• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata Interview w/ Yosuke Saito and Keiichi Okabe

Hektor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-_FKlHRRQ

Probably more shoot'em up/Bullethell than you will expect

Yoko Taro always wanted to make a Bullethell game, but Square Enix doesn't allow him to, that's why this element is in Nier, since it was also always a dream of his to make a game that is multiple genres at once.

Keichii Okabe is barely getting any information about the games and scenes before he's making the OST for them.

The Robots are looking so cute because Yoko Taro doesn't want you to kill them.

Yosuke Saito likes to work with Yoko Taro because he thinks he can trust him and that he has very strong ideas that he isn't willing to compromise.

Yoko Taro and Keiichi Okabe know each other from college

Apparently the theme song exists in a bunch of dfferent versions each sung by a different person. (I'd guess once for every ending, like in the first game)

They really want to do concerts in the west, but have concern about it being successful. The decision is kinda hinging upon Automata's success, the same is true for the localization of eventual spin-off material like Mangas or anime.

Yoko Taro wants to create a "theatrical performance" in Japan

The PC version is developed by P*

They're unsure if most people on PC will be able to run it at console specs of 1080p60FPS, so they're considering to create a lower spec version for players that don't have high-end machines

€: Locked to 1080p/60FPS

Now that Square Enix seems to be finally doing Vinyl OSTs, I'd love for a Nier one to go along wit hthe game release. It is probably their best OST currently along with FFXIV.

Hektor per your second to last point, they WON'T allow it. Same specs as PS4.

1080p 60FPS

Well that's bullshit. How can they make a game that will run 1080p/60fps on the PS4 (less than 2tflop machine and awful CPU) run worse on computers with 4,6,8 powerful cores and much, much more powerful GPUs.

Gbraga

They already said they want to support at least up to 4K though, that was probably some translation weirdness, or just talking about the current state of the port.

Nyoro SF

The Robots are looking so cute because Yoko Taro doesn't want you to kill them.

lel

Great interview SilentRob!

Hektor per your second to last point, they WON'T allow it. Same specs as PS4.

1080p 60FPS

Wait, so resolution and framerate are locked again? Are they really doing this just so that they can maintain parity with PS4 or something?

And the low spec comment is weird; if you have proper graphical scaling options in all directions then you already have made it possible to play the game on low-spec machines. Unless your memory allocation programming is awful or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well that's bullshit. How can they make a game that will run 1080p/60fps on the PS4 (less than 2tflop machine and awful CPU) run worse on computers with 4,6,8 powerful cores and much, much more powerful GPUs.

I assume that's a comment toward emerging markets, which is a big push for Square Enix.

NeoRaider

Looking at some screenshots they released, game looks like it's higher than 1080p, then downsampled. But maybe it's just me.

I don't know why wouldn't retail version support higher resolutions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I watched the PC part of the interview. Basically they're currently planning to release the game with the PS4 setup on PC, but are considering adding graphics options/etc for lower end machines. This seems pretty normal for a PC port of a console game.

So they want them to experience the game at the best experience, so I guess they are worried about people who can't run it at 60FPS which is kinda silly. I also think they don't have as good of a grasp of exactly how many people have quality rigs in the WEst.

I mean I am playing on PS4 so it won't effect me but I think that it is kinda silly to not have those options for PC though.

NeoRaider

I watched the PC part of the interview. Basically they're currently planning to release the game with the PS4 setup on PC, but are considering adding graphics options/etc for lower end machines. This seems pretty normal for a PC port of a console game.

What does this mean exactly? 1080p/60fps game without any options? Doesn't sound normal to me.

Also game is not ported to PC. This is not a port. It's vice versa, they are working on the game on PC then porting it and optimizing for PS4, that's what they said.

Exentryk

1080p max res for PC version is a shame. Durante, please unlock 4K.
The frame rate doesn't bother me because my tv can only do 60 fps anyway, and I'm fine with that.

Edit: Having said that, 1080p60 is still good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does this mean exactly? 1080p/60fps game without any options? Doesn't sound normal to me.

Also game is not ported to PC. This is not a port. It's vice versa, they are working on the game on PC then porting it and optimizing for PS4, that's what they said.

Okay so if you remember the mid-tier games from last generation, a lot of them had very limited graphics options because they essentially built a game for consoles (even if it was developed on PC) and then just shipped those assets as the final game for PC.

Sometimes they had settings like changing anti-aliasing or shadow quality, but you didn't really have a set of improved (or lowered quality) art assets and other types of scaling you see in more PC oriented products.

Based on what he's saying in the interview, that's what I get the impression he's talking about, but yes it's not impossible the thing has a resolution lock. I'd expect it probably does have a framerate cap.

Parsnip

Thanks for the summary!

The PC stuff phrasing is a bit weird, but it's platinum so I trust they know by now how this stuff works.

SilentRob

Sadly, SilentRob forgot to ask the question if the first game will be ported over to PC...

Yeah, that still bums me out a little bit but we were already way overtime (as you can see by my hurried good-bye at the end) so I just had to choose between a Automata PC port or Nier PC port question. But I have to imagine someone asked that during one of the two dozen interviews they gave during gamescom, right?

Great interview SilentRob!

Thanks! :)

Wait... is it uncertain that we'll get options below 1080p?..

That's a huge bummer. :(

My PC is a laptop from 2013 and it isn't 1080p (1600x900) so I'm screwed if it doesn't have lower options... :c

Crayon

There exist pcs with less graphical ability than the ps4. In great number.

Gbraga

Finally watching it! Amazing interview, thank you so much for that, Rob!

I love that you ask all of the things that would be destined to be fan speculation or maybe answered down the line in some Famitsu interview or whatever. It's unfortunately rare to get interviews where the people conducting it are passionate about the product and know a lot about it to ask better questions that need to be specifically asked so people can know, instead of the usual generic questions that can be answered by the official press release.

Fantastic to know that Yoko gave directions of when the music should be calmer, when it should climax and stuff like that, so the way it matches the action so perfectly did come from him, probably with some input from Platinum, since this is right up their alley, with the music picking up with the different stages of the fight.

It's also always a delight to see just how much fun these guys always have when giving interviews, especially to you. Yoko is just weird, but you can see how it reflects the overall mood for the game production. Everyone is always having fun, it's not just the weird director being weird, they're always making dumb jokes and it's in part because of the environment you create with these focused interviews. They know they're talking to people who get it, so they can allow themselves to be goofy without worrying it might reflect poorly on the product. They know we'll just love it even more for it.

I can't believe we're getting both Persona 5 and Nier Automata Early 2017. Those two will already consume my life for the whole year, I'm sure.

Moonkid

Saw the interview they gave with IGN, another is even more awesome.

On the possibility of concerts in the west, Final Symphony has been pretty popular and is even coming to NZ, with an extra night added I believe, so fingers crossed something happens.

Hypron

I'll take a look at the interview later.

I really really hope it's not locked at 1080p though, I've got a 1440p screen and don't want it to look blurry... Hopefully it's just a mistranslation like other people said.

Guys, it's Platinum, they already showed what they are capable in terms of ports. I'm not worried at all about it.

MGR didn't go above 1080p though...

Gbraga

I mean, if this is confirmed to be UE4, it might be as simple as changing an ini file, even if they don't support it natively. So they might as well give that option.

I think he just didn't really know about the technical side, and gave that answer in a "yeah, don't worry, PC users will get the high end experience" way. And later added "oh, but we're not forgetting people with lower specs either!"

SilentRob

Finally watching it! Amazing interview, thank you so much for that, Rob!

I love that you ask all of the things that would be destined to be fan speculation or maybe answered down the line in some Famitsu interview or whatever. It's unfortunately rare to get interviews where the people conducting it are passionate about the product and know a lot about it to ask better questions that need to be specifically asked so people can know, instead of the usual generic questions that can be answered by the official press release.

Wow man, that's so nice of you to say that, thanks!

I also just can't state often enough how nice and thankful these guys are. When Saito-san recognized me he sent Yoko-san an image and he wrote back in utterly broken german, saying hello. Just a small thing but you can really see how much their fans' support means to them.
I'm writing up an impression from my hands-on with the game right now and will probably post that in another thread, but yeah, it only cemented to me how great this game could really turn out.

Gbraga

Wow man, that's so nice of you to say that, thanks!

I also just can't state often enough how nice and thankful these guys are. When Saito-san recognized me he sent Yoko-san an image and he wrote back in utterly broken german, saying hello. Just a small thing but you can really see how much their fans' support means to them.
I'm writing up an impression from my hands-on with the game right now and will probably post that in another thread, but yeah, it only cemented to me how great this game could really turn out.

You're welcome!

Looking forward to that post. Was the footage you showed during the interview part of your own time with the game? I don't remember seeing that exact footage anywhere else, just the same place and enemies, but never played quite the same way. It did a nice job at showing the multiple weak spots on enemies and stuff like that.

And it's really great to know this bit about the picture. They really do come accross that way on interviews, but even doing that kind of stuff off camera just shows that it's not just "their thing", but their personality.

Kudo

Not really concerned about this, the game will be so popular I'd expect resolution unlock in few days after release if there is a way to do one, and if not, I can live with 1080p/60fps.
We know nothing about the port yet so too early to judge. Also it most definitely will be a "port" in a sense that PS4 is the lead platform, so far into the development can't see them changing that.
We'll just have to wait and see how it goes, there's still months to release, would be nice to have that demo before release.

And that was their first pc port.
The real question is, what about the games that came after Rising?

Korra was the same. Transformers was the same.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan was apparently locked at 30fps

Those are, of course, the licensed games so they might do something more with Nier, I guess.

Parsnip

Those are, of course, the licensed games so they might do something more with Nier, I guess.

This is a bit surprising to me, I would have imagined that I would have seen someone complain about all of it.

Could you still play those games at higher resolution with modding?

As someone who has an high end PC - I do hope that this game isn't shouted down all across the GAFosphere if the PC port is only acceptable.

Christ - we are getting a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time. A sequel no one would have dreamed we would be getting. A sequel to a game that was quite the technical mess - but still managed to be incredible.

It was only a couple weeks ago that joy erupted all over my GAFface as it was announced we were getting a PC version. Long may the joy continue.

Top Bottom