• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever played a PERFECT game?

Kientin

Nah. There are games that I absolutely love that I even consider life shaping. None of them are perfect, however. And that's completely ok.

jettpack

I would say Super Hexagon is perfect relative to what it is trying to achieve.

AOE2 and Half life 2 are always my go toos..... but of course no game is actually perfect.

FinalAres

It's not my favourite game but the closest is MGS1. It feels like such a complete experience, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Also LttP.

GenericUser

Only judging the first time I played it:

250px-Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

could not find a single flaw. Everything was perfect. Battle System, Story, Lore, Atmosphere, Music - everything.

Most games age, so does FF7. I wouldn't consider it perfect nowadays.

For what it's setting out to do, I'd say that The Witness is perfect. I've spent countless hours with it, and I can honestly say that it's the most polished and well made game I've had the pleasure of playing.

Banzai

There are games that I consider to be absolute master works, like MGS3, Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix, Spelunky. But the only game I would ever call objectively perfect is Tetris. It's just...well, perfect.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
As almost everyone has mentioned, nothing is perfect. Closest to perfection for me, is Half Life 2..story, pacing, gfx, sound design, variety in environments,gamepplay, that offing Gravity gun...everything is god-tier...and all that was done ~13 years back...it completely blew me away back then....nothing ever came close to that feeling...yet.

Bramble

The perfect game does not exist, but to name a few that come close in my opinion:

Half-Life
Bloodborne
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2 + 4
Arkham City
INSIDE
Far Cry 3

I would not change a single thing in this games, so these, for me, are perfect (I guess):

WonderBoy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GameBoy)
Yoshi's Island (SNES)
Rayman's Legend (PSVita)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Tetris. Or Snake. Or Minesweeper.

I'm not sure 2048 could be any better at what it does, either. It's a perfect version of Threes.

Has the witness been mentioned? In its own it's pretty much perfect as it is the ultimate version of what it set out to be.

So is inside by the way.

Scoops

Banned
Don't think there's a such thing because it's too subjective but when I first read the thread title Metroid Prime is what popped into my head so you go OP.

Wunkerful

Neo Member
Recently I've been very impressed by Battlerite. I think at launch and beyond it could get close to perfect. The game is mechanically dialed in and has interesting variability from round to round as playstyles and battlerites change. And the art design is one of the most impressive I've seen in a (soon to be) f2p game. It seriously feels and looks like how I would have thought a Blizzard moba would turn out. Overwatch levels of quality imo.

Depends by what definition. I've played many games that appear to perfectly align with the developers intentions. No objective faults, or usability issues. In that respect, plenty of games are perfect.

Jessensor

Ooh that's tough. I guess simpler games are easier to perfect. Less moving parts. In my opinion:

Rayman Legends
Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition

There's no such thing as a perfect game. Even my absolute favourite game of all time, Crash 2, isn't perfect to me, if only for the fact the last boss is probably in the top 5 disappointing boss fights of all time.

I'd say there are games that achieve everything they set out to achieve, and perfect that formula, but even they're not perfect.

No such thing because if you really think about it then any game will have a fault of some kind. It just depends upon how much of a negative impact this has.

The first game that came into my head when I saw this thread was Doom 2016 (PC version). I am a miserable jaded gamer and this reminded me why I play games. Pure unadulterated fun with a story if you wanted to take it in, exploration if you wanted to bother, but most importantly a ****-tonne of completely nuts shooting.

God of War 3 is a perfect game for me. It takes that amazing cliffhanger from part 2 and tops it with far and away the best opening of any game.

The rest of the game is a tour de force were Kratos takes revenge on all his enemies while the world around him is progressively destroyed. The ending is fantastic, too.

God of War 3 truly is the pinnacle of epicness. All this in technical perfection.

ugly

I would not change a single thing in this games, so these, for me, are perfect (I guess):

WonderBoy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GameBoy)
Yoshi's Island (SNES)
Rayman's Legend (PSVita)

Wow! This looks pretty heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands.

Trying to tell someone they haven't played a perfect game is a bit similar to saying something can't be considered art. It's subjective, and personal perspective.

Cracklox

In more recent timers the witcher 3 came close. If it had Dragons Dogma combat then it would be as close to perfection as you can get.

Other games I hold in similar regard are TLOU and RE4. Those were some special experiences going through them the first time, and didn't do a lot wrong but still not quite perfect.

Wireframe

Talk about a loaded question/bait thread. If I had to give my 2c I'd say mario 64 or OOT they're not perfect but probably closest.

The games I felt have been the closest, to being perfect in relation to what they aimed to achieve:

ICO
Super Mario World
The Secret of Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
Hexagon
Spelunky (free version)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes. Super Mario Bros 3 and World. As a very, very young child I was unable to see any flaws they may have had. They were also some of my very first games. My experience with them was completely pure.

fireflame

Baldur'sgate 2, the old fallout games and Planescape came close to perfection in terms of RPGS.

I am not looking for perfection as it would mean i cannot enjoy anything better in future.

giapel

Perfect as in I wouldn't change a thing? A fair few.
Random list of the top of my head:
Tetris
Super Mario Bros 3
Baldur's Gate 2
Mario Galaxy (1&2)
Phoenix Wright 3
Kirby canvas curse
VVVVVV
Wii sports resort

Top Bottom