• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony projects it will sell 50 million Xperias next year, Odin set to work his magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Well they got a +1 from me this Quarter. Got an Xperia T this week. Absolutely love it. Such a sleek phone design, and the UI is absolutely great. Gorgeous phone.

Well they got a +1 from me this Quarter. Got an Xperia T this week. Absolutely love it. Such a sleek phone design, and the UI is absolutely great. Gorgeous phone.

A work colleague just had one delivered to the office this morning, he absolutely loves it. Much better than my shitty HTC. Even the iPhone and Galaxy S3 owners were looking pretty envious. The killer feature is no TouchWiz...

I can't wait to get my hands on that sweet Odin in Feb! I just hope Vodafone have it, I really don't want to leave them, but I would to get Odin.

I also hope Sony get rid of the Xperia [insert random letter] name and call it Xperia Odin. It would be so awesome...

Carl

A work colleague just had one delivered to the office this morning, he absolutely loves it. Much better than my shitty HTC. Even the iPhone and Galaxy S3 owners were looking pretty envious. The killer feature is no TouchWiz...

I also hope Sony get rid of the Xperia [insert random letter] name and call it Xperia Odin. It would be so awesome...

I upgraded from a HTC Desire S so obviously the difference is pretty overhelming. But yeah i'm over the moon with it. Last Sony (Ericsson) phone i had was a W890i! Heh

Agreed on the stupid names. Odin would be such a great name for a phone.

Akira

I can't wait to get my hands on that sweet Odin in Feb! I just hope Vodafone have it, I really don't want to leave them, but I would to get Odin.

And then the Q4 flagship could be Xperia (Nova)Thor?

Dre

I upgraded from a HTC Desire S so obviously the difference is pretty overhelming. But yeah i'm over the moon with it. Last Sony (Ericsson) phone i had was a W890i! Heh

Agreed on the stupid names. Odin would be such a great name for a phone.

This summer I upgraded from a HTC Desire myself and I'm absolutely loving my new Xperia S. The Xperia Home launcher is so smooth and nice looking that it's a real pleasure to use it. Besides the transparent bar is an absolute eye-catcher, couple of people already asked about my phone when I got a text and the bar started to blink.

Augustus

Banned
They will be getting at least 2 from me next year. My plan and my mothers plan are both up next year, and I will be getting Xperias with both.

Fezan

Hopefully this time sony will launch in timely manner or else it wiil be the same situation as this year where xperia s was the best phone avaliable for a month then htc and samy burried them specs wise

ektoll

My girlfriend loved her M600i and I still use a k800 when I need a second phone.

I hope they follow the nexus4 trend and price their next flagship agressively. Or better, that Sony makes the next Nexus.

If they sort out the camera and battery, they could get a sale from me.

Odin is being tested with 2400-2800mAh batteries and it should come with the new Auto HDR Exmor RS BSI sensor so it should have significantly improved lowlight performance. The only question mark is their JPEG performance but there are good signs that they are making big improvements in that area, I just hope they roll out the improvements to all of their products.

darkwing

This summer I upgraded from a HTC Desire myself and I'm absolutely loving my new Xperia S. The Xperia Home launcher is so smooth and nice looking that it's a real pleasure to use it. Besides the transparent bar is an absolute eye-catcher, couple of people already asked about my phone when I got a text and the bar started to blink.

yup, the bar is sexy

noobie

Banned
I think it will be interesting to see how much Sony Mobile sells in Q3 (Oct-Dec) period. I wander if they can push above 10m, then that will mean that they are going to easily sell more than there target of 34m this Fiscal year. They have already once increased their fiscal year target for the mobile phones.

I think it will be interesting to see how much Sony Mobile sells in Q3 (Oct-Dec) period. I wander if they can push above 10m, then that will mean that they are going to easily sell more than there target of 34m this Fiscal year. They have already once increased their fiscal year target for the mobile phones.

Sony tend to be weaker in Q4 than Q3 because competition is much stronger during the holiday season and Sony tend to get swamped by Samsung, HTC and Apple. However this year it looks like HTC won't have an answer to the Xperia T which is selling better than the One X/X+. I expect Sony will match their Q3 performance maybe a little better or worse. We're looking at 8.5-9.5m units shipped. It's still a good figure though and they will probably still be in third place for Q4 while increasing their ASP because of the Xperia T/TL/TX family being quite popular compared to the Arc S which did not put up much of a fight vs the Sensation XL, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus last year.

Akira

Sony tend to be weaker in Q4 than Q3 because competition is much stronger during the holiday season and Sony tend to get swamped by Samsung, HTC and Apple. However this year it looks like HTC won't have an answer to the Xperia T which is selling better than the One X/X+. I expect Sony will match their Q3 performance maybe a little better or worse. We're looking at 8.5-9.5m units shipped. It's still a good figure though and they will probably still be in third place for Q4 while increasing their ASP because of the Xperia T/TL/TX family being quite popular compared to the Arc S which did not put up much of a fight vs the Sensation XL, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus last year.

What do you mean an answer to Xperia T? That would be the new Droid DNA :p

Akira

Ahh, right. The HTC J Butterfly should release in December though, so at least it will be out in two major markets.

noobie

Banned

Thats why i said it will be impressive if they push above 10m for the Oct to Dec Quarter. Although i think Sony is in a position to do that. and to be honest 50 million is not a big target for next year if they just expand the carriers and launch the phones in time with latest Android version.

They may even sell 50 mil. if they use current SoC's, OS, and biuld a propper, well-made flagship device.
I don't want another Snapdragon S3 Gingerbread Xperia S phone in 2012 that has serious build-quality issues.

nib95

Banned
Why would camera be an issue on a Sony phone?

All the new Sony phones have had cameras that fall below par when compared to the S3, iPhone 5 etc. More noise, less detail etc. Megapixels mean little without the quality and processing being solid.

noobie

Banned

But there are Sony Android 5.0 Benchmark in the wild. which many thing is going to be Nexus Phone. because usually sony is not so quick in releasing a phone on latest Android version.
Android 5.0 Phone from Sony spotted on benchmark tests

Sony stirred up the rumour mill with promises of a phone that will compete with the likes of the iPhone 5 and now they are back in the headlines again with a rumoured phone possibly to have the latest version of Android on board.

A benchmark test for a phone dubbed the LT30i has been leaked, this phone hasn’t popped up before so what can we expect from this phone? The Xperia T was known as the LT30p when it went through similar tests so we should be seeing a similar set of specifications; however the really interesting part is that the test shows the phone is running Android 5.0.

Android 5.0 also known as Key Lime Pie was expected to be the latest release from Google at their event this year however we just saw an update to the existing Jelly Bean OS.

This is the first inkling of the next batch of phones to give us the very latest Android OS and it appears Sony would like to be the first one to bring it to us. So all the talk of the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S3 competitor from Sony could be this phone and it may be released as the Xperia Nexus as per a leak in August.

The only real confirmation we can expect will be at the CES 2013, but until then there is bound to be plenty of more information coming our way in the form of rumours and if Android 5.0 is to be the OS of choice for the event we should be seeing teasers of the other manufacturers offerings pretty soon.

Benchmark can be seen here

android-5-0-key-lime-pie-spotted-in-nenamark-benchmarks.jpg

Anyway It could be another hoax.. :)

Krilekk

Banned
Never underestimate the power of movie tie-ins and ads. It's what made the original Razr a huge success and stuff like a James Bond phone just sells.

linsivvi

All the new Sony phones have had cameras that fall below par when compared to the S3, iPhone 5 etc. More noise, less detail etc. Megapixels mean little without the quality and processing being solid.

Is it purely a software issue as another poster pointed out since iPhone uses Sony sensors anyway?

The company must be filled with experts with all those DCs that they are selling. So how is this even possible? Is Sony so inept that they cannot identify and fix it?

Movie placement and the fact that unlike other failing companies, the Sony brand name still holds weight around the world are pretty much the reason I can believe they'll hit that target. IF they market their new phones well (odin/yuga) and actually put them on all carriers. I see this being easily achievable. Of course Sony seems to have issues with that, so we'll see.

tfur

Sony Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Maker

Japanese electronics maker Sony has cracked the top five in worldwide smartphone sales for the first time since 2006. It now stands ahead of RIM's Blackberry and Taiwan's HTC to claim the number three spot in worldwide popularity.

Sony's advance came as a surprise, though it was no surprise who was number one or two in worldwide sales. Samsung claimed the top spot because of the wide popularity of its range of Android phones. Apple is second in worldwide sales however, in terms of having the single most popular model, the iPhone wins hands-down.

According to market research company Canalys, 173.7 million smartphones were shipped in the third quarter of 2012. That's a 44 per cent year-to-year increase. Samsung shipped 55.5 million handsets followed by Apple with 26.9 million.

An effective new marketing campaign and some strong products such as the Xperia P are credited for propelling Sony to the third spot. It sold 8.8 million units and gained 5.1 per cent in market share. Canalys' equates that increase to an amazing 41.1 per cent gain year-on-year.

Sony may get another windfall from the movie, Skyfall. In the new "James Bond" film, the British agent 007, played by actor Daniel Craig is seen using the Xperia and the added cachet from product placement could boost sales even higher in the fourth quarter.

The top five was rounded out with HTC, which saw its share fall by 36.1 per cent and RIM, which, despite its well publicised struggles (largely because of its Blackberry popularity in Asia), managed to sell 7.3 million handsets in the third quarter, giving it a 4.2 per cent market share.

LG will be expected to move further up the table next quarter following the launch of its Google-branded LG Nexus smartphone, which went on sale in November. Reviewers have praised it, though it only comes in 3G and is not 4G compatible.

Separate data from IDC published on November 2 revealed that 75 per cent of all smartphones shipped (136 million) in the third quarter ran Android compared with 14.9 per cent running Apple's iOS and 2 per cent using Windows Phone 7 or Windows Mobile.

Lawsuit incoming.

nib95

Banned
Is it purely a software issue as another poster pointed out since iPhone uses Sony sensors anyway?

The company must be filled with experts with all those DCs that they are selling. So how is this even possible? Is Sony so inept that they cannot identify and fix it?

Partly this and partly because they stretch the same sensor to 13mp whereas Apple and Samsung keep it at 8mp, so it's a smaller overall resolution, but you actually get better IQ and noise.

Partly this and partly because they stretch the same sensor to 13mp whereas Apple and Samsung keep it at 8mp, so it's a smaller overall resolution, but you actually get better IQ and noise.

You do realise that the sensors in Apple and Samsung phones are made by Sony right? Also, that Samsung wanted the 13MP one for the S3 but Sony denied them and put it in the Xperia T instead.

The problem for Sony is that the JPEG performance is poor, but it looks like they are on the path to fixing it with their latest cameras. Out of the camera JPEGs for the RX1 are awesome and early reviews all confirm that Sony may finally have cracked their poor JPEG performance problems. If this can be rolled out to the rest of their products then Sony will have a big lead over other phone makers.

The other interesting idea I have heard is for Sony to make an Xperia K using the same Sensor as the RX100 and couple it with a 28mm equiv F1.8 Zeiss lens, basically a smartphone with a fixed focus camera inbuilt sort of like Samsung's Galaxy Camera, but actually desirable. That would be a phone camera worth having IMO as they could make it shoot RAW and put in full manual control with a touch interface.

Mario007

Also there's the leaked documents actually claiming the original iphone design was inspired by sony designed products. Sony has been making rectangles way before apple!

Yeah, and unlike the Samsung lawsuit there's no way the judge can bar the jury from seeing that document.

Yep, I always say that Sony is the one company Apple should not dream of suing because they just might get burned.

They do, plus they actually got all the Ericson patents after the SE buyout. So honestly, they have a huge patent portfolio. Sony Mobile exec even mentioned it when quizzed why isn't Sony making Windows phone. He mentioned that many other companies jump on WP as a contingency in case they get sued by Apple for Android but Sony doesn't need to fear that since they have a very large patent portfolio.

Honestly, I'd prefer Sony to be the champion of Android rather than Samsung and I can't comprehend how come the situation is as it is. I mean Timescape is leagues ahead of Touchwiz, Sony's build quality and design are much better than Samsung and the software optimisation is amazing. Nevern mind the fact that their android update, while a bit slower than Samsung, is very comprehensive for the whole portfolio of their phones from entry to flagship devices.

They need to get their shit together with tablets though...

DBT85

felipeko

Sony were in the top 10 for amount of Patents awarded by the USPTO in every year from '97 to '10 except for 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_United_States_patent_recipients

Apple are not in the top 10 in any year on that list, and incredibly IBM is top EVERY year.

Sony have been in the business since 1946 so have a few patents dotted about as you said.
And Samsung is above Sony almost every year.. I'm not sure this really support this notion that Apple fear Sony, i think Apple just didn't care about Sony, as they were so small in smartphones...
Also, Apple vs HTC shows this is the reasoning even more, that it was not about being a look a like (like Samsung), it was just about having good Android sales, and you were targeted. Now that HTC is small again they throw a bone.

And Samsung is above Sony almost every year.. I'm not sure this really support this notion that Apple fear Sony, i think Apple just didn't care about Sony, as they were so small in smartphones...
Also, Apple vs HTC shows this is the reasoning even more, that it was not about being a look a like (like Samsung), it was just about having good Android sales, and you were targeted. Now that HTC is small again they throw a bone.

Sony own the whole of Ericsson's handset division's patents. That alone would be enough to fight Apple, as Google have shown with Moto's patents (Ericsson and Moto are of equal importance to the mobile phone industry). Add in Sony's patents and prior art on design and Apple would be foolish to start a lawsuit against Sony. If Sony do make it near the top of the Android tree then Apple will just have to suck it up.

noobie

Banned
Sony own the whole of Ericsson's handset division's patents. That alone would be enough to fight Apple, as Google have shown with Moto's patents (Ericsson and Moto are of equal importance to the mobile phone industry). Add in Sony's patents and prior art on design and Apple would be foolish to start a lawsuit against Sony. If Sony do make it near the top of the Android tree then Apple will just have to suck it up.

I wish SONY do reach the top of the Android maker so we really see what happens then. :p
Does Apple come after them or leave them.. :)

noobie

Banned
i dont know how popular is this carrier

MTS adds Sony Xperia(TM) T to wireless handset lineup

MTS today announced that Sony Mobile's newest and most advanced smartphone - XperiaTM T - is now available in MTS Connect stores across Manitoba. Made famous as the phone used by 007 in the latest James Bond theatrical release Skyfall, Xperia T offers Sony's latest HD technology, NFC-enabled connectivity, and a suite of state-of-the-art, preloaded media applications.

"With Xperia T, Sony Mobile raises the bar when it comes to smartphone design, function, and next-generation features," said MTS President Kelvin Shepherd. "I am thrilled that MTS is among the first in Manitoba to make this new smartphone available to customers."

Xperia T features include a 4.6 inch HD display powered by the Mobile BRAVIA() Engine to provide razor-sharp HD images. Capturing photos is made possible by a 13 megapixel HD camera with a quick-launch feature that goes from sleep to snap in 1.5 seconds. Xperia T sends photos, music and videos wirelessly to other NFC-enabled devices by simply tapping them together to establish a connection. The device also comes with preloaded apps designed to help users organize and share music, videos, and photos.

"Customers will enjoy apps like Album that lets them edit photos on the go," said Mr. Shepherd. "And with MTS's 4G LTE Network in Winnipeg and Brandon, they can upload and share photos with family and friends faster than ever before."

MTS subscribers with Xperia T will have access to Manitoba's only 4G LTE Network which offers download speeds of up to 75 Mbps. And, with 97% of the Manitoba population covered by MTS's 4G HSPA Network, they will continue to have great high speed coverage outside of Winnipeg and Brandon. Customers will also benefit from over 185 MTS Wi-Fi hotspots across Manitoba.

With plans priced as low as 48.50 per month, the Xperia T starts at 79.99 (based on a 36-month term).

That's definitely good news as it shows that Sony are finally getting to grips with carriers in the US. Obviously this MTS company is pretty small time, but the word is that all of the major networks are interested in Odin and Yuga and there is a good chance that they will all have it as it comes with a Pentaband radio and a CDMA version is not difficult to make as the modem is not integrated and only requires the most basic of modifications.

It all depends on the sales of the Xperia T/TL, but I have heard that AT&T have been selling them very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom