• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

I didn't expect the GP Indy stream to start so early. Fuck yes.

Sooner or later they will print new pain lands with generic (not Dominarian) names.

No reason they can't put them into one of the bunch of the other releases they do every year. Hell, Modern Masters 2017 is the perfect place for them.

Santiako

That dude's full foil japanese abzan deck is effing gorgeous.

This commentary pair so bad. They ain't saying anything. I keep thinking the audio got cut off.

Yeah, they don't have great chemistry, Marshall is much more talkative with Gaby or LSV.

This is the Narset superfriends first draft.
8qjaK9y.png

I was just thinking about a freezing PW. The +1 could be templated as

1UU
Planeswalker -
+1:"Tap target untapped creature. That creature doesn't untap until a player activates an ability of [CARDNAME]."
-X:"Take control of target creature with converted manacost X."
-5:"Tap all creatures target player controls. Draw a card."

Become Immense seems like an inevitable ban at this point.
Im not watching the stream but I assume you're talking about Infect. It's sad that they are closing off the design space of good pump spells because of a stupid mechanic that they never should have printed.

kirblar

Im not watching the stream but I assume you're talking about Infect. It's sad that they are closing off the design space of good pump spells because of a stupid mechanic that they never should have printed.
It's also in Suicide Zoo. The issue is Delve, as usual.

Santiako

Every time I think that Abzan might be better positioned than Jund right now, I then remember that Abzan doesn't have Raging Ravine or Blackcleave Cliffs.

Become Immense was mentioned by P. Sully last week as a ban target because of how strong/warping it is. Getting rid of it also means that the likely hood of Infect/Death's Shadow Turn 2ing you is greatly decreased, right?

kirblar

Become Immense was mentioned by P. Sully last week as a ban target because of how strong/warping it is. Getting rid of it also means that the likely hood of Infect/Death's Shadow Turn 2ing you is greatly decreased, right?
Correct. You can compare it to Blazing Shoal in a lot of ways.

Every time I think that Abzan might be better positioned than Jund right now, I then remember that Abzan doesn't have Raging Ravine or Blackcleave Cliffs.

And perhaps even Bolt. So many times I see an Abzan player get their opponent down to 2 or 3 life and think if they only had a bolt it would be game over.

I've finished many games with Bolt or Kolaghan's Command.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215182320]I'm not taking Modern seriously again until Cabal Therapy gets printed in.

You hear me, Wizards? I'm boycotting your dead format![/QUOTE]

Cabal Therapy is one of my all time favourite cards, but with Probe in the format, it'd be way too good.

+1:"Tap target untapped creature. That creature doesn't untap until a player activates an ability of [CARDNAME]."

This lets you tap the creature in response to counter the lockdown effect.

the worst sun titan

Spikey McSpikerson looks like a sack of butts compared to the other two.

it doesn't even make sense how giant white armored dude can resurrect dudes

Uhhhh glinty eyes duder.

This guy has no idea how to play against Lantern. So many punts.

Lantern is wong factor of MTG.

I tried to stay away from extra turns, expropriate is the exception since it can just be a blatant thievery, if I want to go cutthroat I'm busting out Zur. Otherwise you're probably right, cuts are going to be hard since PWs aren't much of an option if I want to retain Deploy hits.

Scroll Rack
Sensei's Top
Brainstorm
Mind's Dilation
Cryptic Command
Sphere of Safety
Mystical Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Monastery Mentor

I don't think your deck particularly benefits from any of these effects. Especially cryptic which is a pretty miserable flip off Narset.

My personal recommendations would be

Waves of Aggression
Time Stretch
Time Warp
Walk the Aeons
Wayfarer's Bauble
Mind Stone
Coldsteel Heart
Generator Servant
Hammer of Purphoros

This is just me, but I would even consider cutting the mutavault for a Crystal Vein. Getting out Narset early really is that important. It's not really whether or not it's cutthroat, I just think it's what the deck is asking for once you start sticking Narset and all those planeswalkers in. Basically anything you could be doing is gonna be worse than dumping all the planeswalkers and activating them a bunch of times.

If you don't want to annoy people you could put stuff like The Chain Veil in there instead to keep it fun without going off theme. Frankly, the first time you dump three planeswalkers on turn five people are going to assume you're cutthroat anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Disagree

He looks like he's modelling more than engaging combat.

that's not even the worst it resurrects lands in combat. *Warcry* *swords clashing* *mountain rising in the background*
I always thought it was funny using it to get Bazaar of Baghdad out of the graveyard.

This lets you tap the creature in response to counter the lockdown effect.

+1:"Tap target creature not affected by this ability. It doesn't untap until a player activates an ability of CARDNAME."

Does this templating work? I'd like it to be a freeze effect but I also don't want the PW to be able to grow by continuously locking the same creature down. Sounds a bit too cumbersome and unintuitive.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215191569]Scroll Rack
Sensei's Top
Brainstorm
Mind's Dilation
Cryptic Command
Sphere of Safety
Mystical Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Monastery Mentor

I don't think your deck particularly benefits from any of these effects. Especially cryptic which is a pretty miserable flip off Narset.

My personal recommendations would be

Waves of Aggression
Time Stretch
Time Warp
Walk the Aeons
Wayfarer's Bauble
Mind Stone
Coldsteel Heart
Generator Servant
Hammer of Purphoros

This is just me, but I would even consider cutting the mutavault for a Crystal Vein. Getting out Narset early really is that important. It's not really whether or not it's cutthroat, I just think it's what the deck is asking for once you start sticking Narset and all those planeswalkers in. Basically anything you could be doing is gonna be worse than dumping all the planeswalkers and activating them a bunch of times.

If you don't want to annoy people you could put stuff like The Chain Veil in there instead to keep it fun without going off theme.[/QUOTE]
Hmm I'll have to think about it, not using SDT is a hard ask but you might be right same with Scroll Rack while the synergy is obvious. From what I've tried I rarely felt cards stranded in my hand. In regards to extra turns and combat phases I'm going to hamstring myself though.
Brago does about the same as what chain veil does if not better. I'm gonna try it with more ramp though I think talisman of domination would be above some of the options and there's another equipment that gives haste for 1 and 1.
Why would you cut Sphere, Mystical and Enlightened tutor? 2 of those combo amazingly with Narset and Sphere protects the PWs contrary to Ghostly Prison and Propaganda. Mystical in response to the trigger search up cataclysm for instance.

I'm gonna try cutting the SDT and Scroll Rack as well as the Brainstorm and Cryptic for now. Also gonna replace a land with gemstone caverns, probably the beacon.Thanks for the help. Should I try find some room for Keranos and/or Heliod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom