• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo playing cards

I've been reading the wonderful History of Nintendo from Pix 'n Love and I've decided to get me some Nintendo playing cards, but I need some help from Japan GAF. A friend of mine is going to Japan and I want to ask him to bring back some of these nice items.

First of all, Hanafuda cards. I've been reading about a Mario themed set, but this was Club Nintendo only? So I guess it's not available in stores? If they are, what is the common price for it? If not, I'm going for the Napoleon set and I'd like to know what's the common price for that set.

3186719468_d808664e3a_z.jpg

Second, 'normal' playing cards. I've found this website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/chara_t_m/index.html?link=rss and was wondering if all those three sets are available in stores in Japan? Also, at what price.

(if this should be in off topic, then please move)

Forkball

I got the hanafuda cards from Club Nintendo. They are unfathomably awesome, and you are right to be depressed for not owning them.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have the Club Nintendo hanafuda, a Napoleon set, and a black set of Nintendo kabufuda cards. Also have the trump set just talked about, it's NAP-001, about 1000 yen. Here's the text of a post I made at N-Sider, might give you some information, click the link for pictures.

me said:
You can take a look at their other standard playing cards ("trump sets") and Hanafuda/Kabufuda and Karuta playing cards here http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/index.html. They have some really awesome standard designs and card backs on their normal playing card sets.

Every Hanafuda Nintendo card is available either in red or black. You have three choices for selecting which Hanafuda set you want. There is the classic Nintendo style (President, with Napoleon's face and a nice flip-open plastic case). There is also the Tengu set, which as far as I can tell is identical to President but has a different picture on the case and is about 400 yen less. Finally there is Miyakono, which has again different box art and just has a little plastic tray that the cards rest in instead of the nice case, and they are also a little cheaper still.

The Kabufuda is only in black President style, and the Karutas are different styles (you will have absolutely no use for Karuta, it is a game about memorizing two halves of 100 traditional Japanese poems and then matching them).

Here are some differences between the standard set and the Club Nintendo set. I think they are pretty tastefully done and happy to have them in my collection next to the other ones!

http://forums.n-sider.com/showthread.php?4976-Club-Nintendo-2010-Rewards&p=138417#post138417

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Notorious_Roy said:
First of all, Hanafuda cards. I've been reading about a Mario themed set, but this was Club Nintendo only? So I guess it's not available in stores? If they are, what is the common price for it?
They're 800 coins on the US Club Nintendo site, and are pretty cool (though on the small side).

You get 10 coins for DSi/Wiiware games, 30 coins for registering DS games, 50 for Wii games, 160 coins for registering hardware. 10 points for filling out post play surveys for titles you've registered. You can also earn bonus coins for registering games the week they're released.

So if you really want those Hanafuda cards, you could just buy a bunch of Nintendo stuff.

ijed

Hanafuda ones look awesome and since I have no idea how to play that game I'd just be looking at them ... still want them tho.

Cashed in some of my stars for these:
Marioparty_Cards_big_freisteller.jpg

Pretty cool and make a big mario party pic when you stick them together - those 25th anniversary ones look the shiz tho :D

I bought the middle quality Nintendo Hanafuda set (with the tengu lookalike on the cover) from KiddyLand in Tokyo back in August. Cost about 1500 Yen. They didn't have the Napoleon set but I gues that one is about 2000-2500 yen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Notorious_Roy said:
I've been reading the wonderful History of Nintendo from Pix 'n Love and I've decided to get me some Nintendo playing cards, but I need some help from Japan GAF. A friend of mine is going to Japan and I want to ask him to bring back some of these nice items.

First of all, Hanafuda cards. I've been reading about a Mario themed set, but this was Club Nintendo only? So I guess it's not available in stores? If they are, what is the common price for it? If not, I'm going for the Napoleon set and I'd like to know what's the common price for that set.

Second, 'normal' playing cards. I've found this website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/chara_t_m/index.html?link=rss and was wondering if all those three sets are available in stores in Japan? Also, at what price.

I have a deck of Daitouryo (the President deck with Napoleon on the front) and the Mario themed Hanafuda cards. The mario ones were only through Club Nintendo.

You can get a President deck for about 2000 yen. They're high quality, and they're cheap! You can't go wrong.

I usually actually play with the President set, and leave the Mario set on my shelf.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
What exactly do you do with the Hanafuda cards? Are they used for a game or anything?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BorkBork said:
What exactly do you do with the Hanafuda cards? Are they used for a game or anything?

They're used to play Hanafuda. :p

I play Koi Koi (the most common game type) with friends and such (if you're curious how to play Koi Koi, it's in Clubhouse Games, and is actually a great way to learn the game)

colinp

Banned
Lots of used game shops in Japan have Club Nintendo goodies for sale. I found my hanafuda set from one but I don't remember how much I paid (not much, anyway!).

Next time I stop by I'll see if there are any other sets for sale though.

cnet128

Banned
Notorious_Roy said:

Those do look pretty awesome, but somehow I don't think it would feel right collecting DK, Wario and Paragoombas instead of the boar, deer and butterflies XD

(I ordered myself a more traditional Hanafuda set on eBay just a few days ago. I sincerely doubt I'll be able to find anyone to play it with, but it'll be cool to have them all the same...)

Chairhome

Pappasman said:
I NEED these playing cards.

mario03.jpg
These come in three sets. This is the retro one, then there's one set that is similar but drawn, then there's the rendered ones. I have the retro and drawn ones. They're pretty cool, but extremely flimsy (thin). They're cool to have, but I would probably never play with them.

They're available at ncsx.com and aren't too expensive

Zoc

Chairhome said:
These come in three sets. This is the retro one, then there's one set that is similar but drawn, then there's the rendered ones. I have the retro and drawn ones. They're pretty cool, but extremely flimsy (thin). They're cool to have, but I would probably never play with them.

They're available at ncsx.com and aren't too expensive

I thought Nintendo's cards were all made of thin films of plastic, instead of paper, and were quite durable despite their appearance? Do they feel like they're going to bend and break, or fall apart? How are they flimsy?

So, there they are. The Hanafuda cards and the 8-bit Mario playing cards (along with some other stuff they brought back for me <3 )

5191542789_72252140d9.jpg

I think I'll leave everything sealed, but haven't decided yet. The Hanafuda cards are small :lol

handofg0d said:
Okay... I found the site listing for these:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B003PDUQBM/

But how do I go about getting them shipped to me in the US? Is it just a straightforward checkout, or do I have to do some sort of proxy shipping service?
I'm in Holland and have bought from Amazon US, UK and DE and never had any problem. It should be easy.

Only things Amazon doesn't ship worldwide are stuff like PlayStation hard/software and that's because of restriction by the manufacturer. I don't think Nintendo doesn't want your money.

(although it sometimes looks that way when it comes to gamereleases in English :( )

Notorious_Roy said:

It's 800 points on Club Nintendo. I never played the actual game.

PetriP-TNT said:
Wow I can't believe Nintendo makes measly playing cards... videogames FTW

True that, I mean who the fuck needs Mahjong - stupid tiles and shit, right? Videogames FTW!

/sarcasm off

Please be less ignorant next time.

Jme

Notorious_Roy said:
I'm in Holland and have bought from Amazon US, UK and DE and never had any problem. It should be easy.

Only things Amazon doesn't ship worldwide are stuff like PlayStation hard/software and that's because of restriction by the manufacturer. I don't think Nintendo doesn't want your money.

(although it sometimes looks that way when it comes to gamereleases in English :( )

It seems they don't - from the page:

Shipping Weight: 118 g
Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan

So I was wondering if there's a way around that?

Bentendo

Nintendo's playing card history is very... interesting. For example, did you know that Nintendo produced a TON of playing cards featuring nude women on them? The History of Nintendo book you mentioned touches on this but if you do some research you wouldn't believe some of the things Nintendo put on their cards! :lol

Nintendo's list of clients was very large and consisted of big corporations including Coca Cola, Disney (obviously), Sony and more.

Nintendo started to produce Playing Guides around the time they brought Disney on board. Here are some images of the P.G.:

Playing_guide.jpg

Bambi_playing_guide.jpg

Disney_2.jpg

Another interesting card I found was one to promote Nintendo's Laser Clay Shooting system:

LCS_pc_as.jpg

One popular deck could be used as both Hanafuda cards and standard western playing cards:

HT_qc.jpg

If you research the internet you can find thousands upon thousands of images of Nintendo Playing Cards, toys and board games. Personally I've downloaded probably two thousand images.

-KRS-

Interesting stuff Bentendo. Someone should really do a page about the history of Nintendo Hanafuda cards with all the info compiled into a single page. Could be interesting.

Bentendo

synt4x said:
Interesting stuff Bentendo. Someone should really do a page about the history of Nintendo Hanafuda cards with all the info compiled into a single page. Could be interesting.

Thanks! I've done so many hours of research on Nintendo's pre-video game history. Right now I'm in the process of adding all of the images and information I've found to the Nintendo Wikia but it'll take several months if not years to do so.

handofg0d said:
It seems they don't - from the page:

So I was wondering if there's a way around that?
Hmm, that sucks. :( Then no, no way to work around that since they check the address. Maybe someone in Japan can buy them for you, or you can try Ebay?

Bentendo said:
Nintendo's playing card history is very... interesting. For example, did you know that Nintendo produced a TON of playing cards featuring nude women on them? The History of Nintendo book you mentioned touches on this but if you do some research you wouldn't believe some of the things Nintendo put on their cards! :lol
The book has more stuff that amazes me besides the cards: a cotton candy machine, a pram, instant rice... Seriously. Great stuff.

Top Bottom