• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a new PC!" 2010 Edition

Beatbox said:
I've been sitting on an Antec Sonata case for a few years. Has an Antec Earthwatts 500 PS. I do want a quiet system and planned on passive cooling and a mid to low end passive video card. My last gaming system was built around a 9800 Pro - and I honestly never got into PC gaming. I might want the option to play games but it's really not my focus with this build.

I just won this MB from EVGA - EVGA P55 FTW http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=132-LF-E657-KR&family=Motherboard Family Does my PS have the appropriate connectors for this? My last build was a P IV system so I don't have much recent experience with components.

I was planning on building a i750 system based on the price/performance ration but am wondering what my best option is. I live relatively close to a Microcenter so I have these choices:

i7 870 - $249
i7 860 - $219
i5 655K - $199
i5 760 - $189
i5 750 - $159

The cheaper the better - but is the 760 worth $40 more than the 750? The 870 is a bit more than I'd like to spend. Any of the prices really good? What do you suggest? I don't plan on overclocking - but might someday since that MB seems to be built for it. Thanks in advance.

750 is still your best option there. Maybe the 860 if you're feeling spendy and use a lot of heavily multi threaded applications.

man, my new GTX 460 (Gigabyte) came in yesterday and I am really pleased with it so far. It is suuuuuuuper quiet. That was what jumped out at me first of all. Maxes out all of the games I've tried at 1680x1050. Very happy with my purchase thus far. Now, what to do with my 8800GT 512mb

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Was messing around with OC settings in the Bios and right before i booted into windows i noticed my voltage was on 1.6 volts :lol

Think that would have fried my proc? was on it for under a minute.

MikeE21286 said:
Very happy with my purchase thus far. Now, what to do with my 8800GT 512mb

Could use it as a PhysX card. Unless thats 9000 series+ i forget.

Metalic Sand said:
Was messing around with OC settings in the Bios and right before i booted into windows i noticed my voltage was on 1.6 volts :lol

Think that would have fried my proc? was on it for under a minute.

Could use it as a PhysX card. Unless thats 9000 series+ i forget.

Nah, you should be fine, just be more careful next time. Also, NEVER USE AUTO VOLTAGE.

Edit: 8800GT will work fine as a PhysX card, power usage may be a bit high for such a uncommon task like that but its upto you.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
brain_stew said:
750 is still your best option there. Maybe the 860 if you're feeling spendy and use a lot of heavily multi threaded applications.

Thanks, I checked Tomshardware comparisons between the 750 and 870 - and it seemed that Premiere was the only relevant one that had a significant difference. I will be doing some HD editing but it won't be my main use and rendering time is never an issue for me. Think I will go for the 750.

grumble

Hi,

I know this might be kind of annoying, but I have a good friend who's looking for a PC with a 1000 budget (no monitor or mouse necessary, but may need a keyboard). He's been looking to upgrade for SC2 and beyond, and I'm really not current on the PC component scene. If someone could point out some parts that would make sense (or even a complete build) it would absolutely make my day. I've heard you guys really know your shit.

PS: I'm in Canada, and that's 1000 CAD.

Boonoo said:
Any thoughts on this Gigabyte 460? I thought I might nab it with the SC2 20 dollars off combo.

MikeE21286 said:
man, my new GTX 460 (Gigabyte) came in yesterday and I am really pleased with it so far. It is suuuuuuuper quiet. That was what jumped out at me first of all. Maxes out all of the games I've tried at 1680x1050. Very happy with my purchase thus far. Now, what to do with my 8800GT 512mb

grumble

grumble said:
Hi,

I know this might be kind of annoying, but I have a good friend who's looking for a PC with a 1000 budget (no monitor or mouse necessary, but may need a keyboard). He's been looking to upgrade for SC2 and beyond, and I'm really not current on the PC component scene. If someone could point out some parts that would make sense (or even a complete build) it would absolutely make my day. I've heard you guys really know your shit.

PS: I'm in Canada, and that's 1000 CAD.

Also, if no one is willing to help, could people direct me to a site that would? I'd like to hear from you guys, but I frankly don't know what parts are out there and don't know prices, etc. I need help from somewhere.

grumble said:
Also, if no one is willing to help, could people direct me to a site that would? I'd like to hear from you guys, but I frankly don't know what parts are out there and don't know prices, etc. I need help from somewhere.

This seems to be a pretty well regarded place to start.
I build something close to a combo between this site and the image below
Hazaro said:
A55hA.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All done will post pictures soon.

Only hiccup. Despite the behemoth size of the case, the CPU fan didn't fit. Brought it back decided to try that corsair liquid cooling job. Radiator gets in way of side fan. So I threw in the stock cooler.

So a few questions.

1. Any good recommendations for a nice CPU fan that will allow me to try overclocking my new i5? (biggest feature other than working for overclocking I desire is low low noise.)

2. I installed two optional front fans in this case, they are a little loud. Any recommendations for nice, quiet 120mm fans? This case has a huge 210mm on the side blowing on the GPU, so I can sacrifice a bit of airflow for noise.

3. I didn't need to restore my OS drive apparently, everything booted up. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and reformat anyways? Any settings I need to make sure are OK If I keep as is\? Currently running Windows 7 64 bit

Side note.

That Antec 193 is one nice case, but It is not friendly to newer users. Not a tool free case in any way. So long as you read the instructions (found online, not in box) you'll be OK (I misread instructions and spent an hour tryign to figure out why my drives weren't going in nice and flush before I realized I was putting the rails on backwards >< .

The biggest plus, and the reason I bought, was the side intake and front intakes all have easy to access filters to clean out dust now and then. The two front fans just have a push grill and they each swing open, it's great. Also, despite photo's on newegg (and a previous comment by myself), Antec apparently did a stealth update for the case, and the motherboard mounting area now includes one of those awesome holes for CPU fan swapping without removing the motherboard.

Najaf

Should I go with a single HD 5870 or 2x GTX 460 (768MB) in Sli?

What are the downsides of running Sli? I never have. Possible complications? Difficult to work with? Any?

Would I need to go with a 750W PSU or more? Currently I have a 650TX in my build.

Najaf said:
Should I go with a single HD 5870 or 2x GTX 460 (768MB) in Sli?

What are the downsides of running Sli? I never have. Possible complications? Difficult to work with? Any?

Would I need to go with a 750W PSU or more? Currently I have a 650TX in my build.

Don't even think about running the 768MB version of the GTX 460 in SLI.

Najaf

I just used a PSU calc and saw I would need a monster PSU to support even the pair. I'll just stick with the HD 5870 as planned or I'll be spending another day trying to re-combo all my newegg pieces.

brain_stew said:
Don't even think about running the 768MB version of the GTX 460 in SLI.

This advice is ridiculous coming from you. All benchmarks show the gains for 460's in SLi are can approach double the performance.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/11

Even at 2560x1600 you are looking at going from 18 to 29 frames in Crysis Warhead with SLi. They can also beat GTX 465's even with the extra VRAM, which is what you are implying.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheHeretic said:
This advice is ridiculous coming from you. All benchmarks show the gains for 460's in SLi are can approach double the performance.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/11

Even at 2560x1600 you are looking at going from 18 to 29 frames in Crysis Warhead with SLi. They can also beat GTX 465's even with the extra VRAM, which is what you are implying.
The point is that the 768MB becomes a liability playing at or above 1920x1080. Because when you start adding in 16xAA (Because you can actually run it) if you hit your RAM limit you can get 40 fps... or 5.

Najaf

Here is my final build. I have read that the PSU can handle the sli combo just fine even with an overclocked i7. Is there anything I am not seeing?

final.png

darthbob

Najaf said:
Here is my final build. I have read that the PSU can handle the sli combo just fine even with an overclocked i7. Is there anything I am not seeing?

Other than that you don't really need an i7 for gaming, looks fine to me.

Also looks like any other generic high end build though, but whatever.

Hazaro said:
The point is that the 768MB becomes a liability playing at or above 1920x1080. Because when you start adding in 16xAA (Because you can actually run it) if you hit your RAM limit you can get 40 fps... or 5.

Correct, which has nothing to do with putting 768 460's in SLi. Someone who bought that card probably runs at less than 1080, which means the VRam won't be a problem, which means 460's in SLi is very powerful.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Correct, which has nothing to do with putting 768 460's in SLi. Someone who bought that card probably runs at less than 1080, which means the VRam won't be a problem, which means 460's in SLi is very powerful.
Better to spend the extra money and SLI 1GB 460s.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys, just thinking about the future now. If/when I decide to upgrade my recently purchased pc ; which should I upgrade first CPU/GPUs?

I remember brainstew writing that my cpu would/will be my bottleneck in the future. Looking at this article ( http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/11 ), running two GTS 250s in SLI with 80ish % efficiency gives you a performance comparable to a single GTX 470 ( in that given case obviously ).

So this leads me to think that for the time being my GPUs are going to do me well, given that I dont really use AA atm.

Which gives us the cpu. I'm currently on a X3 BEE 720, thinking about ( again, in the future ) changing it to a X6 1090T BEE for around 200$-250$. Would this be the "correct" route? Would the upgrade be worth it?

cheers

Mairu

Looks like the PSU was the problem. PC has been on for ~9 hours with no issues. First 6 hours consisted of just assorted stress tests to see if any other problems would occur. No issues. Yay! Gonna run another stress test overnight before I sleep and then tomorrow it's probably time to OC :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Najaf said:

final.png
I wouldn't get an i7 unless you need 8 threads for some reason, or got in on the microcenter deal. That much said x58 is a bit better for SLi since it has full bandwitdh and isn't that much more expensive.
You can most likely be fine with 4GB of RAM (unless you multitask a ton, CS5, a game, another game, and 2 browsers in the background)
Get a 750W PSU as well, 4x6 pin will help a lot compared to the 650W and give you some more comfort room.
Mairu said:
Looks like the PSU was the problem. PC has been on for ~9 hours with no issues. First 6 hours consisted of just assorted stress tests to see if any other problems would occur. No issues. Yay! Gonna run another stress test overnight before I sleep and then tomorrow it's probably time to OC :D
I'd contact Newegg/Corsair and send it back to them so they can see what was wrong with it.
Corky said:
Guys, just thinking about the future now. If/when I decide to upgrade my recently purchased pc ; which should I upgrade first CPU/GPUs?

Which gives us the cpu. I'm currently on a X3 BEE 720, thinking about ( again, in the future ) changing it to a X6 1090T BEE for around 200$-250$. Would this be the "correct" route? Would the upgrade be worth it?
Don't think about upgrading until a while.

There will be 2 new intel sockets, AM3 CPUs, the 5xxx series, and probably rumors of specs of nVidia's stuff as well.

Najaf

Hazaro said:
I wouldn't get an i7 unless you need 8 threads for some reason, or got in on the microcenter deal. That much said x58 is a bit better for SLi since it has full bandwitdh and isn't that much more expensive.
You can most likely be fine with 4GB of RAM (unless you multitask a ton, CS5, a game, another game, and 2 browsers in the background)
Get a 750W PSU as well, 4x6 pin will help a lot compared to the 650W and give you some more comfort room.

Got the i7 from microcenter for 200. Included it in pics to eliminate confusion. If I am not going to overclock, do I need the 750 if the system stands as is for the foreseeable future?

AkIRA_22

BigBlackGamer said:
2e67ned.jpg

PC up and running. :D

Idling at around 37-40 Celsius. may get into some overclocks later this week.

Woop Woop. i7, H50, ATI represent!

HAHA, love it, same as mine mate. never have I owned a PC I've been so in love with. silent, powerful, with huge OC overhead, you will not regret it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Najaf said:
Got the i7 from microcenter for 200. Included it in pics to eliminate confusion. If I am not going to overclock, do I need the 750 if the system stands as is for the foreseeable future?
You are cutting it close with amps on the 12V, but more importantly the 650W only has 2 6 pin connectors (Each GTX460 needs 2) vs the 750W's 4 so you'll lose 4 molex connectors and have to scrounge those adapters and maybe extensions.

So I'd go for the 750W for sure.
Also not overclocking is blasphemy as you are effectively getting 15-25% more performance (for GPU, 25%+ for CPU) for $0, which is equivalent to $200 in GPU cost.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hazaro said:
Don't think about upgrading until a while.

There will be 2 new intel sockets, AM3 CPUs, the 5xxx series, and probably rumors of specs of nVidia's stuff as well.

what would I do without you :) <3

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys little help here. I just checked in my everest and it shows that my CPU core voltage is .91V (i7 920). I checked on intel site and its in range (the range is till 1.2). But is it fine or is my PSU bad? Should it be at 1.2, cause almost everyone on other forums talks about 1.2 for 920? My PC is stable. Are all other settings alright here?
Screenie-

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kittoo said:
Guys little help here. I just checked in my everest and it shows that my CPU core voltage is .91V (i7 920). I checked on intel site and its in range (the range is till 1.2). But is it fine or is my PSU bad? Should it be at 1.2, cause almost everyone on other forums talks about 1.2 for 920? My PC is stable. Are all other settings alright here?
Screenie-

Your CPU is idling and is saving power by running a low multiplier and lower voltage.

Run a CPU intensive program and it'll shoot right back up.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hazaro said:
Your CPU is idling and is saving power by running a low multiplier and lower voltage.

Run a CPU intensive program and it'll shoot right back up.

Thanks Hazaro....you're awesome.

BTW, everything else is fine in that screenie? Is my PSU providing enough power to all components?

Wes

venison crêpe
I start a new job soon and I promised myself with my new income I'd built myself a new PC (mid to high range). I don't plan to build it until October/Novemeber but I like to read up on everything before I get aroudn to purchasing decisions and frankly I haven't been following the advances/changes in hardware at all over the past couple of years so it'll take some time to get back into the swing of things. So on to my first, of what I'm sure be many, question:

What are some of the better chipsets around at the moment? Or is there only one that everyone is using? (I keep seeing x58 listed everywhere)

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:
You keep saying this but back it up with nothing. I've seen nothing to suggest that Smasung's drives are unreliable. You're discounting noise levels as well, no one wants a noisy drive.

My Samsung is a little over 3 years old and running beautifully. I remember when I started seeing the reviews for mine: fastest HD, whisper quiet, and it ran SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than any other competing brand. Was sold. Haven't regretted it since and I now hold Samsung HDs in the highest regard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kittoo said:
Thanks Hazaro....you're awesome.

BTW, everything else is fine in that screenie? Is my PSU providing enough power to all components?
Software voltage checks just tell you if it is running in spec or not. Sometimes they are accurate.
You'd know if you had power issues because most likely your GPU would be slowing down or your computer just randomly turns off.
Wes said:
I start a new job soon and I promised myself with my new income I'd built myself a new PC (mid to high range). I don't plan to build it until October/Novemeber but I like to read up on everything before I get aroudn to purchasing decisions and frankly I haven't been following the advances/changes in hardware at all over the past couple of years so it'll take some time to get back into the swing of things. So on to my first, of what I'm sure be many, question:

What are some of the better chipsets around at the moment? Or is there only one that everyone is using? (I keep seeing x58 listed everywhere)
October/November is late enough that I'd hope we would have more information on Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge (AMD/Intel) along with ATi's 5xxx series of graphics cards.
Most likely new AM3 cpu's will be released along side a new AM3+ type of socket.
Intel is going for 2 new sockets.

So just check back when you are ready.
Alternatively see this guide: http://i.imgur.com/A55hA.jpg

1-D_FTW

MikeE21286 said:

Meant to quote this is my earlier reply. Check out prices on ebay. My model was selling for nice prices, so I did a BIN for 59.99 + shipping. After shipping, ebay, and paypal costs, I netted a profit of a little over 53 dollars.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DrForester said:
So any good, quiet CPU fan recommendations for an 1156 i5 that I would like to try to overclock.
http://i.imgur.com/A55hA.jpg

See HS's at bottom. Pick one. Pick a fan (<24dB) to go on it.
You can get a YateLoon or a pack from petra's tech shop.
Amazon also has a pack of 4 low speed CoolerMaster 120mmx25mm for $18.

JudgeN

BigBlackGamer said:
2e67ned.jpg

PC up and running. :D

Idling at around 37-40 Celsius. may get into some overclocks later this week.

Is that the HAF X? Is so good man :D

I need to post some pics of my HAF X cable job :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hello PC-Gaf, looking to build my first PC in a looooong time. Can anyone reccomend a build? I've been out of the game for a long time:

Budget: ~$600 (not including monitor) US
Main Use: Gaming, photoshop
Monitor Resolution: 1920 X 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: StarCraft 2, ARMA 2
Metro 2033, Dragon Age, Dawn of War II, Fallout 3, Crysis (1), Civilization V, FFXIV, Deus Ex

I'm willing to go over a little on budget if need be.

Mr_Brit said:
Better to spend the extra money and SLI 1GB 460s.

Benchmarks show very marginal differences between 1GB SLi and 768 SLi, even at the highest resolutions. Whether that will be true for the future is another story.

1-D_FTW

TheHeretic said:
Benchmarks show very marginal differences between 1GB SLi and 768 SLi, even at the highest resolutions. Whether that will be true for the future is another story.

But there are always crap optimizations out there. GTA IV is a game where it'll allow extra settings.

From my experience, this has been true for a long time. There's always a game here or there that doesn't follow what should logically be plenty.

Hi guys/gals,

I'm looking to build my first PC, never built one before just bought what was already put together at whatever store.

Budget: $1500 (willing to go over if needed)
Main Use: Gaming, Work(Remote desktop connections mostly)
Monitors: Will need at least 2
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: StarCraft 2 (I'm kinda assuming if it can run Star Craft 2 it will be able to run most other current games on decent settings).

Question: Do you guys normally put it together yourself or is it worth getting it done somewhere else, only ask cause I don't really have the time to put it all together myself.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!:D

1-D_FTW

DualShadow said:
Hi guys/gals,

I'm looking to build my first PC, never built one before just bought what was already put together at whatever store.

Budget: $1500 (willing to go over if needed)
Main Use: Gaming, Work(Remote desktop connections mostly)
Monitors: Will need at least 2
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: StarCraft 2 (I'm kinda assuming if it can run Star Craft 2 it will be able to run most other current games on decent settings).

Question: Do you guys normally put it together yourself or is it worth getting it done somewhere else, only ask cause I don't really have the time to put it all together myself.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!:D

Even if it's your first time, it shouldn't take much longer than an hour or two. Think of it as a gaming session. Real life experience and achievement points.

REV 09

I've decided to go GTX 460 instead of the 5870. Thing is that i may want to add another 460 to the rig down the road. i5-750, 4gb RAM...would a 650w PSU be enough for SLI GTX 460's? or do i need to upgrade to 750w? Also, i'm not sure which Asus mobo to get now that i'm considering SLI in the future.

Top Bottom