• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

sooo, when is the PS3 gonna feel some cave love..

You can get the PS1 port of Dodonpachi from JP PSN. That's all you're ever going to get.

Cave's programmers have never worked with the PS3 and with the system pretty much at the end of its life cycle and the market for their genre already assembled on 360 there's absolutely no reason for them to start now.

PS3 will go for many more years. the possibility is there, and we know nothing about backwards compatibility yet. Cave could release all their games in 5 years and their audience would be there.

PS3 will go for many more years. the possibility is there, and we know nothing about backwards compatibility yet. Cave could release all their games in 5 years and their audience would be there.

People keep saying a market exists but never cite any hard evidence such claims are true. With very little exception, every shooting game producer has stuck with the 360 exclusively this generation. I like to think they have access to data we don't that justifies this decision.

As far as I know only one simultaneous 360/PS3 release was attempted this generation - Under Defeat HD. We'll never know how it went because both versions failed to chart - my suspicion is that they really sold the same number of copies as they would have if they stuck with a single platform, and both versions suffered because no one new entered the party.

BOTEC

games for console A or B could disappear tomorrow and companies would still release STGs on them. that's what the past teaches us.

That's only because the Dreamcast was so easy for devs to release their games. From everything we've heard, the PS3 is a complicated system which requires extended development time. That's the main reason that the 360 gets so much love. It's basically a PC, which everyone knows how to develop for. Quick and neat port jobs.

BOTEC

Hard to tell. Cave has made some statements about working closely with Microsoft on future projects. And since their platform choice has built a very STG friendly audience, others likely have similar plans. I definitively feel that Cave leads the next time around, and every one else follows.

i'd be surprised if the genre moves next gen anytime soon. it's way too expensive. digital only budget releases is the only option i could believe in, if we're talking about next gen. i'll have to see to believe it though.

BOTEC

i'd be surprised if the genre moves next gen anytime soon. it's way too expensive. digital only budget releases is the only option i could believe in, if we're talking about next gen. i'll have to see to believe it though.

Sure, I'm not expecting any STG's on launch.

gunstarhero

Famitsu scores are in for Ginga Force: 7/7/8/8, 30 points

"The quick tempo of Eschatos is combined with a new behind-the-ship view that's inserted into some sections, providing some graphical oomph," wrote editor Atsuhiro Fujiwara. "The mid-stage dialogue is pretty exciting, and it's all fully voiced, too. I like how you can power-up your ship through repeated playthroughs. The graphics are pretty unique, though, so you'll need to like them if you want to enjoy this."

Full article is up at Polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/6/3958360/japan-review-check-dragon-quest-vii-ginga-force

BOTEC

That's a surprise. Isn't that the highest rating for a shooter ever or something. They usually get in the mid 20's as far as I recall.
Famitsu reviews LOL

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
While I wait for Soukyogurentai ( . . . :[ ) I'm planning my next purchase:
- Shienryu (SAT)
- Strikers 1945 II (SAT)
- Muchi Muchi Pork!/Pink Sweets LE (360)

'spencive haul, but I've been meaning to get these for a while.

Got Giga Wing 2. I think I'm going to post an image of my shmup collection. Everyone else, follow my lead. It's time for updated collection images.

Yes Boss!

While I wait for Soukyogurentai ( . . . :[ ) I'm planning my next purchase:
- Shienryu (SAT)
- Strikers 1945 II (SAT)
- Muchi Muchi Pork!/Pink Sweets LE (360)

'spencive haul, but I've been meaning to get these for a while.

Pink/Pork gets a $30 budget re-release in about two weeks, if you don't know.

Got Giga Wing 2. I think I'm going to post an image of my shmup collection. Everyone else, follow my lead. It's time for updated collection images.

A good portion of my collection is still in CA :-(

Can anyone recommend me some shmups to play?

I haven't played any since ikaruga, but while vacationing in Tokyo, I spent a lot of money playing them in the arcades and it got me interested again. I just ordered Akai Katana to start off with.

oneida

Pink/Pork gets a $30 budget re-release in about two weeks, if you don't know.

I did not know! You just saved me >$80. Thanks!

Can anyone recommend me some shmups to play?

I haven't played any since ikaruga, but while vacationing in Tokyo, I spent a lot of money playing them in the arcades and it got me interested again. I just ordered Akai Katana to start off with.

I can't stand Ikaruga, but if you like Akai Katana (which is great) you should look into Guwange for its similar(ish) theme and Deathsmiles since it's also a horizontal CAVE. Both should cost you ~$10 and both are very good - Deathsmiles is much easier than both and its scoring system is maybe too straight-forward, but it's fun and cheap.

oneida

AmiAmi immediately comes to mind. Maybe Play-Asia too if you really have to have your dirt cheap, dirt slow shipping that still comes out more expensive than AmiAmi with faster shipping.

Thanks.

Alright, given that I was ready to spend $200+, here's the new plan:

-Shienryu (SAT)
-Strikers 1945 II (SAT)
-Gunbird (SAT)

Yes they are all available elsewhere for cheaper
But I want them on Saturn.

/edit/ Hmm... might rethink Gunbird. Looks colorful and fun though.
Either way, I'm excited for more shmup gets.

BOTEC

I've used Amiami a few times in the past, but I'm not thrilled with how they operate. You place the order online, then receive an invoice at a later date by email. Feels a bit amateruish. Also, the one time I had to cancel an order, the guy told me that they don't except cancellations, but that he'll let it slide that one time. It doesn't really seem that they're ready to operate on a global scale in the internet age.

oneida

Is anyone familiar with Jap-Sai? That's where I was planning on ordering these from.

/edit/ shmups.system11 seems to think highly of them. Think I'll take this route.

Metal slug was the only one I was half way decent at. Those games are hard as shit. 500 projectiles all coming from different angles... YEESH. Too hard core for this cowboy, but it is a fun way to unwind. Some of the hardest bosses in gaming are from THESE kinds of games lol.

I can't stand Ikaruga, but if you like Akai Katana (which is great) you should look into Guwange for its similar(ish) theme and Deathsmiles since it's also a horizontal CAVE. Both should cost you ~$10 and both are very good - Deathsmiles is much easier than both and its scoring system is maybe too straight-forward, but it's fun and cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those two out before buying any more.

oneida

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those two out before buying any more.
For some not-CAVE check out Raiden Fighters Aces, a collection of the terrific Raiden spin-offs. Some Gamestops still have it, and are only charging $10 for it. Worth it for the masterful third entry alone, which is one of the most fun video games (of any genre) that I've ever played.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Is anyone familiar with Jap-Sai? That's where I was planning on ordering these from.

/edit/ shmups.system11 seems to think highly of them. Think I'll take this route.

Jap-Sai is great. I buy from them often and the stuff is always in fantastic condition.

Guiz

Capcom announced an "Arcade Cabinet Collection"

Game Pack 1 - Available February 19th (US) 20th (EU) £3.99 / €4.99 / $4.99 / 400MSP

Black Tiger
1943: Battle of Midway
Avengers

Game Pack 2 - Available 5th March (US) / 6th March (EU). £7.99 / €9.99 / $9.99 / 800 MSP

Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Section Z

Game Pack 3 - Available 19th March (US) / 20th March (EU). £7.99 / €9.99 / $9.99 / 800 MSP

Side Arms
The Speed Rumbler
Exed Exes (Savage Bees)

Game Pack 4 - Available 2nd April (US) / 3rd April (EU). £7.99 / €9.99 / $9.99 / 800 MSP

Commando
Legendary Wings
Trojan

Game Pack 5 - Available 16th April (US) / 17th April (EU). £7.99 / €9.99 / $9.99 / 800MSP

SonSon
Pirate Ship Higemaru

All-in-One Pack - Available 16th April (US) / 17th April (EU). £23.99 / €29.99 / $29.99 / 2000 MSP

I saw there was some shooters in it such as 1942, 1943... (The only ones I know and played)
I think the price is a bit expensive but it could be interesting.

Source

Sorry if old

So get this, in the 2ch Ginga Force thread, some guy posted up some info from the Shooting Gameside issue that just came out, which had a 12 page feature on the game:

Apparently there are two entirely separate shooters hidden inside Ginga Force:

Judgment Force Tiger
Judgement Force Dragon

The details are a little sketchy in the report but apparently Tiger is a ground-based shooter where you go through the stages destroying ground-based enemies like cannons. Dragon on the other hand has you mowing down loads of flying enemies.

Both games have several stages and score attack rankings. They are unlocked by proceeding through the main story's chapters.

Sounds pretty cool. I'm really eager to sit down with this when it comes out.

Yes Boss!

And for shooter fans who don't follow the stick thread, Hori announced a Shooting stick. Generic, but clearly designed after Dodonpachi and with SDOJ release in mind. Also, the best mix of Seimitsu stick with Sanwa buttons (the pricier RG versions).

sdoj_zpsee9e580f.jpg

And for shooter fans who don't follow the stick thread, Hori announced a Shooting stick. Generic, but clearly designed after Dodonpachi and with SDOJ release in mind. Also, the best mix of Seimitsu stick with Sanwa buttons (the pricier RG versions).

sdoj_zpsee9e580f.jpg

Ah those are Sanwas? Sounds good, I thought they were stock Hori at first (which suck). My 360 stick is mad worn out, might pick that up.

Hey guys, I've been a pretty casual fan of the shooter genre, but I think that I really want to start digging into this genre more. I'm a really big fan of difficult games that push my nerves to the edge, so I'd love to go somewhere close to that. I loved Ikaruga, enjoyed Deathsmiles a lot, but I grew up endlessly playing Gradius and R-Type.

Where can I start? What do you recommend?

Yes Boss!

Ah those are Sanwas? Sounds good, I thought they were stock Hori at first (which suck). My 360 stick is mad worn out, might pick that up.

Yeah, but I think it is one of those "pre-order it and if we get enough, we will make it" kinda sticks. So might not actually get made (and a total bitch for non-japan-living folks to get even if it does get made).

Here is the famitsu link:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/09028348.html

So get this, in the 2ch Ginga Force thread, some guy posted up some info from the Shooting Gameside issue that just came out, which had a 12 page feature on the game:

Judgment Force Tiger
Judgement Force Dragon

The details are a little sketchy in the report but apparently Tiger is a ground-based shooter where you go through the stages destroying ground-based enemies like cannons. Dragon on the other hand has you mowing down loads of flying enemies.

Both games have several stages and score attack rankings. They are unlocked by proceeding through the main story's chapters.

Sounds good! :)

gunstarhero

Judgment Force Tiger
Judgement Force Dragon

That's awesome! Similar to what they did with Eschatos.

I cant wait for this game -

BOTEC

Yeah, but I think it is one of those "pre-order it and if we get enough, we will make it" kinda sticks. So might not actually get made (and a total bitch for non-japan-living folks to get even if it does get made).

Here is the famitsu link:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/09028348.html

On the bright side, the page seems to be inaccessible at the moment. I'd like to think the server is getting slammed with requests from interested users. I feel confident that Cave fans can make this happen.

Play-Asia would probably be the best bet for ordering this if you don't have someone in Japan willing to proxy it for you. I've heard murmurs that they actually have a direct distribution deal with Hori rather than going through Horistore like everyone else. (Goes a long way toward explaining how they got so many of the Project DIVA controllers with very little markup.)

Yes Boss!

Play-Asia would probably be the best bet for ordering this if you don't have someone in Japan willing to proxy it for you. I've heard murmurs that they actually have a direct distribution deal with Hori rather than going through Horistore like everyone else. (Goes a long way toward explaining how they got so many of the Project DIVA controllers with very little markup.)

Crosses fingers.

Top Bottom