• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgjackson

pauper cube is dumb because the removal is amazing and the creatures are shit

Having built one for a weird format (head-to-head grid draft), I've got some insight into this - I think blue-based control is way too good in my cube because I neutered aggro a bit much and green has fuckall to do without decent ramp targets, both of which are things I'll look into fixing should I go back to the drawing board. But some of that is definitely a consequence of the card pool and were I to do it again I might just set a limit of a few bucks per card and try to build something between a reprint set and Legacy Cube in power level.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I pissed some dude playing Mono-U Prison off when I told him I was bored and was gonna just drop. Dude was just casting Pore Over the Pages 4 times and turn and shit like that. He seemed offended, by I assumed generating ragequits was the reason people play Prison decks (even though you're an asshole if you play a prison deck at FNM)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Latest Developments - The M-Files: Eldritch Moon part 2
* Since green has so few options for creature removal, they are explicitly making green's fight and "one-sided fight" cards stronger than red's. This came up in relation to Galvanic Bombardment, which was originally a red one-sided fight card.
* Furyblade Vampire originally got a boost of +X/+0, where X is the converted mana cost of the card you discard. Of course, it was stupid powerful on a 1R creature, so they changed it.
* Incendiary Flow was originally Pillar of Flame.
* Harmless Offering was originally Humble Defector as a sorcery. That is, you gave an opponent control of a creature you controlled, and you drew two cards. There was a lot of arguing about color pie and who the card is intended for. They changed it to Donate to go all in on the Johnny appeal, and changed it from giving control to any player to just the opponent due to the interaction with Act of Treason (you could gain permanent control of the creature).
* Gnarlwood Dryad originally self-milled two cards every turn instead of having deathtouch.
* Spirit of the Hunt originally granted indestructible, but it was considered too close to Avacyn, and the toughness boosting was used to help against Languish.
* It seems like Dreadwaters was in the set at some point.
* Ishkanah originally cast Spider Spawning when it entered with delirium.
* It looks like Terrarion was intended to see Constructed play.

I assumed Terrarion was put in the set for delirium in both constructed and limited, but its not nearly as good as Chromatic Star. I don't know if that's considered too good these days or what.

I assumed Terrarion was put in the set for delirium in both constructed and limited, but its not nearly as good as Chromatic Star. I don't know if that's considered too good these days or what.

If only explosive apparatus dealt 3 damage would play any day. The real issue with artifacts and delirium is that Hangarback is so bad against the myriad of exile effects in standard right now, heck even red can exile it.

I wonder if a madness ritual would have made madness more viable. Like

2R Sorcery
add RRRR to your mana pool
madness RR

Or if you want to get fancy and limit its power make it multicolour

2R - sorcery
Madness 1RB
add RRRR to your mana pool, if NAME's madness costs were paid add RRRBBB to your mana pool instead

This robo rosewater card would be amazing

4d2pplhgedcx.png

in green

You know, the only evergreen abilities that get referenced on cards nowadays are flying and defender (both to destroy them and to boost them). I wonder if we will eventually get something like that for deathtouch, like above, or some other ability.

I could see red getting some cards that deal more damage to creatures with vigilance. That ability is also used primarily in black's two enemies, so it could care about that.

Haste would be hard to care about, since so many tokens are said to have haste without it being printed on the token card. If not for that, I could see red having an effect like, "Whenever a creature you control with haste attacks, it gets +2/+0 and first strike until end of turn."

Angry Grimace

I don't think they do that token thing anymore. I think it was a mistake on WOTC's part w/r/t the Satyr Tokens in Theros block that they refused to own up to for no real reason because the tokens that have haste now say they have haste (Chandra's tokens and the similar ones in BFZ generated by the ally guy).

Angry Grimace

My prerelease pool had both Odric and Thalia's Lancer at the same time <3

ironmang

This U/G deck is pretty dope. Not sure how well it will fair on day two though.

Was thinking of picking up the pieces I don't own since they're only ~30 and it's probably better than GW tokens right now lol. I tried buying it off tcgplayer and of course instead of finding a way to group my cards together they decided to make 20 packages, with about half of them less than the $1 that's required to be shipped. Amazing how that site is still a mess after all these years.

Firemind

K4mcbvj.png

i tried to make a u/r spells deck but the last pack didn't cooperate. no rise from the tides :(

also i don't know why i thought the first take inventory would draw me two cards. it's literally a sorcery accumulated knowledge

Yeef

I don't think they do that token thing anymore. I think it was a mistake on WOTC's part w/r/t the Satyr Tokens in Theros block that they refused to own up to for no real reason because the tokens that have haste now say they have haste (Chandra's tokens and the similar ones in BFZ generated by the ally guy).
Chandra's tokens don't say haste.

The whole reason they leave haste off is because it doesn't matter after the first turn and the dimensions of token art with abilities is different than token art without abilities. Leaving off haste when there are no other abilities gives them flexibility in development since once the art's done it can't be changed.

bigkrev

....I just lost the 5th match of my prerelease on MTGO to go 3-2. I kept a good 7 card hand:

Forest
Forest
Forest
Prey Upon
Noose Constrictor
Puncuring Light
Hinterland Lager

Good draw for my somewhat aggresive W/G deck. My opponent is on a mulligan to 4 so it seems like a lock i'm going to win this one!

He kills the Noose Constrictor and Hinterland Lager, I never draw a white source or a green creature, and have to discard to hand size twice as I die after never casting a spell that wasn't in my opening hand.

Haines

Banned
Can anybody help

I keep losing sound playing magic online
Dunno how to get it back

Also opened a Liliana p1p1 online. How do I sell them on there

How my deck turned out:

kjhlkjqqxmy.png

Pretty fun, I'm slow as hell with Storm though. Lion's Eye Diamond + Yawgwill is the best. Probably the first time I ever picked Gush over Dig Through Time in a draft lol

Joe Molotov

My kind of deck! I'd be interested to know how it does.

I went 3-1 last night at FNM, beating G/W Humans, W Humans, and U/W Spirits. Ironically, my only loss was against another rogue aggro deck, U/R Prowess. I got blown out by Dual Shot, which is of course a card that I looked at for my deck, but dismissed because it didn't seem like there were enough x/1's being played to make it worthwhile. I sided in Rending Volley against him since all his creatures were blue except for Abbots, and he immediately 2-for-1's my Village Messenger and Falkenrath Gorger and then drops 2 Abbots while I had 2 Rending Volleys in hand. I had to laugh.

If I run this deck again, I think I'm going to test out the Lighting Axe/Fiery Temper combo in the main, moving Fiery Impulse and Borrowed Hostilities to the SB and adding Goblin Glory-Chasers to the side if I need to bring in some creatures.

I went 3-1 last night at FNM, beating G/W Humans, W Humans, and U/W Spirits. Ironically, my only loss was against another rogue aggro deck, U/R Prowess. I got blown out by Dual Shot, which is of course a card that I looked at for my deck, but dismissed because it didn't seem like there were enough x/1's being played to make it worthwhile. I sided in Rending Volley against him since all his creatures were blue except for Abbots, and he immediately 2-for-1's my Village Messenger and Falkenrath Gorger and then drops 2 Abbots while I had 2 Rending Volleys in hand. I had to laugh.

If I run this deck again, I think I'm going to test out the Lighting Axe/Fiery Temper combo in the main, moving Fiery Impulse and Borrowed Hostilities to the SB and adding Goblin Glory-Chasers to the side if I need to bring in some creatures.
Awesome, thanks for the impressions! My own mono-red brews weren't doing shit against GW Tokens or UW Spirits in playtesting. I have to ask, how was Lupine Prototype?

B/G Delirium has gone from fun little budget rogue to overpriced expensive option. :\

Maybe I'll look at U/G budget shenanigans.

What are the expensive cards?

You took the tutor <3

Channel is a little more powerful on its own, but it's hard to cast, in a color I don't think is especially strong and only works with certain cards. Demonic Tutor is splashable and works in more strategies. The only green combo card I like in Vintage Cube is Oath of Druids. Well, fastbond if you have crucible. But everything is good if you have crucible.

Yeef

I've been watching the SCG Open. Every feature match is "cool new deck" vs. Bant Company. I'd really like to see some non-company matchups.

Haines

Banned
Couple guys from my town are 8-1 in Sydney

Guess I never mentioned my town has some of the best magic community in Canada before.

London, Ontario

Figured out my sound issue. Some reason I can't minimize magic after I open it

Also figured out how to sell to bots

Enjoying watching bbd play. Guy is good

Santiako

Starcity's Day 2 metagame:

Bant Company &#8211; 53
G/W Tokens &#8211; 9
B/W Control &#8211; 6
W/R Humans &#8211; 5
Sultai Control &#8211; 5
G/B Delirium &#8211; 3
U/R Eldrazi &#8211; 3
B/W Angel Control &#8211; 3
Grixis Control &#8211; 3
U/W Spirits &#8211; 2
Abzan Control &#8211; 2
W/U Humans &#8211; 2
G/B Midrange &#8211; 2
U/R Emerge &#8211; 1
Naya Midrange &#8211; 1
Jund White &#8211; 1
Bant Spirits &#8211; 1
W/U Angels &#8211; 1
Jeskai Angels &#8211; 1
B/G Seasons Past &#8211; 1
Sultai Seasons Past &#8211; 1
Abzan Seasons Past &#8211; 1
Esper Dragons &#8211; 1
Esper Starfield &#8211; 1
G/R Ramp &#8211; 1
G/R Goggles &#8211; 1
R/W Goggles &#8211; 1
Bant Eldrazi &#8211; 1
U/W Eldrazi &#8211; 1
Big White &#8211; 1
Mono-Red Dragons &#8211; 1
Bant Rite &#8211; 1
G/U Crush &#8211; 1
Mardu Harmless Pact &#8211; 1
Mono-White Humans &#8211; 1
B/U Zombies &#8211; 1
G/B Aristocrats &#8211; 1
B/R Control &#8211; 1
B/R Vampires &#8211; 1

:/ what a boring mess, 42% of the meta is bant coco.

God's Beard! said:

I hardly think variety requires a "draw-go" control deck, and certain posters here are outspoken about their hatred for those decks.

(For those who don't understand the term, it refers to decks where you consistently end your turn after you draw your card, because your deck acts almost entirely on your opponent's turn, countering and destroying their stuff, and drawing cards if you don't have to do those, until you can bring out a finisher.)

Even when playing a draw go deck I hate it. It feels so good to play but for all the wrong reasons.
It's a love hate relationship just like with blue in general it's the most obnoxious colour by far but you can't just help yourself wanting to play it.

Angry Grimace

Chandra's tokens don't say haste.

The whole reason they leave haste off is because it doesn't matter after the first turn and the dimensions of token art with abilities is different than token art without abilities. Leaving off haste when there are no other abilities gives them flexibility in development since once the art's done it can't be changed.

Well I stand corrected, I could have sworn they had haste on them

The fuck?

Green really is the new Blue.

In concept, I don't have a problem. The fact that green's removal all requires creatures gives it a completely different feel from the other colors, and red didn't really need power-based removal when it has every other kind of damage-based removal. It's only an issue when green has stronger removal than red in Limited, like in Eldritch Moon, but that's something that gets adjusted every set.

I like draw-go but I don't necessarily prefer it to other types of control. I can live if it only exists in older formats.

do you have a time stamp? If I saw correctly he's actually using a silver medallion to indicate if he's played a land or not.

You know what, I can't find it. There was a thread on Reddit about it too but it got deleted and after digging around, it was probably justified.

El Topo

Draw-Go is absolutely miserable. Bant CoCo is a thousand times more fun to play against.

Even when playing a draw go deck I hate it. It feels so good to play but for all the wrong reasons.

Because it is very immediate, has universal answers, allows you to react and gives you the illusion that you are playing a much more complex game.
Wizards should focus on giving Red the well-deserved spotlight first.

Draw go control can stay forever dead. Nothing can make the feeling of having every play be countered past turn 2 anything but miserable, especially when they manage to keep you completely locked out while they basically solitaire themselves into a wincon.

I have zero issues with Blue getting
Effective counters, but when the entire deck plays at instant speed and effectively locks you out starting on turn 2 you develop a hatred for the archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom