• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this deck?

Jeff Hoogland said:
Cqa0-ZvW8AAyTsz.jpg:large

Kiki Chord of course but archangel of tithes, only 2 chords, reveillark,...

El Topo

I mean, Eldritch Evolution allows you to play less Chord of Calling, Reveillark allows you to get back creatures you sacrificed (or lost otherwise). Tithes slows down aggressive decks.

It seems a bit all over the place even the sideboard, chord allows you to run a toolbox but it looks like it's trying to handle too many matchups at once instead of focusing on its own gameplan.

An-Det

Ended up getting top 4 at a 41-person modern pptq today with Jund. Aside from Blackcleave Cliffs, I love Jund.

I went 4-2 in the swiss, beating Abzan Company, Bushwacker Zoo, GR Tron, and Scapeshift with Nahiri/Emrakul, and losing to a different Abzan Company and Junk. The Company deck I lost to I got a game 1 DRE since my sideboard was listed as "1 Ancient Grudge, 2 Ancient Grudge" where the second line should have been "2 Anger of the Gods". That one went to game 3 which I punted.

Top 8 was vs Bushwacker Zoo (different person), then lost to Burn in the semi's.

alternade

Whew. Went 4-1 in our local EDH tourney tonight. Played Bant Blink Toolbox with Roon. I think I'm finally starting to get deck building. Before I would just pack everything that was in those colors that was good without a real strategy to win. I got compliments on how tight my list was. I had a hard lock on the game with seedborn muse, mystic snake, eldrazi displacer and solemn simulacrum.

OnPoint

So I know they were waiting for the weekend pre-release events for Con2 to fire so those stores could show stuff off, when does the full spoiler go up?

Lucario

Now that I see the commons, I'm liking this set even more.

Hidden Agenda seems to be handled much better this time around. There are no "purposely bad" creatures in every color to enable big payoffs with them, and the Screeching Seahawk cycle is gone. Don't get me wrong, I like risk/reward, but it felt pretty damn bad in to first pick agendas all draft only to have your Lizard Warriors cut off. Creature power levels are similar enough this time around that it doesn't really matter if your Garrulous Syncophant/double Assemble the Rank and Vile strategy is cut off by someone who picked a pack 2 Weight Advantage.

Speaking of which, am I wrong to think that Weight Advantage is easily the highest P1P1 in the set? Nearly the entire W/B monarch deck has higher toughness than power. Blue fares even better - between Omenspeaker, Jeering Hononculus, Illusionary Informant, Deceiver Exarch, and Canal Courier, you're just going to run over every other deck at the table. I'm unreasonably excited at the idea of picking up one of those, a few Homonculi, and a Hired Heist to draw into more. Just ignore politics and beat every other player senseless while forcing them to attack each other.

Odd that there's only one card with double agenda.

MaRo introduces the Council of Colors. I thought this was going to be one of his script articles, but it's a real thing. The members of the general (not set-specific) design team, besides MaRo and MaGo (Mark Gottlieb), have been assigned a color to focus on. Late in development for each set, when it's mostly settled but can still be changed, they examine every card for how in-color it is, and provide suggested fixes for out-of-color cards. This has been going on for over a year, and they've at least worked on Shadows over Innistrad block. More recently, they've started having occasional meetings for general color pie issues, including figuring out new design space.

Hero

MaRo introduces the Council of Colors. I thought this was going to be one of his script articles, but it's a real thing. The members of the general (not set-specific) design team, besides MaRo and MaGo (Mark Gottlieb), have been assigned a color to focus on. Late in development for each set, when it's mostly settled but can still be changed, they examine every card for how in-color it is, and provide suggested fixes for out-of-color cards. This has been going on for over a year, and they've at least worked on Shadows over Innistrad block. More recently, they've started having occasional meetings for general color pie issues, including figuring out new design space.

Maybe red will finally get something interesting that isn't burn.

Edit:

I like how out of all the things that could possibly be used as the first example, Chaos Warp is it.

really? It's like red's only way to deal with non artifact permanents that don't die to damage.
Well... yeah. That's the issue right there. Red's not supposed to be able to do that on its own.

and it's not been that long since they gave blue
Blue has had "destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated, that creature's controller gets a token / puts a permanent card from their library onto the battlefield" for a very long time, and replacing "bury" with "exile" is a change to better fit the flavor of transforming.

We've had arguments in these threads before about whether blue should have this ability, but it's considered part of blue by Wizards, and these cards have rarely seen Constructed tournament play anyway due to the card disadvantage involved for the caster.

In any case, one of the examples in the article seems to point to them shifting away from this ability in blue in favor of auras that set power/toughness.
Adapting how a color does something

We want to tweak how exactly a color does something mechanically. Philosophically it's doing the same thing, but the mechanics around it are changing slightly. An example of this would be us trying to have blue rewrite power/toughness rather than replace the creature with a token.

Chaos Warp was a Commander card and is playable in a whopping two formats.

People here like charlequin have argued that the color pie should be greatly expanded for non-blue colors in Eternal products, but MaRo believes that the modern color pie should be used for every new card, no matter the format, and the creation of this council reflects that the rest of Wizards is committed to this.

Hero

People here like charlequin have argued that the color pie should be greatly expanded for non-blue colors in Eternal products, but MaRo believes that the modern color pie should be used for every new card, no matter the format, and the creation of this council reflects that the rest of Wizards is committed to this.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. All I'm saying is there are more egregious examples of color pie bending that actually effects almost all of their officially supported formats and that for colors that actually break the pie consistently, red is on the bottom of that totem pole.

Well... yeah. That's the issue right there. Red's not supposed to be able to do that on its own.
and that's stupid because of formats like EDH where colour matters. Deficiencies are fine if it's equally spread but that is far from the case, not to mention that chaos warp is from a supplemental product.
The randomness of chaos warp is great and fitting in red, I've used that card countless times to disrupt combos and it's been hilarious more often than not. It's all around a great card.
Blue has had "destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated, that creature's controller gets a token / puts a permanent card from their library onto the battlefield" for a very long time, and replacing "bury" with "exile" is a change to better fit the flavor of transforming.
Exile and bury make a huge difference and I disagree that it's even more fitting to the flavour of it, a transformation should be reversible after all.
We've had arguments in these threads before about whether blue should have this ability, but it's considered part of blue by Wizards, and these cards have rarely seen Constructed tournament play anyway due to the card disadvantage involved for the caster.
Blue shouldn't, at best it should have those affects temporarily or enchantment based. Rapid Hybridization just saw play during mono blue devotion. Reality Shift is in every fucking Mono U EDH deck because it exiles

Hero

Maro's insane insistence on Red not being able to deal with them (black has discard and Liliana Ult effects) is absolutely insane.

Yup. Green and white have disenchant abilities, black can make them discard or sac effects like you said, and blue can counter/bounce, but red? Nah, get fucked. Enjoy shitty burn spells for the millionth time and enjoy it.

It's even more pathetic that the one thing red is good at destroying (artifacts) is shared by green and white. How is that balanced?

cuc

Red can benefit from a full suite of effects themed on warping energy flows: changing targets, stealing counters, making enchantments damage their owners, that sort of thing.

OnPoint

Red needs more effects themed on warping energy flows: changing targets, making enchantments damage their owners, that sort of thing.

I agree with this. You could even theme red inspiring anger in the target and making the player sacrifice an enchantment. It's not targeted removal and it's in flavor as far as I'm concerned. Red can't target intangible things, I get it. But it sure as hell can target its controller.

OnPoint

You can make very strong punisher cards that allow the opponent to avoid the effect by saccing an enchantment.
I am down with this.

• Take 10 damage
  • Sacrifice an enchantment

I made him an offer he couldn't refuse
_____________________​
Print it.
I know I don't have the wording right. Fix it if you like :)

bigkrev

I am down with this.

• Take 10 damage
  • Sacrifice an enchantment

I made him an offer he couldn't refuse
_____________________​
Print it.

Sweet! I guess I jam 4 of this in every red deck ever and side it out if they are actually playing enchantments?

OnPoint

Sweet! I guess I jam 4 of this in every red deck ever and side it out if they are actually playing enchantments?

You'd have to word it in a way that the opponent could select the sac mode if they didn't have one. Otherwise it's 10 damage for 3 mana. I know my wording is wrong lol

Andrew Cuneo has a cool-looking Splendid Reclamation deck up on the CFB youtube, but I just can't watch him play.

"I could wait one turn and copy my Awakened Part the Waterveil with Mirrorpool after I crack my evolving wilds and really shut this game down since I'm not facing close to lethal and I have no other carrds in hand. Let's fire it off now and try to topdeck."

"I could get back Sylvan Advocate and copy it, attack for 10 with my manland and threaten to end the game in a turn or two since my opponent is almost hellbent and I'm starting to get uncomfortably low on life. I'm going to get Jace instead because I can use him to flashback Pieces of the Puzzle next turn. Besides, if he draws a removal spell that would kill Jace but not Sylvan Advocate I can just copy the Jace!"

"This game is going to be close." <- Actual quote

He didn't miss the lines, he really did go through them and then choose the wrong answer every single time. And this is all in the first game of round one.

bigkrev

I actually think you could make a remand style ability work in red, with the flavor being that you are just delaying the inevitable, but I can't find the right way to cost it (it's something that should cost 1 and a half mana) or have it work without lots of text or using Time Spiral terms

Example:
R
Exile target Spell. At the beginning its controllers upkeep they may cast that spell from exile for free as though it had Split Second. If that spell is a creature, it gains haste.

bigkrev

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure Contraptions are in Kaladesh

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149263351573/what-are-the-chances-of-mechanic-e-standing-for
different ways:
Contraptions are not in Kakadesh block.
Neither the word “assemble” nor the word “contraption” appears in the rules text of any card in the Kaladesh block.
The creature type Rigger does not appear in Kaladesh block.
Steamflogger Boss will not be a fan of Kakadesh block. Okay, maybe he will but not because there are contraptions.
There are no cards inside of a Kaladesh booster that allow you to assemble contraptions or are contraptions or care about contraptions.
Contraption caring cards in Kaladesh block? Zero.
Ixnay onay ontraptionscay.
I’m excited so many players would like to see contraptions because that means the day I crack and print them will make many people happy. That day though is not this fall (Northern Hemisphere).

ultron87

They wouldn't rename it. The entire point of the exercise is to make Steamflogger Boss do something. If they didn't have to do that it wouldn't be difficult.

PsionBolt

You'd have to word it in a way that the opponent could select the sac mode if they didn't have one. Otherwise it's 10 damage for 3 mana. I know my wording is wrong lol

The simplest way is to word it like existing Browbeat effects.
"Target opponent may have ~ deal 10 damage to him or her. If that player doesn't, he or she sacrifices an enchantment."
Or because they tend to word such effects with multiplayer in mind:
"Any opponent may have ~ deal 10 damage to him or her. If no player does, each opponent sacrifices an enchantment."

Crocodile

Now that I see the commons, I'm liking this set even more.

Hidden Agenda seems to be handled much better this time around. There are no "purposely bad" creatures in every color to enable big payoffs with them, and the Screeching Seahawk cycle is gone. Don't get me wrong, I like risk/reward, but it felt pretty damn bad in to first pick agendas all draft only to have your Lizard Warriors cut off. Creature power levels are similar enough this time around that it doesn't really matter if your Garrulous Syncophant/double Assemble the Rank and Vile strategy is cut off by someone who picked a pack 2 Weight Advantage.

Speaking of which, am I wrong to think that Weight Advantage is easily the highest P1P1 in the set? Nearly the entire W/B monarch deck has higher toughness than power. Blue fares even better - between Omenspeaker, Jeering Hononculus, Illusionary Informant, Deceiver Exarch, and Canal Courier, you're just going to run over every other deck at the table. I'm unreasonably excited at the idea of picking up one of those, a few Homonculi, and a Hired Heist to draw into more. Just ignore politics and beat every other player senseless while forcing them to attack each other.

I mean there are still a lot of pretty jank commons (Why is Caller of Gales or Copperhorn Scout in this set?) but I do agree overall they seem better than last time. A lot of jank rares also got spoiled at the end but that's kind of par the course for Magic Sets :p

Overall this product still looks like a success. Still, where the fuck is Damnation?

Huh. I just assumed it was one of Maro dumb role-playing articles and I ignored it. I guess I should go read it.

I bet if Maro (or someone at R&D) had a time machine, the FIRST thing he would do would be to make sure Steamflogger Boss never got printed. At the very least I'm sure more than one member of R&D wakes up and regrets that card exists :p

OnPoint

The simplest way is to word it like existing Browbeat effects.
"Target opponent may have ~ deal 10 damage to him or her. If that player doesn't, he or she sacrifices an enchantment."
Or because they tend to word such effects with multiplayer in mind:
"Any opponent may have ~ deal 10 damage to him or her. If no player does, each opponent sacrifices an enchantment."

I like that second one better. Makes it play well in EDH.

I feel like the solution that's most likely to get them to budge would just be to print an artifact or colorless spell that can destroy an enchantment.

Hex Dispeller - 3
Artifact
Tap, Sacrifice Hex Dispeller: Destroy target enchantment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom