• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final PS3 dev kit and menu video

dalyr95

rt06.jpg

It does look like organising albums/pics will be a pain in the ass but I'm sure they'll have a dedicated album menu or something...

I really like all the menu's they've showed at E3. The typical menu with the simple line of smoke behind it that slowly moves, the simple line at the top and the bottom of the screen when you browse the net. And if I'm correct, the Singstar (?) menu is also very nice, with a bottom line that get reflected as if it's standing on a marble floor. I like minimalistic design, and this sure is one. :)

Tieno

While I think the menu and all looks very nice, I don't think it's that pratical or efficient. I was way more impressed when I saw the 360 user interface. But I probably need to see more of it.

What does impress me, more so than many other touted features is that the PS3 is (said to be) as silent as a PStwo. That is a big deal, I think, and I'm curious how they're going to pull that off. One of the things I don't like with my 360 is that it's pretty loud and I have to crank up the volume when playing games. Not a deal breaker, but it's annoying. That's a good reason for me to play multiplatform games on a ps3 (once I get it, probably after the first price drop).

Aske

I'll reserve judgement on how useful it is, but I love the aesthetic of the PS3 XMB. The 360's blades were a neat idea and they work decently enough, but I hated the look of those menus. Both developers really need to ensure their menus work reliably though - whichever glitches the least will get my vote.

dalyr95

Folders are good, yes, but a view all option where the XMB would fade out and a grid view of all your files would be a good option or something similar

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think people are jumping the gun on functionality. The nature of XMB is that features can easily be added without ruining the design. The 360's menu system is pretty much set in stone while this should allow for plenty of additional functionality. We've already seen additional functions added to the PSP and there is no doubt that the PS3 rendition of XMB will offer much more.

dark10x

wasting said:
360 can add a new blade..
Well, I was wrong then. The design of the menu suggests to me that adding another blade or two would become problematic due to the layout/design of each blade. It didn't seem like something they would do.

dark10x said:
Well, I was wrong then. The design of the menu suggests to me that adding another blade or two would become problematic due to the layout/design of each blade. It didn't seem like something they would do.

They add things all the time..

the last thing they added was the functionality of the market place.

dark10x

DreamMachine said:
They add things all the time..

the last thing they added was the functionality of the market place.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about the actual main screen (with the 4 blades). I suppose adding something may not be required, but I was talking about actually adding completely new functionality. It doesn't seem like they have as much room to grow.

Zaptruder

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about the actual main screen (with the 4 blades). I suppose adding something may not be required, but I was talking about actually adding completely new functionality. It doesn't seem like they have as much room to grow.

I get your point, but it's not quite as inflexible as you think.

If they do add new stuff, it's typically stashed into a submenu if the main screen of each blade becomes full.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The basic framework of the XMB and 360 UI is essentially the same - both having you flicking through primary content "pages" horizontally and then navigating the content itself on that page vertically, as a single column list of items for the most part. 360 UI dresses up the dead space more and uses larger font sizes to reduce the overall perception of dead space but, other than that, there's not much of a functional difference between the two approaches.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
XMB would work fine if they follow an iTunes structure. You can easily sort through thousands of songs if you just go by artist, album, etc. It would work exactly like an ipod.

CSSer

Jim said:
Can anyone else just NOT hit 1up.com lately? It just refuses to load... in any browser known to man, animal or alien. I'm certainly not behind any type of firewall.

Is it the same video as this? The working E3 PS3 XMB demo, with the browser?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aDqlNQf_nNo

The video is actually integrated with gamevideos.com. Here's the link to it:

http://gamevideos.com/swf/video.swf...d=false&runtime=49&showlogo=false&playAuto=no

edit: The video is on the left hand side of the main page at gamevideos.com.

Zaptruder

Banned
kaching said:
The basic framework of the XMB and 360 UI is essentially the same - both having you flicking through primary content "pages" horizontally and then navigating the content itself on that page vertically, as a single column list of items for the most part. 360 UI dresses up the dead space more and uses larger font sizes to reduce the overall perception of dead space but, other than that, there's not much of a functional difference between the two approaches.

Except that the XMB has greater horizontal extensibility

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
Lo and behold, GameVideos refuses to load at all now as well. :(
It's like their data center is IP filtering my domain. What the hell...
I see Rhazer Fusion was having the same problems.

You're not missing a whole lot.

The newest kit:

ps3kit1hs7.jpg

Unplug the controller from the kit, press down the middle button and the lights flash red..

ps3kit2ce9.jpg

..and then one seems to illuminate green..

ps3kit3rr2.jpg

The dev kit XMB - just 4 top level icons (including friends, strangely enough perhaps), and some text:

ps3kit4hu2.jpg

That's all there is really.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
Unplug the controller from the kit, press down the middle button and the lights flash red..

ps3kit2ce9.jpg

..and then one seems to illuminate green..

ps3kit3rr2.jpg
They do indeed flash red when he presses the button.
controller1kg2.jpg

I thought one lit green too, but the larger video shows that it doesn't.
controller2bv9.jpg

CSSer

Jim said:
Lo and behold, GameVideos refuses to load at all now as well. :(
It's like their data center is IP filtering my domain. What the hell...
I see Rhazer Fusion was having the same problems.

These are download links to wmv and mov versions.

http://download.gamevideos.com/5104/gv.com.SonyDevkitInfomercial2_720x480.mov

http://download.gamevideos.com/5104/gv.com.SonyDevkitInfomercial2_720x480.wmv

Here's a yousendit link for the wmv version:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F12459E02E5DE349

and yep, there's nothing much to see anyways.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
The dev kit XMB - just 4 top level icons (including friends, strangely enough perhaps), and some text:
Incidentally, that appears to be the in-game overlay of XMB - i.e. the equivalent of pressing the Home button on the PSP during a game. The stuff along the left side of the screen appears to be the current game interface for a multiplayer game of Full Auto and the XMB icons are layered over that. This isn't the base XMB OS, just the functions accessible in-game.

Mmmkay

kaching said:
Incidentally, that appears to be the in-game overlay of XMB - i.e. the equivalent of pressing the Home button on the PSP during a game. The stuff along the left side of the screen appears to be the current game interface for a multiplayer game of Full Auto and the XMB icons are layered over that. This isn't the base XMB OS, just the functions accessible in-game.
Yep, hence the 'Quit Game' option appearing:
interface1tz8.jpg

Jim

kaching said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. that's definitely demoing the "in game" usage of the XMB. That would explain the lack of the background wave.
You can see options within the XMB for "Users", "Game" -> "Quit Game", "Settings" and "Friends". They should have expanded the others to see what was beneath them. Hah at the little smileys on some of those icons.

Also, that muzak rocked.

I wonder if the XMB is programmable for game developers. The main XMB menu from E306 has a heck of a lot of options, but that in-game XMB shot shows less icons on the menu, but the ones that remain are still game-related to some degree ("friends", for example).

EDIT: TOO F****S*DF&*SD(F&(S*DF LATE.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mmmkay said:
Yep, hence the 'Quit Game' option appearing:
Heh, I just watched the streaming version...none of the text was nearly as clear as that for me. That's definitely what it is then.

dark10x

Ohh, I like the way they are handling the "in game" XMB options. It would have been nice if PSP had such an option (though ram may have been an issue), but I'm glad it's here.

It looks very slick and hopefully will operate smoothly, unlike the 360 in-game blade (which runs terribly slow with certain games). I also appreciate that it appears directly over the game.

What would be especially neat looking would be a nice depth of field effect applied to the entire screen when the XMB is called up (a smooth fade). If developers can then customize which icons appear (along with standard icons) that would be even better.

That pic with the music options is VERY cool looking as well and I hope the final machine has a similar appearance. I've never been a huge fan of the giant, bold, colorful look that MS chose for 360. It's not bad, but it's not great either. It's very "WinXP", but even bolder. The giant fonts and soft edges aren't my favorite.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:

Hadn't thought of that, it makes sense. Presuming the application does not control what parts of the XMB are exposed, hopefully Sony will keep adding more in-game functionality.

Mmmkay

One thing to note though, and it may just be down to the current revision of the OS, but the 'game' is not paused while the user was operating the in-game XMB. The 'Event: Custom Event' option that is highlighted continuously blinks during operation of the XMB.

Mmmkay said:
One thing to note though, and it may just be down to the current revision of the OS, but the 'game' is not paused while the user was operating the in-game XMB. The 'Event: Custom Event' option that is highlighted continuously blinks during operation of the XMB.

I don't think the PSP pauses when you hit the home button, so I wouldn't expect the PS3 to do the same (how does one pause an online game, for example).

dark10x

Diablos said:
MS dashboard is certainly more impressive. It's just a menu, though.
It's basically the same thing, though...just loaded up with giant fonts and oversized panels. They both share the same horizontal category navigation with the vertical option navigation. Same functionality, different look. The MS dashboard just LOOKS ultra beefy in comparison.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mmmkay said:

It isn't standard on the 360 too. I can't decide what I like better. In some games, I want the time to continue running, but in others I need the action to stop. Maybe the developer will get to pick.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
typo said:
(how does one pause an online game, for example).

Was gonna say, and this does seem to be in an online mode when the screen was taken. Anyway, presuming start pauses a game and the middle button brings up the xmb, they aren't necessarily dependent. The user could perhaps decide to hit start to pause, and then bring up the xmb, or bring up the xmb without pausing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mmmkay said:
Well, that wouldn't be definitive by itself, it would depend on the pause behavior of the game - some games still have active effects when paused.

kenta

Has no PEINS
kaching said:
Well, that wouldn't be definitive by itself, it would depend on the pause behavior of the game - some games still have active effects when paused.
The PSP doesn't pause the game when you hit Home, either, it's just an overlay.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jim said:
They should have expanded the others to see what was beneath them.
On the PSP the icons auto-expand when you move the focus to them, so that suggest they just haven't implemented anything under the Users, Settings or Friends icons in this OS build yet.

teiresias

Zaptruder said:
Except that the XMB has greater horizontal extensibility

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it would seem XMB has greater horizontal "extensibility" since its top level horizontal menu can be as long as it needs to be, whereas isn't the X360 dashboard limited by how many blades you can pile onto one screen and still have their names visible? I don't have extensive experience with either one so I'm just asking.

I really prefer the clean look of the XMB over the X360 dashboard though, it appeals to my aesthetic sensibilities more.

Mmmkay

kaching said:
Yeah, you're right. It was just an observation really. Since the OS has dedicated resources it make sense that the game could freely play on while you're browsing the menu. It will be probably be down to the game itself whether it decides to pause when you press the PS button.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
teiresias said:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it would seem XMB has greater horizontal "extensibility" since its top level horizontal menu can be as long as it needs to be, whereas isn't the X360 dashboard limited by how many blades you can pile onto one screen and still have their names visible? I don't have extensive experience with either one so I'm just asking.
That's exactly what he meant.

Either UI is as extensible as it needs to be, regardless, just that one might do that more along the horizontal while the other will do it with more nesting of options. Either way, there'd be a point where adding too much would become very unwieldy.

dark10x said:
It looks very slick and hopefully will operate smoothly, unlike the 360 in-game blade (which runs terribly slow with certain games).

last i know xmb reserved 3x more ram, 1 full spe, 1 part ppe. it better be smoothly unlike 360 blades i think used only 32mb ram and 5% ppe2 and ppe3?

i think there were debates on these extravagent chunks in a limited environment reserved for just a menu?

bud

firefoxsux said:
last i know xmb reserved 3x more ram, 1 full spe, 1 part ppe. it better be smoothly unlike 360 blades i think used only 32mb ram and 5% ppe2 and ppe3?

i think there were debates on these extravagent chunks in a limited environment reserved for just a menu?

isn't that like a tad too much?

Top Bottom