mana cost of the card you discard. Of course, it was stupid powerful on a 1R creature, so they changed it.
* Incendiary Flow was originally Pillar of Flame.
* Harmless Offering was originally Humble Defector as a sorcery. That is, you gave an opponent control of a creature you controlled, and you drew two cards. There was a lot of arguing about color pie and who the card is intended for. They changed it to Donate to go all in on the Johnny appeal, and changed it from giving control to any player to just the opponent due to the interaction with Act of Treason (you could gain permanent control of the creature).
* Gnarlwood Dryad originally self-milled two cards every turn instead of having deathtouch.
* Spirit of the Hunt originally granted indestructible, but it was considered too close to Avacyn, and the toughness boosting was used to help against Languish.
* It seems like Dreadwaters was in the set at some point.
* Ishkanah originally cast Spider Spawning when it entered with delirium.
* It looks like Terrarion was intended to see Constructed play.

traveler

Not Wario
Just opened a sealed pool before heading into the office to see what my MTGO prerelease looks like....

fH6KswA.png

Alright, I guess that'll do.

(Yes, the Tamiyo is foil)

Aw fuck my ass, I thought EMN released on MtGO today, but it's just the overpriced prerelease tourney.

I still have to wait like a week and a half to improve my Delirium deck. -_-

So, a guy from my playgroup built a pauper cube (we have no previous experience with cubes). We only were 4 people today so we played Sealed. The problem was that there appeared to be way too much removal. Is this because there actual is way too much removal or is this because it was sealed (You basically have double the card pool than Draft and almost all of the removal is good so my theory is that you have almost twice as much playable removal in your pool than you would have in Draft)?

Can anyone with experience comment on this?

Firemind

i drafted edm-edm-soi for the first time and i hate it already

someone had two faith unbroken. two

he put one on a nearheath chaplain and i was like welp

So, a guy from my playgroup built a pauper cube (we have no previous experience with cubes). We only were 4 people today so we played Sealed. The problem was that there appeared to be way too much removal. Is this because there actual is way too much removal or is this because it was sealed (You basically have double the card pool than Draft and almost all of the removal is good so my theory is that you have almost twice as much playable removal in your pool than you would have in Draft)?

Can anyone with experience comment on this?
yes

pauper cube is dumb because the removal is amazing and the creatures are shit

One of today's Drive to Works is interesting, Vocabulary, where Mark Rosewater asks his daughter what she thinks various keywords and terms mean. Notably, even after she's told that milling refers to the library, she thinks it means to shuffle the library, and she doesn't get the connection between the term and the action even after it's explained. Also, she comes up with the idea of meld on her own and tells him to put it in the game.

Also, at the end of today's Daily Update, there's an interesting pure colorless Standard deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom