• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

Ferrari isnt looking too good at the moment.
Autosport said it looked like Mass was pushing the car quite hard, but yet it still doesnt seem too quick.

And theyve got the viz flow out again!

(I know i shouldnt read into these testing times, but its hard not to :p)

lol, i dont think we have massa fans here.
Hey I'm a Massa fan! :(

Honestly and obviously, Massa will always be squeezed out as a number two.
Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint1.jpg

h3ro

Interesting duct under the nose in the RB8. Cooling for drivers... sure.

Also, Mclaren, you can just edit your post to add in the other pics instead of double posting so close in succession.

I bet this supposed "dog" that Ferrari puts out looks a lot different in Fernando's hands tomorrow. I think they're just being very conservative with the car right now, getting to know the ins/outs of how it responds to different conditions, temps, etc as well as coming to grips with the new front suspension setup. But of course, that won't stop the British press from having a good time.

Oooh well spotted! I dunno if anyone else has picked up on that - you should send it around the motorsport websites... news will spread quickly and they'll have to question Newey about it again.

Lucius86

Banned
It's funny how F1 attracts totally different people.

I am interested slightly in the aero and technical stuff, purely to marvel at, but this is way overkill for me. The racing action is what gives me a hard-on, not spotting an air hole.

Also says a lot about the personalities we have here I think.

S. L.

Oooh well spotted! I dunno if anyone else has picked up on that - you should send it around the motorsport websites... news will spread quickly and they'll have to question Newey about it again.

obviously it is for cooling the driver, there are very hot races in the calender and newey thought it is important to keep the drivers cool with two slots ;P

it is a natural evolution from one slot -> two slots

Adamm

I am interested slightly in the aero and technical stuff, purely to marvel at, but this is way overkill for me. The racing action is what gives me a hard-on, not spotting an air hole.

True, I love that aero stuff! :D

Also when I tell people i like F1 they assume im into all motorsport & big into cars, but im not - its just F1 I like.

NHale

Ferrari isnt looking too good at the moment.
Autosport said it looked like Mass was pushing the car quite hard, but yet it still doesnt seem too quick.

And theyve got the viz flow out again!

(I know i shouldnt read into these testing times, but its hard not to :p)

Times don't matter but body language does. According to some people at Jerez, Ferrari crew wasn't particularly happy yesterday unlike McLaren's...

And while it's normal to use viz flow on the first day of testing to confirm if wind tunnel gave accurate results (especially considering Ferrari's wind tunnel debacle last year) using it today shows me that they are really trying to understand something. Or maybe they are taking sandbagging to a higher level.

Indeed. But what's great is that everything all ties together

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
When they look at something like that it's about deciding whether any aerodynamic advantage is incidental, right?

Use of flowviz usually means that something about the aerodynamics isn't performing as expected, and they want to see why by having a visual indication of airflow. Wind tunnels and CFD only get them so far because the windtunnel is a controlled environment, whereas on the track they will have crosswinds, headwinds and tailwinds, and bumps/elevation to deal with too, something that generally isn't simulated by the controlled environments.

The closer their test environments match the real world scenarios , the less flowviz is needed to be used, but they'll all use some.

Personally I wouldn't read much into it yet, however if by the end of the Barca tests they are still using it, that could signify issues.

Dilly

Banned
If only Williams spend time on making the car fast instead of making the rear as tight as possible, they actually could be competitive!

This sentence sounds dirty.

Septimius

Do you guys feel the Schumacher's quickness today comes from knowing the car, or will the ban of exhaust-blown diffusers really mean much for lap times? Obviously it's a mix of the two, but at what ratio?

What will Mercedes be busy testing with their old cars? Simulation data? New tires?

S. L.

Do you guys feel the Schumacher's quickness today comes from knowing the car, or will the ban of exhaust-blown diffusers really mean much for lap times? Obviously it's a mix of the two, but at what ratio?

What will Mercedes be busy testing with their old cars? Simulation data? New tires?

with the blown diffuser it should be the fastest car on the track... also i guess it is mainly about behavior of the new tyres. Maybe they can test some wings as well.

they said they're testing tyres. But you can't believe anyone in winter testing

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Historically, 1:18's & 1:19's are not that fast either, to give you an idea of how much the cars have actually slowed in recent years Schumacher and Pedro de la Rosa were running 1:15's at Jerez from 2004 to 2006.

Turns out their old car is in fact their 2012 car.

Whatatwist.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
McLaren day two report.
Jenson’s second day of testing with MP4-27 and another day spent getting used to the new chassis and evaluating a series of braking, set-up and software changes made to the car – particularly the effect on balance and stability at both high and low speeds.

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team manager David Redding said: “Despite the cold and windy conditions, Jenson was able to log further mileage with MP4-27 today. It’s still early days, and this was very much an exploratory day, but we were able to get a useful understanding of how the car behaves and reacts out on the track.

Pos Driver Constructor Time Laps
1 Michael Schumacher Mercedes AMG  1m18.561 132
2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m19.184 97
3 Daniel Ricciardo Scuderia Toro Rosso 1m19.587 100
4 Jules Bianchi Force India F1 1m20.221 46
5 Kimi Raikkonen Lotus 1m20.239 117
6 Paul di Resta Force India F1 1m20.272 69
7 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.454 95
8 Jenson Button Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m20.688 85
9 Sergio Perez Sauber 1m20.711 68
10 Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m21.197 97
11 Heikki Kovalainen Caterham F1 1m21.518 139
12 Pedro de la Rosa HRT 1m22.128 64

NHale

Uh oh...

Felipe Massa has admitted that Ferrari has a lot of work to do with its new F2012 amid questions about whether or not the new car has delivered the step forward the team was hoping for.

While its main rivals Red Bull Racing and McLaren have been bullish about the early impressions of their new cars, Ferrari has been less forthcoming about the performance of its new challenger.

Speaking after his second day of running at Jerez in Spain on Wednesday, where he completed 95 laps to set the seventh best overall time, Massa admitted that there was a long road ahead for his Maranello-based outfit.

"Actually there is a lot of work," said the Brazilian. "It is a brand new car and it is not a car that we had in the last year - even at the start. It is a car that needs a lot more work, and a lot more things to try as well.

"Today I did so many laps, just trying such different things on the car. It was a day where we had to concentrate so much on the little stuff, the little things that we need to understand, where we need to collect a lot of data. And I am sure it will be like that even tomorrow - even to concentrate on the next test."

When asked if he had experienced any unwelcome surprises during testing, Massa said: "You always get them with a new car. Sometimes you don't see the result that you expect. Plus some other parts as well, you have a different direction. So I think it is just the beginning of a big job to have a consistent and competitive car."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97420

Adding this to the comments of everyone at Jerez about body language from the Ferrari crew and the behavior of the car on the track, it seems like Ferrari is in deep trouble...

Kulta

The change of KERS-battery took away some driving time from Räikkönen

Turun Sanomat 8.2.2012 01:43:05

Kimi Räikkönen's Lotus-car was a long time in the pit during the opening day of Jerez winter testing, because there was something wrong with the KERS-battery and the team had to both change it and make a thorough investigation on top of that.

– There was some small problem with the battery but nothing big. Aside from that nothing got loose from the car and nothing else like that happened. We meant to drive a bit more but we had to go to the garage and lost driving time, Räikkönen said.

Then what about you topping last year's toptime in Jerez at once?

– The teams have more and more experience year by year and different tyres. I don't know anything about the weather. And I'm not interested at all in what someone did a year ago. It doesn't mean anything this year, Räikkönen said.

Turun Sanomat, Jerez de la Frontera

HEIKKI KULTA
http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/308261.html

The bet is on!

Turun Sanomat 8.2.2012 01:30:27

I'm sitting in Jerez press room and across me is sitting Blick -magazine's veteran reporter Roger Benoit. He is both known for his stunning expertise and for being the betting agency on the paddocks.

Benoit has so far been to 618 F1-races. Sauber's walking encyclopedia is known of liking Kimi Räikkönen. Kimi's performance in Jerez made a huge impact on him too.

However the discussion led to the point where we weren't at all of the same opinion of Kimi's chances with this new Lotus-car.

As an endresult we made a bet, what else could we do. I believe that Räikkönen is among the top 8 when the season ends. Benoit doesn't believe that.

I told Lopez about my bet. The sunny man from Luxembourgh nodded and smiled widely believing that I would win. As a matter of fact Lopez thinks that Kimi might well position better than the top 8.

Räikkönen's entrance in Lotus has made a huge impact on the team-crew. The technical management is praising and telling how surprised they were over the very positively accurate feedback that Kimi gives. Kimi has even made more accurate work than Robert Kubica when scanning the engine.

Even the fastest time doesn't tell anything about Lotus competitiveness. One can make bad times with a bad car too if they want - like Rubens Barrichello's last year's fastest time with Williams in Jerez brutally proved.

This was only only the first testing day with the new cars. If something has surfaced it was the Ferrari-crew's embarrassed being sending a message that the fanfared F2012 doesn't seem to be any jackpot afterall - far from it.

Turun Sanomat, Jerez de la Frontera

HEIKKI KULTA

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/kolumnit/308257.html

Ice cream eating and other strange Räikkös-questions

08.02.2012 14:16

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/1024px/2011/004/1330944-max555x555.jpg

Kimi Räikkönen's press conferences in Jerez have interested the international reporters really much.

During a couple of days they had already asked him about many things. MTV3.fi collected some of the strangest questions:

Quote:

- Have you talked with Ferrari's employees like Massa for example? an Italian reporter asked Räikkönen.

- I said hi to him and he said hi to me when I saw him in the hotel this morning, Kimi replied.

Quote:

One reporter wanted to know if Räikkönen had missed the reporters in F1-paddock:

- We missed you but did you miss us?

- I think you missed me more, Räikkönen said and made the reporters laugh.

Quote:

Kimi was asked to compare if the atmosphere in WRC was different than in F1?

- Yes. In many ways. It doesn't change anything by talking about it. It's a different sport. They have a different way of doing things. Those all make the atmosphere different and give a different feeling between the teams and the drivers. The drivers aren't racing each other the same way as in F1 so that alone is a big difference. It changes a lot how people treat each other, Kimi said.

Quote:

An American reporter wanted to know Kimi's thoughts about Nascar:

- You drove in Nationwide and truck-series. How seriously did you consider a career in US?

- If I could still live in Europe then I would probably had continued there but I would have to live in US and I wasn't very interested to move there. I had fun when testing and racing those cars. They have laidback but professional people there. The cars maybe don't look so good but they are well built. Who knows, maybe I will drive there more some day, Kimi said.

Quote:

This week's most strange Räikkös-question was presented to Eric Boullier when he was asked: Do you have your ice cream storage filled for Kimi?

The question referred to Kimi's ice cream eating after he retired in 2009 Malaysia, but Boullier didn't understand the context.

- Does he like ice cream? Boullier asked before the backgrounds of the question were explained to him.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/2012/02/1491451/jaatelonsyontia-ja-muita-erikoisia-raikk os-kysymyksia

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Uh oh...

Adding this to the comments of everyone at Jerez about body language from the Ferrari crew and the behavior of the car on the track, it seems like Ferrari is in deep trouble...
It's still early days and the reports from trackside observers certainly raise some concerns, but I'm sure they'll be up there with RBR and McLaren come Melbourne. If not Melbourne, then at least the start of the European leg of the season, although that may be too late if RBR and McLaren aren't taking points off eachother.

S. L.

As an endresult we made a bet, what else could we do. I believe that Räikkönen is among the top 8 when the season ends. Benoit doesn't believe that. I told Lopez about my bet. The sunny man from Luxembourgh nodded and smiled widely believing that I would win. As a matter of fact Lopez thinks that Kimi might well position better than the top 8.
better than top 8? retroactively winning the last two WDCs? :lol

Uh oh...

dunno, wouldn't worry too much yet. unlike most other teams who have evolutionary cars the ferrari is pretty much a new car.
But if they still struggle in Barcelona that will be a different story.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
As an endresult we made a bet, what else could we do. I believe that Räikkönen is among the top 8 when the season ends. Benoit doesn't believe that. I told Lopez about my bet. The sunny man from Luxembourgh nodded and smiled widely believing that I would win. As a matter of fact Lopez thinks that Kimi might well position better than the top 8.better than top 8? retroactively winning the last two WDCs? :lol
I think everyone will be shocked if Kimi finishes higher, as that would entail Lotus having a good car, something they haven't had since 2006.

S. L.

Edmond Dantès;34954796 said:
I think everyone will be shocked if Kimi finishes higher, as that would entail Lotus having a good car, something they haven't had since 2006.

this was more about the wording

NHale

dunno, wouldn't worry too much yet. unlike most other teams who have evolutionary cars the ferrari is pretty much a new car.
But if they still struggle in Barcelona that will be a different story.

Well... a Brazilian reporter just tweeted this:

E o Massa já diz, com outras palavras, que o carro da Ferrari não é lá essas coisas... #F1

Which basically means that he said in other words that the Ferrari car is not looking all that great...

Not exactly the usual bullshit drivers say after winter testing where every car feels great.

Use of flowviz usually means that something about the aerodynamics isn't performing as expected, and they want to see why by having a visual indication of airflow. Wind tunnels and CFD only get them so far because the windtunnel is a controlled environment, whereas on the track they will have crosswinds, headwinds and tailwinds, and bumps/elevation to deal with too, something that generally isn't simulated by the controlled environments.

The closer their test environments match the real world scenarios , the less flowviz is needed to be used, but they'll all use some.

Personally I wouldn't read much into it yet, however if by the end of the Barca tests they are still using it, that could signify issues.

Sorry for being unclear, but I was talking about the vent on the bottom section of the RB8 nose.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Massa is dissapointed with car for sure, because it is made for that spanish driver and not for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom