• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Live Wii U Special 6-8 PM EST

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If ZombiU is an ok game, and they're sticking to this embargo policy, consider them dumb. I'm looking around for other games I might want to pick up on launch day. Without impressions I won't consider ZombiU.., and if they come on or after launch day, it's too late for launch fervor.

ASIS

hm well right now after watching that being realistic at the current moment the system seems soso.

For me, all the other features (Miis, Miiverse, TVii, hell even the gamepad) aren't really that important. I just know we will get excellent games from Nintendo and third parties on this system, just like past Nintendo consoles and hopefully even more this time around.

What IS disappointing about the Wii U, and I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else, is the loading times in the OS. Maybe its ok with Sony and MS's consoles. But accessibility is one of the most important elements of Nintendo hardware, having a loading screen even for entering the settings is just.... very unusual of Nintendo.

Thinking about it now, both Wii U and 3DS seem to go against Nintendo's philosophies for the most part. I realize the ideas were there long before the consoles existed, but I feel like they have compromised just a bit too much this time around.

Margalis

Banned
Regardless of his hyperbolic assumptions, i kind of see where he's going with this. Why wouldn't developers lift the embargo earlier so that the game earns more publicity? Why wait so long?

Because publishers are trying to move to a point where reviews are irrelevant.

Almost every publishers is moving more towards pre-order bonuses, pre-order bonuses that time out before launch date, limited run special editions, etc. Couple that with these embargoes and you have a situation where people purchase a game well before reviews are available.

If you have embargoes but then drop them only for good games people will wise up and realize the other games are bad. If you have an across the board policy that encourages extremely late reviews there's no recourse from consumers or reviewers.

StuBurns

Banned
Because publishers are trying to move to a point where reviews are irrelevant.

Almost every publishers is moving more towards pre-order bonuses, pre-order bonuses that time out before launch date, limited run special editions, etc. Couple that with these embargoes and you have a situation where people purchase a game well before reviews are available.

If you have embargoes but then drop them only for good games people will wise up and realize the other games are bad. If you have an across the board policy that encourages extremely late reviews there's no recourse from consumers or reviewers.
That makes sense, but the stream seemed to imply it was only ZombiU that had that embargo, and it's not the only Ubisoft game. So maybe they didn't specify Ubisoft because the other games from them aren't as high profile, but if it is a different embargo for those other games, there isn't the standardized time you're suggesting.

There are positive reasons you'd want to delay a review embargo too though, if eveyone's goes up nine hours before yours, you're the review feature on the main page of a site for hours, unlike the flood for that 12AM moment.

My point was never the time (although if it differs from the other Ubi games for Wii U, there must be a reason), it was that Shane was irritated about it and seemed to suggest it was a hindrance, maybe that just because he wants everything up at once, but I think it was more likely suggesting the game is bad and he wants to let people know. I guess we'll see in a couple of days.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
They showed you that the discs were round! GAWD!

I sorta missed the bit after my tweet was read coz I was laughing so I just watched it now. I'm super surprised (read: sceptical) that they couldn't find any tweets complaining about the disc mistake. The hashtag had been full of them ever since they made it.

RagnarokX

I sorta missed the bit after my tweet was read coz I was laughing so I just watched it now. I'm super surprised (read: sceptical) that they couldn't find any tweets complaining about the disc mistake. The hashtag had been full of them ever since they made it.

Well, they looked, and they didn't see anything about the discs being any shape other than circular :p

boiled goose

good with gravy
Embargos for reviews till after the game comes out is some serious unacceptable BS.

Gaming journalism and reviewers really need to set some standards and guidelines and force publishers to abide by them or agree to not give games any publicity. there needs to be a union or a society or something.

Then again. Dorito pope. :/

UberTag

Gaming journalism and reviewers really need to set some standards and guidelines and force publishers to abide by them or agree to not give games any publicity. there needs to be a union or a society or something.
It's nice to want things.

Wasn't ass creed pretty mediocre by reviews given? I just don't get post release review embargoes. I see them as nothing but anti consumer.
Of course, they're anti-consumer.
You pay them back by not buying anything at launch and not caring about meaningless pre-order hooks.

Jackson

Embargos for reviews till after the game comes out is some serious unacceptable BS.

Then again. Dorito pope. :/

Embargoes are done for two reason -- #1 to not let negative reviews impact sales before it goes live. And #2 to let all sites get equal opportunity traffic.

What if Tom Chick at QuartertoThree.com some how got their copy of Halo 4 in the mail before everyone else and spent that night beating it? And Tom played around the clock beating it and had that 1/5 star review at 8AM. Maybe his review was a full a day or more before others (definitely before most). Now Halo 4 has a terrible score early and QT3 is getting all the hits. It's unfair to everyone.

Anyway, it's mutually helpful to publishers and press.

RagnarokX

Embargoes are done for two reason -- #1 to not let negative reviews impact sales before it goes live. And #2 to let all sites get equal opportunity traffic.

What if Tom Chick at QuartertoThree.com some how got their copy of Halo 4 in the mail before everyone else and spent that night? And Tom played around the clock beating it and had that 1/5 star review at 8AM. Maybe his review was a full a day or more before others (definitely before most). Now Halo 4 has a terrible score early and QT3 is getting all the hits. It's unfair to everyone.

Anyway, it's mutually helpful to publishers and press.

He's not saying embargoes are bad; embargoes that end AFTER the game comes out are bad... for the consumer.

What if Tom Chick at QuartertoThree.com some how got their copy of Halo 4 in the mail before everyone else and spent that night beating it? And Tom played around the clock beating it and had that 1/5 star review at 8AM. Maybe his review was a full a day or more before others (definitely before most). Now Halo 4 has a terrible score early and QT3 is getting all the hits. It's unfair to everyone.

You seem to be implying his review was hit-bait, but it was a well-reasoned review and score. How would that be unfair?

What IS disappointing about the Wii U, and I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else, is the loading times in the OS. Maybe its ok with Sony and MS's consoles. But accessibility is one of the most important elements of Nintendo hardware, having a loading screen even for entering the settings is just.... very unusual of Nintendo.

The original Wii OS was sped up dramatically after the first round of updates. Considering how unfinished the preloaded firmware is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Day 1 update makes things snappier, and it might even improve from there.

boiled goose

good with gravy
He's not saying embargoes are bad; embargoes that end AFTER the game comes out are bad... for the consumer.

Thanks.

Simple Standards:
embargo ends before 1 -2 days before game goes on sale.
publishers have to send review copies to all affiliated reviewers one week before embargo date.

done.

your welcome.

Jackson

You seem to be implying his review was hit-bait, but it was a well-reasoned review and score. How would that be unfair?

Well I'm creating a mock scenario where Tom Chick had the only review of Halo 4 out early. Thus only 1 critic's opinion is out days before anyone else. It's not fair to press or pub.

Also, I'm not implying that Tom Chick cares about hits, in order to care about hits you have to care about ad revenue from hits and he doesn't even have ads on his website. I could be implying other things though, but that's a derail of a derail...

imjust1n

Banned
Everyone that is hesitate about zombiU shouldn't be. It's going to be One the best games to pick up at launch by far.

ZombiU and scribblenauts unlimited are gonna be the best. I think nsmbu will be the most sold.

The worst game idk what that would be lol.

imjust1n

Banned
Well, after this... call me up when they'll announce a new Zelda/Metroid/F-Zero/SSB/Whatnot

They are working on a huge Zelda game but you are looking at 3plus years for that. F zero game really ehh I would never buy that.
Super smash and metroid would prob be a lot sooner and a new donkey Kong country.

Medalion

Banned
That was painful to watch, nearing the end

THe load times switching functions is unbearable

The limited functions without the update

The pain was palpable

Glass Joe

we can only hope that the os was so slow because of its barebones state

Maybe, but it seems like the opposite would be true. I'm surprised they weren't complaining about it because it was rather noticeable. Popping into MiiVerse and stuff like that will be irrelevant if it's not speedy.

AzaK

That was painful to watch, nearing the end

THe load times switching functions is unbearable

The limited functions without the update

The pain was palpable

I agree. The load times were absolutely pathetic. If it stays that way I am NOT going to enjoy using the system's other features. All we can do now though is hope at some point there's an update to make it faster some how.

I really hope that's not a sign as to how slow their flash memory is on the whole. What was it, 10-15 seconds to load a Mii Maker or something?

Top Bottom