• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation DLC Announced - Road of Devastation

yY5MK.jpg

Housemarque has announced new DLC content for Dead Nation called Road of Devastation, which is to be made available exclusively on PSN.

Continuing where the original game left off, the DLC sees players
waking up in a laboratory with only one way out. Once outside,
the player must choose which of the three directions presented to them to take – each one with new environments, challenges and enemies along with new tools and equipment to dispose of them with.

“We’ve been working hard since the launch of Dead Nation to bring exciting new content to the fans of the game,” says Housemarque CEO, Ilari Kuittinen. “Since the launch of the game, Dead Nation has been a top selling PSN title having fans all around the globe. After being included in the Welcome Pack offering, the game has reached over 3.8 millions downloads, which is simply mindboggling and unheard of for a PSN game.”

Pricing and the release date will be announced soon.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/06/road-of-devastation-dlc-announced-for-dead-nation/

About damn time. :D

Some info about the DLC from our very own Noisepurge...

Noisepurge said:
finally can talk about this :D i've been playtesting it so if you have any questions, shoot!

edit: in a nutshell it's a score attack mode with 3 different paths to choose from. One focuses on weapon upgrades, one on cash and health and the third one was armor and...something, my memory fails :D

Each runthrough leads you back to the main hub. And your goal is to try and survive as many runthroughs as possible. You can always select between the 3 paths, but the one you just went through is closed until you survive through another one.

It is really fun but only if you are into getting a better and better score. As each runthrough is more difficult than the one before it. But you get to keep the weapons and upgrades you have chosen to acquire so far. So there is definately some strategy involved.

Flayer

3 different paths? I wonder how much content each one has. I'll definitely be buying this DLC though, I was an early adopter before Dead Nation was given away for free and had a great time with it.

Cool that they are still supporting it. I only played 4 missions co-op and put it down, mainly because the main rifle is a chore to use. It does have some oldschool charm to it so I might finish it someday.

finally can talk about this :D i've been playtesting it so if you have any questions, shoot!

edit: in a nutshell it's a score attack mode with 3 different paths to choose from. One focuses on weapon upgrades, one on cash and health and the third one was armor and...something, my memory fails :D

Each runthrough leads you back to the main hub. And your goal is to try and survive as many runthroughs as possible. You can always select between the 3 paths, but the one you just went through is closed until you survive through another one.

It is really fun but only if you are into getting a better and better score. As each runthrough is more difficult than the one before it. But you get to keep the weapons and upgrades you have chosen to acquire so far. So there is definately some strategy involved.

I thought Dead Nation was a cheap game (as in the computer is cheap and you always get fucked dying in the end and having to redo the whole chapter). The game had potential but my experience was bad due to the cheap AI.

Chaplain

AranhaHunter said:
I thought Dead Nation was a cheap game (as in the computer is cheap and you always get fucked dying in the end and having to redo the whole chapter). The game had potential but my experience was bad due to the cheap AI.

This is old school game design. The key is to memorize the location of enemies and use your ammo accordingly.

Because of the old school design, my wife and I thought it was a brilliant game. We are waiting for the true sequel to the game.

Game Analyst said:
This is old school game design. The key is to memorize the location of enemies and use your ammo accordingly.

Because of the old school design, my wife and I thought it was a brilliant game. We are waiting for the true sequel to the game.

I like old school game design, but this game was just cheap especially the slasher.

Just make the level easier to get the loot in FFS. Otherwise I loved the game, but it took some time and some fixes to love.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It was easy to get confused when playing co-op and end up running into zombies. This is what annoyed me the most, but looks like the game has a solid community now, so I'll check it out.

Chaplain

AranhaHunter said:
I like old school game design, but this game was just cheap especially the slasher.

I don't agree. As long as you knew where they were and placed minds on the ground, most enemies, including the slasher, were no problem. DN was really strategic if you knew the location of the enemies and used your weapons depending on which enemy you were facing.

But to each their own.

Noisepurge said:

That doesn't sound too great, but I'm still interested. Loved the main game, so more is very welcome, but was hoping for something more than a score attack mode.

Speedymanic said:
That doesn't sound too great, but I'm still interested. Loved the main game, so more is very welcome, but was hoping for something more than a score attack mode.

yeah i know :D a couple expansion chapters would be awesome.

Speedymanic said:
I'm kind of glad it's score attack. I feel like the main game had a very deep score structure, like SSDHD, but was essentially forgotten as people just played the story once or twice then moved on. The overall mechanics of the game were fun enough that I want a bunch of people to chase tops with.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nice details. I'll buy this for sure. I didn't like Dead Nation at first, but after the patches I absolutely loved it.

Satchel

Banned
Will buy.

Hadn't heard of Dead Nation before the 'Sorry' giveaway, but picked it up because it was one of only two games I didn't already have.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did. Love Dead Nation and will buy anything they add to it.

Hope this potentially becomes a model for future games. Give a game away for free (I know the circumstances here aren't normal though), and then get people buying the extras.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hey, so the trophy list just popped up. Six new trophies:

Still In the Game - Bronze
Survive to Round 5

Never Give Up - Gold
Survive to Round 10

Keep It Up - Silver
Complete a Round with a Kills-per-minute ratio of 100 or more

Combo Master - Silver
Get the Apocalypse Combo Kill Bonus (150 Kills)

Dynamic Duo - Bronze
Complete a Round in Co-Op Without Either Player Taking Damage

Found 'Em - Bronze
Find all the Egogate emblems

I'll be buying this for sure. I loved Dead Nation. I almost never buy any dlc for games but I will if for nothing else than to support such a fantastic game. But I do hope they adjust the brightness in the dlc maps, I had to turn the brightness to max in the options menu just so I could actually see all the enemies.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yeah I'm getting this. Love twin stick shooters and Dead Nation is definitely among the better ones.

I've yet to beat the game itself. Every time I play it though I have a good time. Glad I picked this game up during the psn fiasco. May eventually pick up this dlc.

instabuy.

been playing a new campaign run lately due to the patch that came out a while back changing a bunch of things. so far it's all been for the better. i've even found some areas i missed the first time, like this huge fenced-in area with a massive crowd of military zombies. can't remember what stage it was on though.

looks like i'll have more to do once i'm done. >:)

dallow_bg said:
So from the trophies it sounds like a Horde mode kind of thing?
I was hoping for levels, but this could work.

It's not really a Horde mode. You select one of 3 paths and proceed fighting through it. Then you are returned to the main hub and can select another path.

It does get more difficult after completing a path so in a sense it is similar to a survival mode.

Top Bottom