• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Miitopia still doesn't look to me like something that would take off like Tomodachi Life, but maybe I'm wrong since I barely know anything for the game, just a feeling. That leaves Pokemon, Mario Maker and Momotaro as the big holiday titles for 3DS and basically Japan since Yakuza today was the last relevant game for a Sony system this year.

saichi

We are in early December there should be bit better legs for FF XV due to that - lifetime sales should easily pass 1 milion in Japan which is probably better than worst case scenarios after FF XIII disaster last generation.

XV is coming off XIII (which had overwhelmingly negative reception), so it was expected that initial sales wouldn't be too hot.

XV has been very well received by both critics and fans, so I imagine it will have better legs compared to the series norm (or at least XIII).

Why people keep expecting FFXV have better legs comparing to previous FF games? XIII had the same legs as previous titles which were "received" much better.

If SE really shipped over 1 million at launch, we will see the price collapse really soon.

L~A

I have to admit, Miitopia is a game I'm unsure of. Well, I'm sure it will be successful, the question is how much. Since word of mouth will make or break that game, we will have a clearer picture in January.

I'm taking suggestions for the 3 letters that will be used for Switch. I can't see what's more suitable. SWI, SWH, SCH, other? I tend to the first.

I say SWI is probably the best. Maybe NSW?... Nah, SWI is really the best option imo.

Famitsu numbers for XY are WRONG for sure. I've just checked Nintendo shipments, and Famitsu sales are over Nintendo's shipment. lol

They also did it with the N64, didn't they?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I forgot the 3rd version of YW3. That leaves 4 3DS titles to carry Japanese sales at holidays. Nothing comes out for Wii U and PS4/PSV output is so weak that the only title that could cross 100k is Saga. I hope something happens like last year and this go better than expected.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dat PS4P sales. If i were MS i would be in panic mode, market right now is choosing older/cheaper HW.

Um isn't this Japan, where Xboxes don't sell at at all anyways?

Even with 90% sellthrough the game underperformed hard.

50% sellthrough for Mario Maker by the way, that's a bigger bomb.

Well... I'm kind of confused why they expected it to sell twice as much as the original game's first week. Considering the game actually had a better first week than the Wii U version did, isn't it more of overshipping? Plus, wouldn't this game have a much better chance of selling through its shipment during the holidays as opposed to FFXV?

If you look at similar mid-cycle handheld upgrades like GBC, DSi or n3DS they all gave you additional improvements to the platform beyond just a spec bump, and in some cases improvements that impacted your old games universally (new color palettes, Super Stable 3D, etc).
Well, Pro does give you faster load times across all games universally.

Sandfox

Well, the whole Appmon line has been targeted at kids rather than the adult fanbase. (And it's been fantastic so far).

It's a shame that the game bombed.

Yeah, and I think that was a mistake. The strongest the line has been over the past decade was during Savers(which they followed up with 4 year break) that had an older cast and when they started going after the older fans more recently.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well... I'm kind of confused why they expected it to sell twice as much as the original game's first week. Considering the game actually had a better first week than the Wii U version did, isn't it more of overshipping? Plus, wouldn't this game have a much better chance of selling through its shipment during the holidays as opposed to FFXV?

This started as a joke, I don't know how someone that isn't completely clueless and ignorant can think Mario Maker underperformed, I can see it hitting 400-500k by the end of holidays.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This started as a joke, I don't know how someone that isn't completely clueless and ignorant can think Mario Maker underperformed, I can see it hitting 400-500k by the end of holidays.

Ok whoops... took your comment seriously and was very confused because I thought that it did really well T_T. Nvm.

Ōkami

Dengeki says this was the biggest week for software on PS4 since launch (likely ever, dengeki's tracking doesn't go far enough back to say for sure).

Looks like they messed up for this week as they say all PS4 software sold 717k which is wrong as FFXV and Watch Dogs 2 alone sold more than that and also that Xbox One software was less than 2k for the week but they have FFXV sales higher than that too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok whoops... took your comment seriously and was very confused because I thought that it did really well T_T. Nvm.

It even started better than the previous original game and sold half of its shipment that for a Nintendo Mario game around xmas is average at least (are not frontloaded games )

Meier

XY was the first main entry in the series which was not able to reach the 5mln milestone, and SM is already 400k below those numberst.

I suspect that the digital numbers for SM are fairly significant even beyond the download cards that Media Create doesn't track.

Hellraider

Ōkami;226255474 said:
That's not very probable though.

It will easily get to 500k by the end of the holidays. I'm also expecting legs similar to the WiiU edition for the next year. It will get pretty close if not achieve that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm between SWI and NSW. I think I'll go with SWI.

It keeps a pattern after WII and WIU and looks like Super Wii acronyms.

Blue-kun

Very late to the party right now, but more importantly:

09./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 8.028 / 933.983 (+43%)

If it keeps up, it might just go over 1 million soon-ish. That's gonna be a crazy thing to witness, lol.

Shizuka

Very late to the party right now, but more importantly:

If it keeps up, it might just go over 1 million soon-ish. That's gonna be a crazy thing to witness, lol.

It's crossed that mark if you add digital. I wonder if it'll ever reach one and a half million copies when you add physical and digital Vita.

Blue-kun

Well, you have to remember Japanese market is dead.

It's crossed that mark if you add digital. I wonder if it'll ever reach one and a half million copies when you add physical and digital Vita.

Oh, I imagine it might have, but it's something else seing the little one million there in the tracker. That said, might no be SO soon-ish, but it may as well get a boost during early January? Assuming it'll be one of the games that kids may want to spend some of that otoshidama money on (it's just hit me I have absolutely no clue how old Minecraft's audience is in Japan, if it even fits any particular group).

Anyway, it's been a fun ride to follow...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I want to help make GAF history. It sounds like you've made your decision, Chris, but I'm backing SWI as well.

Not Safe Work is cute. Maybe if it bombs...?

So Famitsu has it 715,000.

If we assume digital is about 10% (digital numbers in the west often flirt with up to 30%, so 10% for Japan seems reasonable) you're looking close to 800,000.

That, is a big drop off from FF13, but that really soured the franchise.

Fortunately, FFXV seems to be actually a good game so hopefully word of mouth let's it break 1 million. And with rising markets elsewhere in Asia, that 500,00 delta hopefully gets covered.

MANUELF

Banned
I also vote for NSW

OT: Final Fantasy 15 are a bit better than expected but that overshipment means dark thing for the next game

duckroll

Oh come on now.

Kingdom Hearts 3D - 355,136
Persona 4 The Golden - 332,003

Both released in the same year. One is a brand new KH game on the 3DS with the largest installed base in the market, the other is a port of Persona 4 on the Vita.

Now tell me honestly, how do you think KH3 on just the PS4 will do against P5 which was on PS3 and PS4? Lol.

Ōkami

&#332;kami;226255024 said:
Dengeki says this was the biggest week for software on PS4 since launch (likely ever, dengeki's tracking doesn't go far enough back to say for sure).

Looks like they messed up for this week as they say all PS4 software sold 717k which is wrong as FFXV and Watch Dogs 2 alone sold more than that and also that Xbox One software was less than 2k for the week but they have FFXV sales higher than that too.
I doubt Dengeki will correct that, but given their top 50 some 785k PS4 games were sold this week, making it indeed PS4's biggest ever.

During launch week there were some 515k-530k games sold, though more 300k of them were Knack which was given for free with every PS4, nonetheless this was PS4's biggest week until now.

Biggest other weeks would be the launch of Persona 5 (400k), Metal Gear Solid V (338k) and Dark Souls III (328k)

7.4 million games sold for the year so far, 14.6 million total.

Its hard to compare PS4 to PS3 as we don't have weekly data, and the only reliable data for PS3 in this regard, which is to say yearly, doesn't give us a fair comparison, PS4 launched in March and PS3 in November.

Arzehn

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a direct sequel that requires you to play 10 games to know wtf is going on, and even then you still need to read a wiki. It's got a vocal audience that's only been getting smaller. Game will open less than half of what FF opened at.

duckroll

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a direct sequel that requires you to play 10 games to know wtf is going on, and even then you still need to read a wiki. It's got a vocal audience that's only been getting smaller. Game will open less than half of what FF opened at.

This also seems like an exaggeration. In the end, marketing, hype, and branding go a long way. I don't think not understanding the story really gets in the way of playing and enjoying KH for Disney x FF. There's still a baseline of fans who will buy something that's perceived as a big deal. I would say unless it looks crappy or boring when it's coming out, 400-500k in the first week seems doable, with a 700k-ish LTD.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Will the sales of KH 2.8 give us some indication of potential KH3 sales on PS4? 2.8, although it's mostly a remake with a bit of original content, is PS4 exclusive right?

Fdkn

2.8 is a terrible deal (in the bad way)

I expect it to underperform hard, and maybe sell the shipment discounted.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-through {2016.12.08}

[PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life # <ADV> (Sega) (¥8.190) - 40%

[PS4] The Last Guardian <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥6.900) - 50% (Tuesday release, 3 days tracked)*

[3DS] Puyo Puyo Chronicle # <RPG> (Sega) (¥5.490) - 20%

[3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu: Complete Famicom Edition <ETC> (Arc System Works) (¥4.800) - 30%

[PS4] Dishonored 2 <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.980) - 30%

[XB1] Dead Rising 4 <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥6.900) - 70% (shipment = pre-orders)

[3DS] Megami Meguri # <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.800) - 20%

Rabbids Land

[3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) (¥4.700)

____

*The blog hinted the word Torico with the number 42. Torico is the Japanese name of the last guardian. I don't know if that means Torico sold 42k in 3 days.

duckroll

Yikes. Yakuza and TLG overshipped? Maybe sales will pick up over the weekend. Not looking good for the PS4 super momentum. RE7 is going to be sad.

Ōkami

20161209-khhdfcp-01.jpg
II.8 is a big enough deal to get limited edition sony store only consoles though.
Like what feels like half of all PS4 games.

Yeah, and I think that was a mistake. The strongest the line has been over the past decade was during Savers(which they followed up with 4 year break) that had an older cast and when they started going after the older fans more recently.

They're still targeting older fans, too. Bandai's current strategy seems to be stuff like Cyber Sleuth/Next Order for the older fans, and making Appmon as a way to try and get kids interested in something. They're already having a countdown for the 20th anniversary next year, and Habu was hinting at another Story game in an interview recently, so it's not like they're abandoning the stuff for older fans.

If they don't get kids interested in Digimon again, then the franchise will have little future.

Top Bottom