• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive (Gosling, Mulligan, Hendricks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RED BAND TRAILER

drive_2.jpg

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn (Pusher Trilogy, Bronson, Valhalla Rising, upcoming Logan's Run Remake)
Cast: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, Bryan Cranston, Albert Brooks, Christina Hendricks, and Oscar Issac.

Synopsis:
Hollywood stunt driver by day (Ryan Gosling), a loner by nature, moonlights as a top-notch getaway driver-for-hire in the criminal underworld. He finds himself a target for some of LA’s most dangerous men after agreeing to aid the husband of his beautiful neighbor, Irene (Carey Mulligan). When the job goes dangerously awry, the only way he can keep Irene and her son alive is to do what he does best—Drive!

298874_181340445279677_105687816178274_404942_580689389_n.jpg

Drive hits theaters September 16th, 2011.

Fucking Logan's Run next? I was hoping he would tackle his Mads Mikkelsen heist flick after this.

This movie will be pretty cool. Great cast (Walt from Breaking Bad too! and Carey Mulligan's always good)

*whistles*

Good clip. I like Refn although he typically seems to miss the mark by just a little in most of the films he's done (Pusher II being the only exception IMO). This looks promising given the director and talent though.

I hope this film isn't too self indulgent. I liked Vallhalla Rising and kinda enjoyed Bronson. But they both suffered from trying to do too much.

Pusher trilogy's still his best stuff.

Visceir said:
Will watch if its starring Gosling, it is nice to see him try something more...actiony

I've been thinking lately that he should've been the lead character in the Bourne Legacy.

Anyway, looks good. Will watch.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Between this and Shame, Mulligan should have a hell of a 2011.

Refn is a pimp too. Working my way through the Pusher trilogy

A couple of hours ago Drive director Nicholas Winding Refn described his film, which costars Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan, as a "kind of fantasy" thing that was partly inspired, he said, by the vibe of driving around and listening to great music on the car stereo. He also said that in one sense it's "almost a John Hughes film."

Press Conference Video

Drive Cannes premiere just got out:

@firstshowing
Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive - Totally frickin' awesome. Violent, but badass, great soundtrack. Ryan Gosling is the man. Loved it, new fave. I've complained about Refn before, but this is his best movie hands down. May be a cult classic hit. Damn I want to see it again right now.

@erickohn
Walking out of DRIVE, feeling kinda wobbly. In a good way. #cannes

@BrooksId
For a film called Drive, sure is a lot of Slo-mo!

@peterhowellfilm
Drive: Wham, bam, thank you, man! Ryan Gosling rocks like a young De Niro. #Cannes

@ropeofsilicon
'Drive' was a great way to end my time here in Cannes, really enjoyed and fans of Refn are in for a treat. #Cannes

@totalfilm
Drive: Ryan Gosling smoulders in a throw back crime thriller, part Michael Mann's Thief, part Walter Hill's Driver, all awesome!
@gemko
Let's see if I can be the first person in your feed to say: DRIVE, holy shit.

@zaffi
Fast, bloody + brutal, Drive was an entertaining if somewhat shallow exercise in violent excess. Kind of like Bullitt meets Bronson. #cannes

@ZeitchikLAT
Gosling's Drive a violent Scandinavian mood piece w/US stars/setting. Feels like seminal moment in Cannes edginess.

@phillipstribune
R. Gosling in #Cannes revenge drama "Drive" dir. by Nicolas Winding Refn. Just high-hat enough in its sleek delivery of cliches for Palme?

@wellshwood
"Drive" isn't as good as " Thief," but it's respectably and sometimes very thrillingly in the same ballpark. Spare, hard, very high octane.
@ChaseWhale
DRIVE made me really, really sad; I wanted to like it so much.

@gemko
Drive (Winding Refn): 76. Patchy and shallow, but the highs are just insanely high. Half a dozen of the year's best scenes. Genre bliss.

@jamesrocchi
That imaginary universe where Michael Mann directs '80s adaptations of '60s Richard Stark novels? I was just there. It's called DRIVE.

empiremagazine
Thumbs up for Nicolas Winding Refn's DRIVE. Very retro, but it works. #cannes

@cobblehillis
DRIVE: Pure genre bliss! Superbly crafted suspense, framing, lighting, & stunt casting @AlbertBrooks as a violent heavy (who knew?) #Cannes

@eug
Based on early tweets & buzz in the lobby now, I am entirely in the minority on DRIVE in #Cannes. Everyone seems to adore it! Not me.

@ioncinema
Cannes 2011: Refn's DRIVE. More focus on the driving gloves than the cars. This one has got a mean streak and softer side: cult classic.

posted in Cannes thread, but worthy here!

[Cannes Review] Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive

In Drive, Ryan Gosling plays a lone-wolf type who likes to do precisely what the title explicitly says. Danish filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn, best known for his distinct visual style and edgy subject matter, attempts a high speed mainstream turn in this captivating thriller. After making the ultra-violent surreal prison biopic Bronson and a seriously intense Viking film Valhalla Rising, Refn has returned to Hollywood with a film full of bravado and brutality. With an A-list cast and a deceptively clever yet simple screenplay, Drive brings Refn’s over the top cinematic exploits stateside, despite becoming a somewhat shallow exercise in excessive violence.

B

noticed four PERFECT scores from different outlets:

In Contention (4 stars):

“I used to produce movies in the 80s,” Brooks smarms, in the film’s most self-relexive line. “Kind of action films, sexy stuff… one producer called them European.” The irony has not escaped Winding Refn that he himself is making one of those movies, though with a more expansive frame of reference, the finest layer of B-movie grime that time and money can buy, and a narrative propulsive enough that the film needn’t only be watched through quote marks. Made through the prism of two eras, operating both as sophisticated cinematic love note and fundamental fuck-yeah entertainment, this sleek, sinuous film is the best kind of nostalgia exercise: one that marvels at the movies that bore it, while stirring excitement for the future.

Rope of Silicon (A+):

The signature on Drive is all Refn, from the music down to the mood. He strips his films down to the point they don't exactly hit reality, but a hyper-reality where you can at once connect to the characters, but also revel in the entertainment of its absurdity. Refn's talents know no limits, his combination of action-packed bloody mayhem tied with his patience to include appropriately lengthy moments of silence show a director in control of his environment. Add to that a continually impressive talent for casting the right people and you have a film you will want to watch over and over again.

Film School Rejects (A+):

Drive is a brilliant advert for Winding Refn’s skill as a filmmaker. His cinematography here is beautiful, and he never lets up even when the film takes a turn for more obviously exploitation-like roads. I already want to see it again. It isn’t quite as good as The Artist, but it’s damn near: an exploitation/modern Western mix with brilliantly over-the-top sequences and gleeful abandon in its spirit. Long may Winding Refn rule.

FirstShowing (10 out of 10):

Even though it was the last film I saw in Cannes after a handful of other spectacular movies, Drive is my favorite film out of the 21 I saw at the festival. The entire movie I kept thinking to myself that it's an 'instant classic' and by the end the only word that stood out in my mind was indeed 'flawless.' It may have a few minor dents or scratches along its exterior, but I'm giving this near-masterpiece the edge and rounding up my score, as it deserves a perfect rating. Bravo Nicolas Winding Refn, you've won me over.

It's going to be a long wait until September. For all you LA'ers, it is screening this June at LA Film Fest for $13 a pop, seems well worth it. More info.

GhaleonQ

As someone who's been on Refn's side this whole time, it is hilarious to me that he might emerge as an objectively big director. I guess your Peter Weirs of the world started the same way, but still.

GhaleonQ said:
As someone who's been on Refn's side this whole time, it is hilarious to me that he might emerge as an objectively big director. I guess your Peter Weirs of the world started the same way, but still.

If this shows he can make a true crowdpleaser, I can't wait for him to do big-budget sci-fi with Logan's Run remake.

Munin said:
Why didn't you also mention that Refn just won best director for it at Cannes?

Ah, slipped my mind! Yeah, that was fantastic.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just realized in have three movies by Refn in my backlog (Pusher, Bronson and Valhalla Rising). I'm going to start with Bronson this week. This looks pretty nice and I'm also curious to see what they're going to do with Logan's Run. On a more cynical side, totally can't wait for people to call it an The Island rip-off when trailers start coming out!

Rei_Toei said:
Just realized in have three movies by Refn in my backlog (Pusher, Bronson and Valhalla Rising). I'm going to start with Bronson this week. This looks pretty nice and I'm also curious to see what they're going to do with Logan's Run. On a more cynical side, totally can't wait for people to call it an The Island rip-off when trailers start coming out!

Pusher is a trilogy, FYI. :)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Expendable. said:
Pusher is a trilogy, FYI. :)

I know, if the first one does the job I'll track down the other two :). I remember everyone raving about Pusher during a small film festival I was attending to years ago but I couldn't see it because I wanted to check out Millenium Mambo really bad.

GhaleonQ

Rei_Toei said:
I know, if the first one does the job I'll track down the other two :). I remember everyone raving about Pusher during a small film festival I was attending to years ago but I couldn't see it because I wanted to check out Millenium Mambo really bad.

I would say that they're all tonally similar but notably different, so you might just want to get all 3. I might compare it to the The Godfather movies in terms of continuity and differences.

rounded up some Los Angeles Film Festival impressions and found a big scoop!

Nicolas Winding Refn Pulls ‘Drive’ Into Los Angeles As ‘Only God Forgives’ Shia LaBeouf?

First is an excerpt from Cinema Blend, which had the first full review up.
See Drive in big screens as many times as you can and only in the best theaters you can find. While every element of the movie stands up, it’s a film that demands to be on a big screen with the greatest speakers imaginable. As for me, I plan on asking for vacation days the week after the film is released and buying a whole new stereo system when it comes out on home video. It’s worth every penny.

@LittleNgoc‎
Ryan Gosling is the definition of INTENSE. Just saw #DRIVE #LAFF premiere & it's the antithesis of The Notebook, but just as paralyzing.
@allisonloring
DRIVE: everything I wanted & nothing I expected. Simply a great f**king ride. #LAFF
@Lulamaybelle‎
#DRIVE was so fucking fantastic! I don't know where to begin but look for my review tomorrowish. Ryan Gosling FTW. #LAFF
‎
@Darol214‎
Just saw Drive at #LAFF and so good! I may have been more excited to see Albert Brooks there than Ryan Gosling. #ilovealbertbrooks
‎
@JordanCronk‎
DRIVE (#LAFF): To call this Refn's best film would be a huge understatement. Tough, precision filmmaking-- first hour is nearly impeccable.
‎
@CarrieSpecht‎
Drive @LAFF has a slow 1st half, but blasts off in the 2nd. Man, Albert Brooks like you've never seen.
‎@ale808‎
DRIVE is a LA noir version of SHANE. Badass. #LAFF
@screenjunkies‎
Just saw DRIVE at #LAFF. Amazing. Everyone must see it when it comes out in Sept.
@JackattheMovies‎
Learned 2 things 2night: 1) DRIVE may be the best film of the year. 2) Christina Hendricks is just as beautiful in person. #LAFF @LAFilmFest

@matthew_lingo‎
DRIVE (Refn, 2011): Lean, mean pulp fiction that slyly sneaks into complete fucking greatness. #LAFF
@mfrushmore‎
Waited for three hours in the rush line to see Drive. Having seen it, I would've waited three more. #laff #myhandsarealittledirty #soaremine
@colliderfrosty‎
saw Nicolas Winding Refn's DRIVE at #LAFF. If I could watch it again right now I would. If I could buy the soundtrack right now I would.
@willisco‎
I'm pretty inclined to proclaim "Drive" my favorite movie of the year. It was fantastic anyway. So jealous I didn't make it. #LAFF

@mkung‎
I really dug 'Drive.' Moody and evocative. Gosling isn't too hard on the eyes either, even when covered in blood.
@falsemirror
DRIVE was fucking fantastic. Great performances all around, incredible cinematography and direction and DRIVE has one of the year's best soundtracks, andwith Ryan Gosling as a badass motherfucker who also is a GQ motherfucker - come on.
@clairebidwell‎
Still trying to regain composure after seeing the amazing Drive with Ryan Gosling (both in person & on screen) the LA film fest.
@Greg_Boose‎
At the LA Film Festival and just checked out Ryan Gosling's 'Drive.' Fucking hell was it thrilling.

Blader5489 said:
What do you want? Release is 3 months away.

Unadulterated hype 24/7. I expect nothing less from GAF.

Heard that FilmDistrict is hoping for $20-25m opening. I wonder if it will happen. It's ULTRA violent.

I'm too excited for this and the cast. It's been on my horizon so long, I almost can't believe its out soon.
Have there been any stills of Cranston and Hendricks in their roles yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom