• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Zen CPU preview on 13th December, hosted by Geoff Keighley.

pswii60

Yes but safe to say not rumored any more since we just got our confirmation with this announcement. Zen in Scorpio will pretty much be a new gen for MS.
Won't Zen be a high power (desktop) architecture though, compared to the low power Jaguar?

Locuza

Won't Zen be a high power (desktop) architecture though, compared to the low power Jaguar?
It's actually a more lightweight architecture from today's standpoint which should scale across a wide range:
amd-zen-hotchips-2_t.jpg

Trup1aya

The Scorpio is just playing Xbox One games in 4K. It doesn't need a new CPU to do that.

I wouldn't rule Zen out, and there is a realistic chance of it from a tech / timing perspective. But I think the same Jaguar is the most likely.

I think thats all the scorpio does at launch. But if they really want to 'blur the line between generations' the scorpio will have to be able to run xb2 games. It needs to be future proof.

Oh how I hope Zen will be amazing and force Intel to drop their CPU prices.

PC building is on the rise; we all could use some competition in the CPU game.

I think thats all the scorpio does at launch. But if they really want to 'blur the line between generations' the scorpio will have to be able to run xb2 games. It needs to be future proof.

Honestly, there's technically nothing preventing Scorpio from running Xbthree games if it shipped with a Jaguar CPU, for basically the same the same reason why there's nothing preventing the OG Xbone from running Scorpio games: regardless of the CPU the Scorpio uses, if Microsoft mandates support and maintains compatibility, it will happen.

Proelite

Even 4 cores would need more space and power and would produce more heat than an 8 core jaguar.
And as he said they said 8 cores and 8 threads != 8 cores.

Threads are sometimes called logical cores.
I don't think any thing is concrete for or against Zen in Scorpio. Even AMDs comment that now custom Zen APUs doesn't rule out Zen since it could very well be McM or discrete CPu and GPU in Zen.

I recall someone pulling the exact quote from her. I'm not saying it's confirmed, I'm just saying it's not been confirmed it's not Zen either.
That was me. There's no verbatim quote, just a paraphrase by a reporter in discussion with her. Here's the exact quote:
Computer Base said:
Zen-Kerne und neue Grafik als Semi-Custom-Lösung soll es nicht vor 2018 geben, deutete AMDs Chefin Lisa Su in kleiner Runde an.
This transalates as "Zen and new graphics in a semicustom solution won't come before 2018, indicated AMD President Lisa Su in a small group discussion."

Was it, though? The claim is that she made the comment during the presentation, however there's nothing in the presentation itself that points in either direction, so the only way you can be sure that she was misrepresented is if you were in attendance when she spoke or the comment has been regurgitated by someone reputable who was present.
As seen above, this wasn't part of the presentation, it was in more informal talks after. We do have to trust the reporter, but he works for the very large and reputable site Computer Base so there's that.

I'd love to see the internet fanboy shit storm which would ensue if this was actually the case with the Scorpio. I'd sit back and enjoy the shit slinging.

And then buy the Scorpio.

The only shitstorm you'll see is from the fanboys who deluded themselves into believing it would have Zen going crazy when it's confirmed to be Jaguar.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oh how I hope Zen will be amazing and force Intel to drop their CPU prices.

PC building is on the rise; we all could use some competition in the CPU game.
The problem we're facing now is that a crummy CPU doesn't perform noticeably better than a high end one for 99% of end users. And technically I am still using a crummy CPU.

spwolf

I stand to be corrected but I refuse to believe Microsoft could be THAT stupid.

you are expecting too much from them at too low prices. It ends up being problem of your high expectations not Microsoft's poor delivery. But then again, they have been mystical about Scorpio on purpose to delay people's purchase of Pro so maybe they deserve it.

Feel like a lot of guessing is going on just like when rumors of PS4 pro , Scorpio and Switch happened . I'm at the point where I cant believe anything until its actually announced from the companies themselves.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That was me. There's no verbatim quote, just a paraphrase by a reporter in discussion with her. Here's the exact quote:

This transalates as "Zen and new graphics in a semicustom solution won't come before 2018, indicated AMD President Lisa Su in a small group discussion."

As seen above, this wasn't part of the presentation, it was in more informal talks after. We do have to trust the reporter, but he works for the very large and reputable site Computer Base so there's that.

Ah, cheers. I feel that this does little to clarify the matter, though, as "indicated" implies some degree of uncertainty.

leeh

Ah, cheers. I feel that this does little to clarify the matter, though, as "indicated" implies some degree of uncertainty.
Agreed. I'm hopeful of it anyway.

I just don't see the point of them taking the hit of waiting a year if it's still going to be borked by Jaguar, they should of released alongside the Pro if that is the case.

If they do release with Jaguar, I'm going to build a PC.

Locuza

Zen

Very pleased with Zen, it is on track
Customers have been actively testing and working with Zen in past months and 'it's looking quite good'
Zen in Desktop Q1 2017
Zen in Server Q2 2017
Zen in Notebook H2 2017
Will be very competitive in Core i7 product line
Looking at significant ASP uplift compared to today
AMD want to not only provide performance but price for performance
Zen has opportunity to do well in certain workloads
Differentiation is in the I/O and how it is connected
AMD is currently less than 1% in the 15 billion dollar server market, things can only improve from here
Will take time to win customer confidence and trust
On track to provide something special with cpu/gpu solution

Semi-custom

Xbox One + PS4 have been very successful
Nice way for AMD to differentiate themselves
Currently doing mid-cycle refreshes in this area
Expect Zen in semi-custom roadmap beyond 2017

[...]
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5fs7p9/summary_of_interview_with_lisa_su/

No Zen in Scorpio intensifies.

Electret

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. It appears that Lisa's remark as reported by ComputerBase was legit. Definitely leaning towards no Zen.

Also, from your link:
The 7nm foundry will be a critical leap compared to 10nm, expecting to work with other foundry partners for this node

Combined with previous reports about foundries skipping ahead to 7nm, I think we can expect this to be the next major node for consumer computing hardware and for next-generation consoles (PS5).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

We already figured this though. But i guess some people needed more confirmation.

now people should understand now why Sony were not in a rush to upgrade their components significantly. if Sony is going to be the only one going forward in a traditional generation type upgrade where software follows the hardware, having Zen for that seems way more of a priority than a mid generation refresh and the same goes for the other components. MS must surely know this as well

Wow, so no semi-custom Zen until 2018 at the earliest. I mean, it was pretty obvious Zen wasn't coming to Scorpio as others have mentioned - heck, MS would have boasted about Scorpio's CPU in the reveal trailer if it were - but this is still disappointing.

I mean, I doubt most people will notice the difference between 1800p checkerboard and native 4k in most games, so it feels like MS is again going to be market follower than leader. I guess one advantage Scorpio will have is improved memory bandwidth and more RAM (12GB iirc) will enable it to avoid the framerate drops in busier moments that were a bottleneck on PS4 Pro. But I still think it won't be worth the year wait over PS4 Pro.

It'll be interesting to see what happens anyway. In 2013, Iwata heavily hinted that Nintendo's new platform (which became Switch) would be more like iOS and Android and the games will be more "portable", as in, won't be tied to a very specific hardware specification. This will enable to Nintendo's platform to play host to software that won't break when the hardware changes architectures, and new form factors which should "just work" as well, unlike N3DS and PS4 Pro which don't work like a new iPhone or PC do.

Meanwhile Sony will be sticking to the generations approach whereby a PS5 will be a clean break from PS4, and will likely be signalled by a major bump in CPU performance (new architecture) alongside GPU and (hopefully) some improvements to the interface and input device (controller). Whether this means PS5 breaks compatibility with PS4 games is another story, but I feel if the PS4's library isn't forwards compatible with PS5 starting again on a new console with a very tiny selection of games might prove to be a bugbear for the PS5. Even if they enable PS4 games via PS Now.

Microsoft seem to be doing something in between both Nintendo and Sony, and they could be stuck in a weird place given they aren't seen as market leader.

Inuhanyou

^ I think sony will do everything they can to avoid breaking their hold on marketshare and streamline their ecosystem. That means prioritizing BC.

It made sense with PS3 to PS4 to break compatibility, because of the esoteric nature of the PS3's hardware, but PS4 to PS5 should be significantly easier at any rate.

This was expected.
Judging by this very thread (edit: and the previous post, lol), there's a significant portion of the Xbox fanbase that has convinced themselves that Scorpio will use Zen. They're probably in for a surprise when Jaguar shows up again.

^ I think sony will do everything they can to avoid breaking their hold on marketshare and streamline their ecosystem. That means prioritizing BC.

It made sense with PS3 to PS4 to break compatibility, because of the esoteric nature of the PS3's hardware, but PS4 to PS5 should be significantly easier at any rate.

We'll have to see; I'm not convinced. The reason both N3DS and PS4 Pro didn't change architectures is because it'd break binary compatibility with software, particularly those games which are coded "close to the metal" (on PS4 an example would be Batman: Arkham Knight) using. You had "base" and "enhanced" modes for those systems to use instead. The question would be whether a Zen/Vega PS5 would easily be able to retain BC with PS4 games without breaking anything.

3DS did with DS and GBA but only by including an older ARM architecture chip (an ARM A9) for that purpose, and the 3DS itself would reboot into DS or GBA firmware to play those games. Wii U was less straightforward.

Inuhanyou

We'll have to see; I'm not convinced. The reason both N3DS and PS4 Pro didn't change architectures is because it'd break binary compatibility with software, particularly those games which are coded "close to the metal" (on PS4 an example would be Batman: Arkham Knight) using.

I have to stop you here.

PS Pro didn't change architectures because it was still a PS4 primarily and they had no use for changing architecture, as there was no architecture to change. There was no worth it CPU or RAM upgrade that would be worth it this year, and especially not in the price bracket they wanted. So they would not have changed architectures regardless of what the circumstances were.

When they have to change architectures, you can bet their bottom dollar they will invest as much as they can into making it as painless as possible for their own sakes

Judging by this very thread (edit: and the previous post, lol), there's a significant portion of the Xbox fanbase that has convinced themselves that Scorpio will use Zen. They're probably in for a surprise when Jaguar shows up again.

They'll need to boost Jag a lot more than Sony has done to make 60 FPS work at 4K (native or not). Not sure if they can add more cores and IIRC Jag is notoriously bad for overclocking. Over 2,1GHz is probably the area with quickly diminishing returns.

I bet Scorpio will delay to 2018 or use some other AMD CPU is bigger chance that they will use Jaguar again.
Otherwise if i'm MS i will just release scorpio earlier(first half of 2017), if Zen can't make it in 2017.

I have to stop you here.

PS Pro didn't change architectures because it was still a PS4 primarily and they had no use for changing architecture, as there was no architecture to change. There was no worth it CPU or RAM upgrade that would be worth it this year, and especially not in the price bracket they wanted. So they would not have changed architectures regardless of what the circumstances were.

When they have to change architectures, you can bet their bottom dollar they will invest as much as they can into making it as painless as possible for their own sakes

I don't buy that part of your argument. So they didn't change architecture because it wasn't available to them?

Otherwise I mostly agree, but it's pretty indicative of the general lack of investment and progress in the x86 space right now. Just look at how far Apple has gone performance-wise from the iPhone 5s to the iPhone 7. It makes PS4 Pro seem pretty disappointing given the three year gap. Same thing will undeniably happen with Scorpio I think.

The only issues you get from radical boosts to performance occur when developers start targeting hardware from the top-down, but there's no financial incentive for devs to design games specifically for PS4 Pro first and PS4 later.

Locuza

They'll need to boost Jag a lot more than Sony has done to make 60 FPS work at 4K (native or not). Not sure if they can add more cores and IIRC Jag is notoriously bad for overclocking. Over 2,1GHz is probably the area with quickly diminishing returns.
AMD sold 28nm products with 2,4 Ghz (25W TPD with the iGPU) in the embeeded space.
For consumers overclocking wasn't much fun because you could only manipulate the bus-speed.

For Jaguar the most limiting factor will be the energy budget for the CPU.

AMD sold 28nm products with 2,4 Ghz (25W TPD with the iGPU) in the embeeded space.
For consumers overclocking wasn't much fun because you could only manipulate the bus-speed.

For Jaguar the most limiting factor will be the energy budget for the CPU.

What was it? The highest clocked Jag I could find was in Athlon 5370 @ 2,2GHz and 25W TDP.

Nikodemos

What was it? The highest clocked Jag I could find was in Athlon 5370 @ 2,2GHz and 25W TDP.
Note that he said embedded space.

Puma based netbooks are rated for 2.4 GHz. Puma+ ('Carrizo-L') are rated for 2.5 GHz.

I know this since I'm typing this message on a Puma laptop.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
We really need some decent competition in the CPU area. Like most AMD products I expect this to be good for the price point but won't match intel's latest offering, just like its always been for the last 15 years.

Someone missed the Netburst/AMD64 era.

Well, Pentium 4 was released 16 years ago!

He should have said 10 years ago, the launch of Core 2.

Still, hoping that Zen is good. As I have stated before though, they have already lost the lead designer behind it (Keller) and frankly, the last time that happened was...wait for it, after the design of K8, the last time AMD had a competitive architecture which is 16 years old.

Nikodemos

As I have stated before though, they have already lost the lead designer behind it (Keller) and frankly, the last time that happened was...wait for it, after the design of K8, the last time AMD had a competitive architecture which is 16 years old.
Keller wasn't a permanent addition, since AMD don't have the kind of pockets needed to keep him onboard on a constant basis. He was a contract hire.

Inuhanyou

I don't buy that part of your argument. So they didn't change architecture because it wasn't available to them?

Well look at the whole post.

Not only did they not have an available architecture, they didn't plan to do that in the first place because Pro was always a half step in function, they never were going to change it that drastically

Maybe Scorpio go none APU route?

A non starter for a console in this day and age, from both a cost and pure footprint perspective.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Lots of people that really really want 60fps on consoles as the standard were hoping for zen to save them from the horrors of 30fps. I think they were simply ignoring logic and common sense and just holding out hope

Top Bottom