• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure coming to Steam

Momentary

Banned
They are EASILY salvageable.Azure runs at unlocked frames and can run at resolutions of up to whatever you want to. That's the only I tried before going to work. I'm sure if I can find the registry files for Atelier the same thing can be done with that

From what I understand Atelier is a better port that Azure right out of the gate.

Ascheroth

So the games came out on PC today, anybody picked it up to give details on the ports?

We've known some of the port details for a while now thanks to Durante.
The gist of it is:
Atelier: resolutions go up to 4k, 60fps

Nights of Azure: the launcher only shows resolutions up to 1080p, but it's possible to choose arbitrary resolutions in the registry. Framerate is unlocked, but higher than 60 can get a little glitchy, I've heard.
Also the default controller config is terrible/broken, but it takes like 10 seconds to reassign them in the launcher.

Only issue I had w/ Azure was having to disable DoF so that everything (including the characters) didn't look blurry when I set a higher resolution in the registry.. well, that and having to rebind all of the controller buttons.

Glad that these weren't trainwrecks.

Knurek

On my i7-4790K+980Ti

Atelier
4k60 with MSAAx4:
GPU Usage: 70-80%, but not hitting top boost levels (didn't see more than 600 MHz from few minutes I played, fans barely spin up)
CPU Usage: 90-95% spread on all 8 cores.

Yikes.
I seriously pity people with i3's and below. The game must be a slideshow on these setups.

Didn't buy the other game.

On my i7-4790K+980Ti
4k60 with MSAAx4:
GPU Usage: 70-80%, but not hitting top boost levels (didn't see more than 600 MHz from few minutes I played, fans barely spin up)

Yikes.
I seriously pity people with i3's and below. The game must be a slideshow on these setups.
Which game?

StereoVsn

On my i7-4790K+980Ti

Atelier
4k60 with MSAAx4:

Yikes.

Didn't buy the other game.
Wow, that's quite high CPU utilization considering this was PS4 (and Vita) game. Thank you for the report.

FYI, you have 4 cores / 8 threads, not 8 cores.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm scared
C9NnnEC.png

ezodagrom

I'm confident I'll get 60fps on my Q9650 on both games.
Getting 60fps on Atelier at 1080p and 4xSGSSAA with my Phenom II X4 955 and GTX 1060. Q9650 is from the same era as the Phenom II series, so I guess it would be fine for Atelier at least.
CPU usage is around 70~90% on all cores, but no issues with CPU temperature at all.

Yeshua

FX8350+RX480 on windows 10 :

-Atelier Sophie : Played it for 22 minutes, felt a bit sluggish, there is aliasing (though there is an option for anti aliasing), cannot use analog stick in the menu for some reason. At least it's seem playable though it made PC rather loud so the optimisation mus be shit.

-Night of Azure : "Played" it for 5 minutes, got 2 blue screen :-(, shit port of the year :-(

Sent an inquiry to Koei Tecmo for Night of Azure depending of their response I might ask a refund for them.

I didn't have issue running their previous games I bought (Dynasty Warriors 8, Samurai Warriors IV-2 and Arslan Warriors) so I'm quite dissapointed :-(

They really shoud hire Durante.

Battlechili

Banned
I wish there was a way to skip cutscenes. I keep having to restart Nights of Azure because I need to get the controls right

epmode

So I'm definitely getting Altelier Sophie, especially after hearing that the port isn't total garbage.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Nights of Azure, however. Reviews look a bit mixed. Is it any good?

Corpekata

Banned
So I'm definitely getting Altelier Sophie, especially after hearing that the port isn't total garbage.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Nights of Azure, however. Reviews look a bit mixed. Is it any good?

No. Said it a handful of times (probably a few in this thread even since it keeps getting bumped), but outside the occassional boss, most of the combat and level design feels like someone set a mediocre musou to Very Easy.

Good music and some good atmosphere are about the only strong points.

Gbraga

No. Said it a handful of times (probably a few in this thread even since it keeps getting bumped), but outside the occassional boss, most of the combat and level design feels like someone set a mediocre musou to Very Easy.

Good music and some good atmosphere are about the only strong points.

Is it too long? I can get both of them for $28,50 in my region, so I think that an easy and bland JRPG wouldn't be too bad for that much if it's not too long.

I'm definitely getting Atelier, though, so that would be ~$18. So I guess the real question is "is it worth $10?"

Momentary

Banned

Most of the reviews are of the port not the actual game. The game is easily fixable from what I've experienced before leaving for work.

SephLuis

I liked the game. The story and characters are good and so is the art and OST.

The gameplay is a very simple hack and slash with the options of summoning up to three companions to aid you in battle. The issue is that 99% of the game is too easy. You probably won't use the battle system to it's fullest because of that.

Thought, there are a couple of boss battles that are much, much harder. So it becomes a difficult peak point where suddenly you need to have a very good grasp of every mechanic to win. The battle depth is there, but the balance of the game isn't cooperating with it.

If you can buy it for around $20 bucks, I think it will be worth your money and time. The game itself isn't too long either, should be around 10-20 hours if you focus on the main story.

Gbraga

I liked the game. The story and characters are good and so is the art and OST.

The gameplay is a very simple hack and slash with the options of summoning up to three companions to aid you in battle. The issue is that 99% of the game is too easy. You probably won't use the battle system to it's fullest because of that.

Thought, there are a couple of boss battles that are much, much harder. So it becomes a difficult peak point where suddenly you need to have a very good grasp of every mechanic to win. The battle depth is there, but the balance of the game isn't cooperating with it.

If you can buy it for around $20 bucks, I think it will be worth your money and time. The game itself isn't too long either, should be around 10-20 hours if you focus on the main story.

That's perfect. And I won't be too underleveled if I focus on the main story?

I'm definitely tired as fuck of RPG sidequests, so I welcome that idea.

SephLuis

That's perfect. And I won't be too underleveled if I focus on the main story?

I'm definitely tired as fuck of RPG sidequests, so I welcome that idea.

I don't think you would be under level. IIRC, the game caps levels very early (10-30, I think)

There are a lot of side quests like hunting or getting a specific item, but those you can do while making the main story missions and the rewards aren't that expressive either, so they really are optional.

The game has multiple endings and even if you go through only the main story, I can think of only one boss that will give you trouble and it's one specific to one of the later endings.

Gbraga

I don't think you would be under level. IIRC, the game caps levels very early (10-30, I think)

There are a lot of side quests like hunting or getting a specific item, but those you can do while making the main story missions and the rewards aren't that expressive either, so they really are optional.

The game has multiple endings and even if you go through only the main story, I can think of only one boss that will give you trouble and it's one specific to one of the later endings.

Oh, really, multiple endings?

That's interesting, too. Is there a NG+?

I think I'm buying it, thanks for the impressions. So I guess I should pick up every sidequest and if I do it naturally, then that's great. If not, fuck it.

Corpekata

Banned
Is it too long? I can get both of them for $28,50 in my region, so I think that an easy and bland JRPG wouldn't be too bad for that much if it's not too long.

I'm definitely getting Atelier, though, so that would be ~$18. So I guess the real question is "is it worth $10?"

Yeah, 10 bucks I'd say it's worth a shot at if you're curious.

Knurek

So, for Atelier, if you're noticing framepacing issues (hitching while panning the camera left/right), switching to borderless windowed (well, windowed in the game, and then forcing borderless in an external tool) seems to at least partly fixed that for me.

Still some spikes here and there in frametime graph, but nothing extreme. And it looks way better to me.

SephLuis

Oh, really, multiple endings?

That's interesting, too. Is there a NG+?

I think I'm buying it, thanks for the impressions. So I guess I should pick up every sidequest and if I do it naturally, then that's great. If not, fuck it.

Once you do an ending, the game goes back before the point of no return. You actually have do to some endings before unlocking others. It isn't difficult to get them all without a guide.

Does that counts as the NG+ you asked ?

Gbraga

Once you do an ending, the game goes back before the point of no return. You actually have do to some endings before unlocking others. It isn't difficult to get them all without a guide.

Does that counts as the NG+ you asked ?

I guess it does, that's good enough.

Nevadatan

Will never happen. Sadly japan does not like feedback or outside worker's on their products.

I think Durante even said a word or two about it.

Yet the "Dark Souls Team" acknowledged that people have been modding the game for a while.

NoA seems pretty CPU reliant, so that's why it's shooting up way too high in the CPU range.

AS runs alright. I don't know if I can do a JRPG with all the games coming out.

StereoVsn

So looking at Steam reviews/comments/discussions it seems that Atelier goes bunkers if you have Hyper-threading enabled and runs up CPU utilization/temperature. Keybinding seems to be broken/non-existent for KB/M options and resolutions other then 16 x 9 are not supported.

Sounds like a KT port, alright.

Momentary

Banned
So looking at Steam reviews/comments/discussions it seems that Atelier goes bunkers if you have Hyper-threading enabled and runs up CPU utilization/temperature. Keybinding seems to be broken/non-existent for KB/M options and resolutions other then 16 x 9 are not supported.

Sounds like a KT port, alright.

I find it to be a bit better than the Azure port. You can push SGSSAA, it supports 4K 16:9 without any issues. Both do have some major CPU issues. You can see the CPU usage on the last picture.

StereoVsn

I find it to be a bit better than the Azure port. You can push SGSSAA, it supports 4K 16:9 without any issues. Both do have some major CPU issues. You can see the CPU usage on the last picture.

Yes, CPU, resolutions other then 16 x 9 and key bindings are broken. To me that's a deal breaker.

Falk

that puzzling face
Thread reopened. I figure the logic behind a new thread would be so that the OP has critical information w.r.t. performance etc. now that the game is out on Steam, but that didn't happen and instead there was no thread at all.

Oops!

bomblord1

Banned
So apparently Atelier runs well but how does it play?

For context I finished through Atelier Rorona on the Vita and I really didn't enjoy most of my time with it. The complete lack of overarching plot and my seeming inability to ever trigger meaningful character cutscenes for long periods of time really hurt it for me.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think Rorona has about as cookie cutter a setting as it gets - 'save your alchemy shop!' and even both its sequels (finding Totori's mom, and building the Arls kingdom) had far more interesting premises.

Did you play Rorona or New Rorona though? I feel like all these years later New Rorona, which was the culmination/refinement of design decisions for the whole trilogy, still has the best crafting systems in the entire franchise.

bomblord1

Banned
I think Rorona has about as cookie cutter a setting as it gets - 'save your alchemy shop!' and even both its sequels (finding Totori's mom, and building the Arls kingdom) had far more interesting premises.

Did you play Rorona or New Rorona though? I feel like all these years later New Rorona, which was the culmination/refinement of design decisions for the whole trilogy, still has the best crafting systems in the entire franchise.

I played the + version on the Vita.

They are EASILY salvageable.Azure runs at unlocked frames and can run at resolutions of up to whatever you want to. That's the only I tried before going to work. I'm sure if I can find the registry files for Atelier the same thing can be done with that

From what I understand Atelier is a better port that Azure right out of the gate.

ACG youtube review mentioned that he couldnt run the game above 1080

I'll buy the game given the cheap price as long as I can run it at 1440p

Ascheroth

ACG youtube review mentioned that he couldnt run the game above 1080

I'll buy the game given the cheap price as long as I can run it at 1440p

Atelier let's you select resolutions up to 4k from the launcher.
Nights of Azure only shows resolutions up to 1080p in the launcher, but you can choose whatever resolution you want by changing a registry entry (yes, it's incredibly stupid that it's not in the launcher, but at least it's possible and only takes like 10 seconds)
It's under HKEY_USERS -> SOFTWARE -> KoeiTecmo -> Nights of Azure -> Settings
uRhWdX1.png

Change the first 2 values in device to whatever resolution you want.

Atelier let's you select resolutions up to 4k from the launcher.
Nights of Azure only shows resolutions up to 1080p in the launcher, but you can choose whatever resolution you want by changing a registry entry (yes, it's incredibly stupid that it's not in the launcher, but at least it's possible and only takes like 10 seconds)
It's under HKEY_USERS -> SOFTWARE -> KoeiTecmo -> Nights of Azure -> Settings
uRhWdX1.png

Change the first 2 values in device to whatever resolution you want.

Would be cool if Duranta could contact K-T to let them fix that/add that in the launcher.

The Cpu utilization isn't a real issue at all, it's just actively waiting.

Yup. Even on my 3ghz i5 CPU usage is high, although it doesn't seems to use that. Even when Firefox and Youtube are open, CPU usage remains the same and performances dont drop.

Ascheroth

Would be cool if Duranta could contact K-T to let them fix that/add that in the launcher.

He probably told them already, since it was him that figured it out to begin with.
But it's pretty baffling, since it really shouldn't be much work letting the launcher get the list of supported resolutions from the OS.

Top Bottom