• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoxManiac

It doesn't help that Maro's sense of humour is just bad. I've yet to actually see an Un set card that made me laugh - it's all really groan worthy cards that use bad puns and play on words

There used to be a magic humor site called Misetings that would put up mock spoilers of new sets with funny cards. Always thought they were much funnier than the un stuff. (My favorite card was Hurricane For Three For Six)

bigkrev

There used to be a magic humor site called Misetings that would put up mock spoilers of new sets with funny cards. Always thought they were much funnier than the un stuff. (My favorite card was Hurricane For Three For Six)

I'm 100% sure I liked Misetings because I was 16 as fuck, and not because it was actually funny

ultron87

The "Elemental" at the end of "Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental" is really good.

bigkrev

Speaking of Unglued, that issue of The Duelist arrived on Saturday. (I now have over half of the run of the magazine, I guess I'm supposed to finish it now?). I'll see if there is any weird stuff later and post it

Daedardus

It should be a return to Kamigawa, but with more anime involved. Then Chandra can be Nissa's waifu and everything will be so kawaii and if you hate it you're a baka.

Santiako

Announcement day!

• "Rise Among the Worthy" on the plane of Amonkhet. Discover a world ruled by Nicol Bolas when the first set of the Amonkhet block releases April 28, 2017.
  • Nicol Bolas is among the most powerful beings in the Multiverse—don't face him alone! Much like the original Archenemy release, Archenemy: Nicol Bolas pits you and two friends against a single powerful foe where you must work together to survive—or fall to Nicol Bolas himself.
  • The second set in the Amonkhet block, Hour of Devastation, releases July 14, 2017.
  • In the same spirit as Duel Decks: Anthology and Planechase Anthology, Commander Anthology gathers four previous Commander products together in one convenient package, releasing June 9, 2017.
  • Draft like a master once more as we release Modern Masters 2017 Edition March 17, 2017—featuring cards from Eighth Edition through Magic 2014, including new trips through Innistrad and Return to Ravnica.
  • Brains or brawn? Cunning or strength? Test your guile and brute force with Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might, releasing in May of 2017.
  • Updates to Magic: The Gathering: Puzzle Quest are here, with Kaladesh content!

jph139

Bolas on Magic Egypt feels very appropriate. They mention "Five Gods" - curious if they're tackling the Egyptian pantheon ala Theros or they'll just be for fluff.

bigkrev

Duel Deck has an MSRP of $24.99, which is a $5 increase

Making Archenemy a box set instead of multiple products is the right way to do it, hope it isn't super limited

MM2017 in March feels wrong

Firemind

another archenemy set

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23882-1357241327-9.gif

so this confirms no bolas in kaladesh

Maledict

Having him ruling an Egyptian theme world is possibly the only way I'd look forward to Bolas coming back.

Well played, Wizards, well played.

bigkrev

That Commander anthology seems like a random mix of deck selection. I get including Inferno, but if the goal was to reprint desirable ones, where is Mind Sieze?

Egyptian set!!!!!!!!

i shoulda been there

Making Archenemy a box set instead of multiple products is the right way to do it, hope it isn't super limited

I suspect this will also be part of their strategy for shipping a multiplayer and a spikey reprint set every year -- nobody's going to think MM3 + this thing is too much the way that EMA + CN2 felt for some people.

That Commander anthology seems like a random mix of deck selection. I get including Inferno, but if the goal was to reprint desirable ones, where is Mind Sieze?

Yeah, this product uncharacteristically sucks compared to these other announcements. When he said "Commander Anthology" I got excited for a second that they'd put out a box that just reprinted all five Commander 2011 decks, but instead it's this mess.

bigkrev

The other thing I like is that they went out of the way to mention that there are no new cards in archenemy. My hope is that the reprints in here are also all casual/EDH cards, so that if you are a Spike you can ignore the existence of the product.

Cause they are putting out a TON of product

Wulfric

We're going full Yu-Gi-Oh! now! Kaladesh seems like it would transition well to a desert/Egypt world. That Bolas sphinx though. xD

Also, Modern Masters is way too early, smh. But Liliana should a lock so...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Super duper curious how they keep environmental design in the Egyptian set from being one note. I feel like the look of Abzan environments is probably a decent approximation of where they're going to start, but I want to see how they flesh that out into a plane.

Daedardus

including new trips through Innistrad and Return to Ravnica

What does this mean? An increased focus on those planes? Or just that Snapcaster Mage, Lilliana and Voice of Resurgence can be in the set? I didn't know Modern Master were set-limited, I just thought they picked popular cards from non-Standard sets.

OnPoint

In the video they show the art for Kaladesh's Chandra and confirm her name (Chandra, Torch of Defiance) and that it will revealed during PAX.

(crummy capture from my screen)

So Chandra and the two new walkers in this set?

What does this mean? An increased focus on those planes? Or just that Snapcaster Mage, Lilliana and Voice of Resurgence can be in the set? I didn't know Modern Master were set-limited, I just thought they picked popular cards from non-Standard sets.

Perhaps they're trying something new.

kirblar

There's been a hard cap on how long a set has to be OOP before it can get Mm reprints.

Crocodile

It's not entirely clear to me if Nicol Bolas is ruling in secret behind the scenes or if everybody knows who he is and what's up on the plane. Also a shocking lack of new art - just the Amonkhet backdrop and the new Chandra art. In the wallpaper section there is something for a character named Rashmi but you can't click on anything to open up the actual wallpaper.

Santiako

It's not entirely clear to me if Nicol Bolas is ruling in secret behind the scenes or if everybody knows who he is and what's up on the plane. Also a shocking lack of new art - just the Amonkhet backdrop and the new Chandra art. In the wallpaper section there is something for a character named Rashmi but you can't click on anything to open up the actual wallpaper.

She's the character from the new Magic Story: A Time for Innovation, there's some new Kaladesh art in there too.

ultron87

The art we have is liberally decorated with his horn symbol, so he isn't doing a great job staying behind the scenes if that is the case.

Joe Molotov

In the video they show the art for Kaladesh's Chandra and confirm her name (Chandra, Torch of Defiance) and that it will revealed during PAX.

(crummy capture from my screen)

Hmm...torch of defiance. I'm gonna guess that her abilities are

+1: Burn
-2: Burner
-6: Burnest

OnPoint

Mummies? They need to go the full nine here.

- Mummies
- Scarabs
- Anubis people (dunno what his tribe is called)
- Bird people
- Obelisks
- Pyramids
- Markets

And that's all just the obvious stuff off the top of my head.

MM has always been set limited. MM1 8th thru just before zendikar, MM2 was 8th to New Phyrexia. Except minus infect because apparently it wasn't fun.

ultron87

Hmm...torch of defiance. I'm gonna guess that her abilities are

+1: Burn
-2: Burner
-6: Burnest

If she's working against the ruling faction in Kaladesh maybe they should have one of her modes be blowing up or otherwise dealing with artifacts. Obviously don't pigeonhole this card as a sideboard Planeswalker, but make her good at that among other things. And that'd just give Chandra a little more mechanical space than fire.

OnPoint

I'm kind of hoping they tied MM3 into the story. It would be a cool way to tie back into Ravnica or Innistrad or wherever without us having to actually go back there so soon.

alternade

Egyptian set is hype but has me nervous from a racial standpoint. Recent media has whitewashed Egyptian to be "exotic white". I'd love to see how deep they reach into Egyptian lore, history and culture.

Hero

Make it so that Chandra can deal damage lands and enchantments because fuck it, some planeswalkers just want to see the world burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom