• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Comic Book Day: May 7th 2011 aka this Saturday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
save-the-date-250x250.jpg

Free Comic Book Day Website!

What is Free Comic Book Day?

Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores. (*Check with your local shop for their participation and rules.)

Need More Info?

Free Comic Book Day Promo Video on Youtube!

When is Free Comic Book Day?

Free Comic Book Day is always the 1st Saturday in May. This year it happens to fall on May 7th! It also happens to be the 10th Anniversary! YAY Congrats FCBD!

So who exactly sponsors this shindig?

The Sponsor List which includes the usual cast of your Marvels, DCs, Images, Dark Horses etc...!

sponsor_sdcc2011.gif

Is this really well real?

Sure it might sound fantastical, but yeah it's the real deal. Granted it'll vary on what shops give out, and how many they are willing to give per person. Plus not all shops are involved, but that's why there is a store locator on the website!

What exactly am I gonna get?

Click Here to look at the list of comics being given out!

Am I gonna get the usual not in the USA shaft?

You might, but that could happen in America too. Thankfully this is a world wide effort. Shops in Canada and around the Globe who want to participate can! Just check around at your local comic shops and see if they know about it!

Should I really care?

Sure the comic list might not be huge, but it's a good time for all cause you know it IS free. Plus even if your not into comics or have fallen out, it's a good time to get back in even casually. Just think of it as a good reason to go visit and poke around your local comic book shop. You never know what you might find that'll interest you. Plus who knows what else might be going on there.

dcheroes.gif

As the people who set this day up have said, it's a day not to just celebrate comics, but to also celebrate all the independent comic books shops throughout the world! Oh yeah and you might meet some fellow gaf nerds or other nerds in the process! :D

Hugh Jackman Says Yes to Free Comic Book Day!
Hugh Jackman Free Comic Book Day Youtube Video!!

Get Your Social Media On!
Free Comic Book Day @Twitter!
Free Comic Book Day @Facebook!
Free Comic Book Day @Flickr!

Other Things of Note!

Store Locator!
Get Into Comics!
Special Creator Signings on Free Comic Book Day!

will the gold comic be worth more than the silver comic if I save them? I dont give a fuck about comics, just tryna get cake

Double D

bafflewaffle said:
will the gold comic be worth more than the silver comic if I save them? I dont give a fuck about comics, just tryna get cake

It's typically just punch and pie. If you aren't into comics I recommend you just skip the middle man and go right to a bakery.

Priz

Looks like they have an app for iPhone/iPad this year...

I only read a handful of series so I'm not fully up on this - what's the difference between Gold and Silver comics? Does every store participating get all the Gold but only select silver ones? Do they get larger quantities of Gold ones to give out? Is Gold just the more well known publishers?

bluemax

Banned
I went into my local comics store once on free comic day and it was all little kids getting books. I didn't ask for anything because it just felt wrong. I was glad that they got a lot of people in the store though.

Vanillalite

bluemax said:
I went into my local comics store once on free comic day and it was all little kids getting books. I didn't ask for anything because it just felt wrong. I was glad that they got a lot of people in the store though.
Mixed crowd at my store though there were a lot of kids. Still nice to see young kids getting into the medium. Need to pass it on to the next generation!

vid

bluemax said:

We had people of all ages coming into my shop last year in search of free comics. Most of them were really nice about it, especially the kids... but I remember one father who tried to take five or six copies of each book we had. When we politely asked him to just take one of each for each of his two children and himself, he threw the stack down and stormed out of the store announcing "THAT ISN'T WHAT 'FREE' MEANS" and how we had ruined it for the kids.

Honestly, they just looked embarrassed to be attached to this raving man. It made me sad that those kids didn't even get to take the comics they wanted... it was an all or nothing deal for Dad.

vid said:
We had people of all ages coming into my shop last year in search of free comics. Most of them were really nice about it, especially the kids... but I remember one father who tried to take five or six copies of each book we had. When we politely asked him to just take one of each for each of his two children and himself, he threw the stack down and stormed out of the store announcing "THAT ISN'T WHAT 'FREE' MEANS" and how we had ruined it for the kids.

Honestly, they just looked embarrassed to be attached to this raving man. It made me sad that those kids didn't even get to take the comics they wanted... it was an all or nothing deal for Dad.

F@ck that guy he was a retard.

The best we can hope for is his kids don't grow up to be stupids too.

Most every shop here has a 1 copy of title per customer policy on FCBD.

Though I have to wonder is this publicity stunt helping shops gain new customers all these years in, or is it just a money sink?

As much as I enjoy the medium it just seems like the readership keeps aging and the Big Two just keep crapping out the same sh*t, be it reboot or not. :\

Comics Alliance offered up their opinions of the best, worst and weirdest comics being offered this year at FCBD 2011.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/05/free-comic-book-day-2011-fcbd/

THE reason I'm showing up on Saturday:

IXBvi.jpg

Captain America and Thor: the Mighty Fighting Avengers, from Marvel Comics

I know I just said that Atomic Robo was this year's best FCBD story, but man, Marvel's offering is a close second. Created by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee -- the same team that brought you the sadly canceled Thor: The Mighty Avenger, for which this is more or less the lost 9th issue -- this one manages to tie into both of Marvel's summer movie offerings and still stand on its own as a great all ages story with a tale of how Captain America and Thor teamed up with King Arthur to stop Loki from stealing the Holy Grail.

I'm going to go ahead and go through that one more time, just so we're all on the same page here: This is a comic book where Captain America and Thor team up with King Arthur to stop Loki from stealing the Holy Grail. And it's free.

The only downside is that if you're like me, it brings back the sting of Thor: TMA getting canceled with a reminder of just how great that book was. At the same time, though, it's the perfect stepping stone for kids coming out of the Thor movie wanting to read more that could lead them right into the two TMA trades and the aforementioned Brian Clevinger's brilliant Captain America: The Fighting Avenger one-shot. It's a nice piece of marketing on Marvel's part that's also a genuinely great story in its own right, and again: That's what FCBD is all about.

Vanillalite

I'm going for the Ultimate Comics: Spiderman thing, but I bet they don't have any when I get there. lol

Rlan

Nobody probably cared, but I really like this one this year:

Archie_FCBD11_Sonic.jpg

Essentially they've taken the chance that FCBD allows to basically remake one of the worst Sonic stories ever written and arted. The last of the "Sonic Super Specials" (48 page bulk issues released every 4 months) had a shoddy story drawn by "Many Hands", basically a handle for someone who didn't actually want to be named. Half the story was set in a "blizzard" and a "dark cave", meaning all you saw were some snowflakes and poorly drawn versions of Sonic's eyes:

07.jpg

This apparently fixes the story a whole lot, makes it actually contain art etc. Cool idea for the FCBD stuff :)

Vanillalite

That seems cool, but IDK... Been burned to many time with Sonic... You known it's bad when you won't even take free Sonic!

Sanjuro

Heading to a few shops today, have a few missing Batman issues to collect to move onward.

Are there any new interesting series just starting or great story arcs? Don't have a ton of money but haven't been reading nearly as much as I would have liked to lately.

Vanillalite

Nothing really huge right now on either the Marvel or the DC side of things.

I'd recommend Chew if you haven't read that yet though!

Got nine comics today. I'll read them eventually

One of the comic book stores I went to had a Magic: The Gathering tournament going on (still taking place probably). Way too nerdy for my taste

Slime

Banned
Only things I bothered to pick up were the Baltmore/Criminal Macabre thing from Dark Horse and the Green Lantern Heroclix thing. Not into any of that Heroclix stuff, but it was there, so yeah.

Also picked up my comics for the week and a couple trades. Good times!

Boogiepop

Got to pick up some from my local store, was pretty cool. I found the Spiderman comic to be really enjoyable, personally. Also really cool that, while there, I overheard a little girl talking about how good the Tick is, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom