• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korgill

Weight Advantage + 2x Jeering Homunculus equaled easy wins for me. So many 2 mana fliers that were basically 3/3 made it easy.

Oh boy at the Drama on Reddit regarding Ali Antrazi. This is like last year's scandal regarding what's his face in terms of "He's apologized, so it Totally excuses his actions" from groups on Reddit.

I guess that'd be a keep.
tJfwETk.png

Surprisingly, MaRo's State of Design articles aren't that popular (once you account for the tone and recognize a typo)
bassimelwakil asked: Couldn't you free up the space on your state of design by doing two a year? One for each block? The future part of them was the most favourite article thing you did the whole year round for me. :( I like your articles but it was my number #1 highlight by a long margin.

The State of Design articles have their fans but it is not one of my lesser read columns each year. I keep it because I feel it is important, but I don’t think it warrants two articles.

Sixth Age of Magic officially set
chandiggity-blog asked: Can you give an overview of the Ages of magic according to r&d?

I just recorded a whole podcast on the (currently) six ages of Magic design.

Short version:

First age: Alpha through Alliances

Second age: Mirage through Prophecy

Third age: Invasion through Saviors of Kamigawa

Fourth Age: Ravnica through Rise of the Eldrazi

Fifth age: Scars of Mirrodin through Journey into Nyx

Sixth age: Khans of Tarkir to present

Confirmation that there are other unique supplemental products already coming (as opposed to them just repeating Masters, Conspiracy, etc. for a while)
drcoury asked: Are there other supplemental ideas floating around R&D? As wacky as Conspiracy is, there must be room for other alternative formats like Planechase and Archenemy.

We have a few ideas. : )

kirblar

Oh boy at the Drama on Reddit regarding Ali Antrazi. This is like last year's scandal regarding what's his face in terms of "He's apologized, so it Totally excuses his actions" from groups on Reddit.
Just ran across it. This is going to cause a whole lot of angry discourse because there is no "right" answer here.

they did ban ass crack dude, this was way worse.

Asscrack dudes ban is still one of the wierdest things, because while he "hurt the game's image" is a true statement, it was definitely done in Jest and isn't something that's Magic Exclusive. It could have happened at any gathering that appeals to nerds who have less hygenine sense.

The biggest issue I have with the Antrazi issue is that he promised that he would write an article on it, and a Facebook post is far from an Article. One would be Antrazi(and by merit of association by allowing him to write said article TCGPlayer, one of the biggest groups in Magic in terms of Community pull) making a statement that Misogony/Transphobia/Bigotry is not appropriate for Magic's Community. Instead, you've got a half-baked "apology" that has limited reach being a Facebook post.

The bile that's being used is a bit overboard, but I can understand her anger in this position.

The Article in question, for those curious:

https://medium.com/@sagegnosis/a-ta...g-syracuse-and-myself-7b3efcae7223#.wm5h03479

Someone either post a link or a summary of what the Antrazi thing is

https://medium.com/@sagegnosis/a-ta...g-syracuse-and-myself-7b3efcae7223#.z8rmceq67

tl;dr he harassed a trans woman at SCG Syracuse, got kicked out of the venue, agreed to write an apology article, posted it as a facebook status only, she was unhappy and wrote a response post.

The bile that's being used is a bit overboard, but I can understand her anger in this position.

It's pretty much always a mess in this type of situation because people's anger is often just gonna build and build since there's no practical outlet for it. Given what he did, getting banned from the venue was never actually gonna make her feel better, and so it's not a surprise that nothing else later on would do so either.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215228262]I haven't seen it, but is it worse than Drew Levin casually informing the public of a player's unrelated criminal history unprompted?[/QUOTE]

Oh god, thanks for reminding me of that

red13th

Just read the response post. What the hell was Ali thinking?

She said it herself, Ali thought he was joining in on a joke. Gerry Thompson and Brad Nelson once lost bets and showed up to an event in dresses. Ali was probably thinking it was that sort of thing. Getting lost in the friendly atmosphere of the community, he made a comment in poor taste to a total stranger whom he couldn't predict how they would respond, and this is the result.

BTW this is a good object lesson on why you never ever make weird creepy sexual comments to people you don't know absolutely regardless of what you think the context is.

kirblar

BTW this is a good object lesson on why you never ever make weird creepy sexual comments to people you don't know absolutely regardless of what you think the context is.
Or jokes in general :-/. (My sense of humor is kinda dark and not for everyone.)

This is something I learned as a teenager. I don't get how people get to their 20s/30s without learning it.

edit: Here's Ali's facebook post- https://www.facebook.com/aintrazi/posts/10153747930040671

I'll post that up on the board of "things people shouldn't have to be told but apparently they do."

This whole thing doesn't make anybody look good.

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215229471]She said it herself, Ali thought he was joining in on a joke. Gerry Thompson and Brad Nelson once lost bets and showed up to an event in dresses. Ali was probably thinking it was that sort of thing. Getting lost in the friendly atmosphere of the community, he made a comment in poor taste to a total stranger whom he couldn't predict how they would respond, and this is the result.[/QUOTE]

That's not a good enough excuse for Ali to say something like that. If you are a decent human being you don't say something sexual/perverted to someone you don't know (or know well enough).

y2dvd

When is best to buy in on Berserk?

It wasn't 2 months ago when I spent $75 each for them. I'll never forget. ;_;

Man the production was all around really terrible. I dunno why I'm always surprised. Marshall and Huey had no chemistry. I think it was more on Huey though as Marshall seems to click well with others on stream and on podcast. Audio and video cues were all over the place. I like the idea behind all the in-between stuff like Fact or Fiction or the players profiles, but the execution was pretty bad. Why didn't they expand those pictures during those segments lol? LSV and Gabe were fine. Just a lot of mic problems outside their control.

I kinda feel it's inexcusable for the production team at this point. They need to get that shit together!

ultron87

That kind of comment is inexcusable and horrendous, no matter the intent. It could get you fired from a job. He should've been banned from the venue for the weekend no question. The victim shouldn't have had to debate with judges to make it happen. It doesn't really matter how bad he felt after or if he thought he was joining in on a joke. Saying that to a total stranger is a complete wtf.

Ban him for a month too. Put some teeth behind the desire to make Magic inclusive and show this shit doesn't fly.

Horrendous, sure, but I wouldn't call in to question his human decency or go so far as to say his actions were inexcusable because they weren't malicious and he took every reasonable course of action to rectify his mistake. It's a really tasteless version of the classic friendly asking a large woman about her pregnancy mistake, it's not something unthinkable.

It's not like he went full on Travis Woo casual racism, and I even think Travis Woo should be allowed back into the community without being forced to play in a corner at GPs. The only people I want to stay out of the MTG community are cheaters and Drew Levin.

TWoo wasn't casual racism though, it was him trying to take an extremely flawed source that needs loads of context to understand as fact. That's like me reading a Westboro Baptist Pamphlet about the LGBTQ+ Community and acting like I'm suddenly an expert on the community and it's identity.

Still don't understand what you were trying to say about it.

A planeswalker that locks down their target for as long as you don't use it.

1UU
Planeswalker
+1:"Tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during it's controllers untap step until a player activates an ability of CARDNAME"
-X:"Take Control of target creature until a player activates an ability of CARDNAME, where X is that creatures converted manacost."
-5:"Tap all creatures target player controls. Draw a card."

What weird oracle texts you find in searches

At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may have Johan gain "Johan can't attack" until end of combat.
If you do, attacking doesn't cause creatures you control to tap this combat if Johan is untapped.

Yeef

A planeswalker that locks down their target for as long as you don't use it.

1UU
Planeswalker
+1:"Tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during it's controllers untap step until a player activates an ability of CARDNAME"
-X:"Take Control of target creature until a player activates an ability of CARDNAME, where X is that creatures converted manacost."
-5:"Tap all creatures target player controls. Draw a card."
Because of the way durations work, if the walker leaves the battlefield at all, the creature will remained tapped indefinitely.

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215240022]Horrendous, sure, but I wouldn't call in to question his human decency or go so far as to say his actions were inexcusable because they weren't malicious and he took every reasonable course of action to rectify his mistake. It's a really tasteless version of the classic friendly asking a large woman about her pregnancy mistake, it's not something unthinkable.

It's not like he went full on Travis Woo casual racism, and I even think Travis Woo should be allowed back into the community without being forced to play in a corner at GPs. The only people I want to stay out of the MTG community are cheaters and Drew Levin.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if he said it with malicious intent. You don't say shit like that to someone you don't know. How hard is that to comprehend?

Because of the way durations work, if the walker leaves the battlefield at all, the creature will remained tapped indefinitely.
bummer or unintended side effect I realized it should also include a 0 effect so you're actually incentivized into breaking it adding a "or leaves the battlefield" would be too much text.
So either give it a 4th ability, which has been broken in the past, or just cut the boring ultimate.

0:"Until end of turn, CARDNAME becomes a 2/1 Spirit creature with flying that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all non combat damage that would be dealt to it this turn."

Had to shorten the templating a bit since the site didn't accept more text but something like this.
Would be a super strong card.

bigkrev

I'm seeing that complete sets of Dragons can be had on MTGO for ~55, and Origins for ~70. You can turn them into paper for 25$ a set. Think there is money to be made in the mid (1year or so) term?

Hero

bummer or unintended side effect I realized it should also include a 0 effect so you're actually incentivized into breaking it adding a "or leaves the battlefield" would be too much text.
So either give it a 4th ability, which has been broken in the past, or just cut the boring ultimate.

0:"Until end of turn, CARDNAME becomes a 2/1 Spirit creature with flying that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all non combat damage that would be dealt to it this turn."

Had to shorten the templating a bit since the site didn't accept more text but something like this.

Would be a super strong card.

What exactly is preventing you from doing the +1 on the same creature every single turn and building up loyalty? Also the middle ability is not blue at all.

Psionic blast ftw lol.
It's also sort of a reference to Faerie Conclave, which is cool.
Exactly my point of reference. Also looked a 3CMC spirits and most of the ones that can attack are 2/1 flyers
What exactly is preventing you from doing the +1 on the same creature every single turn and building up loyalty? Also the middle ability is not blue at all.
Nothing, that's my issue with it but outside of tapping as part of the activating cost I don't know how to make it work in a non cumbersome way. By taking away any form of ultimate the take control part is the only thing to work towards so plusing on the same creature over and over should be ok.
Becoming a creature isn't any colour for PWs it's Gideon flavoured at best. It just means they can go to town themselves mano a mano. Stuff getting animated to fight is in all colours even if green does it primarily with lands.

Hero

Psionic blast ftw lol.

Exactly my point of reference. Also looked a 3CMC spirits and most of the ones that can attack are 2/1 flyers

Nothing, that's my issue with it but outside of tapping as part of the activating cost I don't know how to make it work in a non cumbersome way. By taking away any form of ultimate the take control part is the only thing to work towards so plusing on the same creature over and over should be ok.
Becoming a creature isn't any colour for PWs it's Gideon flavoured at best. It just means they can go to town themselves mano a mano. Stuff getting animated to fight is in all colours even if green does it primarily with lands.

I mean there's no real reason to have that clause there, then. Just saying "tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step." is cleaner. There's no reason to make it more complicated than that. It's pretty close to Tamiyo 1.0's first ability.

Lands getting animated to fight is universal. But blue having a PW that turns into a dude that taps sideways is really out of flavor in addition to it not really having anything to its other abilities.

I mean there's no real reason to have that clause there, then. Just saying "tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step." is cleaner. There's no reason to make it more complicated than that. It's pretty close to Tamiyo 1.0's first ability.

Lands getting animated to fight is universal. But blue having a PW that turns into a dude that taps sideways is really out of flavor in addition to it not really having anything to its other abilities.

That as well has been a point of frustration for me. For one I wanted the symmetry between the + and the - effect and I wanted to mirror the effect of various blue cards in the past. An option would be to only be able to choose an untapped creature with the + thereby being unable to target it again the following turn. That'd severely weaken the effect though I thought about changing it to "choose" instead of "target" in exchange so it can circumvent hexproof and shroud.
Ultimateoy though cards like vedalken shackles operate the same way. You can choose to untap it and target the same creature again right away only difference is you're paying mana instead of building it up. It also makes a difference in fringe cases like if she gets Prison Term'd or transformed similarly.

The thing is PWs are creatures again post-mending, they aren't being animated in flavour, they are just using their body instead of their magic to fight. Tamiyo, Jace, Tezzeret,... all use other means for combat but that doesn't mean blue can't have a PW that does use his or her body to fight and that it is out of flavour.
Especially since blue is a colour known for tempo. If they ever make a faerie Planeswalker I'd expect it to be an aggressive card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom