• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel teasing a new game on Instagram

Beyond Good and Evil was one of my favorite games from the PS2/GC generation. I'm hyped.

Day one for me if it truly is a sequel/prequel.

SimonM7

the point is that you'll want to protect her

Square line, but close enough to be depressing anyway. :(

Ubi mainly seem concerned about putting a gruff looking dude front and center in the marketing. You'd be forgiven for having no idea that there's a playable lady in Syndicate, because they sure shove her into the periphery in the surrounding material as to not have 12 year old boys be all GIRLSSSS, EWWWW! when they look at the box/commercials.

And frankly, there's some of that happening with Dishonored 2, even. After having a strong emphasis on Emily at the reveal and stating that she's now the main character, she's had to scoot over to make room for Corvo imagery everywhere. You thought things were getting better in this regard, but I guess market research or something is pushing back.

But BG&E with a dude and no camera would be about as dumb and pointless as that Perfect Dark sequel concept without Joanna Dark.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ubisoft Releases Annual Cryptic Bullshit About Beyond Good & Evil 2

Right on schedule, Beyond Good & Evil series creator Michael Ancel has once again posted some more cryptic bullshit hinting at the possibility of a sequel to the beloved series.

The contextless piece of art/text (delete as applicable) has sent fans into overdrive, thrilled by the possibility of a payoff for their years of torment.
But Kate Ramos, another fan of the series, feels differently.

“Release me from this unending hell,” croaked Ramos, the words like a whisper on the desert wind between her parched and cracked lips.

“Each fruitless rumour wrenches me back once more against my will from the brink of death, just as I am about to finally depart this cage of flesh. I crave the sweet release of death.”

tL78BAG.jpg
This was posted an hour ago.

https://instagram.com/p/BK7ZwcYgNim/

"Ready for the fight' independence #ubisoft day"

Looks in line with BG&E design, yeah? Animals wearing clothes.

Quillbell

Neo Member
Ugh, I was hoping they'd pulled back on the realism. It was the cartoony artstyle that has made the original so timeless.

Yep, looks like BGE2. It is clear that the announcement will accompany the reveal of the NX...I don't give a crap personally, but I know that the title has quite the cult following. So...congrats?

AniHawk

Yep, looks like BGE2. It is clear that the announcement will accompany the reveal of the NX...I don't give a crap personally, but I know that the title has quite the cult following. So...congrats?

if they're announcing it later today, then chances are high it won't be an nx game... at least not exclusively.

give the first one a shot. it's awesome.

oti

Banned
Dear Ubisoft. Tomorrow is my Birthday. Please announce the game (alongside the NX reveal, Nintendo). Merci.

Oregano

if they're announcing it later today, then chances are high it won't be an nx game... at least not exclusively.

Even more than that if it's meant to show the benefit of an independent Ubisoft then it's not going to be funded by Nintendo(as per the Destructoid rumour).

"We need to be independent so we can receive millions in funding from a bigger company" isn't a great message to try to sell people.

AniHawk

So there two and only two possibilities, BG&E2 on the NX or BG&E2 on every platform but any Nintendo console.

you can announce nx games. square enix did it with dragon quest and sega did it with sonic.

Even more than that if it's meant to show the benefit of an independent Ubisoft then it's not going to be funded by Nintendo(as per the Destructoid rumour).

"We need to be independent so we can receive millions in funding from a bigger company" isn't a great message to try to sell people.

yeah that's the big sticking point here, i think.

i just hope that when the game comes out, it doesn't suffer the problems apparent in other decade+-in-development games do.

duckroll

I wouldn't really read into anything honestly. To me, it looks like Ancel is doing what any other long time Ubisoft staff or supporter will be doing at this moment - using any anecdote to show the originality and freedom Ubisoft allows their content creators, to make a political statement in support of the company fighting off Vivendi. It doesn't even mean it will be announced today or tomorrow or this week. I think he's just trying to help, and he's a known name in the industry.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Why should they announce it today? Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: Ah, the message "indipendence #ubisoft day", got it :p

oti

Banned

I don't know. If I was an investor seeing how well Nintendo is doing lately when it comes to mainstream exposure I'd think that cooperating with them could drive the stock price higher and make me more money in return.

Squire

Banned
So sounds like for now this isn't going to be more than lip service. I could see Guillemot committing to making it (and actually following though on that) and also mentioning their ambitions with the next AC game, too.

They might actually announce BG&E2 again with a PR, but if Ancel is posting concept art, I doubt the game is far along enough that they have a trailer or any kind of assets. NX dream is dead, too.

I don't know. If I was an investor seeing how well Nintendo is doing lately when it comes to mainstream exposure I'd think that cooperating with them could drive the stock price higher and make me more money in return.

They coukd try to spin it, but the thing is: Ubi can afford to make this game whatever it might be in Ancel's head. They've always been able to, which is why it's always been frustrating they never actually delivered on it (as valid as their reasons probably are).

I think Guillemot makes a stronger statement for their indepedence by getting off the war chest and just making the damn thing. That's a good bridge to get employees to invest in the company. Veteran, artisan designer, making the game he's wanted to for years, that pretty much has to be very unlike everything else Ubi does. That's excellent motivation.

Partnering with Nintendo makes a case for your ability to partner with a successful company, which is fine and well and totally not their goal here.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how to feel about that teaser pic with dudebro dad. I.. kinda don't want BG&E to be streamlined into a generic dude with guns thing, and really hope we'll get Jade, her stick and the Zelda-esque mechanics back.

I'm not even sure where these worries come from and they're probably completely silly.

Golnei

Ugh, I was hoping they'd pulled back on the realism. It was the cartoony artstyle that has made the original so timeless.

It does look to go too far in that direction - the first game's stylised art gave its take on a dystopia a memorable eccentricity and unique sort of character. In a more detailed continuation, some more naturalism is to be expected, but hopefully it doesn't lead to the more fantastic elements of the setting falling flat - that the anthropomorphic animals are still a focus shows that they're not being ignored tone-wise, but hopefully the rest of the art direction keeps in mind the stronger points of the first's. Though a more realistic visual direction could still be pulled off well - the pseudoscientific aspects of the first game, that came through in the nature photography and taxonomic classifications provided for the enemies and NPCs also contributed positively to the overall atmosphere. Jarringly realistic animal features incorporated into the anthropomorphic character designs could conceivably be a way in which they've tried to further that design principle.

Of course, that's all assuming that these are still indicative of a game in active development.

I discovered this video yesterday amidst all this hype and it's a must-watch for my fellow BG&E fans. Michel Ancel and Tim Schafer talk about the game while somebody plays the first hour of it. Michel comes off as an amazingly personable dude here. Super endearing to hear a brilliant developer's obvious passion for the game and to see him poke fun at the sillier bits of his own work.

Almost as great as my own selfish desire for a sequel is my happiness for Ancel that he's finally able to get this project off the ground. He has an amazing talent for this art form but for 13 years he hasn't been allowed to complete the one thing he's been wanting to make more than any other. I have all the confidence in the world in him, if only because BG&E2 seems like such a deeply personal endeavor.

AniHawk

I don't know how to feel about that teaser pic with dudebro dad. I.. kinda don't want BG&E to be streamlined into a generic dude with guns thing, and really hope we'll get Jade, her stick and the Zelda-esque mechanics back.

I'm not even sure where these worries come from and they're probably completely silly.

unless bge2 changed dramatically (it is supposed to be the second in a trilogy), then i think going by the 2008-2009 stuff, jade will be in it.

the one thing i'm not a fan of is the more realistic look of the characters. part of the charm and why the first game holds up so well is because ancel was forced to compromise with the ps2-era hardware.

UrbanRats

I wouldn't really read into anything honestly. To me, it looks like Ancel is doing what any other long time Ubisoft staff or supporter will be doing at this moment - using any anecdote to show the originality and freedom Ubisoft allows their content creators, to make a political statement in support of the company fighting off Vivendi. It doesn't even mean it will be announced today or tomorrow or this week. I think he's just trying to help, and he's a known name in the industry.

What's the end game though? Awareness is good and all, but if someone doesn't comein buying some shares for them, it won't stop anything.
And i figured, people who have that kind of money, won't be persuaded by this kind of stuff.
As far as the public goes, the majority of people don't seem to even know or care about it.

AniHawk

I discovered this video yesterday amidst all this hype and it's a must-watch for my fellow BG&E fans. Michel Ancel and Tim Shafer talk about the game while somebody plays the first hour of it. Michel comes off as an amazingly personable dude here. Super endearing to hear a brilliant developer's obvious passion for the game and to see him poke fun at the sillier bits of his own work.

Almost as great as my own selfish desire for a sequel is my happiness for Ancel that he's finally able to get this project off the ground. He has an amazing talent for this art form but for 13 years he hasn't been allowed to complete the one thing he's been wanting to make more than any other. I have all the confidence in the world in him, if only because BG&E2 seems like such a deeply personal endeavor.

ancel is one of the main people who inspired me to work in the video game industry. i had the pleasure of playing rayman origins with him in 2011 at e3. he is a super, super awesome guy.

duckroll

What's the end game though? Awareness is good and all, but if someone doesn't comein buying some shares for them, it won't stop anything.
And i figured, people who have that kind of money, won't be persuaded by this kind of stuff.
As far as the public goes, the majority of people don't seem to even know or care about it.

It's not just about buying shares, it's also about not selling shares. Shareholders are pretty important in a fluid situation like this, especially when Vivendi has not made a formal takeover bid. They're just being a looming threat, so what Ubisoft can do is to create the perception that the company under Vivendi will be worse off for everyone, and to encourage people to continue supporting the current direction of the company and oppose any potential takeover from Vivendi. The endgame is probably to make the perception of Vivendi taking over the company so poisonous that Vivendi backs off because they no longer see value forcing their way to own a company which could implode if such a move is made.

Squire

Banned

Guillemot is almost certainly doing this in tandem with selling shares to employees. This seems specifically aimed at them.

ancel is one of the main people who inspired me to work in the video game industry. i had the pleasure of playing rayman origins with him in 2011 at e3. he is a super, super awesome guy.

....For some reason, this reminded me that I've seen Ancel in person...probably the only developer I've ever seen in person...weird how that left my memory for so long.

Oregano

You know what would also make an investor money?

Selling to Vivendi.

Shiggy

Aren't these new artworks though? (as in not from the previous 2009 Tunisia-like prototype)

unless bge2 changed dramatically (it is supposed to be the second in a trilogy), then i think going by the 2008-2009 stuff, jade will be in it.

Then Ubisoft will show that they decided to reboot it like Tomb Raider, and this is actually a prequel of the first game - starring only a "strong and indipendent" adolescent Jade in search of P'Jay, while incessantly grunting and moaning for the injuries fighting waves of Domz. /s

duckroll

Aren't these new artworks though? (as in not from the previous 2009 Tunisia-like prototype)

Yes, it's 100% clear that he is working on BG&E2 in some capacity right now. What I meant was that I wouldn't read into the posts as any sort of confirmation that they're announcing it now, or that it might or might not be on NX or whatever.

Top Bottom