• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krazy Kristians set to convert trick-or-treaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Title is a TV reference

Bruce Watters used to simply hand out candy on Halloween, just like his neighbors in St. Petersburg, Fla., until he decided the holiday's ghoulishness really didn't jibe with his Christian beliefs.

But rather than skip the neighborhood ritual, he's put a Christian stamp on it. For the third year in a row, kids will leave his porch with a piece of candy, plus a religious tract - a concise, colorful handout telling how to attain salvation through Jesus Christ.

Halloween, long associated with pagan traditions, is now high season for an old American tradition of evangelizing through tracts. The nation's four major publishers of tracts say they sell more at Halloween than at any other time of year, including Christmas and Easter. And the push is on to grow the seasonal market. This year, thanks to new glow-in-the-dark tracts, the Texas-based American Tract Society expects to set a new Halloween record by shipping out more than 4 million tracts.

One telling sign: About 50 Southern Baptist congregations have been in touch with denominational mission offices this month, and every one plans to share the gospel through some form of trick-or-treating, according to Toby Frost, senior director of strategic evangelism for the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.

For his part, Watters regards Halloween as "a satanic celebration" that he tries to counter by displaying a cross and an angel statue on his porch. He also asks parents for permission to pray over their children. He got the idea from friends in St. Petersburg, Pam and Bill Malone, who have been encouraging Halloween evangelism since they first observed a pagan circle in San Francisco 16 years ago.

"After we saw the evil side of this night, we decided we were going to bring light to it," Pam Malone says. The Malones now set up tables in their front yard, play recorded Christian music, and hand out doughnuts along with collections of scripture verses to trick-or-treaters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20061030/ts_csm/atrickortract

Why cant they just give the kids their candy. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
and if they put drugs in the candy to heighten a child's susceptibility to the tracts, well that would be for the child's salvation and the greater glory of god, and jesus would probably be ok with it lol.

impirius

candy > apple > (candy + religious tract) > (those orange and black wrapped generic candies that are very chewy and don't really taste like anything)

WalkMan

Banned
:lol I remember there were homes that handed out bibles instead of candies. It's almost as bad as those homes that hand out candy corns.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I kinda feel like just wearing a burka and knocking on peoples doors at halloween. Just to see how many peple give me candy for my zany costume, and how many stand in silent discomfort trying to work out if im the real deal without offending me.

What's wrong with this? My parents do this every year. If you don't want to read the tract you don't have to. They make sure to give out one that's pretty accessible and relevent to Halloween

White Man

WalkMan said:
:lol I remember there were homes that handed out bibles instead of candies. It's almost as bad as those homes that hand out candy corns.

Haha, we had those people, too. We threw ours off an overpass, haha.

Koshiba

That's stupid. Oh well, I don't care as long as I get my candy. I just don't need someone coming up to preach to me. You can always throw it away. :)

Fusebox said:
Like what, though shall not overeat thy Pez refills :D

1160427676kz4.jpg

The one they give out has the grim reaper on it instead of the tombstone

Here are the contents:

An Epitaph

By Paul M. Sadler

I am told that an Indiana cemetery has a tombstone (more than a hundred years old) which bears the following epitaph:1

Pause Stranger, when you pass me by,
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so you will be,
So prepare for death and follow me.

An unknown passerby read those words and underneath scratched this reply:

To follow you I'm not content,
Until I know which way you went.

This bids the question, where will you spend eternity—heaven or hell?

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" (Prov. 14:12).

If you are standing at the crossroads of destruction and life everlasting perhaps you need some directions.

The way of destruction is the "way which seemeth right unto a man." It promises worldly pleasures, acceptance, security, glory, and numerous avenues to earn your own salvation. This road is paved with good intentions, but it leads to eternal damnation.

But, thankfully, there is another path. It promises deliverance from the bondage of sin. This path brings peace, hope, and eternal life. According to the Scriptures, Christ is "the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father," but by Him. This is God's way, the way of faith.
THE GOOD NEWS OF SALVATION

Dear sinner friend, have you trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? Whether you realize it or not, you are dangling precariously over the lake of fire by one thin thread of human existence.

The Word of God teaches, "The wages of sin is death!" When Christ stepped across the stars into this world of sin and woe, death was powerless over Him. Christ knew no sin, therefore death could not lay its icy grip upon the shoulder of our Lord.

Tell me then, how is it that at the end of His earthly journey He is suffering and dying in shame and disgrace? You see, Christ wasn't dying for His sins, for He knew no sin. He was dying for your sins and my sins upon that cruel tree. Our sins and iniquities were laid upon Him that He might redeem us back to God through His precious blood.

Now God turns to a lost and dying world with the good news of Calvary. Simply believe that Christ died for your sins personally, was buried, and rose again the third day, and God will wonderfully save you from the wrath to come according to the riches of His grace.

Unsaved friend, there are thousands of ways to leave this life; when you do, make sure you do not leave without Christ. We beg you to remember the chilling voice of those that perished in the days of Noah, "believe, before it's too late!"

Fusebox

Banned
Grim Reaper eh? Excuse my atheist arse but thats a fairly heavy image coupled with some fairly heavy text for a kid to be taking home with his milk-bottles and and vampire teeth bro.

dem

I remember going to one of those "hell houses" on halloween when i was like.. 7 or so. I never went to church or anything before.. but my friend got me to go to the "haunted house" at the church.

There was kids acting out suicide and abortions and shit trying to scare us. I didnt even know what the **** was going on. I only figured out that it was actually a "hell house" this year. :lol

was scary though

C4Lukins

WalkMan said:
\\\

Well they can't all be winners now can they!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dem said:
I remember going to one of those "hell houses" on halloween when i was like.. 7 or so. I never went to church or anything before.. but my friend got me to go to the "haunted house" at the church.

There was kids acting out suicide and abortions and shit trying to scare us. I didnt even know what the **** was going on.

was scary though

Irony is such a forign concept to some of these people.

Fusebox said:
Grim Reaper eh? Excuse my atheist arse but thats a fairly heavy image coupled with some fairly heavy text for a kid to be taking home with his milk-bottles and and vampire teeth bro.

O'RLY?

The majority of kids who come around to the house are with their parents or older brother/sister, so that's not much of a problem.

First time we did it I thought the tracts would be thrown away within a few minutes. But the next day I rode around the neighborhood and didn't see any tracts on the ground.

Fusebox

Banned
Hypothetically Phoenix, how would your parents have reacted if you came home with a bunch of tracts (if the term is interchangeable) from different religions after a T'n'T session? What if your mum came in and found you gnawing on a redskin in one hand and reading the word of Mohammed the Prophet of Islam with your other hand?

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone gave my kid spam mail for their religion of choice while he was out scabbing lollies I'd be pissed.

AntoneM

PhoenixDark said:
What's wrong with this? My parents do this every year. If you don't want to read the tract you don't have to. They make sure to give out one that's pretty accessible and relevent to Halloween

whoever said your parents were right? Halloween is a day to be some one/something else with no repercussions (the standard laws still apply). It's a night where a "bad boy" can be prim and proper, a nerd can be a superhero, a little girl can be a princess and no one can give them sh1t for it. Telling some one that what they are celebrating is wrong ruins all the fun, It takes away the one day a year that they can be something they aren't. I don't care how nonconfrontational the tract is, the very act of handing it out is telling them that they are wrong or bad. Can't people have one goddamned day!?

Fusebox said:
Hypothetically Phoenix, how would your parents have reacted if you came home with a bunch of tracts (if the term is interchangeable) from different religions after a T'n'T session? What if your mum came in and found you gnawing on a redskin in one hand and reading the word of Mohammed the Prophet of Islam with your other hand?

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone gave my kid spam mail for their religion of choice while he was out scabbing lollies I'd be pissed.

How is it spam? If someone doesn't want it, they don't have to take it; it's not like we're going into people's mailboxes and distributing tracts. THAT would be spam.

And yes, I have gotten plenty of reading material from different religions. I read the Watchtower every now and then just to see what the Jehova Witnesses are up to lol. People have actually given us material on Halloween. One time this Muslim dude took one of our tracts, said "I'll be right back", and came back 10 minutes later with a short comicbook on the Muslim faith.

It's a great way to share information and start conversation. And if someone doesn't want the tract, they don't have to take it; so far no one has refused. Maybe it's because we give out kickass candy:)

max_cool said:
whoever said your parents were right? Halloween is a day to be some one/something else with no repercussions (the standard laws still apply). It's a night where a "bad boy" can be prim and proper, a nerd can be a superhero, a little girl can be a princess and no one can give them sh1t for it. Telling some one that what they are celebrating is wrong ruins all the fun, It takes away the one day a year that they can be something they aren't. I don't care how nonconfrontational the tract is, the very act of handing it out is telling them that they are wrong or bad. Can't people have one goddamned day!?

How is it telling anyone they're bad? We have nothing against tricker treating; if we did, we wouldn't be handing out candy in the first place.

Giving someone one tract and a handful of candy isn't going to ruin their Halloween. Let's leave the hyperbole out of the discussion mmk?

unifin

Wow - I'm all for the preaching of one's faith (I'm Christian), but those comics are a bit heavy on the fire-and-brimstone and a bit light on the love, tolerance, and acceptance Jesus was actually about.

ronito

If you have to lure someone to your church with candy and such things perhaps you should re-evaluate your belief system.

Fusebox

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
How is it spam? If someone doesn't want it, they don't have to take it; it's not like we're going into people's mailboxes and distributing tracts. THAT would be spam.

Fair enough, I'll be sure to give my child clear instructions how to politely refuse religious publications when they're offered to him.

Or will you not give him candy unless he takes the tract.

You wont will you?!?! YOU BASTARDS!! :lol

Fusebox said:
Fair enough, I'll be sure to give my child clear instructions how to politely refuse religious publications when they're offered to him.

Or will you not give him candy unless he takes the tract.

You wont will you?!?! YOU BASTARDS!! :lol

Why? If I had said I wouldn't take tracts from other religions, would you accuse me of being close minded?

They give everyone candy. And if you really want to chuckle: my mom used to give out candy, tracts and business cards (my dad's a dentist):lol

Fusebox

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Why? If I had said I wouldn't take tracts from other religions, would you accuse me of being close minded?

In the context of you being the parent as I asked the question? Not close-minded, more so hypocritical. :)

White Man

PhoenixDark said:
Would you be closeminded by telling your kids not to accept religious tracts?

Dude, it's such a cheap move to prey on little children like this. Children can't be expected to make religious decisions for themselves. Giving them shitty tracts like this is trying to coerce them to. That's wrong.

Fusebox

Banned
Not if I felt my children were mature enough to choose their own religion.

Hypothetically, if you gave my 10 year old your parents "Heaven or hell" tract from earlier then you'd really suck as a person in my opinion, but if you gave one to my 15 year old I'd tell them to read it and to make their own mind up.

Evolution vs the burning bush. Round #1, fight.

White Man said:
Dude, it's such a cheap move to prey on little children like this. Children can't be expected to make religious decisions for themselves. Giving them shitty tracts like this is trying to coerce them to. That's wrong.

A little kid isn't going to be too worried about the tract; he or she will most likely give it to the parents. And as I said earlier, most of the kids are with their parents, so they'll see what's going on.

Why is it a "shitty" tract?

Fusebox said:
Not if I felt my children were mature enough to choose their own religion.

Hypothetically, if you gave my 10 year old your parents "Heaven or hell" tract from earlier then you'd really suck as a person in my opinion, but if you gave one to my 15 year old I'd tell them to read it and to make their own mind up.

Evolution vs the burning bush. Round #1, fight.

We don't give out anything like that tract, luckily. The Epitaph one is pretty tame and accessible. It's a quick read, and if someone doesn't care for it they can throw it away.

White Man

PhoenixDark said:
A little kid isn't going to be too worried about the tract; he or she will most likely give it to the parents. And as I said earlier, most of the kids are with their parents, so they'll see what's going on.

So you're using a little kid as a rool to proselytize to his parents, then? That makes it alright?

Why is it a "shitty" tract?

I don't think I've ever seen a non corny tract. Besides, you're giving them out with a horrible intention.

thefit

I love halloween its one of those holidays where it doesn't matter what religion you are you know your gonna have fun hell even fundamentalists have fun with it passing out bibles and trying to convert everyone into there zanny religion..its like holloween tag!

Did you know that Halloween is second only to Christmas in the amount of money that is spent ? Good luck with the preaching there!

and damn check this out

"This year, the National Retail Federation expects consumers to spend a record $4.96 billion on costumes, cards, candy and decorations, up 51% from $3.29 billion a year ago. That translates to about $59.06 in spending for the average consumer. Halloween has turned into the second- or third-biggest party night of the year, depending on who's counting, behind New Year's Eve and Super Bowl Sunday. Hallmark makes more than 300 Halloween cards."

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/Advice/TheseDaysHalloweensABigDeal.aspx?GT1=8690

White Man said:
So you're using a little kid as a tool to proselytize to his parents, then? That makes it alright?

Wha? No one is being used as a tool here; if someone is interested in the tract they'll take something from it. No one is forced to read it, or believe anything. In the end it's just giving out information, and religous groups have just as much of a right to pass out stuff as anyone else.

White Man said:
I don't think I've ever seen a non corny tract. Besides, you're giving them out with a horrible intention.

What intention is that?

unifin

White Man said:
So you're using a little kid as a rool to proselytize to his parents, then? That makes it alright?

Who's "using" anyone? If the tracts PhoenixDark uses are as innocuous as he says they are, it's simply getting information out there - no one's forcing these people to read them. I personally think it's a shallow way of spreading the Gospel, but it could be a conversation-starter.

I fail to understand why you feel so threatened by these slips of paper. The everyday American is bombarded by countless pieces of advertising every day - why are you so caught up on these little tracts?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Didn't read the article or any of this thread, I just stopped by to mention that I hated those bitches that complained that Haloween was the work of the devil.

Dumb ass ignorant ****s don't even know it is a religious holiday!
NOW WHERES MY PUPPY TO SACRIFICE LET ME DRINK THE BLUD!

White Man

unifin said:
I fail to understand why you feel so threatened by these slips of paper. The everyday American is bombarded by countless pieces of advertising every day - why are you so caught up on these little tracts?

Because it's religious material being given to other people's children?

White Man said:
Tricking kids into reading about your own beliefs.

It's not tricking anyone - it's a pretty clear tract with a clear agenda. What's wrong with spreading information about my beliefs? Is that a crime all of a sudden?

unifin said:

Exactly. And like advertising, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, and if you don't like what I have to say...*gasp* you don't have to listen or do anything (IE don't take the tract, or take it and make your own decision) . How is there anything wrong with that?:lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
White Man said:
Because it's religious material being given to other people's children?

Nonsense. I'm going to hand out tracts that teach children about how sometimes two men can love each other just like a traditional mother and father do. And that it is perfectly fine. So what if it confuses the child and brings up issues they aren't old enough to understand. It will be in my right.

White Man

Goreomedy said:
Nonsense. I'm going to hand out tracts that teach children about how sometimes two men can love each other just like a traditional mother and father do. And that it is perfectly fine. So what if it confuses the child and brings up issues they aren't old enough to understand. It will be in my right.

And Halloween is the proper venue to be bringing that up? It's about putting on silly masks and getting candy, not endorsing sweeping social changes.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
White Man said:
And Halloween is the proper venue to be bringing that up? It's about putting on silly masks and getting candy, not endorsing sweeping social changes.

::puts Sarcasm tract in White Man's bag::

Dilbert

I don't give a rat's ass WHAT kind of religious stuff people want to hand out...as long as it doesn't interfere with the ladies' God-given right to dress up in slutty costumes and knock back a lot of drinks for one night a year.

Feel free to set these tracts on fire in the anti-Halloween bastards lawns.

One fukcing day to ourselves and they want to ruin it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom