• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Kids Sells Yu-Gi-Oh!, CW Network-Related Assets Jointly to Konami and Saban's Kidsco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Kid Networking TV blocks are dead, no one watches them. I don't see Saban doing anything to it that magically changes that.

Saban's CW Kids block (speculation)
Cubix
Cubix
Sonic X
Sonic X
Power Rangers
Power Rangers
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal
Dragon Bal Z Kai

Super block of repeats of everything outside of Zexal.

Wiseblade

Saban's CW Kids block (speculation)
Cubix
Cubix
Sonic X
Sonic X
Power Rangers
Power Rangers
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal
Dragon Bal Z Kai

Super block of repeats of everything outside of Zexal.

Power Rangers Samurai is new. And Sonic X somehow gets good ratings too, apparently.

Takao

Banned
Power Rangers Samurai is new. And Sonic X somehow gets good ratings too, apparently.

New to the CW, sure. As for Sonic X, its era may finally be coming to a close (last week's ratings for the block):

CW (Toonzai) 0.6/4 Avg. (7a-12p)

Cubix 0.1/1; Cubix 0.2/2; Sonic X 0.3/3; Sonic X 0.3/2; Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal 0.6/4; Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal 0.7/4; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.9/5; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.9/5; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.9/5; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.9/4

4Kids has already taken Tai Chi Chasers off the block as it wasn't a part of either sale.

Novid

Banned
New to the CW, sure. As for Sonic X, its era may finally be coming to a close (last week's ratings for the block):

CW (Toonzai) 0.6/4 Avg. (7a-12p)

Cubix 0.1/1; Cubix 0.2/2; Sonic X 0.3/3; Sonic X 0.3/2; Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal 0.6/4; Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal 0.7/4; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.9/5; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.9/5; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.9/5; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.9/4

4Kids has already taken Tai Chi Chasers off the block as it wasn't a part of either sale.

Still better than what CBS and the rest have to do for FCC compliance...

Part of the reason I stopped trusting the Government when it comes to these partcular issues of "wellbeing"

Takao

Banned
who is saban? what's his story?

Haim Saban made money off of selling the international rights to the background music in children's cartoons. From this money he put together his own production company Saban Entertainment which produced things like the FOX Kids block, which included shows like Power Rangers, and Digimon. Haim Saban then sold Saban Entertainment to Disney for billions. Years later Haim Saban started a new company called Saban Brands with the goal of the business to revive once successful properties. One of the first properties they bought just so happened to be Power Rangers from Disney.

FyreWulff

Still better than what CBS and the rest have to do for FCC compliance...

Part of the reason I stopped trusting the Government when it comes to these partcular issues of "wellbeing"

It's been 3 hours of required E/I since 1990. The only thing that's majorly happened since then is commercials/product mentions being cracked down upon.

The issue is with the makeup of the E/I programming itself. It's almost all aimed at preschoolers and is set up in a completely different way. Versus before where you saw shows aimed at all ages and all types of learning.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Saban Entertainment had nothing to do with that. They were just given that label because of the misinformation of the late 90s, and the hatred Saban had amongst the anime community. A separate company called Toymaker (IIRC) pitched that to Toei, who then refused because they thought that would be a waste of money when they can just dub the anime they made.

It'll always be Saban's Sailor Moon to me.

Novid

Banned
who is saban? what's his story?

Haim Saban is one of the first successful Kids Mogels, post 1970's era. He and Levy worked mostly on the music side (He-Man Intro) and worked with DiC for a time. He got Roger Corman (the B-Movie Legend) to give him some seed money to expand his business. Saban started out slow back in the early 90's on Fox, but MMPR came in and the rest is history.

He and Al Kahn, his major rival fought a proxy battle from 1998 to 2001 - ratings and business wise. This battle ended with 4Kids getting the Fox Block (because News Corp was getting out of the business for a time) And Saban ENT being sold to Disney. Saban never got to become head of Disney Animation (which was the goal Of Heyward when Saban Merged with Fox Kids Worldwide back in 1997 and DiC was owned by Disney) But Al Kahn beat them all, and if One Piece succeeded Disney and the rest will still be around, but shows like Victorous, ICarly and the like would have never gotten foothold. The only reason Spongebob is as long lasting is isnt because of a lack of talent in other shows, but because those shows are underpromoted by the strong networks and in the case of My Little Pony, is bigger than the network it runs on.

Wiseblade

It'll always be Saban's Sailor Moon to me.

As long as you're aware that you're choosing to be wrong.

Even though it really does look like something Saban would so, except for the part were it would cost more money than just redubbing the anime.

Novid

Banned
It's been 3 hours of required E/I since 1990. The only thing that's majorly happened since then is commercials/product mentions being cracked down upon.

The issue is with the makeup of the E/I programming itself. It's almost all aimed at preschoolers and is set up in a completely different way. Versus before where you saw shows aimed at all ages and all types of learning.

Who gives a fuck about that? No seriously - The FCC did E/I because of Cenorship Enforcement. Thats all i see. If it was for education we wouldnt have such dire situations in the public schools. That argument is utter bullshit. And if it was to keep away Product Metions, then why the fuck it isnt the same for Mature Series? Adults dont like it as well, and speak out against it all the time! All E/I did, was for the enivitable anime boom to take place in the mid 90's early 2000's. Then it crashed, and now we got is pre teens sucking their fucking toes for no god damn reason!

Takao

Banned

Litton's Weekend Adventures might just be for you!

I don't think anyone watches that block.

Novid

Banned
The reason I will FOREVER be against E/I is this.

Back in 1996, i remeber a syndicated program that were going to do some look into jobs that people do. This was one of the first shows that had the E/I symbol. So they were out in the junk yard. And what i saw next changed everything, because I pretty much was about to begrungly accept the fact that E/I was going to be "buisness as usual".

The two kids looked up... and they were scatted apon by seagulls.

You never seen such white hot anger from me. This is educational? Thats when i got up and (this was the early days of the Net) started reading up of the this law and i just went like what the fuck is this? Then they changed the law in 2004 for the Digital Transition, and they did an exception for sports - which is one of the reasons why Sports got more popluar over the years.

Takao

Banned
The reason I will FOREVER be against E/I is this.

Back in 1996, i remeber a syndicated program that were going to do some look into jobs that people do. This was one of the first shows that had the E/I symbol. So they were out in the junk yard. And what i saw next changed everything, because I pretty much was about to begrungly accept the fact that E/I was going to be "buisness as usual".

The two kids looked up... and they were scatted apon by seagulls.

You never seen such white hot anger from me. This is educational? Thats when i got up and (this was the early days of the Net) started reading up of the this law and i just went like what the fuck is this? Then they changed the law in 2004 for the Digital Transition, and they did an exception for sports - which is one of the reasons why Sports got more popluar over the years.

If this was the case then I'm sure you loved the ABC Kids block where every show except Power Rangers was E/I. Despite the fact that all of those shows except Power Rangers (during the 2K10 repeats) were pretty poor role models for kids, and taught them nothing, lol.

Novid

Banned
If this was the case then I'm sure you loved the ABC Kids block where every show except Power Rangers was E/I. Despite the fact that all of those shows except Power Rangers (during the 2K10 repeats) were pretty poor role models for kids, and taught them nothing, lol.

I put this to people - but during the time when Peter Jennings was alive, he did more educating children via his specials than any thing Disney did E/I before or since.

Takao

Banned
Saban Brands Partners with The CW to Launch Five-Hour Kids Television Block
National broadcast and online footprint connects and entertains kids with action/adventure and comedy programming

Los Angeles (July 2, 2012) – Kidsco Media Ventures LLC, an affiliate of Saban Brands,
will supply programming for The CW Network’s five-hour, Saturday morning kids
television block, allowing the company to create a revitalized and branded block with
powerful programming and promotion. The block will be anchored by key franchises
such as Power Rangers and Yu-Gi-Oh!, in addition to other marquee, soon-to-beannounced
action/adventure and comedy shows. The company plans to re-brand the
daypart, which will air on The CW Saturday mornings from 7 a.m. -12 p.m. starting this
fall.

“Saban Brands is back in the kids’ television business in a BIG way!” said Elie Dekel,
President, Saban Brands. “The broadcasting block represents a unique opportunity for
us to be the premier destination for action/adventure and comedy on Saturday
mornings, while delivering what kids want online and on mobile 24/7/365.”

The new block will provide the company’s programming, brands, and marketing
initiatives with access to 110 million households – a truly national audience, reaching
10 million more homes than anything delivered through cable. Furthermore, with the
broadcast entity comes a passionate and dedicated online audience of kids, thereby
providing an additional platform on which to connect with fans and viewers. A robust
new website will also be launching, providing exciting content and activities that will
keep kids engaged 24/7/365.

“We are very excited to partner with Haim Saban and Saban Brands, an individual and a
company with a celebrated history of creating and distributing world-class children’s
programming,” said John Maatta, Chief Operating Officer, The CW. “The association
with Saban and the programming and marketing they will bring to us will be a great
asset for The CW and its affiliates on Saturday mornings.”

This new partnership with The CW continues Saban Brands’ dramatic growth since
reacquiring the Power Rangers property in 2010. About to celebrate its 20th season,
Power Rangers is the brainchild of Haim Saban.

About Saban Brands

Formed in 2010, Saban Brands (SB) was established to acquire and develop a worldclass
portfolio of properties and capitalize on the company’s experience, track record
and capabilities in growing and monetizing consumer brands through content, media
and marketing. SB applies a strategic transmedia management approach to enhancing
and extending its brands in markets worldwide and to consumers of all ages. The
company provides full-service management, marketing, promotion and strategic
business development for its intellectual properties including comprehensive strategies
unique to each brand, trademark and copyright management and enforcement,
creative design, retail development, direct-to-consumer initiatives and specialized
property extensions. SB is led by a superior management team with decades of
experience in media, content creation, branding, licensing, marketing and finance. For
more information, visit www.sabanbrands.com

About The CW
The CW Network was formed as a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment
and CBS Corporation in 2006. The CW is America’s fifth broadcast network, targeting
young adult viewers, specifically young women, 18-34. The CW offers a five-night,
10-hour primetime lineup of original programming that runs Monday through Friday; a
one-hour weekday afternoon block; and a five-hour Saturday morning animation block
that delivers a total of 20 hours of programming a week over six days.

Saban Brands Contact:
Kelsey Lynch
Burson-Marsteller
310-309-6671
kelsey.lynch@bm.com

The CW Contact:
Alana Russo
The CW
818-977-5993
alana.russo@cwtv.com

WillyFive

Seems like an interesting enterprise, but how different it will be (both in content and reception) is the important part. It doesn't really matter if you can reach 10 million more kids than through cable if they won't even know how to get there.

Takao

Banned
Vortexx-600x192.png

Saban Brands to Launch Vortexx on The CW

Brand-New National Kids Television Programming Block will deliver high-impact action, exciting adventure and laugh-outloud comedy, premiering on TVs everywhere, Saturday, Aug. 25

LOS ANGELES (July 12, 2012) – Saban Brands wants kids everywhere to step into
Vortexx, a power-packed broadcast television and online destination for action,
adventure and comedy entertainment that was unveiled today. Vortexx brings all new
energy to Saturday morning television with its new five-hour programming block on
The CW Television Network. Vortexx will launch with online (www.myvortexx.com
coming soon) and mobile offerings making Vortexx available to kids whenever and
wherever they are. The television premiere of Vortexx on The CW Television Network
will be Saturday, August 25.

“Vortexx will be an entirely new platform for action-adventure fans. It will give them
more of what they want on TV and online than any other source,” said Elie Dekel,
President, Saban Brands. “Vortexx will be the new maverick in kids entertainment -
delivering a high-energy entertainment destination that delivers action and comedy
unlike any other.”

Vortexx will be a multi-platform entertainment brand destination that engages kids
through well-established properties, and provides them with a single source for
entertaining content, activities and more. The nationally-broadcast channel will be
anchored by key franchises such as Power Rangers and Yu-Gi-Oh!, in addition to other
marquee, soon-to-be-announced action/adventure and comedy shows. The brandnew
programming block will air on all CW affiliated stations nationwide, Saturday
mornings from 7 a.m. to noon.

“Vortexx will have the shows that our audience knows and loves, with a mix that is very
different from anything else – a programming lineup that features electrifying
moments of action and humor, and stories that feature characters that are larger than
life, but also very relatable,” said Dekel. “And when you consider the fact that Vortexx
will be so much more than a broadcast outlet – delivering what kids want online and
on mobile 24/7/365 – this new entertainment venue represents something very
exciting for brands and advertisers interested in reaching this audience across 114
million households on-air, and more online and on mobile.”

The announcement of Vortexx, which took place today at San Diego Comic-Con
International, continues Saban Brands’ dramatic growth since reacquiring the Power
Rangers property in 2010. About to celebrate its 20th season, Power Rangers is the
brainchild of Haim Saban.

About Saban Brands

Formed in 2010 as a subsidiary of Saban Capital Group, Saban Brands (SB) was
established to acquire and develop a world-class portfolio of properties and capitalize
on the company’s experience, track record and capabilities in growing and monetizing
consumer brands through content, media and marketing. SB applies a strategic
transmedia management approach to enhancing and extending its brands in markets
worldwide and to consumers of all ages. The company provides full-service
management, marketing, promotion and strategic business development for its
intellectual properties including comprehensive strategies unique to each brand,
trademark and copyright management and enforcement, creative design, retail
development, direct-to-consumer initiatives and specialized property extensions. SB
is led by a superior management team with decades of experience in media, content
creation, branding, licensing, marketing and finance. For more information, visit
www.sabanbrands.com.

About The CW
The CW Network was formed as a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment
and CBS Corporation in 2006. The CW is America’s fifth broadcast network, targeting
young adult viewers, specifically young women, 18-34. The CW offers a five-night,
10-hour primetime lineup of original programming that runs Monday through Friday; a
one-hour weekday afternoon block; and a five-hour Saturday morning animation
block.

Phoenixus

Is this whole business the reason why there hasn't been any announcement or mention of a 3DS/Vita YuGiOh game yet? Hope Konami get their arses in gear for that one.

Takao

Banned
I never got the point of showing anime that was mostly focused on action and such and censor the crap out of it.
Now we have Toonami back so there's some hope.

Becuase One Piece is a kids show and what's expected within the definition of a kids show in Japan is different than what's expected of a kids show in North America.

So this Saturday Morning block is just going to be recycled goods from years ago?

Probably. They'll air new Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal episodes, and maybe new to you Dragon Ball Z Kai but Power Rangers premieres are tied to Nick for the next few years, and Saban Brands hasn't been putting a lot of stuff into production.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, both Toonami (in some form) and Saturday morning cartoons are back? I wish I had kids.

Kids aren't supposed to watch the new Toonami, and DC Nation is awesome enough you can watch it as an adult guilt-free.

Takao

Banned
Launches next week. Zee lineup:

3t73B.png

Most of the block is new to CW stuff. New overall shows include the continuing Zexal dub and the weird WWE show that has been restricted to no moves to the throat.

LOL @ Cubix being thrown into the deal as if anyone would bother reviving that shit.

Personally the only way I'd want Duel Master revived is in the original joke dub format. The following seasons where they tried to play it straight were boring as sin.

MechaX

Man, Cubix has just been slapped onto line-ups sporadically for the past ten years. Is it just easy placement filler or are they actually convinced that they can get enough ratings for a Cubix revival (eventually)?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I spent 15 seconds wondering why four children owned any part of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise before I realized my mistake.

Takao

Banned
Personally the only way I'd want Duel Master revived is in the original joke dub format. The following seasons where they tried to play it straight were boring as sin.

Duel Masters has already been revived, and it's pretty good for what it is.

Man, Cubix has just been slapped onto line-ups sporadically for the past ten years. Is it just easy placement filler or are they actually convinced that they can get enough ratings for a Cubix revival (eventually)?

Cubix is just E/I filler that Saban got through 4Kids. None of the advertising for Vortexx even mentions the 7AM hour. They all say the block starts at 8, lol.

Takao

Banned
Apparently Justice League Unlimited is getting some interesting edits:

-The gunfire sound effects were changed to lasers.
-The thug's intent to kill the store employee, and pushing one of his partners aside was cut. As a result, so was his line about it "making him feel better" and Green Arrow's retort.
-The smoke bomb arrow going off was cut.
-Green Arrow's boxing glove arrow hitting one of the thugs in the face was cut.
-Explosion sound effects were oddly changed to lasers as well. This includes Green Arrow's exploding arrows.
-Black Canary seductively putting on her boots was cut, causing an awkward jump in the music.
Clips of some of the edits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_wKwzaCkQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3UzQomOtcI

Also, who thought the bumper at 20 seconds was a good idea? What does purple punch even have to do with Dragon Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom