• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD XBLA, PSN, PC, iOS, Android, WP7 Trailer

bumpkin

Needs more "Sonic Boom."

I never got a chance to play CD (never owned the Sega-CD), so I'll have to check it out when it's released.

Requeim

"Here's the debut trailer for the upcoming Sonic CD title coming soon to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

edit: that's wacky workbench bad future Jap, good chance of superior soundtrack?

TimmiT

Taxman on Sonic Retro confirmed that this isn't an emulated port and that it's using the fan-made Retro engine.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
press release:

The beloved prequel to Sonic The Hedgehog 4™ Episode I

trailer:

for a moment I thought they were going to redo Sonic CD with 4's rubbish sprites and my heart stopped.

Sonic 4 is a lame duck, Sega. stop associating things with it for your own sakes!!

andymcc

Banned
Requeim said:
"Here's the debut trailer for the upcoming Sonic CD title coming soon to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

edit: that's wacky workbench bad future Jap, good chance of superior soundtrack?

it's been confirmed to have the Japanese soundtrack.

Requeim

andymcc said:
it's been confirmed to have the Japanese soundtrack.

sweet, i didn't stay around in the announcement thread. I hope this opens up for a disc release with all the classic games some day

andymcc

Banned
i was talking shit about how this was going to be a shitty, stretched widescreen, piss-filtered Backbone port but clearly, it's the exact opposite! consider me hyped!

Gagaman

Callin it, Sonic 4 episode II will be a sort of sequel to Sonic CD. Why else would they say "see how it all started" and associate it so much with Sonic 4? Also metal Sonic was teased at the end of Sonic 4 so..

..and it's a proper remake with widescreen and a built from the ground up engine by a crazy talented Sonic fan? What is not to love?

.la1n

iOS, sweet

Gagaman said:
Callin it, Sonic 4 episode II will be a sort of sequel to Sonic CD. Why else would they say "see how it all started" and associate it so much with Sonic 4? Also metal Sonic was teased at the end of Sonic 4 so..

..and it's a proper remake with widescreen and a built from the ground up engine by a crazy talented Sonic fan? What is not to love?

Yeah I think it's pretty obvious, also at the end is there a glimpse of a revamped Sonic 4 model that has the Sonic CD full run animation?

Gavarms

Press Release:
SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Sonic CD™ will debut on mobile phones and consoles everywhere. The game was originally released for the SEGA CD™ system in 1993, and included the first appearance of fan favorite characters Metal Sonic and Amy Rose. Sonic CD is coming to digital platforms with music from the original Japanese soundtrack. The beloved prequel to Sonic The Hedgehog 4™ Episode I is coming to Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®Network, iPhone® and iPod® touch, iPad™, Windows PC Digital Download, Android and Windows Phone and will be available for download in late 2011.

“Ask any Sonic fan to name their favorite games, and Sonic CD always ranks near the top of their lists,” said Haruki Satomi, Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “Sonic CD marks an important chapter in Sonic’s history, bridging the gap between his oldest adventures and his new digital exploits like Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I. We’ve made sure the re-mastered edition has everything that Sonic fans want to see with all of the original colorful classic zones.”

Following the classic story of the original, Sonic CD sees Dr Eggman plan to cause chaos and take control of the future by stealing Time Stones from the Little Planet. Sonic must speed through levels and travel through time while fending off Eggman’s robots to recover the Time Stones, and save Amy Rose from his mechanical twin, Metal Sonic! This fast-paced game will return with brand new features including enhanced widescreen graphics, special iOS features, Xbox LIVE Achievements, PSN Trophies, PC Achievements and more.

The re-release of Sonic CD will be making its public debut at the Microsoft booth at PAX Prime in Seattle, August 26–28, 2011. For more information on Sonic CD, please visit http://www.sega.com/

.la1n

Oh damn PSN too? I don't want to get too excited but it looks like Sega might be doing something...right?

andymcc

Banned
Gagaman said:

i would have never have even made the connection. haha

you're probably right.

_dementia said:
This isn't Backbone, is it?

no. it's based off of that one guy's iOS port.

Rlan

Excited to see Sonic CD w/ RetroEngine, but they couldn't have done a worse job with the horrific sprite manipulation in the trailer.

For gods sake, you've got a ton of video guys at Sega, clearly, don't let Ben from accounting to it in Sony Vega.

Oh:

I just need to know if the soundtrack has been updated to loop

Taxman said:
Yes, also Sonic 2 spindash or CD style.

sonic_generations_by_trakker-d3ebdx3.png

Zane

TimmiT said:
Taxman on Sonic Retro confirmed that this isn't an emulated port and that it's using the fan-made Retro engine.
Can you provide a link to his post? I believe you but would like to see for myself. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope it's cheap. I might get it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The beginning is the complete opposite of the Episode 1 teaser. Now Sonic goes from horrible pre rendered graphics to gorgeous 2D sprites.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Omikaru said:
Awesome! PC version for me.
Really? If you're going that far, why not just emulate the original disc?

Of course, it is possible that this will have improvements over the original Sega CD game. If the slowdown is cleaned up it would be fantastic (and with Taxman on board, it should be solid).

LiK

dark10x said:
Really? If you're going that far, why not just emulate the original disc?

Of course, it is possible that this will have improvements over the original Sega CD game. If the slowdown is cleaned up it would be fantastic (and with Taxman on board, it should be solid).
PC cheevos!

andymcc

Banned
BGBW said:
The beginning is the complete opposite of the Episode 1 teaser. Now Sonic goes from horrible pre rendered graphics to gorgeous 2D sprites.

you know, if they're using the Retro engine for this and it works on all platforms, does that mean that maybe sonic 4 episode 2 might not use the same engine as episode 1?

TimmiT

Looks like this game will have more new features besides widescreen, Taxman said this on Sonic Retro in response to someone asking about the camera:
The widescreen display made me wonder about something... will the "Sonic CD camera" be also an option? I'm seeing Sonic very centered in that footage, which feels a bit odd after playing the original for so many years.

It wouldn't be so bothersome to anybody now that there's more space on the sides, even though it also won't be needed as much now.
Yeah, the camera is also tied into the spindash you choose. You pick one game style or the other. Anyway, I think I've said to much since I'm not the one meant to be marketing this!
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=26192&view=findpost&p=614271

TimmiT said:
I knew it! since that video of taxman showing off his retro engine / sonic cd on iOS sega jumped in with open arms, woo!

His Retro engine is amazing, this is the best thing ever to happen to sonic since sonic 1 was released.

oh my fucking god. so happy to see my favorite sonic game getting the proper remake it fucking deserves.

*tears of joy

DeVeAn

Wow, I am in shock. This is how you re release games. Good job on this taxman fellow. Showing Sega how to take care of their prized IP. Will buy all versions possible.

Blueblur1

Okay, I'm buying this on multiple platforms. Sega's been on a roll lately. Console versions of Sonic Generations look great, PSO 2 is a proper PSO sequel and is amazing, and now Taxman's Sonic CD... Hey, maybe Sonic 4 Ep. 2 won't be complete shit when it hits next year?

TreIII

mooglesoft said:
oh my fucking god. so happy to see my favorite sonic game getting the proper remake it fucking deserves.

*tears of joy

I'm with you. CD was always my fave Sonic game.

And it's nice to know that I won't have to do anything special to play with the Japanese OST, either! I imported the JP version of Gems Collection for GC, just so that I could have it and the Bare Knuckles on the same token! :lol

OMG Aero

The beloved prequel to Sonic The Hedgehog 4™ Episode I is coming to Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®Network, iPhone® and iPod® touch, iPad™, Windows PC Digital Download, Android and Windows Phone and will be available for download in late 2011.
I thought they originally said that Sonic 4 was a direct sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
And if Sonic CD is a prequel to Sonic 4, then doesn't that make Sonic CD actually Sonic 4 and Sonic 4 actually Sonic 5?

Top Bottom