• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

jdstorm

Banned
If we're getting another racer I'd much rather have a new Excite Truck than a Kong racer.

JRPG/Scifi Burnout Paradise 3D (FLying) is my vote. Who wouldnt want to race around a gigantic 5th element/Minority Report inspired city as a Nintendo anime/scifi character (Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Elma, Kid Icarus, Link/Zelda, Pheonix Wright ect)

Neiteio

Hey, about this potential upcoming Direct — could it just be the video they usually do one month before E3, where they announce their E3 plans? Like the Mega64 skit in 2014, and the Reggie workout skit in 2015? So they could formally announce the Splatoon 2 tournament, the Treehouse Live streams, etc?

Personally, I hope it's TPC announcing Pokemon Stars. They seem to like announcing games on their own terms.

Super Metal Dave made a video again lol. I guess he has a video before where he said Metroid Prime 4 was being made and it was going to be revealed at E3. He said he's going to be in a podcast with Spawn Wave this weekend to give updates to the rumors he heard about. I'll be watching to hear about this Metroid Prime 4 game.

Shiggy

Super Metal Dave made a video again lol. I guess he has a video before where he said Metroid Prime 4 was being made and it was going to be revealed at E3. He said he's going to be in a podcast with Spawn Wave this weekend to give updates to the rumors he heard about. I'll be watching to hear about this Metroid Prime 4 game.

Wasn't he full of shit with his Switch rumours?

Tbh I can't remember what his Switch leaks were. I knew people didn't care for him after his whole leak fiasco.

He was the guy who accidentally got emailed the 3DS and Wii U project list and then got full of himself and believed in a faulty source that told him that the NX would be PS4 tier powered and AMD powered. And then went with it for months while insulting other insiders with his perfect intel.

I'm sad I think Retro is making Diddy Kong Racing now. The video game world will be sad too.

Literally where did this rumor come from, I've heard nothing.

He was the guy who accidentally got emailed the 3DS and Wii U project list and then got full of himself and believed in a faulty source that told him that the NX would be PS4 tier powered and AMD powered. And then went with it for months while insulting other insiders with his perfect intel.

Literally where did this rumor come from, I've heard nothing.

He was very arrogant and so adamant about AMD super powerful Nintendo console. And then he would say "it's stil coming". Like you said he insulted others who didn't agree with him.

It's not a rumor. It's what I personally believe they're making. I was saying most gamers will be said if Retro ends up making DKR2 because it's another racing game.

It's not a rumor. It's what I personally believe they're making. I was saying most gamers will be said if Retro ends up making DKR2 because it's another racing game.

Then I'll do you one worse and say they're doing a Donkey Kong 3 game. Yeah that's right. A remake of Donkey Kong 3 the Arcade game. BAM I can say stuff too.

FelipeMGM

I'm pretty sure he only broke one legit leak, that being 3DS budget report, with the rest being false.

And wasnt the only reason he knew that because someone mistakenly sent that 3DS budget report to a bunch of people who shouldnt have got it. Dude doesnt know anything, he was lucky one time, thats all lol

EDIT: yep, something like that

According to one person familiar with the situation, SuperMetalDave got his hands on that 3DS marketing plan because of an e-mail that was accidentally sent to a large group of people, then passed along to him. He didn't have any real ”inside" information beyond that e-mail, which might help explain why his subsequent reports were off the mark.

ITSMILNER

What are the chances we get Super Mario Galaxy HD collection and Metroid Prime HD trilogy on Switch do you guys think? I want Ninty to go all in on Switch remasters

What are the chances we get Super Mario Galaxy HD collection and Metroid Prime HD trilogy on Switch do you guys think? I want Ninty to go all in on Switch remasters

Before Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did so well I'd say not great, but now I have no idea. I agree I would absolutely love having those on the Switch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I think their main priority was transferring the multiplayer/online communities over to the Switch. Hence Mario Kart 8DX, Splatoon 2, and likely Super Smash Bros. DX.

We will see how they handle the offline Wii U classics (NSMBU, DKC, Captain Toad, Xenoblade X) at a later time? Maybe a few eshop digital releases at discounted prices.

ITSMILNER

Putting out a Galaxy HD collection next year, say in the summer, would be a huge title for Switch. Nintendo have so many classics they should upgrade and put out on Switch

I'm interested to see where EAD 1 and 2 go after they complete Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Animal Crossing by 2018. Obviously they will have small core teams that will continue supporting the games through updates and DLC but I'd be curious what games they work on next. I could see EAD 1 succesfully reinventing Star Fox as a multiplayer driven franchise. It could still have a SF64 style campaign but have the focus be on its multiplayer modes. Online dogfights with mecha transformations could make for some interesting battles. Maybe have a new all female squadron to choose to play as along with Star Fox and Star Wolf characters. Ability to select different ships, laser beams, special weapons, Arwing transformations, etc. Likewise after seeing what they could do with Splatoon. I could see EAD 2 doing a great job with Kid Icarus using Uprising as a good foundation for the game. Other than that I think they could make a Nintendoland 2 sequel work. Have new mini games that can be played single player, co-op, local and/or online multiplayer structured similar to Nintendoland. You gain rewards by playing minigames which allow you to build your own Nintendoland. You can unlock different buildings, structures and characters that visit the world you create. All Amiibo are compatible and unlock even more specific content from that respective franchise that the Amiibo came from. I think we could see Mario Maker and Pikmin 4 come out in 2018, possibly after that the teams could work on a new ip and/or a new 2D Mario series. As for the Zelda team, I really hope they are able to release a new ip. If they just use an updated BotW engine, perhaps they could split resources and get 2D Zelda, a new ip and a new 3D Zelda out in 3-4 years. The 3D Mario team will probably work on a sequel to the SM3DW style gameplay, maybe even call it Super Mario 3D Galaxy. They could complete that with 2 years development time and maybe work on a new ip after that. I'd like to see all of Nintendo's internal teams be able to do a new ip like EAD 1 and 2 were with arms and splatoon.

As for Retro, I like Retro for their high quality games, amazing level design, great art direction/style and content rich, single player adventures. With the Metroid Prime series, they were able to provide Nintendo with something different that was well received. DKC:R series was great as I'm sure whatever their next title will be but, I hope for something a bit more expansive and outside Nintendo's usual realm. With that said I have this feeling that they may be working on Luigi's Mansion given its performance on 3DS. I'd love to see Metroid but I have a feeling that will be worked on with another 3rd party developers.

Nintendo apparently was looking for someone to partner with for a new F-Zero game ready for Wii U launch. I wonder if that could be Monster Games next title. Nintendo seems to be more aware of its fan base including the niche ones. It will likely be a while until we see Next Level Games title but I think a Splatoon spin-off would be kinda cool. Call it Splatoon Gladiator incorporating multiple different sports modes with the mechanics of Splatoon. There could be different sports such as one based on Football but with the shooting and paint mechanics along with a much different arena design, one based on racing and trick system using skateboards and rollerblades, survivor mode, etc. Given NLG's work with Strikers and Federation Force, I think this could be a big hit.

I'm interested to see where EAD 1 and 2 go after they complete Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Animal Crossing by 2018. Obviously they will have small core teams that will continue supporting the games through updates and DLC but I'd be curious what games they work on next. I could see EAD 1 succesfully reinventing Star Fox as a multiplayer driven franchise. It could still have a SF64 style campaign but have the focus be on its multiplayer modes. Online dogfights with mecha transformations could make for some interesting battles. Maybe have a new all female squadron to choose to play as along with Star Fox and Star Wolf characters. Ability to select different ships, laser beams, special weapons, Arwing transformations, etc. Likewise after seeing what they could do with Splatoon. I could see EAD 2 doing a great job with Kid Icarus using Uprising as a good foundation for the game. Other than that I think they could make a Nintendoland 2 sequel work. Have new mini games that can be played single player, co-op, local and/or online multiplayer structured similar to Nintendoland. You gain rewards by playing minigames which allow you to build your own Nintendoland. You can unlock different buildings, structures and characters that visit the world you create. All Amiibo are compatible and unlock even more specific content from that respective franchise that the Amiibo came from. I think we could see Mario Maker and Pikmin 4 come out in 2018, possibly after that the teams could work on a new ip and/or a new 2D Mario series. As for the Zelda team, I really hope they are able to release a new ip. If they just use an updated BotW engine, perhaps they could split resources and get 2D Zelda, a new ip and a new 3D Zelda out in 3-4 years. The 3D Mario team will probably work on a sequel to the SM3DW style gameplay, maybe even call it Super Mario 3D Galaxy. They could complete that with 2 years development time and maybe work on a new ip after that. I'd like to see all of Nintendo's internal teams be able to do a new ip like EAD 1 and 2 were with arms and splatoon.

As for Retro, I like Retro for their high quality games, amazing level design, great art direction/style and content rich, single player adventures. With the Metroid Prime series, they were able to provide Nintendo with something different that was well received. DKC:R series was great as I'm sure whatever their next title will be but, I hope for something a bit more expansive and outside Nintendo's usual realm. With that said I have this feeling that they may be working on Luigi's Mansion given its performance on 3DS. I'd love to see Metroid but I have a feeling that will be worked on with another 3rd party developers.

Nintendo apparently was looking for someone to partner with for a new F-Zero game ready for Wii U launch. I wonder if that could be Monster Games next title. Nintendo seems to be more aware of its fan base including the niche ones. It will likely be a while until we see Next Level Games title but I think a Splatoon spin-off would be kinda cool. Call it Splatoon Gladiator incorporating multiple different sports modes with the mechanics of Splatoon. There could be different sports such as one based on Football but with the shooting and paint mechanics along with a much different arena design, one based on racing and trick system using skateboards and rollerblades, survivor mode, etc. Given NLG's work with Strikers and Federation Force, I think this could be a big hit.

Lots of great ideas and I would love for the 3D Mario team to make a brand new IP. I want to see a brand new experience (single player) from them. Also, Aonuma kind of hinted he's making a new IP with a thief. Takahashi, one of the heads at Nintendo, said to expect a lot more new IPs from Nintendo.

With Retro you said they might be making Luigis Mansion. Were you confusing them with Next Level Games since NLG made Luigis Mansion Dark Moon?

MTC100

Banned
Lets hope retro studios is working on a new metroid game, preferably with the BotW engine and in third person view (note: using the botw engine doesn't mean it has to be an open world game, while exploring a huge alien planet crawling with metroids and other alien live forms sounds pretty dank).

Well whatever it is, their game will most likely be shown at E3, I'd be a bit dissapointed if it was just another DKC game though (even though they were on par with what Rare created in the SNES)

I keep forgetting about Pikmin 4. It was on the list to come out during the first year for the Switch from different rumors. Maybe Pikmin 4 will be announced at E3 and release this fall.

Neiteio

I keep forgetting about Pikmin 4. It was on the list to come out during the first year for the Switch from different rumors. Maybe Pikmin 4 will be announced at E3 and release this fall.
Which rumormongers said Pikmin 4 was slated for Switch's Year 1?

Galaxy might be lineup filler in future year. They won't release it within a year of Odyssey.

Mpthd could totally happen. It's like the most cautious release for the series possible.

Am I the only one who want Retro to make an Action RPG.

It would be pretty cool, but there are already a lot of those on other consoles.

I'd personally love to see them make a AAA 3D platformer featuring those awesome action-packed set piece moments and that dynamic camera from their DKC (soft) reboot series.

RIP Spawn Wave.
You will be missed.

I'm just being weird but I always found the notion of doing a Diddy Kong Racing 2 somewhat strange considering the original game is basically now gone forever due to legal issues.

"Here's Diddy Kong Racing 2, you guys!"
"Cool! But where's Diddy Kong Racing 1?"
"Uh...."

Last game they worked on was Federation Force which came out last year. We don't know what they've been doing since.

I'm sure the people that brought us Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon are eager to cleanse themselves of the FF stench and announce a new game. I expect some announcement from them in E3.

TheMoon

I'm just being weird but I always found the notion of doing a Diddy Kong Racing 2 somewhat strange considering the original game is basically now gone forever due to legal issues.

"Uh...."

reminder that Diddy Kong Racing came out on the DS about a decade ago. And that DK64 came out on VC

There's no problem with DKR if they stuck with the alterations from the DS version.

reminder that Diddy Kong Racing came out on the DS about a decade ago. And that DK64 came out on VC

There's no problem with DKR if they stuck with the alterations from the DS version.

I doubt they're worried about it. That was a very long time ago. They've got plenty of new characters today and whatever else needed to be replaced I'm sure is no biggie.

"Uh...."
That actually happened with Motor Toon Grand Prix (MTGP) series on PSX.

The first MTGP was released in Japan only. MTGP2 came to Japan and Europe as MTGP2. But the USA freaked out and renamed their release of MTGP2 to MTGP.

Since Miyamoto's potential influence on story content in future first-party Nintendo games (RPG games in particular) has been a frequently recurring topic in various threads (most recently in the Rabbids threads, here and here), I thought it might be of interest to assemble some of the material that I found interesting on this subject. Would definitely be interested in any additional material/insight that folks think is pertinent:
https://dariophantom.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/paper-mario-a-series-folding-under-pressure/
...To get a full grasp on why things changed, we have to look at how things came to be in the first place. The first Mario RPG was Super Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo [which started development some time around late 1993]. This game was made with Square (makers of Final Fantasy) in an effort to benefit each other: Square wanted to a wider demographic with their RPGs and Nintendo was interested in making an RPG [in order to expand the audience for Nintendo's own characters]. Due to this collaboration, an incredibly unique game was created with the intricacies of an RPG combined with the action gameplay of platformers set in a familiar and different world [and with lots of new player characters and NPC's from beyond the existing Mario universe]...

https://extralives.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/happy-20th-anniversary-super-mario-rpg/
In an interview by Maximum... in 1995, they spoke to Yoshio Hongo of Nintendo's General Affairs Department who went on to answer the question of whose idea it was to put Mario in an RPG:

Maximum: Mario is Nintendo's favourite character – whose idea was it to make the RPG – Nintendo's or Square's?

Yoshio Hongo (Nintendo): Both. Square's RPGs sold well in Japan but not overseas. There have been calls from all ages, and from young girls, for another character to which they could become attached [commercial, demographic considerations]. Mario was the best, but had not been in an RPG. Nintendo's director, Mr. Miyamoto also wanted to do an RPG using Mario. There happened to be a chance for both companies to talk, which went well. Nintendo had wanted to do a Mario RPG and Square had the programming ability, so Mario could become a popular RPG character anywhere in the world."
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Interview:Official_Nintendo_Magazine_September_14th_2003
Sept 2003
ONM: What about RPG's? Nintendo has traditionally not done many of them... basically it's been Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, but these have been very popular among fans. What was your involvement with them? And what do you like or dislike about the RPG formula?
Miyamoto: I personally have a fundamental dislike of the RPG system. But there are so many people who do like it and there are certain types of games for which that system is perfectly suited. I think that with an RPG you are completely bound hand and foot, and can't move. But gradually you become able to move your hands and legs.... you become slightly untied. And in the end, you feel powerful. So what you get out of an RPG is a feeling of happiness. But I don't think they're something that's fundamentally fun to play. With a game like that, anyone can become really good at it. With Mario though, if you're not good at it, you may never get good. I don't really like the system, but if you need to have a game with dialogue - in the case of Shigesato Itoi's Mother, as far as bringing about a writer's voice and bring a book to life. And in the case of Mario, if you're not good at action games, but still want to play a Mario title, you can. In those cases, it's a good system. For Super Mario RPG [1996], I worked on the game system and gameplay ideas as well, for Earthbound [Mother 2 / 1994], I just worked on the game system. But I did speak to Itoi quite often, giving him encouragement... We had high hopes for Earthbound, the Super NES version, in the US, but it didn't do well. We even did a TV commercial, thinking, "Hey... this thing could sell three million copies!" But it didn't. You might not know this, but there was a petition in the US, a 'Please make Mother 3' petition and it got about 30,000 signatures! After that, we thought "Wow... Earthbound fans are really solid"...
So despite his ”fundamental dislike" of the RPG system, Miyamoto admits that ”there are so many people who do like it, and there are certain types of games for which that system is perfectly suited... in the case of Mario, if you're not good at action games, but still want to play a Mario title..."; and this admission from Miyamoto quite closely corresponds to Hongo's earlier statement: ”...There have been calls from all ages, and from young girls, for another character to which they could become attached... Nintendo's director, Mr. Miyamoto also wanted to do an RPG using Mario...."

For Miyamoto and Hongo, then, there was clearly something of a commercial interest in expanding the demographic appeal of Mario, which in turn motivated Miyamoto to overcome his ”fundamental dislike" of the RPG genre, to the extent that he himself pursued the cooperation with Square, and he himself participated in the development of Super Mario RPG.

Moreover, I think it's particularly interesting to note Miyamoto's reference to the ‘writer's voice', in describing Shigesato Itoi: ”...I don't really like the system, but if you need to have a game with dialogue - in the case of Shigsato Itoi's Mother, as far as bringing about a writer's voice and bring a book to life..."

The ‘writer's mentality' or ‘writer's voice' is something Miyamoto has mentioned more than once (in connection with people like Shigesato Itoi, Denis Dyack, Hideo Kojima), something that he views as necessary in order for a story-heavy project to be successful, and in order for him to feel a ‘sense of security' about such a project: if an authentic 'writer's voice' is present on a particular project, and if that writer is willing and able to invest serious time and effort into that project, Miyamoto may be willing to actively ‘encourage' that writer/project, and indeed take some amount of risk to support or promote the project (”...if I were to work on it with Itoi, I intended to make him write everything himself... Itoi seemed dead serious about it and offered to lighten his copywriting load, so I put together a team for him in Tokyo... we said that we'd call it quits if he couldn't give us the time—since we trusted that he would, we okayed the project..."):
https://yomuka.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/earthbound-64-cancellation-interview-itoi-miyamoto-iwata/
Aug 2000
Miyamoto: ...Lots of businesses were doling out cash for celebrity names. I felt Nintendo needed to avoid that approach, so if I were to work on it with [Shigesato] Itoi, I intended to make him write everything himself. So I showed him the giant mountain of papers. I was telling him he'd need to put in the work and write it all himself... So the true value of Itoi's game was going to lie in the blood, sweat and tears he would pour into to the game. But Itoi still had his full-time job, and game production isn't something you can do on the side. But Itoi seemed dead serious about it and offered to lighten his copywriting load, so I put together a team for him in Tokyo... we said that we'd call it quits if he couldn't give us the time—since we trusted that he would, we okayed the project. There was all kinds of criticism about it, though. Some people accused us of wagging our tails at celebrities, others questioned whether a copywriter could do such a thing. But none of that had anything to do with it—I had Itoi make the game because I was confident in him. And that's how it was for both MOTHER [1989] and MOTHER 2 [Eathbound, 1994]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwt-YfeU0A
Sept 2003
Miyamoto: "...With Kojima-san, I have this absolute sense of security. And Denis of Silicon Knights, working on Nintendo's Eternal Darkness, is someone with a strong sense of being a writer and including his taste and thoughts as a writer. I was very worried whether or not such a writer mentality person and Kojima-san would work together in this collaboration..."

https://web.archive.org/web/2006121...motoshrine.com/theman/interviews/081403.shtml
Sept 2003
ONM: What was it like working with Denis Dyack and Silicon Knights, and with Retro? How was that different to working with Rare?
Miyamoto: The relationship with each of these companies has been very different. Denis Dyack is an author. We're working to give him the business opportunity to make the games that he wants to; to support him and help him realize his dream. Retro is a production company so we are thinking how to benefit both companies. And Rare is an independent company that can make whatever it wants to make. So like Retro, we needed to do what was best for both of us...

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/bl/onm/onmems-131.JPG
May 2000
Q: Why was Jungle Emperor Leo on the N64 cancelled? The early shots looked great!
Miyamoto: For this project, I felt it was important that my colleague and artist, Mr. Tezuka, was the director, while I took a back seat. Since Mr. Tezuka decided to give priority to his Jungle Emperor Leo movie project, we had to bring the game development to a halt. I'm very sad, too! I feel sorry for Nintendo fans who were looking forward to this game...

http://web.archive.org/web/20110701...oshrine.com:80/theman/interviews/160202.shtml
Feb 2002
Next Game: A lot of people think that a videogame, like a movie, can be considered a piece of art. What do you think about it?
Miyamoto: Creating a form of entertainment can't be considered art, real artists are others. I don't consider myself an artist, for example, it would be insulting towards real ones.

https://yomuka.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/earthbound-64-cancellation-interview-itoi-miyamoto-iwata/
Aug 2000
Miyamoto: ...We had several projects underway overseas, and the number one example domestically was ”Kimba the White Lion." We did it one and a half, two years, and we reached a point where it was almost done, but we quit. Makoto Tezuka did the directing and settled all the affairs of the office, but it was happening at the same time as his movie. The movie had three more months to go, so he had to submerge himself in that priority... Makoto Tezuka, who I mentioned earlier, used his father's property—Kimba the White Lion—to bring things together across several genres. And with Itoi, we said that we'd call it quits if he couldn't give us the time—since we trusted that he would, we okayed the project... so if I were to work on it with Itoi, I intended to make him write everything himself...

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/bl/onm/onmems-25b.JPG
Jan 1998
Miyamoto: The Jungle Emperor Leo TV series was drawn by Osamu Tezuka, a self-styled ‘Visualist' who makes movies, writes books and so on. Anyway, his son, Makoto Tezuka, said that he'd like to do some directing. I grew up reading his father's comics, and they had an incredible influence on my generation. Because of this, I decided to work with Makoto. We created the Tokyo Nintendo Team which is working on the game in the Nintendo building...

http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/03/31/the-dying-king
Mar 1999)
When we asked Miyamoto what he would consider to be his biggest failure, the Mario-creator answered: ”I cannot tell you specifically what title it was, but a while ago we asked a popular celebrity to become a game director -- and together with me he was going to make a game. But that celebrity was too busy to concentrate on game-design, so even though we spent a lot of time working on the game, we could not release it to the market..." As readers of IGN64 may know, Nintendo was originally planning to design Emperor of the Jungle in conjunction with Osamu Tezuka's heir, Makoto Tezuka...

http://www.boxedpixels.co.uk/2015/02/game-070-super-mario-rpg.html
Nintendo buddying up with Square would have seemed like the dream paring in the mid-Nineties. Even though the PlayStation was starting to enter homes, Mario was still at the top of his game, still the most recognisable gaming character in the world. Square meanwhile were riding a wave of success owing to ‘Chrono Trigger' and ‘Final Fantasy III (VI)'s critical and commercial acclaim.

”It was decided in a meeting at the highest level" recalls game director Chihiro Fujioka... ”There was a lot of programmers who were fans of comedy and stand-up" he acknowledges. ”It was only natural it would end up that way. It was all fine because Mr Miyamoto didn't get angry, he pretty much gave us a free hand although he did let us know which series characters he wanted to appear"... Fujioka believes that ”it was a very close and favourable relationship."

Although Square did much of the development of ‘Super Mario RPG', the guiding hand of producer Shigeru Miyamoto was felt across production. According to Fujioka, Miyamoto had two main responsibilities when it came to the development of the game. ”One was keeping an eye on the handing of Mario's entry into the RPG world without destroying the Mario Universe; the other was the actual concept of fun in the game." Evidently, it was because of Miyamoto's direct involvement that platform jumping action sequences and mini games were included around the typical JRPG fare...

So the project (Super Mario RPG - 1996) got off the ground in the first place because Miyamoto 'wanted to do an RPG using Mario', he was 'directly involved' with parts of the 'game system [game design] and gameplay ideas' but gave ‘free hand' to Square to add new characters and to emphasize story, and even while Miyamoto kept a watchful eye on the development, the new characters, the new worlds/settings, the story emphasis, and the RPG structure remained prominent in the final game:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110714103950/http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/0898.shtml
Aug 1998
Nintendo Power: Will there be a lot of 3-D cinema scenes in Zelda [Ocarina of Time]?
Miyamoto: Perhaps more than 40 minutes worth of scenes. I think it's important to have cinema scenes in order to keep people actively involved in the game.
NP: Who's in charge of creating the story?
Miyamoto: There's one scenario writer. He wrote drafts and I made comments and changes... Meeting a variety of characters is more important than the story line. And action is very important, things like simplifying the button controls for complex actions... I think the use of real time cinema scenes is something we really haven't seen much of before... I don't think that a story alone can make a game exciting. I'm afraid that people think that I ignore story lines or that I don't feel that the story has any value. My first priority is whether the game play is interesting. What I mean by that is that a player is actively involved in the game. The story is just one of the ways to get players interested, like the enemies or puzzles. If you just want a good story, you should pick up a novel or see a movie. The difference is in the participation. In a game, you might meet a character, but you don't find out his story until later, after you do something that reveals the truth about him. It's all up to the player. You only get that sort of experience with the interactive entertainment. Of course, the scenario, characters and graphics are all important, but its this active attitude that is the most important element...
NP: So what is your next game going to be be?
Miyamoto: I'm working on a new project right now where I'd like to spend most of my time. But I'm also responsible for several titles including Mario Artist and Mario RPG [Paper Mario - 2000]...
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/1
Iwata: Paper Mario [2000] for the Nintendo 64 was the first game in this series of paper-thin 2D graphics. I think Miyamoto-san really persevered until achieving that unique style. As the developers at that time, what was it like?
Nakajima: It was indeed a challenge. After it was decided that [Intelligent Systems] would make a second Super Mario RPG, we ran into trouble deciding how it should look in order to bring out a different theme than in the main series...
Aoyama: ...casually for my own interest and totally apart from the course the team was taking, I made a rough image. I hoped it would somehow serve as a kickoff point and submitted it... It's made of 3D polygons, but I drew it to have an atmosphere like that of a picture book transplanted into a video game—with paper-thin 2D background and characters... I think about that time there was a trend of going for realistic 3D in home consoles, but I thought it might be an interesting twist to make use of those capabilities to use 3D in emphasizing a 2D appearance...
Iwata: Oh, it's from 15 years ago on March 5, 1997...
Tanabe: I think that [the image by Aoyama] made a strong impression on Miyamoto-san. After the Nintendo 64 version, Aoyama-san was away from the series for a while, but then he got appointed as project director for this game [Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2012]...
https://dariophantom.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/paper-mario-a-series-folding-under-pressure/
...Back in 1997, there was a bit discussion about what direction to take the next Mario RPG in. Like HAL Laboratory (known for the Kirby series), the team at Intelligent Systems wanted to make a product good enough to stand beside Super Mario 64... Fast forward to about twelve years later [to the development period of Sticker Star], it was evident that a Paper Mario game on the 3DS would work well. Miyamoto wanted there to be a big change in the atmosphere of Paper Mario so Aoyama was appointed ‘Project Director', presumably because it was his original design that started the whole series... it looks like [Miyamoto] was the one that put together the main parts of the development team as well as the one spearheading for a certain direction. It was a different direction, but this wasn't the first time the series took a new direction since the main director of the first three Paper Mario games, Ryota Kawade, was the one who came up with the idea of the drastic shift from RPG to platformer with Super Paper Mario [2007]. He and producer Kensuke Tanabe agreed upon making it an ‘action-adventure' game, in hopes to make it more ”accessible" to a wider audience. With the idea of making the series more ‘accessible', Sticker Star definitely took inspiration from the parent ‘Super Mario' series: using established characters, distinguishable locations and emphasis on gameplay rather than story...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...re/3-Abandoning-The-RPG-Structure-690601.html
Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project [note that this would've been in late 2009, and would also have been the same time that the comparatively story-heavy Mario & Luigi: Dream Team by AlphaDream, also supervised by Miyamoto, was starting development]—"It's [Paper Mario: Sticker Star, specifically] fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world."
Iwata: That's a difficult task. In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series.
Tanabe: Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario [2007] game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting. A lot of people said that the Flip move for switching between the 3D and 2D dimensions was fun.

...Intelligent Systems was under Kensuke Tanabe's umbrella at SPD 3 (always with Miyamoto supervision) [throughout the development process for Sticker Star, which started in late 2009] while AlphaDream was under Toshiharu Izuno's SPD 4 group [throughout the development process for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, which started in late 2009], also with Miyamoto supervision...
So even though Miyamoto supervised in both cases and at about the same time (starting in late 2009), the results –- Sticker Star (2012) vs. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (2013) –- are not at all the same, with respect to story content, characters, locations, and structure:
...In regards to the games' removal of traditional RPG elements [from Paper Mario: Sticker Star], I'll refer to the interview with Color Splash's associate producer, Risa Tabata. To paraphrase, ”...Since we have [the] established Mario & Luigi RPG series, in order to differentiate these two series that we have running concurrently, we've tried to focus more on the non-RPG elements for the Paper Mario games."

Now, this quote and similar ones have left fans bothered since they believe the games are ‘different enough' to coexist. In fact, this and the removal of story and characters is baffling to some, since Paper Mario did start out as ‘Super Mario RPG 2‘ and was called ‘Mario Story‘ in Japan... Super Mario RPG was largely developed by Square with Nintendo's assistance. When it came time for Nintendo to develop an RPG on their own (Paper Mario), they took heavy inspiration from Super Mario RPG: unique characters, utilizing a magic source (FP, in this instance), far off lands, intricate story, etc. The... real development they brought to the table WAS the ‘paper' art style. When Thousand Year Door came around, they essentially doubled down on that formula. But by the time of Super Paper Mario, a big shift moved it away from being an RPG to more of an ‘action' based game.

Meanwhile, during Paper Mario's series development, there was an RPG developed by second-party company, AlphaDream, called Tomato Adventure. This game was initially created for the Game Boy Color but shifted over to the Game Boy Advance once that system was released. Tomato Adventure went on to serve as a big inspiration to the Mario & Luigi series, the OTHER Mario RPG series. This series would go on to be very successful and as stated by Color Splash's producer Risa Tabata, the ”established RPG series". So what makes Mario & Luigi more worthy of having that distinction? AlphaDream happens to include prominent staff members from Square Co., including one such man named Chihiro Fujioka. And Fujioka just happens to be the director of Super Mario RPG and has been involved with every entry of the Mario & Luigi games...
See also:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177340

Shiggy

It looks to me as if Headstrong Games has been disbanded after Disney Art Academy. Checking on that game's credits, all team members moved somewhere else. Given that Kuju had like 6 studios 10 years ago, and then scaled down to a small Art Academy team at Headstrong and a small casual game studio, it wouldn't be a surprise.

This game was thus unsuccessfully pitched;
allstars_uic5zm2.jpg

Top Bottom