• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLO THERE: Obi-Wan Kenobi film (finally) in the works

star_wars-_episode_iii_revenge_of_the_sith_still_and_stephen_daldry_-_inset_-_getty_-_h_2017.jpg

Via the Hollywood Reporter

dir: Stephen Daldry (possibly)

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars' new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

Davide

8yXo0.gif

I'm excited but feels like a needless story to be told.

And should have gone with the director of Logan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
YASSSS QUEEN!

Three good things in the trilogy story:

Darth Maul, Emperor Palpatine. And Obi Wan, who acted everyone else off the screen. Except McDiarmid.

shandy706

So, obviously, this would have to fall between Episode III and IV right?

I mean, if they went young Obi Wan (really young), then you couldn't use Ewan.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, I'm actually surprised this is early and hasn't been in the works for forever.
For the record, Ewan McGregor hasn't agreed to this yet.

There's no way he refuses that big ass paycheck. He also likes being Obi-Wan, I believe.

adj_noun

Next they should do Yoda: the Crazy Years. Slowly losing his mind on Dagobah. Teaching rocks the alphabet. Singing softly to stumps. That kind of thing.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm so thrilled about this.

I'm completely confident they'll ask Ewan back. He's an A-List actor with a huge following and a positive, proven relationship with the studios involved. Plus, he's publically expressed his enthusiasm to return for a potential spin-off for ages now.

He'll be back. There's absolutely no reason for him not to be.

Vanille

I still don't understand why this wasn't the first spin-off that Disney put into production. It makes so much sense.

So as I was saying in the other thread...

This is an even more disappointing director's choice than Trevorrow.

Really? Daldry worse than Trevorrow?

That's kinda surprising to hear. I like Daldry. I mean, I'm not like a huge fan or anything but he's certainly not a director you'd expect to be assigned a Star Wars film, which makes me pretty interested in what he would do.

(Especially considering I think at one point LFL was considering Zack Snyder for something along these lines, so hey.)

Why the dislike for Daldry?

And to think I thought there would be some creativity to these Star Wars films and not Disney just churning out "things we know". Yawn...

Edit: and Daldry... Nope. I'm out.

Really? Daldry worse than Trevorrow?

That's kinda surprising to hear. I like Daldry. I mean, I'm not like a huge fan or anything but he's certainly not a director you'd expect to be assigned a Star Wars film, which makes me pretty interested in what he would do.

(Especially considering I think at one point LFL was considering Zack Snyder for something along these lines, so hey.)

Why the dislike for Daldry?

I liked his work on The Crown. *shrug*

Top Bottom