• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting this August, PS Now support will be on PS4 and PC only

DavidDesu

Sounds like they're winding down the service. It must be expensive to run and with so few (guessing) subs it doesn't cover the cost of the infrastructure. I really love the idea of PSNOW but it's still years out. When we all have gigabit connections with ping you can barely measure then it could be almost flawless, but as it stands anything requiring reaction time tends to not work all that well. Racing games are a bust, I can't imagine fighting games working well on there. Even FPS where you're aiming the lag is just too great, from what I've experienced of my trials.

Maybe by PS5 we can get true PS3 built in software emulation....

kennyamr

Not enough interest on those platforms for them to keep investing in those, I guess.

They will probably focus it more as a backwards compatibility only service for the PS4 and future Sony main consoles.

is there any chance the removal of everything but PS4/PC could improve the service? say a move to more emulation on the device and less streaming?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I literally picked a Sony TV over a superior Samsung model (for price and HDR spec) because of this feature.

Well we'll always have April.

This might sound a bit daft but is PS Now like an app? Like the Netflix app on my phone or console and you browse the game library available and pick the games you want to play?

Yep. More or less.

To be honest I never used it, but that's why I picked that model. You can pair PS4 controllers directly with the TV.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's just Sony being Sony, i mean it's understandable that a company decides to erase a service that probably doesn't make money, but lately everything that's not as sccessful as the base ps4 is abandoned, they don't understand that in the long run this policy will hurt people's faith in them especially in everything that's not a home console.

Wasn't this also on smartphones?
I was never interested in PSNow but i don't think it was ever available for Vita in Italy.

Prelude.

Good news imo. Locking Backwards compatibility was dumb, especially after MS offering it for free

You make it sound like it'd be perfectly feasible to run PS3 games on a PS4 without shoving a PS3 inside it, and they just wanted to push PSNow.

It's just Sony being Sony, i mean it's understandable that a company decides to erase a service that probably doesn't make money, but lately everything that's not as sccessful as the base ps4 is abandoned, they don't understand that in the long run this policy will hurt people's faith in them especially in everything that's not a home console.

For people on message boards, sure.

ShowDog

is there any chance the removal of everything but PS4/PC could improve the service? say a move to more emulation and less streaming?

No such thing as partial emulation in this case. They're either delivering a video stream or they're not and emulating the game locally. There is no hybrid. And I wouldn't count on local emulation although I guess you couldn't completely rule it out on a technical basis. But it's as likely as magic existing.

Afrikan

I wonder if they will be able to add back features that were taken out of these games that were streamed.

Wheel suppport
Move support
splitscreen
3D option

etc.

edit- just curious, did this service allow you to play Motorstorm 1 online?

breakfuss

It's not that abrupt, a 6 month warning is pretty decent as far as stopping services go. Still sucks for anyone that got a year subscription within the last 6 months on one of these devices.

They should have at least waited until the end of the calendar year. To be fair though they likely know how many will be impacted so they're like "time to close up shop" lol.

I literally picked a Sony TV over a superior Samsung model (for price and HDR spec) because of this feature.

Well we'll always have April.

Yep. More or less.

To be honest I never used it, but that's why I picked that model. You can pair PS4 controllers directly with the TV.

It's on Samsungs.

I was never interested in PSNow but i don't think it was ever available for Vita in Italy.

You are wrong on so many levels. Through the gens, Sony is the only one that has been pumping support for their older hardware. Take MS for example, they abandon ship the moment a new hardware is released, the last years of 360 were barren (excluding ROTTR).

SkylineRKR

PS Now sucks. I used it for a free month and was not impressed. Xbox BC blows it out of the water. I never really understood why Sony acquired Gaikai. For legacy gaming support so far it seems. Expensive and useless investment.

You make it sound like it'd be perfectly feasible to run PS3 games on a PS4 without shoving a PS3 inside it, and they just wanted to push PSNow.

You didn't know? Backwards Compatibility is as easy as flipping a switch! $ony is just being greedy, unlike based Microsoft!

/s Ignorance is bliss.

breakfuss

I can see them scrapping it entirely in the future.

I hope not. It's such a fantastic idea. But as it stands it's just too expensive for any sort of mass adoption. Plus internet speeds (at least in the States) aren't up to snuff. It just needs more time.

Is no one using PS Now on these other devices?

that is my first thought as well. Have we ever gotten any subscriber numbers? Seems like the service is trying to reduce their maintenance costs as it hasn't been much of a hit outside of PS4 and PC.

I'm actually mad about this. It's a ton of fun on the Vita as some games work really well with it.

I imagine Vita owners with PS Now subscriptions represent a very small percentage of the overall PS Now numbers...

Grinchy

Banned
My Vita couldn't even run the service back in the beta. The ancient and dirt-cheap Wifi adapter they put in those things was way too shitty to reach the necessary speed. That sucks about all the other things that were capable of doing it, though.

Don't see the big deal honestly, at least for the PS3 and Vita. It makes sense for them to want to funnel all resources to the device they are actually trying to sell now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They should have at least waited until the end of the calendar year. To be fair though they likely know how many will be impacted so they're like "time to close up shop" lol.

It's on Samsungs.

I was looking at two models at the time (flood insurance) and one had it (The Sony) and one didn't (the Samsung). I didn't go out of my way to get PSNow, just checked it off the list at Best Buy.

My TV still works. I'm still happy. I have two other devices that can access the feature anyway. Was just mentioning my TV anecdote.

joecanada

They sold 1 year subs at various times. If you bought that 1 year for use on a Vita or w/e they obviously should refund it partially.

Ah yeah OK for sure I'm guessing they would though.
Also alot of comments about price but this is extremely simple , if it was so unsuccessful isn't price the first thing they'd look at ? Seems way to simple of a reason for it to not be successful if it indeed isn't

Elandyll

Banned
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that they are freeing potential bandwidth to launch on IOS and Android, and the service might not even have been used all that much on TVs I guess? (If you have a dualshock 4 to play, you probably already have a PS4)
Edit:
Other guess
They expect a big influx of players on PS4 and PC, which I can only imagine happening under two scenarios, not necessarily exclusive of each other

1- Opening a 2nd tier of PS+ which opens a whole batch of PS Now titles to play, possibly on a rotating basis month to month
2- Opening PS Now to full BC, which would be and/ or physical / digital with PSN titles and / or PS3 discs. In essence, if you log in with your PSN account, you would have access to PSN titles you purchased on your PS3 that are avail on PS Now, same if you put in a PS3 game disc (physical not for PC obviously)

Fisty

Hey maybe this means they got PS3 backwards compatibility worked out for PS5

Honestly I don't think streaming is a great solution for gaming nowadays, between lag, data caps and pricing models it just doesn't seem to be a good fit. If you want to play Playstation games, just buy the damn box

Vinc

It frankly didn't run well on PS3, Vita, and smart tvs. Particularly PS3. Constant image quality loss and and increased input lag. Just wasn't a great experience.

Top Bottom