• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miami Vice (the show) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Not to mention that the cocaine cowboy culture that was prevalent in the 80's that provided endless material for the show has long since been eradicated.

It's still out there, just not so prevalent in South FL.

Breaking Bad captures a bit of it. Tuco Salamanca, Tortuga, "The Cousins", etc.

I also would like recognize the Calderone's Revenge 2 Parter which features amazin use of The Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited" and Russ Ballard's "Voices".

That whole sequence of Crockett and Tubbs flying along in the cigarette boat intermixed with scenes from the pilot with "Voices" playing is pretty definitive Miami Vice.

Solo

A question I've had ever since playing Vice City as a kid: where does the 'vice' term come from Miami Vice and its relation to Miami (whatever came first)?

Depending on the country or jurisdiction, vice crimes may or may not be treated as a separate category in the criminal codes. Even in jurisdictions where vice is not explicitly delineated in the legal code, the term vice is often used in law enforcement and judicial systems as an umbrella for crimes involving activities that are considered inherently immoral, regardless of the legality or objective harm involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice

Raptomex

A question I've had ever since playing Vice City as a kid: where does the 'vice' term come from Miami Vice and its relation to Miami (whatever came first)?
Vice is a practice or a behavior or habit considered[by whom?] immoral, depraved, or degrading in the associated society. In more minor usage, vice can refer to a fault, a negative character trait, a defect, an infirmity, or a bad or unhealthy habit (such as an addiction to smoking). Synonyms for vice include fault, depravity, sin, iniquity, wickedness, and corruption.
Edit: Beaten.

I think only the first two seasons are really worth it. S3 goes darker and weirder and the whole show nosedives the final 3 seasons.

S1 and S2 are brilliant though.

I agree that the first two seasons are the best but the third season does have some great episodes such as "When Irish Eyes Are Crying", "El Viejo", "Streetwise" and "Theresa" but the show went really downhill is the 4th season starting with the Caitlin Davis arc and don't get me started on the 5th season.

Raptomex

Lets not forget Elvis.
TV-pets---Elvis--Miami-Vice-jpg_1351091570007_316917_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

strafer

What's a shame though is when you watch it with headphones on Netflix, when they talk it only comes out in the left speaker.

Damn mono.

Michael Mann needs to make a Miami Vice show again set in modern times.

I would totally be behind this. I would call the recent film a god damn pop masterpiece and it's a disgrace that the chotes here praise drive of all films over it.

The show was really good in early seasons too but it got a bit cheesy later.

Raptomex

The first season on Netflix, a few of the episodes have a terrible framerate as do some episodes of season 5. I'm assuming that's a streaming issue. Can't imagine it's like that on the DVDs.

strafer

The first season on Netflix, a few of the episodes have a terrible framerate as do some episodes of season 5. I'm assuming that's a streaming issue. Can't imagine it's like that on the DVDs.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Think I have to buy it on DVD.

Are they remastered or something?

Solo

You know what? I change my mind. It would be an unmitigated disaster in the wrong hands, but with a solid creative team behind, I'd be down for a new Vice series.

The movie wasn't bad if it were an episode of Miami Vice but it was a movie.

I couldn't dig my heels in and get engrossed like I could in the early days.

I liked the vibe but neither Farrell nor Foxx sold me.

Simply the best
ass.gifs
I remember having a conversation with a woman about how women's bodies have changed since the 80s.

A conversation that was inspired by an episode of Miami Vice. I think S2. Beach volleyball scene, if memory serves.

I think these two did a fairly decent job. Don Johnson even suggested Farell for the part.

XVhkyMH.jpg

The movie version is an interesting case for me. When I first saw it, I didn't like it. I thought Farrell was not very good and I felt Miami Vice divorced from the 80's was a horrible injustice. Though on subsequent viewings I found myself digging Farrell as Crockett and finding that Mann had captured how Vice should feel in the modern era. While its got its flaws especially the shaky script its actually a pretty darn good film.

FStop7

Banned
I think these two did a fairly decent job. Don Johnson even suggested Farell for the part.

XVhkyMH.jpg

Gong Li's bad acting and the incredibly overbearing romance sequences (especially excruciatingly drawn out trip to Cuba) really hurt the movie.

The bright spots were, as usual, the bad guys:

Jose Yero

ortiz-yero-miamivice_1201720702.jpg

and Arcangel de Jesus Montoya

Montoya.jpg

strafer

Mann talks Miami Vice in an interview he did.

MIAMI VICE (1984-90)

The show that made stars of Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas, as cops who dressed in well-tailored, pastel-colored clothes. Created by Anthony Yerkovich, with Mann’s extensive involvement in the first two seasons as a producer who helped, often uncredited, in writing, directing, and casting, Vice was famously conceived by NBC president Brandon Tartikoff with the latter’s two-word pitch: “MTV cops.” The series became so famous for its use of major-act rock music on its soundtrack that lists of its songs would be printed in newspapers the morning after it aired.

“The thing about this series now is that the reality of what the show did in, I would say, its first two and a half years is much different than the image of the show that’s entered the popular imagination, of what colors peoples’ memories of it: the pastel clothes, the flamingos in the opening credits, Elvis [the alligator] as Don Johnson’s pet. If you look at the first two seasons, there are some very strong, timely, serious stories being told. The decline in quality after that I ascribe completely as being my own fault; I wasn’t there nearly as much, I was getting into doing Manhunter, I was distracted. But go back and look at an episode like ‘Stone’s War’—it’s almost shocking to see now: It was Contragate with music by Jackson Browne ["Lives in the Balance"], about a CIA operation to get money and drugs out of Nicaragua to finance the [Iran-Contra] war. G. Gordon Liddy was a guest star.

(Indeed, it is striking to watch “Stone’s War” now, and to hear Johnson’s Sonny Crockett warn of “reruns of Vietnam in Central America,” and see Liddy — one of the Watergate master-mini-minds — play an Oliver North-like character who proves his Reagan-era bona fides by laying out on a table a length of thin rope strung with the severed ears of Sandinista insurgents. Then, too, there are also cool cars…)

“We wound up doing four soundtrack albums with music from the show, all of which went to No. 1. Glenn Frey was in the episode called ‘Smugglers Blues,’ the title taken from his song, and that episode was written by Miguel Pinero. There’s an episode called ‘No Exit’ that has an amazing cast including Bruce Willis in one of his earliest TV appearances, as an arms smuggler and wife-beater. It takes me two years to make a movie, roughly, so one of the ongoing attractions of doing a TV show is that, while you’re doing research for any project, you develop a huge backload of stuff – timely things, the way people talk, things that are happening in the culture at that time – that you can’t use if you wait for a movie release date. But when you’ve got a TV show up and running, you can get stuff out there, into the world, relatively quickly. Plus, I got to work with an awful lot of good actors and non-actors. We really ran the gamut: Giancarlo Esposito, John Turturro, Eartha Kitt, Frank Zappa, Little Richard, Lee Iacocca, Ted Nugent, Kyra Sedgwick, Leonard Cohen.”

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2012/01/21/michael-mann-interview-luck-hbo/

I'd certainly be up for a new Miami Vice series, if Mann was involved. Luck was one of the best shows in the past several years, of course a large part of that was Milch. But I'd definitely like a return to the world of Miami Vice, either set in modern days or the 80s. Well as long as it wasn't put on a network where it would never last. AMC, FX, or HBO would be great (don't get Showtime).

This is true but the serious bits of drama were tempered with a little comedic relief.

Miami Vice the film was completely self-serious and heavy handed.

I do not want more Mann Vice, he has lost his grasp on it.

Solo

I'd certainly be up for a new Miami Vice series, if Mann was involved. Luck was one of the best shows in the past several years, of course a large part of that was Milch. But I'd definitely like a return to the world of Miami Vice, either set in modern days or the 80s. Well as long as it wasn't put on a network. AMC, FX, or HBO would be great (don't get Showtime).

I can suddenly imagine a Milch/Mann Vice in the vein of Luck.....and it's......amazing.

I can suddenly imagine a Milch/Mann Vice in the vein of Luck.....and it's......amazing.

The stuff of dreams.

This is true but the serious bits of drama were tempered with a little comedic relief.

Miami Vice the film was completely self-serious and heavy handed.

I do not want more Mann Vice, he has lost his grasp on it.

Luck was such a beautiful show though. I'd be find with Mann not involved in the writing (although I did love the movie), but I would definitely love for it to have his look.

Solo

Despite the fact that he was already in the movie as a villain, any reincarnation of the show HAS to star John Ortiz. Preferably as Castillo this time.

Despite the fact that he was already in the movie as a villain, any reincarnation of the show HAS to star John Ortiz. Preferably as Castillo this time.

He'd be great. Loved him in Luck even though I could barely understand half the shit he was saying.

Gong Li's bad acting and the incredibly overbearing romance sequences (especially excruciatingly drawn out trip to Cuba) really hurt the movie.

The bright spots were, as usual, the bad guys:

Jose Yero

ortiz-yero-miamivice_1201720702.jpg

and Arcangel de Jesus Montoya

Montoya.jpg

I don't really have a problem with Gong Li's acting, but yeah it probably wasn't wise for Mann to hire an actress for a rather large part that can't speak English. Yero and Montoya were definitely great. I also loved Yero's scary ass looking bodyguard.

Solo

He'd be great. Loved him in Luck even though I could barely understand half the shit he was saying.

I love the guy, he really sinks into roles. In Luck, he was almost (intentionally) unintelligible. In MV 2006, he has another flavour altogether. Then in Silver Linings Playbook, he speaks crystal clear and plays a real straight laced guy.

Raptomex

Out of all the episodes in Season 5 the one with Pruitt Taylor Vince was pretty cool. He played one of the escaped prisoners.
115016.jpg

And the dude playing Castillo in the movie did a terrible job. Just wasn't feeling it.

Out of all the episodes in Season 5 the one with Pruitt Taylor Vince was pretty cool. He played one of the escaped prisoners.
115016.jpg

And the dude playing Castillo in the movie did a terrible job. Just wasn't feeling it.

Aww, I liked ole Shabaka in the role. Definitely a completely different character than Olmos's Castillo, but I thought he was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom