• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to make digital sales figure available to the public.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-to-share-download-data/099016

The platform holder will launch New Super Mario Bros 2 and Onitore (a new Brain Training) via retail and digital at the same time.

It comes in contrast to other digital heavyweights – such as Steam – which has been resistant in sharing digital download figures with the wider market. And it will allow the industry to directly compare physical sales with retail.

The news was announced by Satoru Iwata, who was answering a shareholder question on the prospect of making physical goods - such as books and CDs - available as an incentive to buy download goods from traditional retailers.

"We would like to show the public the number of New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Onitore that have been sold by download so that those
in this industry can make the next move after finding out the consumer behaviour toward download version," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.

"When they know the size of the digital distribution market, they might be inclined to accept a certain inventory risk to try the download sales with special features."

Does anyone actually reveal digital sales figures?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is this the first mention of a localisation for Oni Training? I wonder if it will come to the US, Nintendo of America is still scared of devil imagery.

neptunes

Wouldn't anyone who really needed to know DD sales figures already have access to them in some fashion? I really don't know what they gain from revealing it to the public.

Sony is revealing them...partially.
They're giving figures which are retail shipments + digital downloads ( Gravity Rush, His Animality and our only Master Tokyo Jungle ).

All publishers give out digital downloads as part of their shipment numbers.

Tenck

Wouldn't anyone who really needed to know DD sales figures already have access to them in some fashion? I really don't know what they gain from revealing it to the public.

It's tough to figure it out when everyone is so secretive or when they release sales numbers like a bajillion years too late when almost no ones cares anymore.

Bumhead

Banned

I don't think they gain anything as such, but I guess it's nice to know. I've never known why digital sales figures aren't revealed if they're being tracked anyway.

In this specific example it's probably convenient for them to reveal just how many millions of copies NSMB2 has sold without any "hidden" or "lost" sales owing to digital.

No, that's like asking what's the point of publicly releasing sales numbers of retail titles. The point is to make it common knowledge and help everyone understand sales.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's tough to figure it out when everyone is so secretive or when they release sales numbers like a bajillion years too late when almost no ones cares anymore.

Eh, most people know the ballpark estimates for digital revenue at this point for the current platforms. Day and date revenue w/retail is a more hazy area, which is why I give major high fives to Nintendo for doing this. Awesome news.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good news, it shall be interesting to see the numbers.

Is this the first mention of a localisation for Oni Training? I wonder if it will come to the US, Nintendo of America is still scared of devil imagery.
I dont think it mention localisation of Oni Training here. This is a question from the japanese Q&A meeting.

The game will probably get a different name in the west. Although Devil World for the NES did get released in Europe with the same name, but that is a long time ago :)

I think he means game publishers. They might get access to the data directly from the companies, so there might not be much to gain to give the numbers out to the public (not that i'm complaining about it).

I honestly think they should give more incentive to go digital. There seem to be a lot of people that feel its just a doomsday waiting to happen for your purchased software. Maybe sell all first party titles a full day ahead of retail release, cheaper prices...something to make those people at least second guess going to the nearest brickshop. I won't hurt them at all, and it will give them at least a few extra sales with zero effort involved.

Sony is revealing them...partially.
They're giving figures which are retail shipments + digital downloads ( Gravity Rush, His Animality and our only Master Tokyo Jungle ).

They should show on the PS Store how much it was downloaded, something like in Google Play:

<1000
<10,000
<100,000
<1,000,000

Chunky

Sales-Age rejoice.
It'll be interesting when we have both Japanes and Western digital sales to compare.

Crayons

Banned
They aren't going to sell many DD versions of those games. Not only does that require connecting online, using credit card etc., but it will cost the same as in the store, without anything. $39.99 for a version with a physical cart, manual, and box or $39.99 for a DD version? No thanks. We all know Nintendo's idea of a sale is when they take a dollar or two of an eShop title, so I'd rather buy from Amazon.

I really don't think Iwata is saying what everyone on the Internet thinks. Iwata says this:

"We would like to show the public the number of New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Onitore that have been sold by download so that those in this industry can make the next move after finding out the consumer behaviour toward download version."

I interpret it to mean that, to prove to developers that selling your game online is a good thing, they will make an announcement featuring the sales numbers of Mario 2 or Onitore (the new Brain Age, aka Demonic Training) at some point down the line. Maybe something like, "Mario 2 sold 100,000 digitally!" or "Demon Training has 25% of its sales online," NOT a consistent releasing of sales numbers for every game like Media Create or NPD.

I could be wrong, but I can't see Nintendo release numbers like that.

rpmurphy

They aren't going to sell many DD versions of those games. Not only does that require connecting online, using credit card etc., but it will cost the same as in the store, without anything. $39.99 for a DD version or $39.99 for a version with a physical cart, manual, and box.
Of course, that's the point. The focus that Nintendo is going for with digital sales of retail titles is that they're going to push them as retail titles and not having their own shop become the dominant source of sales for these titles. They are placing incentives for retailers to stock digital versions and not as a means to destroy the retail space to be replaced with direct-to-consumer sales, but we don't know the exact details of this effort yet.

Tobor

I really don't think Iwata is saying what everyone on the Internet thinks. Iwata says this:

"We would like to show the public the number of New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Onitore that have been sold by download so that those in this industry can make the next move after finding out the consumer behaviour toward download version."

I interpret it to mean that, to prove to developers that selling your game online is a good thing, they will make an announcement featuring the sales numbers of Mario 2 or Onitore (the new Brain Age, aka Demonic Training) at some point down the line. Maybe something like, "Mario 2 sold 100,000 digitally!" or "Demon Training has 25% of its sales online," NOT a consistent releasing of sales numbers for every game like Media Create or NPD.

I think you're exactly right.

pargonta

Seems like a dangerous financial move.

They'll probably go back on the word if their digital sales fail.

what? no, it doesn't matter if it sells or not.

the point of this specific game info experiment is to tell people if it sells or not,
not to preserve good sales, pr, or momentum.

Takuhi

Exactly this. No one can be sure what Iwata meant, but it's a massive leap to assume this indicates Nintendo regularly releasing all of their sales data. They'll most likely only reveal the data that fits their messenging, just as they do for everything else.

They aren't going to sell many DD versions of those games. Not only does that require connecting online, using credit card etc., but it will cost the same as in the store, without anything. $39.99 for a version with a physical cart, manual, and box or $39.99 for a DD version? No thanks. We all know Nintendo's idea of a sale is when they take a dollar or two of an eShop title, so I'd rather buy from Amazon.
Except they're also going to be selling vouchers to redeem the eShop version of the game in stores (in other words, a method of purchasing the DD version that doesn't require credit cards and can be paid for in cash). And to be clear, I'm not referring to the currently existing all-purpose pre-paid eShop cards, which will continue to exist, but actual vouchers for the game themselves (this was announced back when they first announced that NSMB2 would be able to be bought digitally).

And even at the same price, a DD version still has certain benefits over a physical version--namely, having the game always be on the system and having no need to swap cartridges or anything, which is great for a game like NSMB2.

Of course, the actual physical copies will almost certainly make up the bulk of the sales for games like that--that's pretty safe to say. Still, it's just providing another option on top of actual physical copies, which could only increase sales overall, and in any case, as I believe is what's Iwata's really trying to get at with this, it will be interesting to find out what the size of the divide for games like NSMB2 really currently are--we're definitely not at the point where we can make a complete jump to a DD-only system quite yet, but information like this could be useful for trying to determine how far off we are from that point. Definitely interested in seeing how this breaks down.

What I wanna know is, who is going to digitally download a game on the 3DS, when it doesn't even have an account system. I know the Wii U is getting one, but is the 3DS getting one.

Ryoku

They will show that the digital market is huge, and other companies will put in resources to make digital distribution a priority while Nintendo takes up the freed up space at the retail front to advertise and sell products.

M3d10n

Nintendo will sell download codes in bulk to retailers exactly in the same way PC publishers sell CD-keys. Since download codes are much cheaper to store and ship, retailers will have greater flexibility to make sales and promotions (just like happens in the PC market).

What I wanna know is, who is going to digitally download a game on the 3DS, when it doesn't even have an account system. I know the Wii U is getting one, but is the 3DS getting one.

/raises hand

I'm hoping for accounts, but I'm not letting it rain on my parade. if something utterly terrible happens to my 3DS, I'll just raise hell on Nintendo's support line to get my stuff transfered to a new unit.

wow that is very surprising because ow boy when you ask about wiiware nintendo cuts your head off and puts you in a hole they will never find you in.

Xilium

What's the likelihood that they do this with something other than a Mario title?

Doesn't seem like a very good barometer when you're choosing a game from one of the most popular franchises ever but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Iwata said that they will expand the Nintendo Network on the 3DS, or something like that. I hope that means that accounts are coming for 3DS as well.

rpmurphy

What's the likelihood that they do this with something other than a Mario title?

Doesn't seem like a very good barometer when you're choosing a game from one of the most popular franchises ever but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.
They're doing the same for Onitore as well, says in the OP.

rpmurphy

Can someone explain this to me?

"...they might be inclined to accept a certain inventory risk"
The question from the shareholder's Q&A was asking about the possibility of getting physical extras with digital downloads of retail titles, much like how people get for special editions for retail games currently.

I believe in the whole thing with Binding Of Isaac, McMillen said that the devil imagery specifically is fine and no one has problems with that stuff.

I don't see why people are worried that they'll go back on their word here. If the DD numbers are bad they'll probably mention it in their investor reports and we'll know that DD is not doing well. Isn't the whole reason we want to know DD sales is to measure how fast the industry is moving towards it and how a game sold overall? The only bad thing I see coming out of this is if they do something like saying that digital sales were "good" instead of listing a tangible number close to what it did.

rpmurphy

DD is not so popular in Japan, used games is a market sooooo huge over there...
Yeah, that's a challenge for the digital platform. However, Nintendo is leveraging it to try to tackle some current problems with retail:

In fact, one of the challenges in the video game distribution industry in Japan is the higher inventory risk; it is a bigger challenge than ever before. Since it is common practice in this industry that retailers take the inventory risk, their profits from good sales can be easily wiped out by surplus stock. Therefore, when the sales pace of a game with a short lifespan is slower than expected, it is reasonable for retailers to reduce their prices. Previously, a retailer’s price cut was rather independent from others, but nowadays the information on a price markdown at one store is likely to affect other retailers in no time through the Internet, which results in a collapse of the market price. Consumers tend to see such a product as one with a bad reputation. In this way, some games which might have had commercial value lose their sales potential just because the proportion of the number of sales in the first week to the number of shipments is relatively small. On the other hand, something quite opposite is also happening; in fear of this, more retailers are eager for the minimum inventory levels. When you visit a store for a game only to hear from the clerk that it is now out of stock and the next shipment will not be until three weeks later, you will be discouraged to buy it. The demand sometimes does not lead to actual sales, like in the case I just mentioned. The reason we will start the digital download sales is that decreasing the inventory risk will be of great benefit to the video game business.

On the contrary--that would seem to make it an excellent barometer to me. Picking some niche game, like say Code of Princess if it ends up being released digitally, runs into the problem that because it's a niche game that only essentially the people who browse sites like NeoGAF are likely to even know exists, the figures would naturally be skewed toward what that particular niche are interested in. Getting figures for games like Onitore and NSMB2, million-seller games bought by all types of gamers, are the perfect games to show how strong the pull of DD currently is in the game market overall, and not just niches like indie games or stuff like Atlus releases and the like. In other words, because such a broad spectrum of gamers buy games like NSMB2 and Onitore, they'd be the perfect games to use to show overall, how much of a transition the video games market has currently shifted towards digital/how likely the average person who buys video games on a handheld console would be likely to buy a digital version of the game, instead of just one niche of the market or another.

Of course, these would still just be data points in the end, but they seem like they would be very relevant data-points to me, some of the best we could hope for.

Can someone explain this to me?

"...they might be inclined to accept a certain inventory risk"
Seems to be talking about this:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/120628qa/04.html
Q16: As a perk for consumers who pre-order software or purchase it in its launch period, some publishers sell packaged software with special features like a CD or a book, but in the digital distribution of other companies these special features are usually unavailable with the download version. Then we cannot help buying a packaged game for the special features despite preferring a download version. In making download versions available through both retailers and the Nintendo eShop, will this problem be solved?

A16:

Iwata: We are not currently planning to initiate the digital download sales with physical special features. This is because one of the advantages of this sales method is that retailers can sell products virtually without any inventory risk by making use of technology called POSA (Point Of Sales Activation). POSA is a computerized system where a product has no inventory value until it is processed by the POS register, and retailers have no trade payables accrued for a product until a consumer actually purchases it. More specifically, this is the system used for the Nintendo prepaid cards on the shelves at convenience stores (in Japan). We expect that digital download sales will make it easier for retailers to have a product available in their shops even when they are not certain about its sales potential.

In fact, one of the challenges in the video game distribution industry in Japan is the higher inventory risk; it is a bigger challenge than ever before. Since it is common practice in this industry that retailers take the inventory risk, their profits from good sales can be easily wiped out by surplus stock. Therefore, when the sales pace of a game with a short lifespan is slower than expected, it is reasonable for retailers to reduce their prices. Previously, a retailer’s price cut was rather independent from others, but nowadays the information on a price markdown at one store is likely to affect other retailers in no time through the Internet, which results in a collapse of the market price. Consumers tend to see such a product as one with a bad reputation. In this way, some games which might have had commercial value lose their sales potential just because the proportion of the number of sales in the first week to the number of shipments is relatively small. On the other hand, something quite opposite is also happening; in fear of this, more retailers are eager for the minimum inventory levels. When you visit a store for a game only to hear from the clerk that it is now out of stock and the next shipment will not be until three weeks later, you will be discouraged to buy it. The demand sometimes does not lead to actual sales, like in the case I just mentioned. The reason we will start the digital download sales is that decreasing the inventory risk will be of great benefit to the video game business. As some consumers are still keen on physical special features attached to only the first copies of games, both Nintendo and other publishers will try various measures to satisfy them. First of all, however, we would like to show the public the number of “New Super Mario Bros. 2” or “Onitore” (temp.) have been sold by download so that those in this industry can make the next move after finding out the consumer behavior toward download versions. When they know the size of the digital distribution market, they might be inclined to accept a certain inventory risk to try the download sales with special features. I am afraid we cannot say anything specific today and we need to carefully manage the download sales with special features because, as I mentioned, they are not a good combination in some aspects. In the distant future, furthermore, it might be a valid business model to deliver physical special features to consumers at home after they have bought something by download. We hope to continue to explore various possibilities.

watershed

Banned
I think the DD numbers will not be as good as Iwata hopes given that they are selling NSMB2 on the eshop at full retail $40. And with no account system I imagine the overwhelming majority of people will go retail, especially for that gold case pre-order bonus.

I think the DD numbers will not be as good as Iwata hopes given that they are selling NSMB2 on the eshop at full retail $40. And with no account system I imagine the overwhelming majority of people will go retail, especially for that gold case pre-order bonus.

Is the first point - NSMB2 at full retail price - confirmed anywhere? I keep on seeing it being repeated, but I've yet to see a source. And as for the second, there is an account system apparently coming for Wii U, and I imagine that - as they are talking about bringing the 3DS fully into the Nintendo Network - they would be looking at adding some kind of account system there, too. Certainly, given that they want to start selling full retail titles digitally, they're going to have to have a more robust way of dealing with purchased content considering the values involved - even if a DD title is, say, $5-10 cheaper than retail, a few titles soon adds up to a lot of money.

Somnid

I don't think the point is to show that DD is super awesome. Iwata has laid it out that each have advantages and he believes there are reasons for each to exist so this sounds more like an experiment to see how consumers are buying things. I can tell you right now that I don't expect the ratios to be the same between Oni Training and NSMB2 and I think most people do expect NSMB2 to do a huge percentage at retail but is digital going to be 1%, 5%, 10%, 25%?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What do they have to prove? If a developer is releasing games on other platforms, Nintendo don't give a shit. If developers are releasing on 3DS (and WiiU soon), then Nintendo should just change the terms of the license so that all games are ablentonbe sold via the eshop as well as retail

antonz

Nintendo must be really confident their new DD strategy is going to do well to do this.

I could see alot of smaller retailers start stocking the DD cards only with the exception of some major titles. They will certainly do so for the more niche ones instead of ordering in boxes that take up a bunch of space just have a wall section dedicated to DD cards.

The Cards and codes allow retail their share of the pie and limits their investment into stock for the backroom

Top Bottom