• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 9 Bitcoins, should I sell?

Kyzer

Banned
I'd sell. China has completely outlawed it and the rising potential of other governments stepping in and regulating and therefore causing crashes are increasing over time, not to mention the possibility of a different, more modern crypto currency eating bc's lunch. Then again that random spoke to 5k happened so who knows

How much did you buy the bitcoins at?

Prices I paid ranged from £1960 to £2300 per bitcoin.

I made a stupid mistake not buying more during the last big dip, but I thought there was room for it to fall lower but then it kept rising with occasional dips but none below £2000.

JWiLL

Banned
Wow...didn't see the markets today. Those 9 Bitcoins are worth just shy of $60k in Canada.

I can't believe I knew about Bitcoin when it was less than 10 USD and never just bought a few for the fuck of it. I probably ended up spending that money on beer.

FML.

Faiz

Wow...didn't see the markets today. Those 9 Bitcoins are worth just shy of $60k in Canada.

I can't believe I knew about Bitcoin when it was less than 10 USD and never just bought a few for the fuck of it. I probably ended up spending that money on beer.

FML.

I can remember very clearly thinking I should just throw $100 at bitcoin when it was in its infancy just to see.

I wouldn't be worried about my kid's school bills right now, that's for sure :/.

I'm going to transfer 3 to my Coinbase account and see what the sell price is after the confirmations are completed.

Does anyone know if Ethereum is a good investment?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am pretty sure the correct response is to hodl.

That's like $75,000.

I would literally kill someone for that kind of money.

Uh, 9 * $5,000 is $45,000. I'm guessing you must not realize what the current exchange rate between GBP and USD is

I'm going to transfer 3 to my Coinbase account and see what the sell price is after the confirmations are completed.

Does anyone know if Ethereum is a good investment?

I really don't know, I am pretty sure the major determining factor of any CryptoCurrency is still how many black markets accept it. I put my money on LiteCoin, but its pretty risky.

I can't believe I knew about Bitcoin when it was less than 10 USD and never just bought a few for the fuck of it.

I can remember very clearly thinking I should just throw $100 at bitcoin when it was in its infancy just to see.

Same. But at that point my ex-wife had too much control over finances, so I decided not to bother.
On one hand, half of it would have been gone in the divorce.
On the other hand, $$$$

I'd say sell.

I remember when you couldn't buy a Pizza with 50 bitcoins, let alone 9.

The fact that those 9 can now buy you a car is pretty cool, but who knows where it's gonna end up.

But then again, I'm risk averse so I have 0 BTC while you have 9, so you're doing something right.

I really don't know, I am pretty sure the major determining factor of any CryptoCurrency is still how many black markets accept it. I put my money on LiteCoin, but its pretty risky.

What are your returns like, if you don't mind my asking?

If you sold the bitcoins, would you need to pay some sort of tax on that income?

I believe so, but there is an option to receive payment in Euros, which might allow for a tax loophole. I'm uncertain of this though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you sold the bitcoins, would you need to pay some sort of tax on that income?
I believe yes, but it depends on local law. If I recall correctly, in the US Cryptocurrency is considered a commodity for taxation purposes, so profits from selling Bitcoin would be considered Capital Gains. And you can't exactly deposit $45k into a bank account with the bank reporting the transaction.

louiedog

I'd say sell.

I remember when you couldn't buy a Pizza with 50 bitcoins, let alone 9.

The fact that those 9 can now buy you a car is pretty cool, but who knows where it's gonna end up.

But then again, I'm risk averse so I have 0 BTC while you have 9, so you're doing something right.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a story about a tech journalist who bought like $25 worth at the beginning so he could understand them for a story he was writing. He then sold them for like $800k and bought an apartment. That was when they were worth like $2k each. He did really well, but I wonder if he's annoyed he didn't keep them.

blackflag

I'd sell.

Bitcoin is digital commodity and there's huge players in the game, and they're pumping and dumping the market to cash out their long term holdings. You should to.

Especially if you bought in cheap years ago.

Exactly. It's too volatile and easily manipulated.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You'd be crazy to sell but that's just me. There is no reason at all to think that this will be as high as BTC gets.

Would it make sense to invest into bitcoins right now?

Or has the ship long gone?

Most crypto investors will tell you that the whole crypto industry is just starting out. It's still the beginning, so it's certainly not too late. You don't have to pay $5000 for 1 BTC in order to invest in crypto.

jediyoshi

"GAF, I have access to $45,000. Wat do?"

LyW2nXy.png

louiedog

Would it make sense to invest into bitcoins right now?

Or has the ship long gone?

The trend seems to be peak at a new high, dip down a bit slowly, then start rising up again toward a new high. You might be able to get them 20% cheaper in 2 weeks. I don't think I'd buy them right as they hit a new high like they are today but it's hard to say what exactly will happen.

I'll give you $1/bitcoin OP. In all seriousness if you are in need of money you could sell it now if you want. However if you are still good on money I would wait and see if you can get a better deal later on down the line.

Top Bottom