• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Wintory Tweets Dan Licht (Dishonored Composer) Has Passed Away

Pixieking

Banned
Austin Wintory‏Verified account @awintory

Shocked to hear of the death of friend / colleague Dan Licht. What a genuinely kind man he was, and great musician:

https://twitter.com/awintory/status/893303003075276800

Can't find any more confirmation beyond Austin's tweet, but given he's a friend and colleague of Licht, I can't see it being unfounded speculation/rumour.

Licht's wiki page is rather bare, so here's a link to his IMDB page:

Daniel Licht At IMDB

Assuming it's true, very sad news.

Marcel

Wow, I didn't realize what a journeyman composer he was before he did video games. RIP. Dishonored 1 and 2 have some excellent tunes.

NeatoKuni

Dishonored has such a wonderful soundtrack. I carry my dishonored lanyard everywhere as a keychain, he'll be missed. I'll play some of it tonight in his honor.

Anung

Un Rama
RIP. Loved his work on Dishonored and being brought in to follow Yamaoka on Silent Hill was daunting but he put in a damn good turn.

CHC

Man that's awful. Dishonored had a really (dare I say) iconic sound to it. The main menu music in Dishonored II especially, amazing stuff.

Sad news.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, that sucks. He did Dexter too? It's one of the rare shows where I found the soundtrack to be actually memorable. Dude was talented. :( RIP

I've never looked at his IMDB page before, and I'm really impressed that he didn't make video game music until like 30 years into his career and he still nailed it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I was a huge fan of Dishonored 1 and 2's music. The music added so much to the games. He was an extremely talented man.

Rest in peace.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow, that's awful.

His music in Dishonored was remarkable and one of a kind.

Rest in peace, good sir.

zarmena

This one really hit me, especially since I recently finished Dishonored 2 and enjoyed sitting on the main menu page to listen to that theme. Dan Licht and the late Heavy Rain composer, Normand Corbeil, were both great. Hope both rest in peace.

Just the other day I was listening to the Dexter OSTs and I noticed that the music sounded closely familiar to a game I had played quite a lot, which was Dishonored but it didn't click right away. Can't believe it took today of all days to find out it was the same composer :(

His work on Silent Hill Downpour was phenomenal, by far the best part of that entire project.

Edit: Highly recommend listening to his work. We just lost one of the greats of composing.

Oh no, he did Dexter too. The soundtrack was the only consistently good thing about that show even when it was heading for the gutter season 5 onward.

RIP

Oh, no :(. Rest in Peace, Mr. Licht. His work on Silent Hill Downpour was great. Never played the Dishonored games, but I didn't know he did the OSTs for those. More reason to give them a shot.

The intro and credits scene for Dexter were really good, too.

SomTervo

Fuck this. Literally just finished all the Daud DLC and the music was phenomenal throughout. Dishonored 2 was my GotY last year.

All the best to his family. What a great talent.

Very sad to hear that. If I knew at some point that he scored Dishonored then I completely forgot about it, but I was always fond of his work on Silent Hill: Downpour. There is some really good music in that game.

R.I.P.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Was just listening to the DH2 soundtrack last night... :(

What a sad loss. Rest in peace, Dan, and thoughts are with his friends and family.

Top Bottom