• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Album of the Year Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galang

Banned
1. Devotion - Jessie Ware
2. 1991 - Azealia Banks
3. The Idler Wheel... - Fiona Apple
4. Red - Taylor Swift
5. Halcyon - Ellie Goulding
6. Gossamer - Passion Pit
7. True - Solange
8. Vows - Kimbra
9. good kid, m.A.A.d city - Kendrick Lamar
10. Visions - Grimes

borntobye.gif

I wasn't going to include Fantasea even though mixtapes are allowed since I just feel weird about it for some reason. I completely forgot about the 1991 EP somehow -_-, will have to edit that into my list. I am also surprised at the lack of Lana haha.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Tentative list, revisiting some albums right now actually

1. Kendrick Lamar - good k.i.d. m.A.A.d. city (Hip-Hop)
2. Ultraísta - Ultraísta (Dreampop)
3. Tamaryn - Tender New Signs (Dreampop)
4. Alt-J - Awesome Wave (Alternative)
5. Vessel - Order of Noise (Post-Dubstep)
6. Swans- The Seer (No-Wave)
7. Daughn Gibson - All Hell (Alt-Folk)
8. Cloud Nothings - Post-Nothing (Post-Hardcore)
9. Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour/Golden Mile (Contemporary Folk)
10. Purity Ring- Shrines (Alternative Pop)

*high-fives*

EDIT: Somebody else better vote for Actress by January or I'm probably going to die inside.

RDreamer

Subscribed. I'll post my list later. I've got the top 6 or 7 figured out for the most part, but I'm struggling with the last 3.

I want to get my top 20 down pretty well, actually, but I'm not sure how well that'll be. Usually after 10 or 15 it gets kind of iffy on what's really much better than what.

Galang

Banned
*high-fives*

EDIT: Somebody else better vote for Actress by January or I'm probably going to die inside.

High-five from me too.. Order of Noise was really nice. Surprised Triangle released it on their label. Court of Lions, Lache and Silten are one of my favourite tracks released in the past few months.
I didn't like much the other tracks though, but I listened to it pretty recently for the first time, so I haven't listened to it again outside the tracks I love.

Also forgot about Actress to be honest. Lots of things released earlier this year I seemed to of forgotten. Was good! Also I couldn't figure out if one of the track names was a Persona reference, which I thought was cool.

DGRE

Banned
Working on my list. For now:

Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus? (#1 by a pretty wide margin)
Titus Andronicus - Local Business
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Pomegranates - Heaven
mewithoutyou - Ten Stories
Sufjan - Silver & Gold
The Jealous Sound - A Gentle Reminder
The Shins - Port Morrow
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Definitive list to come.

High-five from me too.. Order of Noise was really nice. Surprised Triangle released it on their label. Court of Lions, Lache and Silten are one of my favourite tracks released in the past few months.
I didn't like much the other tracks though, but I listened to it pretty recently for the first time, so I haven't listened to it again outside the tracks I love.

Also forgot about Actress to be honest. Lots of things released earlier this year I seemed to of forgotten. Was good! Also I couldn't figure out if one of the track names was a Persona reference, which I thought was cool.

Shadows From Tartarus? Yeah I remember wondering that too.

tentative list, I'll add blurbs and stuff as the months go on and everything settles. Listen to the links they are GOOD

1. Actress - R.I.P.
2. Chromatics - Kill for Love
3. Ukkonen - The Isolated Rhythms of...
4. Burial - Kindred
5. Legowelt - The Paranormal Soul
6. Tame Impala - Lennonism
7. Terrence Dixon - From the Far Future Part 2
8. Ricardo Donoso - Assimilating the Shadow
9. Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss
10. Las Malas Amistades - Maleza

OTHER GOOD ALBUMS
baby face killa, everything TDE, Keepers of the light, classical curves, stray ashes

still some stuff I need to get to. Can't believe I still haven't listened to bass clef yet.

Steamlord

All right, here's my final list.

1. Scott Walker - Bish Bosch; It's hard to believe this guy released four great baroque pop albums in the 60s, because this (as well as his previous two albums) is about as far from that as he could possibly get. Bish Bosch is wonderfully demented and at times surprisingly hilarious; anuses, gonads, fart sounds, scraping knives, goofy insults ("If shit were music, you'd be a brass band") - this album has it all, and it's stunning musically.

2. Mount Eerie - Clear Moon; One of Phil Elverum's best albums as Mount Eerie. He's been consistently amazing for almost fifteen years now, and he's released not one but two great albums this year.

3. Julia Holter - Ekstasis; Absolutely beautiful album. I guess I'd classify it as electronic baroque pop, but it's sort of tough to pin down. It moves along at a very leisurely pace and thus takes a bit of patience to get through, but it's definitely worth the effort. The first couple of times I listened to it I thought it was pretty boring, but after a while it really grew on me.

4. Swans - The Seer; This album is intense. I can't believe I waited so long to listen to it. I think I might like it even more than Soundtracks for the Blind.

5. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz; I guess people have been pretty divided on this, but I think it's one of their best albums, easily up there with Feels and Strawberry Jam (nothing will ever touch Spirit They're Gone though). Amanita is now one of my favorite AC songs.

6. Zammuto - Zammuto; A solo album by Nick Zammuto, one half of The Books. Really fun and quirky experimental stuff with song titles such as "F U C-3PO" and "Zebra Butt," along with some truly beautiful tracks like "The Shape of Things to Come."

7. Whirr - Pipe Dreams; Probably the best shoegaze act around at the moment. A great followup to their phenomenal Distressor EP.

8. Burial - Kindred; It's technically an EP but I'm going to make an exception because it's just so good; in fact, I would go so far as to say that it's his best work yet. I love Untrue, but if pushed I would admit that the tracks tend to sound a little samey and that it relies too much on atmosphere; not so with Kindred. It retains the "rainy city night" atmosphere of his previous material while managing to be much more musically interesting.

9. Laetitia Sadier - Silencio; Great art rock album. While her 2010 solo album The Trip, recorded in the wake of her sister's suicide, was more introspective, here she returns to the anti-capitalist themes that made Stereolab what it was, but she does plenty to set herself apart from both Stereolab and Monade.

10. Mission of Burma - Unsound; Unlike PiL, MoB have retained their edge through the years. Unsound may not reach the lofty heights of Vs., but it's a damn good post-punk album.

---

11. Mount Eerie - Ocean Roar
12. Windy & Carl - We Will Always Be
13. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
14. lovesliescrushing - Glinter
15. Liars - WIXIW
16. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
17. iamamiwhoami - kin
18. Grimes - Visions
19. Kishi Bashi - 151a
20. Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
21. Beach House - Bloom
22. Diiv - Oshin
23. Purity Ring - Shrines
24. David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant
25. Chromatics - Kill for Love

Knox

1. The Shins - Port of Morrow
2. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
3. Jack White - Blunderbuss
4. Beach House - Bloom
5. Metric - Synthetica
6. Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
7. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellen
8. Cat Power - Sun
9. Purity Ring - Shrines
10. Gary Clark Jr. - Blak and Blu

Soma

is0ngWE0SZq3H.jpg

1. How to Dress Well - Total Loss

ihawG3uJDKmwT.jpg

2. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

iw9AYsJWWf5DE.jpg

3. The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

i9Zh3gZuYS5nI.jpg

4. A Place To Bury Strangers - Worship

ibdQHzoVubsDyd.jpg

5. Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes

ibpS1qERbhZ0k8.jpg

6. BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2

iUQpWJbQM4SLt.jpg

7. Holy Other - Held

irYSt94pPDtaM.jpg

8. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

ilspCUo0FXYxv.jpg

9. Purity Ring - Shrines

iPNQbZrh2reb2.jpg

10. Holograms - Holograms

Feeling pretty good about this list for the most part. Still a few more albums I need to get through so I'll leave it at this for the moment.

Runner Ups:

Grimes - Visions
Death Grips - Money Store
Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
XXYYXX - XXYYXX
Timberwolf - Timberwolf
Crystal Castles - III
Every Time I Die - Ex Lives
Mount Eerie - Ocean Roar
Torche - Harmonicraft
Daughn Gibson - All Hell
Jessie Ware - Devotion
Liars - WIXIW
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Aesop Rock - Skelethon

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I haven't gotten through the Kendrick Lamar or the Frank Ocean albums yet. Will update when I do with my top ten.

Servbot24

Banned
*high-fives*
Somebody else better vote for Actress by January or I'm probably going to die inside.

Hey fellow ateaser! :D Actress will undoubtedly be my #1. Rest of the list needs more time to form though.

Btw your list is amazing and everyone needs to check those links!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
1. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
2. The Weeknd - Trilogy

Will update the rest after I get through a couple more albums, but those are my standouts right now

HiResDes

The new Scott Walker sounds like the Who's Tommy if the character went back in time to the Reign of Terror and did a bunch of ether.

Hey fellow ateaser! :D Actress will undoubtedly be my #1. Rest of the list needs more time to form though.

Btw your list is amazing and everyone needs to check those links!

Awesome! I think two number 1 places and a couple other votes for RIP might just be enough for it to barely make the list.

swoon

2012:

1. julia holter - ekstasis
2. lower dens- nootropics
3. nu sensae - sundowning
4. holograms - s/t
5. broken water - tempest
6. angel olson - half way home
7. scott walker - bish bosch
8. tindersticks - the something rain
9. u.s girls - gem
10. grass widow - internal logic

11. lambchop - mr. m
12. how to dress well - total loss
13. soft moon - zeroes
14. tamaryn - tender new signs
15. dirty three - toward the low sun
16. tanlines - mixed emotions
17. chromatics - kill for love
18. gary war - jared's lot
19. young prisms - in between
20. metz - s/t

21. beachwood sparks - tarnished gold
22. colleen green - milo goes to compton
23. jessica bailiff - at the downturned jagged rim of the sky
24. wild nothing - nocturne
25. ty segall - slaughterhouse
26. deep time - s/t
27. slug guts - playin' in time with the deadbeat
28. beach house - bloom
29. diiv - s/t
30. catherine irwin - little heater

31. mount eerie - clear moon
32. disappears - pre language
33. spiderbags - shake my head
34. dum dum girls end of haze ep
35. tops - tender oppisites
36. hunx - too young to fall in love
37. lotus plaza - lp
38. mark etizel - don't be a stranger
39. laurel halo - quarantine
40. jens lekman - i know what love isn't

41. savage - i am ep
42. taken by trees - other worlds
43. tyvek - on triple beams
44. mountain goats - transcental youth
45. intelligence - everyone's got it easy but me
46. whatever brains - s/t
47. la vampires/maria minerva - integration lp
48. royal baths - better luck next life
49. swans - the seer
50. no joy - negaverse ep

51. orca team - restraint
52. turning machine - what is the meaning of what
53. dean blunt and inga copeland -black is beautiful
54. thee oh sees - purifiers II ep
55. ty segall - twins
56. ice choir - afar
57. apache dropout - bubblegum graveyard
58. nite jewel - one second of love
59. daughn gibson - all hell
60. kelly hogan - i like to keep myself in pain

HiResDes

I'm thinking about changing to The Seer to the Metz self-titled or Holograms but I can't decide. I also need to get Something Rain in there somehow. Incredible list as always

swoon

just make longer and longer list, or at least that's my idea.

the new tyvek came out today. i bet it would end higher this next next month.

Kusagari

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
2. Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
3. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
4. Purity Ring - Shrines
5. Ab-Soul - Control System
6. Crystal Castles - (III)
7. Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
8. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
9. Laurel Halo - Quarantine
10. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die: Paradise Edition

Yeah, I voted for Lana. Deal with it.

1. Grizzly Bear - Sheilds
2. Passion Pit - Gossamer
3. Beach House - Bloom
4. Purity Ring - Shrines
5. Grimes - Visions
6. Chairlift - Something
7. Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE
8. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
9. Bear in Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool
10. Niki and the Dove - Instinct

HM: The Shins - Port of Morrow, Jessie Ware - Devotion, Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream

linsivvi

1. Elbow - Dead in the Boot
2. The XX - Coexist
3. The Vaccines - Come of Age
4. Glen Hansard - Rhythm and Repose
5. Metric - Synthetica
6. Saint Etienne - Words and Music by
7. Mono - For My Parents
8. Bloc Party - Four
9. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
10. Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, looking at these lists I don't recognize a lot of these artists. My list mainly consists of rock, so I doubt they will get much votes but here they are:

1. Brendon Small- Galaktikon ; When I heard Brendon Small wouldn't be working on Dethalbum 3 until his solo album was finished, I was subconsciously waiting for this one to get rushed out so he can get on with the real stuff. But one day I bought the album on a whim, because I couldn't take the Dethklok withdrawals, I needed more Brendon Small in my eardrums. It turned out to be better than I ever imagined (then again I had no expectations for this album). It has his classic guitar tone, with clean vocals and a very epic feeling for the whole album. I listen to it constantly, the melodies are infectious and the lyrics are just amazing.
Recommend Listening to : Dangertits

2. Tenacious D - Rize of The Fenix; After their long hiatus after their poorly sold movie, Jack Black and Kyle Gass are better than ever. My personal favorite album from them, it combines the humor of the first album, the power of the second album, and epic lyrics to create something very special. Each song is just filled ripe with energy, you know they had a lot of fun making this album and it really shows. Singing about things like the dethstar, being a roadie, or strong euphemisms eluding to TITS. And their skits inbetween the albums are hilarious, much better than the past albums. Oh, and don't let the silly box art deter you from listening to such a masterpiece of an album.
Recommend Listening to : Dethstarr

3. Hikari Shin-wa Palutena no Kagami Soundtrack (Or better known as Kid Icarus) Nintendo delivered with this orchestrated soundtrack, every new level had not only an amazing dialog, action packed sequences, but a banging soundtrack to boot! Not going to delve any more into this but even if you hate Kid Icarus for it's unconventional controls, you can't argue that the soundtrack was amazing. It is simply not possible. I encourage anyone who couldn't deal with the controls (or even people who have never played the game) to give it a listen, truly a treat to the ears and very unexpected.
Recommend Listening to : Boss Game 1

4. Clubland X-Treme 8 - Darren Styles, Breeze, Re-Con & Hixxy These guys brought me into the Happy Hardcore genre and i am thankful for it every day. Such an amazing genre, such catchy beats, I can listen to any song and it will lift my mood immediately, really powerful stuff. It's hard to explain, I just recommend giving a listen if you're a fan of electronic music. These guys can do no wrong, it is impossible.
Recommend Listening to : We Killed the Rave

5.Disasterpiece - Fez Soundtrack; Wow, I was not expecting such a game to have such a great, ambient electronic soundtrack. Extremely soothing, fits the style of gameplay, this is just the kind of music that opens your mind, man. It's totally deep. I would recommend playing the game first to truly get an appreciation for it.
Recommend Listening to : Compass

6.Dethalbum 3 - Dethklok; This was definitely my most hyped album of the year, I have been waiting for 3 years after the release of Dethalbum 2. Don't get me wrong, Dethalbum 2 was completely amazing, I just wanted more. Unfortunately, Dethalbum doesn't seem to capture the same feeling I had for 1 and 2, The vocals are a lot harder to follow and honestly it doesn't feel like they put a lot of polish or effort into this one. There are quite a few good songs though, but Brendon Small is capable of so much more. I guess after all of that waiting, my expectations rose beyond what was feasible, but it's still a solid metal album. Seeing them live performing these new songs though gave me a new appreciation for the album, however.
Recommend Listening to : I Ejaculate Fire

7. Linkin Park - Living Things; I've given up on Linkin Park quite a while ago. Meteora was weird, Minutes to Midnight showed that they were going for a radio friendly sound, and I didn't bother listening to all of a Thousand songs. But I feel like Living Things was a turning point for them. Bringing back their classic electronic sound with a good balance between Chester and Mike's vocals. Hopefully this is a sound they intend sticking with.
Recommend Listening to :LIES GREED MISERY

8.Imagine Dragons - Night Visions; Solid debut album, they have a very polished sound. Not sure what to describe it as, a mix of indie rock with some electronic undertones. Definitely one of the surprise hits for me.
Recommend Listening to : Bleeding Out

9. The Offspring- Days Gone By; I didn't have high expectations for this album (based on their first single), thankfully because of that I was able to tolerate it. Long gone are the days of their crazy punk days, admittedly I can still stomach their new stuff but they are capable of so much more, as evidenced by a couple of really good tracks.
Recommend Listening to : Dividing By Zero

10. Yellowcard - Southern Air; I'm going to admit, I've gotten into the Yellowcard game pretty late so forgive my ignorance but this album is definitely a solid listen. Not much to say about it, It's not earth shattering but it definitely delivers, their unique interlacing of pop punk style with a mix of violin works.
Recommend Listening to : Rivertown Blues

There are other albums that I've yet to listen to extensively (Coheed, Between the Buried and Me, As I lay Dying, Muse, Hoobastank, Versailles, Scandal) so this list could potentially change.

Anyways this will probably go widely unnoticed but I enjoyed writing this piece. It reminded me of how much I appreciate music in my life.

Booya

Neo Member
1. Tame Impala - Lonerism
2. Kendrick Lamar - Good k.i.d. m.A.A.d city
3. Chairlift - SOMETHING
4. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
5. Django Django - Django Django
6. Grimes - Visions
7. Frank Ocean - Orange
8. Totaly Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Trouble
9. Purity Ring - Shrines
10. Death Grips - The Money Store

------------

11. Metric - Synthetica
12. Hot Chip - In Our Heads
13. Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon
14. The Shins - Port Marrow
15. Grizzly Bear - Shield
16. Alchemist - Russian Roulette
17. Ultraista - Ultraista
18. Joey Bada$$ - 1999
19. Stars - The North
20. Orbital - Wonky

21. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
22. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz.
23. Medium - Graal
24. Ab-Soul - Control System
25. Squarepusher - Ufabulum
26. Beach House - Bloom
27. Com Truise - In Decay
28. Passion Pit - Glossamer
29. Phantogram - Nightlife
30. Photek - KU:pALM

31. Jessie Ware - Devotion
32. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
33. Polica - Give You The Ghost
34. Action Bronson - Blue Chips
35. Himanshu - Nehru Jackets
36. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
37. Frankie Rose - Interstellar
38. Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
39. Yppah - Eighty One
40. Van She - Idea of Happiness

41. Blockhead - Interludes After Midnight
42. Bloc Party - Four
43. Chromatics - Kill For Love
44. Memoryhouse - The Sideshow Effect
45. Tabasko - Ostatnia Szansa Tego Rapu
46. John Talabot - Fin
47. Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes
48. Twin Shadow - Confess
49. TNGHT - TNGHT
50. Frittenbude - Delfinarium

some stuff ive liked

ty segall - twins
thee oh sees - putrifiers 2
swans - the seer
spiritualized - sweet heart sweet light
the raveonettes - observator
a place to bury strangers - worship
moon duo - circles
the men - open your heart
mark lanegan - blues funeral
dinosaur jr. - i bet on sky
chromatics - kill for love
the brian jonestown massacre - aufheben
earth - angels of darkness, demons of light II
can - the lost tapes

i guess

Hobby

1. Jerry Paper - Vol. I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0u4N2xrzC8
2. d'Eon - LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5jE1mC9zY
3. Laurel Halo - Quarantine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5uNiyEfMdI
4. Evian Christ - Kings and Them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpYyf7B7BlE

Tentative for now. Other stuff I'll probably add:

Fort Romeau - Kingdoms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUoxMYO4SJ0
Lone - Galaxy Garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiOywkmqtbk
.l.w.h. - CIA TV (yes that is an Ikaruga sample)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFSMosUlTM
Groundislava - Feel Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cir8hPPybI
Weird Dreams - Choreography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5svDFQkBU
Tim Hecker & Daniel Lopatin - Instrumental Tourist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6zlGKI4SU

HiResDes

some stuff ive liked

ty segall - twins
thee oh sees - putrifiers 2
swans - the seer
spiritualized - sweet heart sweet light
the raveonettes - observator
a place to bury strangers - worship
moon duo - circles
the men - open your heart
mark lanegan - blues funeral
dinosaur jr. - i bet on sky
chromatics - kill for love
the brian jonestown massacre - aufheben
earth - angels of darkness, demons of light II
can - the lost tapes

i guess
I'd really recommend you check out Holograms S/T, Clinic - Free Reign, The Soft Moon - Zeroes, Metz S/T, and that new Tyvek

List is subject to change and I'll definitely add more when I fully hash things out, but for now:
1. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
2. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City
3. Grimes - Visions
4. Onuinu - Mirror Gazer
5. Grizzly Bear - Shields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom