• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I want to know whose bright idea it was to make a free turn 0 anti-burn anti-discard card with no color requirement that Red and Black have next to no way of destroying.

23.jpg

Play green and get these:
192.jpg
213.jpg

y2dvd

Fudge. Went 2nd place again on Gameday with my Tutelage deck. Forever cursed to 2nd! :( Tragic Arrogance owned me in the last match.

Oh well. Was a lot of fun with the deck I through together. I think with some tweaking and more prep, I could've had it. Milling is fun!

goddamn a 4 hour edh cube is just miserable.

if you ever try to spread damage around because it's a casual format, don't. just kill people.

Fudge. Went 2nd place again on Gameday with my Tutelage deck. Forever cursed to 2nd! :( Tragic Arrogance owned me in the last match.

Oh well. Was a lot of fun with the deck I through together. I think with some tweaking and more prep, I could've had it. Milling is fun!

better than my multiple 2nd places at pptqs

Daedardus

That coulda been meeeeee. lol glad to hear tron is doing well

The guy didn't have any counterspells, no Crumble to Dust, very little creature removal and being in Grixis instead of Jeskai meant no access to White spells such as Path and Stony Silence meaning he never had a chance to win the game.

Tron is really one of the worst matchups for control, but it isn't played as much as it used to.

Proud parent moment, my 12 year old daughter at her very first FNM.
It was a Modern event and her first match was against UW Merfolk (who went on to win the night).

IMG_20160812_195145.jpg

MaRo addresses how SOI's discarding is different from Odyssey's discarding.
starlightofpenguins asked: Don't confuse interesting and fun: isn't current SOI/EMN draft largely about something basically like Threshold and the discard enablers? Why is it a good idea now but a bad idea back in Odyssey block?

It’s the difference in execution. The correct play in Odyssey was to throw away your whole hand to give Patrol Hound first strike even though you didn’t care about it having first strike. Shadows over Innistrad is about being very careful which particular card you discard to get the precise effect you’re trying to achieve.

And GP Portland (Standard) Day 2 streaming now.

Harmless Offering deck going 9-1, playing right now.

EDIT: It's getting land screwed.

EDIT: Now three Demonic Pacts on the board.

Harmless Offering on Demonic Pact with a good mode still to go, in order to preempt Emrakul, for the win.

EDIT: Meanwhile, still in Black-Green Midrange vs. Blue-Green Crush still in game one. Or not.

kirblar

Here's where you don't wear a hat indoors: Church. Courtrooms. School.

Anywhere else is fine.

Cat Pact is hilarious - very glad I have the pieces already.

OnPoint

So, I ended up 4-3-1 in the end and didn't make day two. Here's a quick retrospective of things to consider:
  • Sometimes Tron just runs
    There are times where you will just hit your Tron lands
    and drop Karn + Ugin turn 3 then turn 4 and just lock
    the board down. There wasn't a time that happened
    where it wasn't just game over.​
  • Sometimes Tron just doesn't run
    Less commonly, sometimes you just don't get there.
    This feels really bad and there's just not much you
    can do about variance. Didn't happen to me all that
    much to be honest, though.​
  • Most of the time, the hate doesn't matter
    Didn't see one Crumble. Did see Ghost Quarter.
    Did see Blood Moon. The only time Quarter was
    a problem was when the Dredge player I tied with
    kept Loaming it back. I think people just weren't
    prepared for the deck, but that was nice. Honestly,
    I just eventually drew enough lands to hard cast stuff
    through the hate.​
  • Tron mulligans like a monster
    Every game I have ever mulled to 5 with this
    deck I have won. I have even won a mull to 4. It's insane.​
  • Always remember your triggers
    Sanctum of Ugin? Easy to miss, but really important
    to not. Someone plays Kataki? Don't move to your draw
    step. I did the first, but not the second. Also, be sure to
    name your mana with your Spheres and Stars before
    drawing. Didn't come up, but is really important.​
  • Just a few mistakes can be the difference
    For me, it was two mistakes. First match of the day,
    game two, I blanked and didn't deal with Blood Moon
    even though I could. It stretched the game out forever but
    I eventually got burnt out. Dang. Totally my fault. Then, in
    my final match, game three, I was unfamiliar with my
    matchup, picked the wrong ability on Karn and passed only
    to be combo'd out. If i didn't make either of those mistakes,
    I would have likely won another game, or another match.
    Both of those mistakes added up to two losses which helped
    put me out. Lame. Practice makes perfect.​

Couple other fun notes from the weekend:
  • Casting Emrakul 2.0 on a Boggles player and then putting Rancor on your Emrakul during his turn is AMAZING
  • Kozilek 2.0 was also a backbreaker any time I cast it
  • I ran into so many nice players, I definitley was lucky in that regard
  • Dredge sucks

Anyway thanks for rooting for me this weekend guys. Maybe next time I can learn from this and make day two!

Can't figure out your daughters deck. I see a pithing needlehero of bladehold and since I see only white I guess spectral procession. Mono white tokens?

It's a Soul Sisters shell with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Wall of Omens, Hero of Bladehold, and Archangel of Thune. There's even a single Elspeth Knight Errant and Baneslayer Angel.

It was a trial by fire for her because she has to pay attention to so many triggers.

Daedardus

Maybe a cap is an extremely common thing in America. I never see a regular one here, only those backwards caps that sit on the top of the head worn by 15 year olds.

That said, a cap is hideous, and it's stupid to wear inside. You should wear it only the protect you from the sun when working outside.

kirblar

It's a Soul Sisters shell with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Wall of Omens, Hero of Bladehold, and Archangel of Thune. There's even a single Elspeth Knight Errant and Baneslayer Angel.

It was a trial by fire for her because she has to pay attention to so many triggers.
Evo Kiki might be a good deck for her to try- a lot of my best finishes have been green-based decks with heavy tutoring. (Living Wish, Fauna Shaman, Birthing Pod.)

An-Det

Dredge put up 2 into the top 8 of the SCG. Crazy how much the new set has improved the deck.

2 Dredge
3 Jund
1 Infect
1 RG Through the Breach
1 UW Control

Evo Kiki might be a good deck for her to try- a lot of my best finishes have been green-based decks with heavy tutoring. (Living Wish, Fauna Shaman, Birthing Pod.)

I like what Jeff Hoogland has been doing. I've been watching his testing streams.

Creatures (28)

1 Spellskite
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Eternal Witness
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Restoration Angel
1 Reveillark
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Wall of Omens
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Lands (23)

2 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Raging Ravine
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Spells (9)

2 Chord of Calling
3 Path to Exile
4 Eldritch Evolution

Sideboard

3 Engineered Explosives
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Fulminator Mage
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Thragtusk
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast

Daedardus

Thanks for the summary OnPoint! Hope you do better next time! Did you think that Dredge was just unfun to play against or a hard matchup?

Some builds can have greedy and complex mana bases though. You'll need to keep a good eye on what to fetch and when to take the shock, not always easy if you haven't played a lot. I don't know her experience though.

Reminds me that I'm also doubting on which deck I should build next. Thinking of building a Abzan Company shell, but I could also play some Kiki. It has a big overlap in colors for the Jeskai deck though. Infect and Dredge are out of the question because I hate playing those and Jund is just too expensive.

Some builds can have greedy and complex mana bases though. You'll need to keep a good eye on what to fetch and when to take the shock, not always easy if you haven't played a lot. I don't know her experience though.

She seems to grasp it pretty well. She's played through the Duels of the Planeswalkers style games on PC and enjoys them. Her and I play a bit and she's even played Commander once or twice.

I actually had the Soul Sisters / Norin the Wary deck built for her but I thought that may be harder for her to manage so scaled it back to just Soul Sisters but dropped in some cool big threats.

Overall she had a blast but I'm not sure if she's ready for adding several colors and things to dig out of her deck.

For example sideboarding is a little hard for her.

Crocodile

I'm watching this GP and its just hilarious how Cat Pact is just ranching the competition. I mean we all saw this combo as soon as the cards were spoiled but kudos on this guy for actually going through with the joke :p

Daedardus

She seems to grasp it pretty well. She's played through the Duels of the Planeswalkers style games on PC and enjoys them. Her and I play a bit and she's even played Commander once or twice.

I actually had the Soul Sisters / Norin the Wary deck built for her but I thought that may be harder for her to manage so scaled it back to just Soul Sisters but dropped in some cool big threats.

Overall she had a blast but I'm not sure if she's ready for adding several colors and things to dig out of her deck.

For example sideboarding is a little hard for her.

Playing multiple colours right was hard for me in the beginning too, although deckbuilding was most likely a huge obstruction.

R/G Breach, that's never really been on my radar.

And Jund and Infect? That's something you never see in a Top 8. /s

EDIT: God that Dredge play was brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom