• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2012 Debut Trailer for "Routine". First Person Space Horror

Karuto

Floppy Discs? THE HORROR!

Looks very interesting. Picking up where Dead Space (unfortunately) left off, it seems.

From the website:
Routine is a first person horror exploration game set on an abandoned Moon base. Your job is to find enough data to uncover the truth behind the strange disappearance of everyone stationed on the Lunar Research Station.

• A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
  • Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
  • There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!

Perma death huh? Sounds interesting.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
The idea of an open world space horror game with no focus on weaponry is really appealing to me.

I really hope these guys can pull this off. Won't be easy!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks nice, if indie-ish. It reminds me of Moon. Not the DS game, well, that too I guess but I never played it, there was an old UT2004 mod that I think was called Moon and it had a similar premise but didn't go very far, though it got some demo release, but it showed potential. Edit: it was called Hollow Moon, not just Moon. It was in black and white and with no sound.

Edit: some of this thing's features sound a bit like ZombiU.

Presentation of the trailer super rad but I feel like there's a bit of a dissonance between the vintage space opera style they're channelling and the graphics. But the editing and elements there seem pretty sound to me.

If they want to go out of the box Unreal Engine space marine with a twist, that's valid but at the same time I'd rather see someone do the whole 9 when it comes to the art and make something that channels 2001 like Moon did. Than try to be all things to all sci fi fans.

Also appears to be a super independent maybe student project. I see a lot of these and they never go anywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0m0BLakftM here's another one.

KSai

I like it. From the old television logo to the floppy discs and the cheap-looking NASA technology. Retro moon rocks!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
At first I was like nah floppy disks, LAWL

Then the camera panned to it, I'm like yep, shit about to go down

Nothing works, bust out that floppy, ninja star style, use it as a weapon!

Aside from the floppies this looks and sounds pretty interesting. Any word on the platform?

From their Facebook page that I accessed through their site, it looks to be PC only.

Here's the page:
https://www.facebook.com/lunarsoftware

Here's the quote:
"Lunar Software Kristoffer Nilsen: We can only develop for PC and MAC at the moment! we are a small team of 3 and don't really have the funds to get dev kits for the consoles :(!" - Lunar Software

Roo

^ that sucks. This game looks promising

Apollo 18 is that you?

no, seriously, it looks intriguing :p

Presentation of the trailer super rad but I feel like there's a bit of a dissonance between the vintage space opera style they're channelling and the graphics. But the editing and elements there seem pretty sound to me.

If they want to go out of the box Unreal Engine space marine with a twist, that's valid but at the same time I'd rather see someone do the whole 9 when it comes to the art and make something that channels 2001 like Moon did. Than try to be all things to all sci fi fans.

Also appears to be a super independent maybe student project. I see a lot of these and they never go anywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0m0BLakftM here's another one.

My hopes...

Sentenza

Everyone here keeps namedropping Dead Space but all I'm thinking about is System Shock 2.
If this is even half of what that game was, I'm going to freak out.

Ianan

This is actually made by my Games Design tutor in University! Awesome!
I just let him know that you guys are liking the look of it, he is really excited with the impressions its getting :D

ambalek

The company's audio signature sounds like Boards of Canada, I've watched that intro part more times than the rest of the trailer :X

1-D_FTW

Yeah I mean it sucks because it has promise and even as a short 1-2 hour mod experience it would be cool. But all it takes is for one of those 3 team members to be hired by a game company and it all falls apart. Here's to hoping.

Based on the video, I'm sure they could turn it into a job pretty easy. But if they truly have the ability to deliver on the project, I think history has taught them that underground success' can become wildly profitable. So I doubt they'd abandon it unless it has no chance of ever delivering as a finished product.

ShaneB

This could be pretty awesome. The Perma-death can be plus and negative though. There's no doubt it will add a hell of a lot of tension and terror, but I wonder if this will be a 2/3 hour game you can beat in one sitting so that if you die, you aren't cursing and screaming and never play again.

Top Bottom