• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously guys why doesn't Nintendo just release the Wii-U at a reasonable time with a reasonable price and a reasonable amount of 1st party games at launch with a reasonably solid online infrastructure.

Liek srsly.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Seriously guys why doesn't Nintendo just release the Wii-U at a reasonable time with a reasonable price and a reasonable amount of 1st party games at launch with a reasonably solid online infrastructure.

Liek srsly.

Patcher? Is that you?

-Pyromaniac- said:

Liek srsly.
Woah, ever think of becoming a game journalist?

Fourth Storm said:
He'll buy your ideas, put the prototype in the vault, and then shoot yah out back like a circus elephant.

Don't forget that he would cover it up by saying it came from his latest hobby.

Proelite said:
Maybe the Wii U version would have 2 way SMT instead of 4 way SMT, which would both drop some silicon and be more similar to Xenon.

Just to temper people's expectations, unless Nintendo totally scrap the current Wii-U form factor, we're looking at a 100W TDP tops for the whole system, which is still more than 5x the Wii.

I was able to find estimated core size of the PPE on Xenon, so I'm doing a very rough comparison for Wii U.

Xenon was 168mm2 and each core was around 28mm2. Let's say 4way increased it by 50% to 42mm2. Now we're sitting at 126 for the cores. According to an old B3D topic I found the eDRAM density from IBM's new method is 2.1mm2/MByte. I made sure to spell out byte so people wouldn't think bit. Going with the B3D rumored amount of 16, that's another 34mm2 (rounded). So when you take the cores and eDRAM you're at 160mm2 for the "main" processor parts. Based on that it should be under 200mm2.

Okay, I see - nothing happened. COME ON NINTENDO, WHERE WAS MY OCTOBER CONFERENCE!?

Bending_Unit_22 said:
I can't find it but I think I predicted earlier:

CPU - 3 or 4 core OOE 3.125 GHz
GPU - 627 MHz 5870, 512 MB RAM, 24 or 32 MB eDRAM (or whatever is necessary for standard 1080P play plus whatever)
RAM - 1.254 GHz, 1, maybe 2, GB lesser RAM

Yeah I know, detailed and in depth.

I like you. These specs make me happy.

lherre

Accurate
Forgot the 4 core "bets" or speculations-predictions, it is a tri-core cpu. Well maybe nintendo wants to design again all the wii U arquitecture to accomodate 4 cores but I think that won't be the case.

wsippel

Banned
lherre said:
Forgot the 4 core "bets" or speculations-predictions, it is a tri-core cpu. Well maybe nintendo wants to design again all the wii U arquitecture to accomodate 4 cores but I think that won't be the case.
Not that the number of cores would tell us much, anyway. With a tri core CPU, it could be anything from three to twelve symmetric threads, and it tells us nothing about the number of execution units/ IPC either. Not to mention we don't know the clock speed. Even with three cores, it could be significantly slower or many times faster than Xenon.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lherre said:
Now all you need to tell us the CPU bitness and the subject about the CPU can be considered closed.

wsippel

Banned
blu said:
Now all you need to tell us the CPU bitness and the subject about the CPU can be considered closed.
Not really, especially if it's 64bit. That still leaves us with at least four possibilities: PPE, POWER6, POWER7, A2.

blu

wsippel said:
Not really, especially if it's 64bit. That still leaves us with at least four possibilities: PPE, POWER6, POWER7, A2.
*wooshhhhh*

MDX

lherre said:

four cores and seven years ago...

If its three cores, then why didnt IBM just say 3 cores, instead of "multi-core" in their press release? To keep the competition guessing?

Spoke to one of the lead concept artists on BWii recently, and he reckons there will never be another Battalion Wars game. At least certainly not for WiiU...

Kind of expected, but I'm still disappointed. Though considering he doesn't work for Headstrong anymore, his verdict is only opinion...

Man, I'm really clutching at straws here. I just need some WiiU info!

lherre

Accurate
MDX said:
four cores and seven years ago...

If its three cores, then why didnt IBM just say 3 cores, instead of "multi-core" in their press release? To keep the competition guessing?

But you honestly think that sony or ms don't know anything about Wii U's hardware? (and the same about nintendo and the other two machines).

3 cores - 2 threads each core

lherre said:

*waves hand while using Nintendo jedi mind trick*

This is not the droi... info we are looking for.

Javier said:
BTW, what time is the Reggie interview?
Ubermatik said:
Yeah, anyone? Need to watch.

1:05am EST

Thunder Monkey said:
Damn you bgassassin!

I had no idea that Ace dies in One Piece.

Evil spirit. :(

:O >_< Apologies x10000000

OniShiro

Banned
My prediction:

Wii U will probably have 4 cores ( one of which will probably handle the controller image rendering, input, etc ).

X720 will have 8 cores and PS4 is hard to tell because if they keep with the Cell arquitecture then I think they can go up to 32 cores easily ( but I doubt they will, because development would be a nightmare with such massive multithreading ), so they will probably also have 8 cores.

For the GPU, I think Nintendo will put a 5750 modified.

For ram I think Nintendo will only put 1GB of memory, but very very fast.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The more time goes by without any additional information from Nintendo or even hyperbole hints from devs, the more I'm convinced it's going to be a very small spec bump from current next gen consoles. I'm expecting to be completely underwealmed by the tech when this thing gets released.

If my predictions are correct about hardware. It's conceivable that nothing on it will look as good as Uncharted 3 for a good couple of years until the devs learn how to squeeze the most out of it.

I might still get one if the price is right for the console and games as I don't see how Ninty can charge full price for WiiU games considering they will look decidedly last gen when Xbox720 and PS4 comes along.

lherre said:
But you honestly think that sony or ms don't know anything about Wii U's hardware? (and the same about nintendo and the other two machines).

Ahh. Gracias. I always wondered how much does each company know about the other during the development cycle. Did you find out what kit version you're on?

Thunder Monkey said:
Ah, it's fine.

It's my own fault. I'm taking too long getting there.

Cool. I hate spoiling things and figured it was old enough to go ahead with it.

m.i.s.

Banned
JimWood27 said:
Aw man, what happened to Ace? Who is going to fight the good fight in the DOOOMED threads?

Well, you know, when a dog keeps howling like a broken record, don't be surprised if it's owners keep it muzzled.

Perfectly valid threads are continually being derailed by this inane d****** jabber.

blu

cyberheater said:
If my predictions are correct about hardware. It's conceivable that nothing on it will look as good as Uncharted 3 for a good couple of years until the devs learn how to squeeze the most out of it.
Erm, a major point of this exercise for nintendo was to make things easier on devs, so that those can apply their ps360 and pc know-how on the next nintendo console. And you can bet your bottom nintendo won't use obscure tech ala Cell in WiiU.

I might still get one if the price is right for the console and games as I don't see how Ninty can charge full price for WiiU games considering they will look decidedly last gen when Xbox720 and PS4 comes along.
slow_clap.gif

blu said:
slow_clap.gif

I'm expecting a good amount of disappointment.

I think all the talk from Epic is stating they aren't too happy with the specs they've seen from the other hardware makers and they're trying to do again like what they did for the 360 memory boost. Especially when you have someone from DICE saying they'll look like current PC games.

bgassassin said:

I think all the talk from Epic is stating they aren't too happy with the specs they've seen from the other hardware makers and they're trying to do again like what they did for the 360 memory boost. Especially when you have someone from DICE saying they'll look like current PC games.

But we were promised Avatar! I don't see how Microsoft or Sony can justify charging full price for games if they don't all look like Avatar!

bgassassin said:

This is what some of us have been saying for awhile would happen.

wsippel

Banned
lherre said:

So... modified PPEs (in-order, shit pipeline design)? Or something else? 3.5GHz?

StreetsAhead said:
But we were promised Avatar! I don't see how Microsoft or Sony can justify charging full price for games if they don't all look like Avatar!

Maybe when the AMD guy said games would look like Avatar that all of them with have character designs that look like tall blue people? Maybe? I got nothin'.

Shin Johnpv said:
This is what some of us have been saying for awhile would happen.

Exactly. The latest confirmation of what I believed about Epic came from Capps stating gamers should be demanding Samaritan-level graphics next gen. No reason to say that if the next consoles were already capable of achieve this IMO.

wsippel said:
So... modified PPEs (in-order, shit pipeline design)? Or something else? 3.5GHz?

Maybe I'm remembering more than was there, but didn't the IBM press release confirm it to be out of order? I could totally be remembering wrong though.

bgassassin said:
Exactly. The latest confirmation of what I believed about Epic came from Capps stating gamers should be demanding Samaritan-level graphics next gen. No reason to say that if the next consoles were already capable of achieve this IMO.

Yup, though I don't think Epic is going to get what they want. Going to be some big meltdowns.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
blu said:
Erm, a major point of this exercise for nintendo was to make things easier on devs, so that those can apply their ps360 and pc know-how on the next nintendo console. And you can bet your bottom nintendo won't use obscure tech ala Cell in WiiU.

Being easy to program is one thing but if the underlying technology isn't going to that powerful relative to hardware that's just around the corner then it's always going to play catch up.

If MS reveal their next Xbox at E3 next year and the tech is in the right ballpark in line with expectations then the WiiU is going to look pretty poor in comparison. It's even possible that WiiU and next gen Xbox might launch in the same year (2012) which would be a disaster for Ninty.

cyberheater

AlStrong said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no.

Even 1 year apart, a lot of Ninty's target audience may decide to wait for superior hardware

bgassassin said:
I never even heard of the show till now. But it's on Spike.
Well then, guess I can't watch it. Saving me some sleep. I'll catch it when it goes on GT.
EDIT: Surprise, surprise. I do have Spike. Guess I'm staying up.

StevieP

Banned
AlStrong said:

Actually, it might. Microsoft's original plans were to have it co-incide with the Windows 8 release, from all that I've read. *start speculation* Thing is, the bulldozer failure might have caused MS to rethink the silicon inside the console and to flip back to IBM, and this will cause a delay. Not to say that it's completely impossible to do a late 2012 release, but it certainly makes it more difficult.

If MS reveal their next Xbox at E3 next year and the tech is in the right ballpark in line with expectations

What if it isn't?

And what the hell's happened in the last 2 weeks? What did I miss? lol
BurntPork and AceBandage are both banned! :lol

MDX

cyberheater said:
Even 1 year apart, a lot of Ninty's target audience may decide to wait for superior hardware

AlStrong said:

Hardware takes a backseat to games.
Nintendo is going to wow a lot of people with the titles they have been sitting on.

usmanusb

guyssss, interesting thing is no one knows the real specs and making it like confirmed.. only few tids and bits are there like based on IBM watson, customized amd chip and lots of ram (by darksider devs). some put rumours from the dev kits (probably 1st gen) with ati4850 etc.. (which u guyz also knows how xbox360 1st gen devkits were.. not as powerful)

but in the end, i believe there will be something interesting cooking.. hardware wars are not win by best or strongest hardware... (look at ps2).. it will be by the games.. but hardware should give enough for the developers to make what they want.. :) Nintendo is the most experience in making balance hardware.. they will come out with something decent enough.. and this time they are more open with third parties as compare to previous generations..

who will win next battle, i think it will be based on games, marketing and somehow journalism :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom