• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Takao

Banned
True, but these new hit games don't have to come from Sony themselves, it could simply be Sony being on the hunt for awesome new game ideas from third parties that would seem to have mass appeal, and of course buying exclusivity out on the ideas in the mean time. There's always another Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter equivalent waiting to be born somewhere.

There is no such thing as a third party exclusive. If something does succeed on Vita to where it saves the platform Sony should just buy the company unless it's from Capcom, Square Enix, or Konami.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is there something specific that'll make people want it on vita though? The footage for the game does look great, but I'm having a hard time seeing people pony up for a new system just to play it on a portable if they already own a ps3.

If it actually has all the full features of the PS3 version, including things like Virtual Pro and Ultimate Team on the go then I can see it easily being the Vita's best selling game at launch
and if crap really hits the fan, of all time.

Busaiku

Inazuma Eleven Go is a bomba, first week sales accounted for an amazingly bad 35% of the initial shipment. Even if it gets to a decent LTD, like Ni No Kuni DS I wouldn't call it a success given most of those will be sold in the bomba bin.

Well how much has the price collapsed?
I'm just looking at Amazon, and it seems to be as much of a drop as Monster Hunter 3G, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land.

And right now it's almost through 60% of the shipment.
I realize that's still not the greatest thing, but didn't Kirby's Return To Dreamland have a similarly big first shipment?
Of course I don't expect it to bounce back nearly as much as Kirby did, but I still think it can at least get a second shipment, which wouldn't be awful.

ElFly

In Europe? I could see FIFA outselling most of the Vita games combined at launch over in Europe. Their entire advertising for the Vita in Europe should just be footage of people playing the game on a Vita.

Wouldn't soccer fans be super entrenched on the console versions?

I really doubt this is a market that can be forced to change habits so soon. They are buying rooster updates year to year.

Marco1

I will be buying a 3DS soon yet I know the vita has more power and features, I won't be buying it.
To be honest, I don't know why as I love tech and I love the tech that vita has but it just doesn't have anything coming in software that would make me want it. Also I really wish they had gone with a clamshell design because after owning an iphone 4s with gorilla glass has me scratching my head why they didn't use it.
They are doing what they did with the original PSP, games that look and play just as well on my TV.

Takao

Banned
Well how much has the price collapsed?
I'm just looking at Amazon, and it seems to be as much of a drop as Monster Hunter 3G, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land.

Price collapses generally don't happen after week 1 (unless you're Final Fantasy), and while week 2 sales for Inazuma Go didn't drop a tonne, there's a tonne of unsold units out there, and as marketing for the 2 games, and the movie come to a close there's likely to be a bunch of games in the bin.

I will be buying a 3DS soon yet I know the vita has more power and features, I won't be buying it.
To be honest, I don't know why as I love tech and I love the tech that vita has but it just doesn't have anything coming in software that would make me want it. Also I really wish they had gone with a clamshell design because after owning an iphone 4s with gorilla glass has me scratching my head why they didn't use it.

Because clam shell designs are pretty terrible for ergonomics, and after Sony Tablet P I'm not sure anyone would want a Sony designed clam shell device.

wsippel

Banned
There's literally nothing to take outside of middling things like Yakuza, God Eater and Phantasy Star.
Dunno about Yakuza, but neither God Eater nor Phantasy Star are announced for Vita I believe, and Phantasy Star isn't exactly a Sony centric franchise to begin with.

EDIT: Nevermind, misread your post.

Road

December Sales according to each tracker calendar:

Media Create
2005 - NDS - 1,872,865 (5 weeks: 2005-11-28~2006-01-01)
2011 - 3DS - 1,406,174 (5 weeks: 2011-11-28~2012-01-01) [still 1 week left]

Famitsu
2011 - 3DS - 1,492,931 (4 weeks: 2011-11-28~2011-12-26)
2006 - NDS - 1,477,904 (5 weeks: 2006-11-27~2006-12-31)
2005 - NDS - 1,447,719 (4 weeks: 2005-11-28~2005-12-26)

If we compare the same weeks for Media Create and Famitsu:

MCreate - 2005 - NDS - 1,872,865 (5 weeks: 2005-11-28~2006-01-01)
Famitsu - 2005 - NDS - 1,855,914 (5 weeks: 2005-11-28~2006-01-01)
Famitsu - 2011 - 3DS - 1,492,931 (5 weeks: 2011-11-28~2012-01-01) [still 1 week left]
MCreate - 2011 - 3DS - 1,406,174 (5 weeks: 2011-11-28~2012-01-01) [still 1 week left]

There is no such thing as a third party exclusive. If something does succeed on Vita to where it saves the platform Sony should just buy the company unless it's from Capcom, Square Enix, or Konami.

Very true. If Monster Hunter was made by a smaller outfit, they would've been bought long ago.

Dunno about Yakuza, but neither God Eater nor Phantasy Star are announced for Vita I believe, and Phantasy Star isn't exactly a Sony centric franchise to begin with.

The only thing Vita-related we've gotten in regards to Phantasy Star is a mysterious tweet about Phantasy Star Victory (PSV).
God Eater 2 is on PSP, IIRC.

I think it's still important to note that the PSP isn't dead, and by this point, is probably pure cash in the bank for Sony.
Still have releases for it lined up through next year.

Capcom should think the same cause the game is flopping. If they released it on PSP it would've done over a million already

I hope this isn't a serious post...they can't keep it on the same old platform forever. They have to transition over eventually

Busaiku

Price collapses generally don't happen after week 1 (unless you're Final Fantasy), and while week 2 sales for Inazuma Go didn't drop a tonne, there's a tonne of unsold units out there, and as marketing for the 2 games, and the movie come to a close there's likely to be a bunch of games in the bin.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the next two weeks hold up.
I don't think it'll reach the heights of 2 or 3, but if it holds steady the next few weeks (without receiving a big price drop), it should be able to do well enough.

My $2 weave has been snatched :(
i got my TriG bundle for Christmas, you importing?
I bought myself a new TV and computer, so for the next few months I won't have any money left for a McDonalds, let alone a japanese 3DS. :(

Still waiting for the western version (online enabled, of course).

Marco1

Poor Sony, I am sure the board meetings at the moment are flailing!
I know this sounds very cynical but I just don't see them recovering from this, I have heard no one talking about wanting this and after talking to three relatives and friends who received a 3DS at Christmas, I asked why they didn't wait for vita they all replied it just looks like a bigger PSP which they hated.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because I'm assuming Vita's having Wifi model shortages, theres no other way really, I mean holy fuck those are low numbers :/
I dont think there were any big WiFi model shortages. I think it is more about that the 3DS competition simply was too big this holiday season and that a lot of people had the mind set on the 3DS instead.

hyp

gives me hope for a ps vita price drop early next year.

3ds numbers aren't that hot compared to the monster that the ds was. lunch is definitely getting eaten this gen.

Poor Sony, I am sure the board meetings at the moment are flailing!
I know this sounds very cynical but I just don't see them recovering from this, I have heard no one talking about wanting this and after talking to three relatives and friends who received a 3DS at Christmas, I asked why they didn't wait for vita they all replied it just looks like a bigger PSP which they hated.

Don't worry, I'm sure their sales in other consumer electronics will prop up their losses here again... right?

Takao

Banned
I'll get a Vita once it hits that bomba price similar to the PSP Go. Oh you know it's gonna happen.

This is by far the worst "will wait for x before buying y" post I've ever read. If Vita were to reach Go level bomba prices no one in the world should buy one.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the next two weeks hold up.
I don't think it'll reach the heights of 2 or 3, but if it holds steady the next few weeks (without receiving a big price drop), it should be able to do well enough.

I'd say they still have about 50% of their shipment on store shelves. Go's debut is the second worst in the series' history, only behind the first iteration, and actually did worse than the Inazuma Eleven 3 expansion pack's first week.

Very true. If Monster Hunter was made by a smaller outfit, they would've been bought long ago.

The only thing Vita-related we've gotten in regards to Phantasy Star is a mysterious tweet about Phantasy Star Victory (PSV).
God Eater 2 is on PSP, IIRC.

I think it's still important to note that the PSP isn't dead, and by this point, is probably pure cash in the bank for Sony.
Still have releases for it lined up through next year.

I think the developer behind God Eater has Vita devkits, but they're probably just rendering 3DS models on them or something.

mclem

can't say i am disappointed for wii, 9 out top 20 is not bad, but just dance, just amazing, another evergreen title for nintendo

I think the interesting thing about Just Dance is that it's a *third party* evergreen title - that's hugely successful *internationally*.

Soroc

Looks to me like the Vita is sharing the same problem the 3DS did, well at least in the US.

The DS is still super popular in the states up until around now where I think you may start to see a drop off but the problem is 2 handhelds in the market at the same time from the same company cannibalizes its sales.

I think you are seeing the same thing for the Vita. The PSP is still really popular and successful in Japan and it is cannibalizing on the sales of the Vita. It will take around 6 months or possibly longer for the transition to take effect.

Strong software will help the transition though.

Kyon

Banned
I bought myself a new TV and computer, so for the next few months I won't have any money left for a McDonalds, let alone a japanese 3DS. :(

Still waiting for the western version (online enabled, of course).
omg im sorry :( Im not expecting a western release never the less online, but i hope the best so we can play online together :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Hahaha, it really happened after all, PSP>Vita.

I couldn't wait more for numbers coming out, I had to leave for work.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hahaha, it really happened after all, PSP>Vita.

I couldn't wait more for numbers coming out, I had to leave for work.

No

PSP>Wii>PS3>Vita happened.

This thread, as well as the precedent, will enter in the history of Neogaf. No doubt about it.

Kenka

05./01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) {2011-12-15} - 118,816 / 643,033 (-77%)
07./09. [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo) {2011-10-13} - 96,771 / 420,064 (+120%)
Would I dare to suggest that the streams may... cross ?
We finally have an evidence as to why the end of the world is happenning in 2012.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Vita could do better in the west but launching around the same period as iPad 3 is NOT a bright idea.
Sony's time to market strategy is awful.

Opiate

Speaking internationally, the worst case scenario for Sony is this: They have a system built for Japan (i.e. the Japanese like "hardcore," dedicated gaming portables) but software built for the US (ports of PS3/360 games like CoD), and it tanks in both places because the Japanese don't want the software and the dudebros don't want the hardware (dudebros are literally the last demographic I see being willing to give up their big screen TVs).

Best case scenario: Japanese software picks up, and the PSV does what the PSP did in Japan; the US software library becomes highly varied -- not just the number of titles, but also the type of titles, encompassing Android games like Angry birds in the free-5 dollar range, PSN titles in the 5-15 dollar range, cheap-o PSV titles in the 20-30 range, and "big blockbuster" titles in the 35-50 dollar range. This enormous variability manages to attract gamers from a wide variety of interests even if it doesn't dominate and control any of those ecosystems independently.

All of this is vague hand waving, though. I am very much a "let's wait and see what happens" type of person. Consider the phases/cycles of doom and then victory and then despair we've already had:

1) When 3DS was announced, its initial third party support seemed so overwhelming that everyone thought it was a sure fire hit.
2) By the time it launched, due to pricing and battery concerns along with several third party misfires, this opinion had completely changed, and suddenly the 3DS seemed doomed.
3) Vita was announced. With the 3DS weakening, Vita's chances seemed quite good.
4) 3DS price cut and game announcements. Suddenly the 3DS was no longer doomed.
5) Vita launches. Now Vita is doomed.

We've gone back and forth so many times, now, and this is before including any discussion about iOS or Android. But I want to point out that this sort of volatility of opinion should be expected, because the handheld gaming industry is undergoing enormous change and it's especially difficult to see in to the future when fortunes are changing so rapidly. And for precisely that same reason, I don't think it's prudent to be alarmist in regards to the PSV's long term successes.

I feel comfortable saying the next 4-6 months are going to be rough for the system. Beyond that, I'll wait and see. For now, again, all I feel I can offer is vague hand waving.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita could do better in the west but launching around the same period as iPad 3 is NOT a bright idea.
Sony's time to market strategy is awful.

The little bit of hype which it has will be overshadowed by the next iPad - there is nothing they can do about it, Nintendo had also to deal with it and the iPad 2.

Boken

Banned
I really doubt that the Playstation handheld line could ever just "die out". Sony is too powerful for that - and I think it's impossible for the Vita to do so terribly.

These sales numbers do look kinda funny though. *whistleS*

GCX

3ds numbers aren't that hot compared to the monster that the ds was. lunch is definitely getting eaten this gen.
When the reference point is the biggest holiday of Japan's best-selling console of all time, I think it's quite good news that 3DS' December sales are tracking only slightly behind it.

canvee

WOW at Just dance and Kirby. Also wow at all the wii/ds software increases. Hope the vita situation is temporary :(

canvee

I really doubt that the Playstation handheld line could ever just "die out". Sony is too powerful for that - and I think it's impossible for the Vita to do so terribly.

These sales numbers do look kinda funny though. *whistleS*

Yeah the handheld market in Japan is too important now.

gogogow

Vita 2nd week looks pretty bad, 3DS sold 209k. It really needs a huge game announcement, and needs to be released in the first half of 2012, because the 3DS line-up is packed in the coming months.

BurntPork

Banned
gives me hope for a ps vita price drop early next year.

What is it with Apple fans and this metaphor? I don't know why, but it pisses me off.

Also, calling the second biggest December ever with only three games carrying it "not that hot" is the definition of grasping at straws.

ElFly

I feel comfortable saying the next 4-6 months are going to be rough for the system. Beyond that, I'll wait and see. For now, again, all I feel I can offer is vague hand waving.

I think we can safely move the Vita Doomsday Clock to 11:58 until a price drop hits the market (not when it is announced, but when it is enacted).

After that, we'll see.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What is it with Apple fans and this metaphor? I don't know why, but it pisses me off.

Also, calling the second biggest December ever with only three games carrying it "not that hot" is the definition of grasping at straws.

talk about standing on the shoulders of giants

Thoraxes

It's at times like these that I feel more justified in all the crazy marketing things i've said in the past that i've been doubted on.

I still say that one of the reasons the 3DS was priced so high was because of their market exclusivity on "next-generation" handhelds. They simply took advantage of early buyers and in the end compensated them too. No doubt they obviously realized that there needs to be a better way to handle this with the next systems (because regardless of what I said, they did fuck up and i'm not ignoring this point at all), but I think they probably knew going into this that should it not sell at the price they wanted to, they were going to have to make some cuts.

If the Vita had a closer release window to the 3DS, I don't think they would've had the time to test the waters out and wouldn't have launched at the higher price. Wait for some heavy-hitting Vita games to come out, and it'll get better. Also the memory card shit needs to stop.

Meier

Nope. Look at where the other PS3 games are placing. 13-2 did a fairly good job of keeping up 'some' momentum. The big sales are coming when the game is released internationally.
13-2 is one of the biggest bombs of this generation. Maybe THE biggest.

yurinka

[Nintex];33808428 said:
On consoles for sure, but Vita in Europe is pretty much one very expensive FIFA game everyone already owns.
PSP version is a best selling game too. Even the PS2 version.

Top Bottom