• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannes IDEF event: 3DS XL hands-on, lack of AC, PokemonConquest eur, France sales etc

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
From June 26 to 28, the S.E.L.L. (French entertainment software publishers association) and Comexposium are organizing at Cannes the 7th IDEF (Interactive & Digital Entertainment Festival) dedicated to video game professionals. It's becoming a very important meeting and nearly 7 billion euros worth of business was done at this show in 2011, more than 40 percent of the European market (according to their communiqué).

During this event, a lot of representatives of the industry come to present their new products, including Stephan Bole from Nintendo France.

Here's the official page

French journalists of the leading gaming websites like www.jeuxvideo.com or www.gamekult.com were sent there and brought back interesting information (some titles are clickable and link to the source of the info):

• 3DS XL hands-on
A video from jv.com

Other impressions

They are rather positive, it's a better version for nearly every points, the overall comfort, the material used, the select/start/home buttons, the new 3D effect slider that allow more precise setup, etc. For the screens, the feedback is different from those two sources, one is impressed, witnessed no significant blur (because of the same resolution while the size increased) and better appreciated the 3D effect (with more amplitude to not lose it while moving the handled), and on the contrary the other have seen a blurring of the details, etc. Don't hesitate to use google translate to read all.

When asked about this curious decision (to not pack-in an AC adapter), the CEO of Nintendo France, Stephan Bole, talked about the desire to "not penalize the millions of owners of DS", forcing them to buy a second charger. In other words, "integrating the charger would have meant a higher price," according to the manufacturer. An explanation supported by the 150 million consoles currently in the wild, "and from that a substantial part of DSi". In France, says Chief Deputy Philip Lavoué, there would be not less than 4 million of chargers compatible with the 3DS XL.

However, those Nintendo France officials admit this absence in the 3DS XL package could generate its share of problems, in particular from uninformed customers. The firm has indicated that it was already working with the distribution to make it clear, in-store, which chargers are compatible.

• This strategy could be applied to the Wii U, according to the same article linked above
"There are 200 million Wiimotes in the world," says Stephan Bole. "This is something you must consider before deciding which devices will be sold with the console."

hint: i wouldn't read too much into that statement.

We'll have to import it from UK then

• Some sales numbers in France
A general analysis on the drop of the market, between -10 & -20% for the hardware & software

First 5 months of 2012 charts, with Diablo 3 number 1, Nintendo titles well placed, etc.

topfr1.png

700 000 Kinect in France

Nintendo total sales in France with impressive scores for the systems, also numbers for Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade, etc.

Nintendo 3DS (+ 1 million)

Super Mario 3D Land : 390 000
Mario Kart 7 : 360 000
Nintendogs + Cats : 240 000

Wii (5,93 millions)

Mario Kart Wii : 2,384 millions
New Super Mario Bros. Wii : 1,36 million

Nintendo DS (10,5 millions)

New Super Mario Bros. : 1,929 million
Nintendogs : 1,87 million
Mario Kart DS : 1,514 million

You can browse french websites to read other news from this event, mainly hands-on of games already presented at E3.

When asked about this curious decision (to not pack-in an AC adapter), the CEO of Nintendo France, Stephan Bole, talked about the desire to "not penalize the millions of owners of DS", forcing them to buy a second charger. In other words, "integrating the charger would have meant a higher price," according to the manufacturer
This is so silly.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Nice op.

Kid Icarus Uprising: 50,000
Xenoblade: 48,000
Inazuma Eleven: 103,000
Inazuma Eleven 2: 106,000

Thanks, yeah those sales numbers are rather impressive for the french market, especially Inazuma. According to Lavoué, it's when the anime was broadcasted on Gully (a tv channel dedicated to animation widely available, on the contrary to Disney XD where it was before) in december that the sales of the first title exploded. The second one already exceeded it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
France not getting Pokemon Conquest? NoE still does some stupid shit.

WillyFive

When asked about this curious decision (to not pack-in an AC adapter), the CEO of Nintendo France, Stephan Bole, talked about the desire to "not penalize the millions of owners of DS", forcing them to buy a second charger. In other words, "integrating the charger would have meant a higher price," according to the manufacturer. An explanation supported by the 150 million consoles currently in the wild, "and from that a substantial part of DSi". In France, says Chief Deputy Philip Lavoué, there would not less than 4 million of chargers compatible with the 3DS XL.

How stupid.

This is something you need for it to work, not like some SD card.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
France not getting Pokemon Conquest? NoE still does some stupid shit.

Furthermore when we see the sales number of other titles localized for our market, it's pretty non-negligible, and with the attraction of the Pokemon franchise, this title could have done well here. Let's hope they will change their mind.

The amount of headaches they're going to cause over what probably amounts to a dollar's worth of plastic/electronics is staggeringly stupid.

But think about it, Nintendo consoles always sell in the millions, so this decision will likely save them millions of dollars!

Plus I can't think of any other electronic device that didn't come with a charging cable, Nintendo has literally invented a new source of revenue.

Edit: The SD card comes mandatory? couldn't they just do a 2 gig card and keep the cable ?

But think about it, Nintendo consoles always sell in the millions, so this decision will likely save them millions of dollars!

Plus I can't think of any other electronic device that didn't come with a charging cable, Nintendo has literally invented a new source of revenue.

Edit: The SD card comes mandatory? couldn't they just do a 2 gig card and keep the cable ?

iPods (even the Touch) dont come with a charger, but they do come with a USB charging cable. If Nintendo made it possible to charge it via USB this would be far less of an issue.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
They'll do it like the PS2-Memory Cards situation, warning on the 3DS package that you'll need a charger, and putting the latter in flashy box prominently placed on the 3DS shelves, next to the handled ones when they are not in the stockroom.

RooMHM

How stupid.

This is something you need for it to work, not like some SD card.
People of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft France and Europe always try to justify every shit move of their worldwide scale higher-ups. It's not the first time their arguments are laughable, they ALWAYS do that.

Jackano

Seriously the lack of AC adapter is a good decision.
It's good for ecology things. Years ago greenpeace and others pointed out the fact of mobile phone AC adapters was a giant mess to recycle and there are millions of them every year.

I'm not into the "save the planet" thing, but if I look at my random video game hardware case in my room... well, I have plenty of powering shit.
My GBA AC adapter that served also my old DS tank. Adapter from my japanese DS. USB cable paid 1,5$ on dealextreme.com for my DS Lite. Multiple USB cable/AC adapter for GBA, GBm, DS, DSLite, DSi, 3DS (which I use at office). Adapters for my japanese 3DS, japanese GBmicro, regular EU 3DS, Zelda EU 3DS. For Wii? 3 adapters. Hell I forgot other GBA adapters from my others GBA, NES edition, Zelda edition... And the 3DS docks... and a GBA AGS-101 pink one, and probably I got a last one since I have one extra red GBA. I can make a rugby team of my adapters!

I'm probably a special case since I've got many systems, but my point is, if customers have to make the decision on buying their supply method, this will lower the number of extra/useless AC adapters.
I also think this will please cheap accessory manufacturers, so if the advertising is well operated in-stores, this will not be a problem, and this ands up to be a good thing.

Tobor

It's good for ecology things. Years ago greenpeace and others pointed out the fact of mobile phone AC adapters was a giant mess to recycle and there are millions of them every year.

I'm not into the "save the planet" thing, but if I look at my random video game hardware case in my room... well, I have plenty of powering shit.
My GBA AC adapter that served also my old DS tank. Adapter from my japanese DS. USB cable paid 1,5$ on dealextreme.com for my DS Lite. Multiple USB cable/AC adapter for GBA, GBm, DS, DSLite, DSi, 3DS (which I use at office). Adapters for my japanese 3DS, japanese GBmicro, regular EU 3DS, Zelda EU 3DS. For Wii? 3 adapters. Hell I forgot other GBA adapters from my others GBA, NES edition, Zelda edition... And the 3DS docks... and a GBA AGS-101 pink one, and probably I got a last one since I have one extra red GBA. I can make a rugby team of my adapters!

I'm probably a special case since I've got many systems, but my point is, if customers have to make the decision on buying their supply method, this will lower the number of extra/useless AC adapters.
I also think this will please cheap accessory manufacturers, so if the advertising is well operated in-stores, this will not be a problem, and this ands up to be a good thing.

Un-fucking-believable. I can't believe what I just read.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

This post will go down in history. Oh my God.

You kind of could have a point... But come on, man.

Tobor

He has a valid point.

Not that Nintendo is not including an adapter for environmental reasons.

No, he does not. Most people do not hoard handhelds. They sell them or donate them, and the charger goes with them.

There is no justification for this. It's anti-consumer bullshit.

Best news here for me personally is that Pokemon Conquest will actually get a EU release. Although I'd probably have imported it eventually anyway when I had money or otherwise borrowed it, the fact that it gets a release means I'll hopefully be able to pick up down the line for at least slightly cheaper than launch price. Good to hear that the 3DS XL is getting positive initial impressions.

LQX

If the 3DSXL could work with off the shelf batteries I could understand not including a AC adapter but the fact it does not seems like terrible business decision.

I would not be surprised if they get sued a few weeks after the thing is released and then are forced to recall or mail everyone an AC adapter. Then again this is Europe, MS got fined billions for including too much.

Truth101

Banned
No, he does not. Most people do not hoard handhelds. They sell them or donate them, and the charger goes with them.

There is no justification for this. It's anti-consumer bullshit.

Not talking about hoarding handhelds, but tons of people have extra DS chargers.

Anyways being anti-consumer doesn't negate the fact it is more environmentally friendly.

They're seriously going to sell a video game system that can be played all of five hours before buying a separate device? What the fuck is Nintendo smoking?

Not including a charger is among the dumbest things ever done by a video game company. How confusing to anyone but the .01% of gamers that read this shit on a message board.

Truth101

Banned
They're seriously going to sell a video game system that can be played all of five hours before buying a separate device? What the fuck is Nintendo smoking?

Not including a charger is among the dumbest things ever done by a video game company. How confusing to anyone but the .01% of gamers that read this shit on a message board.

It says it on the package.

hwy_61

Banned
Trying to think of another instance where a company would sell a device without the means to charge said device. I've got nothing. Nintendo, you're on your own, I can't defend you this time.

impact

Banned

eQgWD.jpg

Doesn't the US version include the AC adaptor? Isn't that version still a lot cheaper, even with VAT, etc.

I still don't understand how 'keeping costs down' potentially leads to the equivalent of a $300 handheld for us Europeans.

seriously, who cares?
if they get shit for not including that damn AC, they could always stick one (in a plastic bag i.e) to the already existing 3DS XL boxes later on.

also: there's a HUGE warning sign on the boxes afair

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
If the final price of the 3DS XL will represent this economy of the AC adapter, like 189€, and the charger will be sold separately at 11€, why not, but we know it won't be the case as the prices first displayed are around 199€.

And it's a shame for Pokemon Conquest in France, ok we will be able to import it, but i think the french market deserves a better treatment than this, considering the Nintendo share, the importance and status of the brand in our country, with their titles always well placed in the charts, etc.

Top Bottom