• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gal Gadot's shameful paycheck for wonder woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Overreaction much? She will get more in the following movies, MUCH more. She was an unknown, she is now a runaway success and her bank roll will definitely show sooner rather than later. This isn't about gender discrimination or male/female wage gaps, no matter how much you want it to be.

This is pretty normal isn't it?

You can't base someone wage on the success of the movie. Contracts would have been signed years ago.

dl77

I remember an interview with Robert Carlyle when The World is Not Enough came out and the interviewer was saying that he must have been really well paid on such a big film. To paraphrase his reply "You must be joking, being in a Bond film is the paycheck!"

Until the film's a proven box office winner they're not going to give a (fairly) unknown lead a huge salary. Part of the benefit of these titles is the exposure being in a tentpole release brings. For something comparable, look at Jennifer Lawrence. She got around $1m for the first Hunger Games film and about $30m for the two part finale. Compare her career before that and afterwards and you can clearly see the benefit from taking these roles.

Once it's a proven success the salary goes up significantly.

Bit of a non-story to be honest.

Theorry

Thread backfire?

SmartPolishedDrake.gif

dl77

Let's be honest, if it wasn't a big film this wouldn't even be a "You won't believe how much........." article.

Just because it's an expensive film that doesn't mean an actors salary goes up according to budget. When she signed up for the character she was pretty much only known as a bit part character in a film series that was yet to become it's current behemoth. $300,000 and the lead in one of the biggest release of the year would be a huge deal to anyone in that position, man or woman.

Domestic Box office drops for the first two weekends after Wonder Woman's debut weekend:

Saturday, June 10th: -31.9% compared to first Saturday
Saturday, June 17th: -35.1% compared to the Saturday before

Sunday, June 11th: -36.8% compared to first Sunday
Sunday, June 18th: -21.8% compared to the Sunday before

Those drops seem pretty Goddamn small, so I'm venturing that this movie is gonna have some damn good legs and make significantly more money before it fizzles out in theatres. Gal Gadot definitely deserves a retroactive pay raise from a percentage of the box office monies AND DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital sale AND merchandise sales.

The fact that this movie probably stands (100% chance) at more than $575 million after Monday's ticket sales have been tallied after just slightly more than two weeks should crush any doubts that people may have about movies with a female super hero as the lead not making money. Sure, it helps that the movie is fantastic, but it should still definitely help pave the way for more strong female leads in super hero movies.

In conclusion, Gal Gadot is being seriously underpaid and deserves a HUGE retroactive pay raise despite the fact that she isn't nearly the biggest name around. She made Wonder Woman come to life in a fantastic way and deserves dat extra giant pile of dosh post haste.

This

RDJ for IM1? 500k

Chris Evans? 300k

Chris Hemsworth? 200k

Gal Gadot? 300k

Notice that trend? RDJ then proceeded to make 10mil for IM2, and became the world's highest paid actor after Avengers.

List for Avengers 2 Salaries.

Robert Downey Jr. - $40 million
Scarlett Johansson - $20 million
Chris Evans - $6.9 million
Jeremy Renner - $6.1 million
Chris Hemsworth - $5.4 million
Mark Ruffalo - $2.8 million

Scarlet made something like min(200-400k for IM2), now 20mil. But noting the others, each had a pretty drastic increase from their first, some 20-30x the amount. Gal will most likely be taking home 5+million with the next one. Probably more because she is the first thing loved in the DCEU.

Superhero movies have been working like this for a while. They start you low. The ones who don't, seem to be actors already established ala Affleck. Once you are established as that character(First movie is a hit), you get knocked up pretty quick. Why? Because a comic book film in either of the major studios is just that now. They are the big deal. They will make you a star. Marvel had one fumble so far with Hulk. Everyone else is in contracts for the next 10 years basically.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Domestic Box office drops for the first two weekends after Wonder Woman's debut weekend:

Those drops seem pretty Goddamn small, so I'm venturing that this movie is gonna have some damn good legs and make significantly more money before it fizzles out in theatres. Gal Gadot definitely deserves a retroactive pay raise from a percentage of the box office monies AND DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital sale AND merchandise sales.

The fact that this movie probably stands (100% chance) at more than $575 million after Monday's ticket sales have been tallied after just slightly more than two weeks should crush any doubts that people may have about movies with a female super hero as the lead not making money. Sure, it helps that the movie is fantastic, but it should still definitely help pave the way for more strong female leads in super hero movies.

In conclusion, Gal Gadot is being seriously underpaid and deserves a HUGE retroactive pay raise despite the fact that she isn't nearly the biggest name around. She made Wonder Woman come to life in a fantastic way and deserves dat extra giant pile of dosh post haste.
That is not how contracts work, but because of this she will be in a damn good position to get a huge paycheck when they renew her contract for more movies.

Shhhh....

That made me Gigli...I mean giggle.

ClosingADoor: I know, and it's unfortunate that it won't happen for the first WW, and sure she'll get the big monies in future titles, but damn does she ever deserve it right now.

Part of the reason I said all that, is because I thought the movie was going to be mediocre at best, but it blew me away and vastly exceeded my expectations.

I mean, Ben is kind of a bigger name, like a lot bigger. Better to compare her to an "unknown" male superhero actor.

According to the internet Batfleck already has about 52 movies under his belt while Gadot has about 14, She'll get a better contract that gives her more power and money come Wonder Woman 2. This is about who's the bigger box office and who's a bigger name draw rather than sexism.

Theorry

They usually get a bonus based on box office results. Thats why Cavill in the end got alot of money also.

Sucks but she had 0 street cred when she signed the movie.
Im sure shell make a lot better from here on

But they should pay her a small percentage of the profits as goodwill

george_us

I mean, Ben is kind of a bigger name, like a lot bigger. Better to compare her to an "unknown" male superhero actor.
Like Henry Cavil getting $18 million for Man of Steel if that's true. I had never even heard of Cavil until MoS. Dude must have an amazing agent.

Edit: Okay apparently this never happened. Good.

Addi

Says alot about that old myth "You need star power for a big blockbuster"

First it was genres that pulled people (Western, Crime, Musical etc.), then it was the stars (they practically became genres themselves "let's go see an Arnold movie or a De Niro movie or a Will Smith movie"), but now it's franchises.

diunxx

Lol I wish I had that money for a couple of months work, you guys are making it sound like she got paid the same as an extra or some shit, she was D-list at best when she signed this contract, I'm sure a tad bit more on the next one.

dl77

Yup. Think he got about $1.5m salary and a percentage. Plus he'd already been the lead in a couple of films. Plus Superman was a known quantity on film so the two aren't really comparable.

ISOM

This

RDJ for IM1? 500k

Chris Evans? 300k

Chris Hemsworth? 200k

Gal Gadot? 300k

Notice that trend? RDJ then proceeded to make 10mil for IM2, and became the world's highest paid actor after Avengers.

Scarlet made something like min(200-400k for IM2), now 20mil. But noting the others, each had a pretty drastic increase from their first, some 20-30x the amount. Gal will most likely be taking home 5+million with the next one. Probably more because she is the first thing loved in the DCEU.

Superhero movies have been working like this for a while. They start you low. The ones who don't, seem to be actors already established ala Affleck. Once you are established as that character(First movie is a hit), you get knocked up pretty quick. Why? Because a comic book film in either of the major studios is just that now. They are the big deal. They will make you a star. Marvel had one fumble so far with Hulk. Everyone else is in contracts for the next 10 years basically.

Seems like basic research that could have been done before creating this article and thread.

300k for an unproven actress is absolutely fine. For example John Boyega and Daisy Ridley were paid in the low-six-figure range ($100k-$300k) as well.
The article is pure clickbait.

I believe RDJ was paid $500,000 for the first Iron Man and now he's been one of Hollywoods highest paid actors since.

Jennifer Lawrence also had to fight for equal pay to Chris Pratt in Passengers if I recall, which is absurd, considering she has a been a bigger star than Pratt for awhile and she has an Oscar.

I'm curious how much she is going to make with Justice League? Probably not a significant increase, but WW2 should be a huge jump for her.

This

RDJ for IM1? 500k

Chris Evans? 300k

Chris Hemsworth? 200k

Gal Gadot? 300k

Man what a waste of money for Jeremy Renner. He might as well have not been in the movies.

dl77

Although she's unknown she deserved better pay than that.

Why though? As good as she may be in the film no-one outside the Gadot family went to see Wonder Woman because it stars Gal Gadot. As an unknown she was paid a fair rate to star in a film. The studio aren't going to give her $10m dollars just because it's an expensive production! As with any job you earn your increase in salary.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This

RDJ for IM1? 500k

Chris Evans? 300k

Chris Hemsworth? 200k

Gal Gadot? 300k

^

Her contract was signed and this amount determined before WW became a breakaway success. This scenario is totally in line with MCU leads like Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth, both of whom had existing careers leading up to Captain America and Thor respectively, but were not box office draws. RDJ's Iron Man 1 payday is a laugh riot in hindsight, and he was infinitely more established in Hollywood than Gal Gadot, but, again, not viewed as a box office draw for the film on his own. If the IP and/or the creative team is the vehicle, and you're functionally interchangeable, it doesn't matter how big the budget is; you're probably taking home something like that $200k-$500k payday and not getting points.

Regardless of how many films you signed on for beforehand, though, you have far, far more leverage as soon as you demonstrate your value. Now Gal Gadot is the face of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman's stock has soared in the DCEU, and she'll get millions for the next one. The $300k is not her real payday for Wonder Woman's box office receipts. The handshake on the next one is.

dl77

Jennifer Lawrence also had to fight for equal pay to Chris Pratt in Passengers if I recall, which is absurd, considering she has a been a bigger star than Pratt for awhile and she has an Oscar.

My understanding is the opposite. He got a flat $12m salary and she got $20m + 30% of any profit once the film broke even.

FyreWulff

Iron Man is a little weird since RDJ was seen as a massive liability on the verge of relapse, so he had to take a massive paycut to even get the part, and wasn't even the top billed actor even though he was playing the title character, lol

Forgive me, I'm having trouble feeling sympathy for a woman who makes 10 times the average person's yearly salary in a few months of work.

dl77

Iron Man is a little weird since RDJ was seen as a massive liability on the verge of relapse, so he had to take a massive paycut to even get the part, and wasn't even the top billed actor even though he was playing the title character, lol

Yup. That's why they got rid of Terrence Howard. He wouldn't take a pay cut for the second movie as RDJ's salary had gone up so they replaced him with Don Cheadle. TBH I still that was a pretty shitty thing for Marvel to do when they'd signed the contract.

LosDaddie

Banned
Doesn't sound bad for a completely unproven actor in a important (well important to the studio) leading role, every actor that plays a comic book character isn't going to earn Downey JR money.

You can start with the gender pay gap "drama" all you want if you all find out that Chris Pine got paid three times as much.

EDIT: Also if this movie was shit none of this would have been reported... funny that.

Overreaction much? She will get more in the following movies, MUCH more. She was an unknown, she is now a runaway success and her bank roll will definitely show sooner rather than later. This isn't about gender discrimination or male/female wage gaps, no matter how much you want it to be.

Nailed it.

This is a non-story.

At first glance I was shocked and then I realized that she's actually a relative nobody compared to Ben fucking Affleck.

What matters is her checks going forward.

Ravelle

Shhhh....

She's not entirely new, she was in a couple of Fast & Furious movies.

Also movie paychecks are weird, it's shameful compared to the rest of stars but it's a massive amount compared to any other work.

What determines how much what person gets? Why do different actors get a different pay? And why do they get paid millions?

There's also actors that just demand more and get more. Robert Downy Jr was not happy with the amount of millions he got and wanted more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom