• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian leaves Capcom USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

branny

This is depressing. =\

If Capcom actually does back out of fighting games again due to their corporate suits having zero sense on how to manage communities and markets, the FGC is far better insulated against decline in the US than it was before. As I said the biggest thing is getting Capcom people to actually realize there are other games.

Well this is a shocker. This might be a sign that things aren't going well at Capcom. I'm uncertain about the future of Capcom fighters and the FGC. Best of luck to you Seth.

shaowebb

Sega's been fairly good lately, unless I am missing something.

You have missed EVERYTHING apparently. They shutdown the American branch, put out a massive thing saying they were shutting down all titles not on a very short list of profitable titles they would be focusing on, and they just split the company in half to focus on a digital and social branch in hopes to make profit on that market instead. I'm not certain where F2P might be factoring in on their current stuff either, but the company (in spite of making some fun stuff lately) hasn't been doing well and are desperately trying to reformat how they do business and what their focus should be in game development.

Its not THQ bad, but its pretty rocky right now and who knows how thing will land once they fully implement the new model. It'll either work or it wont. Either way they got some work ahead of them that is really difficult.

You have missed EVERYTHING apparently. They shutdown the American branch, put out a massive thing saying they were shutting down all titles not on a very short list of profitable titles they would be focusing on, and they just split the company in half to focus on a digital and social branch in hopes to make profit on that market instead. I'm not certain where F2P might be factoring in on their current stuff either, but the company (in spite of making some fun stuff lately) hasn't been doing well and are desperately trying to reformat how they do business and what their focus should be in game development.

Its not THQ bad, but its pretty rocky right now and who knows how thing will land once they fully implement the new model. It'll either work or it wont. Either way they got some work ahead of them that is really difficult.

Don't forget that fact that Sega doesn't give two shits about Platinum and have fucked over the release of Anarchy Reigns so hard.

Jokes aside, I really wouldn't mind seeing what kind of games the fighting game teams at Capcom would produce if they were independent and on a smaller budget.

320px-TheRumbleFish_title.png

DIMPS.

Not surprised.

I don't think he left purely because he wanted to. Not that he got fired or something else, but probably a combination of Capcom losing the plot and making some other opportunity in Seth's life look that much nicer. Maybe their planned response to SFxT sucked...maybe the whole development process of that game sucked. I guess what I'm saying is, I blame gems.

shaowebb

Don't forget that fact that Sega doesn't give two shits about Platinum and have fucked over the release of Anarchy Reigns so hard.

I don't think they have the money to do a physical print of it yet is the thing. They still want it, but they're taking out loans and they haven't come in yet. My guess is they had to push back releases till they had their own cash ready.

Sega's in kind of a make or break scenario at the moment on profits. Things have to start doing well. Breaking even just isn't enough and they can't afford anymore losses.

Capcom isn't there yet, but they're having a massive pain getting over certain milestones lately each quarter. Losses keep popping up and Steel Battalion is most likely going to be another sore spot for them soon. Capcom needs to turn it around on profits and they definitely need all the community love they can get. Losing Seth really hurts their image since he was one of the most lovable people they had to smooth things out with fans. He made the player community feel connected and respected even in times when things weren't very pleasant. He's gonna be missed and I feel they have to find a replacement for his role to keep the fans warm on the community side. He was one of the best at making people feel like they had a voice. After losing him and some might feel their voice is gone.

fatty

Can someone please give me a summary on why SFxT was the nail in the coffin and what types of problems that Seth was having?

From my point of view: I loved SF4 because it got me back to that feeling I had in the arcades with SF2. Then SSF4 came out and I bought it. But when SF4:AE came out I said 'whoah now', it got to be too much to keep up. Add that and with UMvC3 and now SFxT, and they seemed to be getting yearly upgrades, I didn't have that incentive to pick it up when that version would soon be obsolete unless I updated. Is this basically the problem the genre is having? Since SSF4 I've been pretty much out of the scene so I'm just speculating but would love to know more.

I was thinking of picking up SFxT when it was cheaper, scores seemed to be pretty good, but many here are saying that it's crap and was the final nail in the coffin. How come? Basically just because of oversaturation? Was it the way DLC was handled? Any more background would be great.

After losing him and some might feel their voice is gone.

Look at this way, with SFxT being, by all accounts, an abject failure, Capcom may have questioned whether or not they even need a voice at all.

I'm guessing Capcom will take a wait and see approach and observe how stuff like the DC universe fighter and Tekken vs Street Fighter does before potentially bringing Ono back to work on the shelved Darkstalkers project.

Oh, I have just been paying attention the games they have recently published/developed. Didn't know about the business side of things.

I heard it was coming to XBLA/PSN. Looks really fun in spite of its aesthetics.

El Sloth

Banned
http://segaretro.org/images/thumb/f/f2/TheRumbleFish_title.png/320px-TheRumbleFish_title.png[/img

DIMPS.[/QUOTE]
Completely forgot about Dimps. Had never even heard of that game before.
[quote="Busaiku, post: 39045187"][URL="http://suge9.blog58.fc2.com/"]Vanguard Princess[/URL][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=From the blog]http://i.imgur.com/KvAlg.jpg [B]<Potentially NSFW[/B][/QUOTE]
nvm, I don't wanna know anymore.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Who is that in your avatar? I see that face posted in the chatroom during SC2 streams. Always cracked me up.

Kappa

Basically the stream monster version of trollface, if I understand correctly.

Can someone please give me a summary on why SFxT was the nail in the coffin and what types of problems that Seth was having?

From my point of view: I loved SF4 because it got me back to that feeling I had in the arcades with SF2. Then SSF4 came out and I bought it. But when SF4:AE came out I said 'whoah now', it got to be too much to keep up. Add that and with UMvC3 and now SFxT, and they seemed to be getting yearly upgrades, I didn't have that incentive to pick it up when that version would soon be obsolete unless I updated. Is this basically the problem the genre is having? Since SSF4 I've been pretty much out of the scene so I'm just speculating but would love to know more.

I was thinking of picking up SFxT when it was cheaper, scores seemed to be pretty good, but many here are saying that it's crap and was the final nail in the coffin. How come? Basically just because of oversaturation? Was it the way DLC was handled? Any more background would be great.

- The Cross-Assault reality show Controversy
- DLC being on-disc
- Said DLC being purposefully withheld on console versions so the Vita version could have an exclusive
- Capcom's patch ended up bringing along a game-breaking glitch

I think that's the majority of it. Seth had to bob and weave for Capcom the entire time and try to get people to get on board, but it simply wasn't enough. I can't say for certain that this is why he left, though. He has his own reasons, I'm sure.

Margalis

Banned
Seth was never a good fit at Capcom, it was clear that he very often said things he didn't believe and did a complete 180 on many of his strongly expressed opinions he held before joining Capcom. I'm sure some of that was gaining some perspective and seeing things from the side of the developer but some of that had to be just corporate water carrying.

It's funny to read his old posts and Domination 101 pieces then read the stuff he said while at Capcom. I find it impossible to believe that he liked the SxT gem system for example. He was in the very awkward position of having to defend and promote stuff that he almost certainly was opposed to.

I wouldn't worry about him too much.
If he's staying in the realm of PR/Community relations, he'll land on his feet and have another gig setup in no time.
Man is extremely professional, extremely knowledgeable, and will bounce back quickly.

I actually worry more for Capcom at the moment.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Vanguard Prinny owns; Max replacing Seth no thank you; Seth becoming community manger at French Bread to promote Under Night in Birth.

Dahbomb

Someone should get Seth to come live and talk about this. I am sure he has some stuff to share with the FGC in person.

El Sloth

Banned
Surprised that there hasn't been a single "He went home to be family man" joke yet.
Someone should get Seth to come live and talk about this. I am sure he has some stuff to share with the FGC in person.
Cross Counter Live or UltraChenTV maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom