• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Weighs In On What Games Are Selling And/Or Pre-Ordering Well

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Feel free to resume the MvC3 versus Mortal Kombat sales speculation debate.

IndustryGamers said:
On the earnings call following GameStop's fiscal report, the retailer has highlighted which software has been performing well overall. The clear leader was Pokemon, which is hardly surprising given how insanely popular the franchise remains.

And despite the initial blowback from investors on Homefront, GameStop confirmed THQ's statement about the game doing fairly well so far.

"Pokemon Black and White were extremely strong for us. Dragon Age II and Homefront were strong as well," said GameStop's Tony Bartel. "We're obviously very excited about Nintendo 3DS - Super Street Fighter IV, The Sims, Nintendogs+Cats are all going to be very strong titles. Mortal Kombat we're seeing very strong reservations for. SOCOM IV, Portal 2 and then LA Noire we're also seeing very strong reservations for. So that gives you a good update on what we're seeing for the second quarter."
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...front-and-dragon-age-ii-strong-says-gamestop/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
FleaTheMagician said:
I'm surprised to see Sims for 3ds mentioned. I pre ordered it (and received it already), but I don't know anyone else who did.
Well it's not like there's much else mom can go in and safely buy as a gift.

No animal crossing. Pilotwings isn't well known. I'd say Monkey Ball and Sims will be the big 'gift for someone' winners.

Effect

The Sims 3DS is an example of a game selling on pure name brand alone as nothing of it has really been shown. EA no doubt counted on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's traded in at high numbers quickly after launch.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
_dementia said:
MK is going to be pretty massive I think.
not sure about massive... but probably at least 600K in the first month across both platforms is reasonable... well wait... I suppose compared to sales of the most recent MK titles that's massive....

pokemon I'm guessing these two will beat out Diamond/Pearl pretty easily. probably among the top selling gen of Pokemon games.

Effect said:
The Sims 3DS is an example of a game selling on pure name brand alone as nothing of it has really been shown. EA no doubt counted on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's traded in at high numbers quickly after launch.
Huge frame rate hits in their trailer? Not a good sign. :lol

Compound that with the possibility of the same game breaking glitches of the console version and I'd say Sims 3 is probably the worst 3DS launch title.

borghe said:
not sure about massive... but probably at least 600K in the first month across both platforms is reasonable... well wait... I suppose compared to sales of the most recent MK titles that's massive....

So you expect MK to debut in the US with lower numbers than SF4 or MvC3?

I will go on record saying I bought Sims 3 because it was a Sims game and I like them, but I know NOTHING about this version and never even saw a screenshot until I looked at the back of the box when it came in the mail.

SolidSnakex said:
I think it will be below MvC3. That game had a ton of hype, more so I would argue than MK, especially among those types who would run out and buy a game at launch. In the long run, I think MK would outsell it, but not in the first month is my guess.

borghe

SolidSnakex said:
yeah, I do... the series IMHO as lost all good will amongst gamers. If they can get a 360 demo out before launch that will probably help numbers considerably... but the first month will probably be lower IMHO. However the drop off won't be bad for the game and if it's as good as it's looking, word of mouth should carry it in the top 20 for some months.

I am just talking about launch month. My guess is it should do 1-1.5M pretty definitely in the US across both. But it's going to be driven by word of mouth.

GitarooMan said:
I think it will be below MvC3. That game had a ton of hype, more so I would argue than MK, especially among those types who would run out and buy a game at launch. In the long run, I think MK would outsell it, but not in the first month is my guess.
exactly. gamers simply don't have faith in the brand right now. it's going to take some months for people to be won back over (again, provided the quality is as high as it seems based on the PS3 demo). Like I said though, a 360 demo would probably help considerably. MS is looking REALLY foolish at this point for not propping the game up like Sony. If MS put the same backing behind it that Sony has, I would have definitely said 700-1000K. as it is, I am guessing that PS3 sales will be skewed much higher than your normal multi-plat title because of Kratos and the exclusive demo.

fernoca

SolidSnakex said:
Missed the previous NPD thread? Basically, yeah and he's not the only one. :p

Sales wise, I'll just wait and see. The series always sold great even on times were GAF seemed to ignore it, now there's more hype so we'll see.

DaBuddaDa said:
Brink sadly will be DOA.
I think so on consoles it will be. PC version should do much better.

zoner said:
MOH and Homefront did alright.
Those are also Military DudeBro shooters and with MOH it had an established brand name. Bethesda really needs to get more media and especially a demo out for Brink for it to sell anywhere near as well as either MOH or Homefront.

shuri

Banned
borghe said:
Each current gen mk has sold more than 2 millions units each..

borghe

shuri said:
Each current gen mk has sold more than 2 millions units each..
each? what current MK game has their been aside from MK vs. DCU (which I promise sold more on DCU than MK). also provided you are talking about DCU, did it sell 2M in the US (what we are talking about here) or worldwide?

Calcaneus

Can you really use pre-orders to speculate on gamers interest, when publishers are trying to force pre-orders with bonuses and unlocks?

Alucrid

Banned
I think MK will do really well based on the fact that they're going to 2.5D instead of 3D environments. Plus I have a feeling that the nostalgia factor on this one will be huge.

Alucrid said:
I think MK will do really well based on the fact that they're going to 2.5D instead of 3D environments. Plus I have a feeling that the nostalgia factor on this one will be huge.

Throw in the fact that it has a demo that's only fueled the hype more because it's actually really good. That's something that many other big fighters didn't have. It's also going to have a huge marketing campaign that's already sort of started with Gamestop making multiple ads for it.

borghe

SolidSnakex said:
Throw in the fact that it has a demo that's only fueled the hype more because it's actually really good. That's something that many other big fighters didn't have. It's also going to have a huge marketing campaign that's already sort of started with Gamestop making multiple ads for it.
demo is only on PS3, which as we know typically sells a bit less than the 360 version. Unless the 360 demo hits in the next two weeks I don't see it having a huge impact on launch sales.

fernoca

borghe said:
each? what current MK game has their been aside from MK vs. DCU (which I promise sold more on DCU than MK). also provided you are talking about DCU, did it sell 2M in the US (what we are talking about here) or worldwide?
I think shuri meant "overall" since there's only one current-gen MK game.
Mk vs DC Universe is at around 1.5 million in US, 2.5 million worldwide....as of last year; and it didn't sold on the DC Universe alone. Heck if anything that made it sell less. Since the prior-gen MK games sold more.

Heck even the spinoffs like Mythologies and Shaolin Monks did around a million in the US alone (over 850k for Mythologies more than a decade ago in the US, were Trilogy was at 1.5 million in the PSone version only)

borghe said:
Really? Really?

borghe

BlazingDarkness said:
Really? Really?
what I meant to say (sorry) is that it probably sold extra copies on the DCU name.

fernoca - nah, it probably sold more on DCU, not less.. and that's the concerning part with the franchise... it really is a constant decline for years now. hence most of our expectations on this one, upon initial release at least.

borghe said:
demo is only on PS3, which as we know typically sells a bit less than the 360 version. Unless the 360 demo hits in the next two weeks I don't see it having a huge impact on launch sales.

The 360 demo is rumored to be hitting in early April. As far as sales on the PS3 go, fighting games are one genre where sales on both platforms are extremely close.

I think that you're really underestimating how many people care about MK. Especially those that like the series but have wanted it to go back to 2D and specifically to how it was with the original 3 games. I'm one of those people. I haven't bought a MK game since UMK3.

Patryn

I worry that the Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition will encourage publishers to get pre-orders on subpar games early enough that gamers won't be able to fully vet exactly how something is going to turn out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Patryn said:
I worry that the Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition will encourage publishers to get pre-orders on subpar games early enough that gamers won't be able to fully vet exactly how something is going to turn out.
Oh it's not that much different than preorder bonuses, beta codes, embargos, etc.

I've just stopped buying games day one, outside of special cases like Yakuza. Too much shadiness in the business now.

Gravijah

borghe said:
what I meant to say (sorry) is that it probably sold extra copies on the DCU name.

fernoca - nah, it probably sold more on DCU, not less.. and that's the concerning part with the franchise... it really is a constant decline for years now. hence most of our expectations on this one, upon initial release at least.

Are you saying that the games sales were influenced more by DC than MK or are you saying that the DC universe helped increase sales?

The Gamestops near me have had massive signage for Mortal Kombat for the last week or two, at least. The entire front window. It looks like a Mortal Kombat theme store right now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zoner said:
MOH and Homefront did alright.

and if they don't put out a demo they've got no one to blame but themselves
Those titles managed to generate hype around the singleplayer campaigns. Brink won't have that luxury. The single player and the multiplayer are one and the same, gameplay-wise.

fernoca

Riposte said:
No mention of Yakuza 4, teehee.
I did my part on Best Buy, for $40. Others did in Kmart along the free Yakuza 3 and $10 deal. :p
Riposte said:
MK will probably outsell MvC, despite the latter being a better game.
Keep in mind that your better game, doesn't make it the better game. The games may be on The same genre, but are targeting different people. Just like not everyone that likes FPS may like Crysis 2 and swear that Halo is better; or vice versa. :p

Top Bottom