• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: SWTOR Has More Than 1.7 Mil Active Subs & Growing, 1 Mil Daily Users

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

From the call:

-1 million daily players.
-Server capacity doubled, which is why congestion is down.
-Average 4 hours per session.

Original:

I'm going to make this a separate thread from the rest of the EA fiscal news since I'm sure it will be a hot discussion topic.

EA said:
Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers

“We are pleased to report a strong holiday quarter driven by Battlefield 3, FIFA12 and a strong showing by our digital games and services,” said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello. "Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing.”

-Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.
Source: http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/i...gId=1012492&newsId=20120201006891&newsLang=en

Edit:

Another GAF favorite:

EA said:
-Origin™ – EA’s direct-to-consumer digital service has registered more than 9.3 million consumers and generated more than $100 million in non-GAAP revenue since launch. Origin has publishing agreements with Warner Brothers, THQ, CapCom and recently added 11 new publishing partners including Trion and Robot Entertainment.

JBuccCP

I got to level 30 with my smuggler and haven't resubbed yet but I probably will. Just have some other stuff I want to finish first.

Kusagari

wow, that few only?

I always figured the 500k number was so that they could act like the game didn't bomb, even if it didn't beat their 'real' expectations. If this game didn't get 500k subscribers it would be one of the biggest disasters in history.

Valnen

The game is amazing, and gets better with every patch. Ever since they fixed combat lag (or at least made it much better) the game plays amazingly smoothly now too. It's not quite WoW smooth but more patches are on the way. This game is definitely worthy of a subscription.

erragal

It couldn't have been two weeks ago that analysts were down on EA solely because they predicted TOR was doing worse than expected. Be interesting to see what happens to their stock today. EDIT: Or I suppose tomorrow at this point.

Was just about to post this.

My only thoughts: dayum

that's an 85% conversion rate.

2M sales month 1 . Then factor in the free month of January. Now into Feb.

That is pretty damn good.

Over 9000 I think.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe the numbers are that high as of now.

These numbers are current as of December 31st, 2011, right? At that point, anyone who had purchased and signed up for the game counted as an "active subscription".

These numbers are current as of December 31st, 2011, right? At that point, anyone who had purchased and signed up for the game counted as an "active subscription".

The 1.7m active subscribers number refers to 1.7m people who have paid for at least 1 month.

Edit: It's actually not 100% clear when I re-read. But I'd heard the number 80% being thrown around even before this, so it still leads me to believe this is actual paying customers

Wallach

Well, Aion had 1 Million in the US alone after 2 months, most subscribers for those games come from Asia so I dunno.

Aion also had amazing growth by any standard, and SWTOR seems to be outpacing their NA numbers pretty significantly.

You're right that games like Lineage and Aion get most of their numbers from Asia in terms of global subscribers, and those numbers are harder to interpret because their profitability from those subscribers is lower comparatively (much like WoW).

Spookie

If they are current it's respectable but I'll be more interested 3-6 months down the line when the honeymoon wears off and we begin to get other new releases to attract peoples attentions.

Patryn

I don't believe it.

And I'm saying this as a person who absolutely loves the game and has been playing it pretty much every day (over 150 hours logged thus far).

Last night, at 9 p.m., there were under 100 people in the Republic Fleet on Keller's Void. In the week after release, there was never under 120 at prime time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The 1.7m active subscribers number refers to 1.7m people who have paid for at least 1 month. It has nothing to do with December 31, 2011 as their fiscal year is not based on the calendar year.

I don't have time to read through the whole press release, but did EA define "active subscribers" as such somewhere in it or on the conference call?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

Exactly, those stats aren't necessarily reflective of the game's current number of active subscribers. Everyone should be careful of reading too much into corporate statements.

I don't have time to read through the whole press release, but did EA define "active subscribers" as such somewhere in it or on the conference call?

You're right, it actually needs clarification.

However, keep in mind that many people who purchased the game also purchased a 30-day game code or at least paid for 30 days of game time up front. So it doesn't surprise me that the numbers are quite high.

erragal

I don't believe it.

And I'm saying this as a person who absolutely loves the game and has been playing it pretty much every day (over 150 hours logged thus far).

Last night, at 9 p.m., there were under 100 people in the Republic Fleet on Keller's Void. In the week after release, there was never under 120 at prime time.

So people play heavily the first couple weeks the game is out and then less regularly as they stop rushing to 50 and treat it more casually? Perhaps they are playing a couple days a week during nonpeak hours as well? Maybe some of those people are playing new characters? Maybe they aren't even on the fleet?

I don't understand why the only possible logical reason in your mind that the population would be down on the fleet is that no one is subscribing to the game. You don't have ANY real data to support that at all so it's a pretty extreme conclusion to come to.

EDIT: And certainly there are -less- people playing than there are at launch. Even their numbers indicate it's 15% less people playing. I just don't get how anyone can come to a conclusion based on exactly one anecdotal datapoint.

bestami

Well fleet population gets smaller every day on my server and my guild gets smaller everyday. I don't think this game will go F2P soon but i doubt it's gonna maintain that many subscriptions.

Patryn

So people play heavily the first couple weeks the game is out and then less regularly as they stop rushing to 50 and treat it more casually? Perhaps they are playing a couple days a week during nonpeak hours as well? Maybe some of those people are playing new characters? Maybe they aren't even on the fleet?

I don't understand why the only possible logical reason in your mind that the population would be down on the fleet is that no one is subscribing to the game. You don't have ANY real data to support that at all so it's a pretty extreme conclusion to come to.

I'm saying that from what I've seen, while the game definitely isn't a ghost town that some people make it out to be, it certainly doesn't have the population it did at release.

I'm also saying that I, personally, don't believe the numbers.

Wallach

No. That is made pretty clear:

Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.

By December 31st, 2011 the game was not out for "a little over one month", it had been less than two weeks. We are currently one month and eleven days post-launch, they're pretty clearly talking about standing numbers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT: And certainly there are -less- people playing than there are at launch. Even their numbers indicate it's 15% less people playing. I just don't get how anyone can come to a conclusion based on exactly one anecdotal datapoint.

Obviously he only has anecdotal evidence, but in games that succeed (EverQuest, WoW) and continue to grow after launch, things tend to get busier and more crowded rather than slower after launch.

Moaradin

There almost 300 people on the fleet on my server (Swiftsure), and it's actually the most full during very late hours since there are a lot of oceanic players.

Dorrin

I don't believe it.

Have to agree here, I rerolled off of Thana Vesh due to the population declining. I also think there is a lot of fuzziness here with the December 31st date as well as what is an 'active subscription'. When you redeem your code you have to set up your subscription, so I was technically 'active' but wasn't charged until 1/20.

Kalnos

Banned
No way they retained that many people. Though, a ton of people who bought it in late December would have just had their free time end.

No. That is made pretty clear:

By December 31st, 2011 the game was not out for "a little over one month", it had been less than two weeks. We are currently one month and eleven days post-launch, they're pretty clearly talking about standing numbers.

That's a good point. Something about that wording made me feel like they were talking about current numbers, but I think you've just quantified exactly what it was. Also the fact that they say "has generated" suggests that they are using current numbers for active subscriber base.

Are you actually on the conference call Nirolak? Want to ask? :)

Obviously he only has anecdotal evidence, but in games that succeed (EverQuest, WoW) and continue to grow after launch, things tend to get busier and more crowded rather than slower after launch.

It's usually like this:

1) Huge spike up on launch day
2) Modest spike down in the 2-4 weeks following launch
3) Gradual ramp up

erragal

I'm saying that from what I've seen, while the game definitely isn't a ghost town that some people make it out to be, it certainly doesn't have the population it did at release.

I'm also saying that I, personally, don't believe the numbers.

Imperial Fleet population on Death Wind Corridor has held steady at 150-200 people for the past 3/4 weeks virtually every night. It was 250 about two weeks after launch (And actually lower before that since most people weren't on the fleet).

I don't get what there is to disbelieve about the numbers. They didn't try to flub the game; they waited until 02/01 WELL after everyone that purchased the game the initial two weeks has had to subscribe before attempting to post and they even posted their sellthrough AND their numbers showing that there has been -a- drop in population but not a drastic one.

My point is there's more data pointing to the idea that the game has a healthy population that anecdotes about "Fleet population is down zomg" seem a bit unnecessary.

Good for SWTOR. End game raiding and encounter design is awful though. One thing they should learn from WoW. I'll be back if it becomes more interesting and or challenging.

Top Bottom