• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Guacamelee Gameplay (PS3/Vita)

Cyberia

And have at it I did. Below, you can see my full video preview, rife with impressions of the first 90 minutes of the game. In short, I’m having a blast so far, and I think that PS3 and Vita owners are going to be quite pleased with what DrinkBox Studios – the minds behind the Tales From Space series on Sony’s console (About A Blob) and handheld (Mutant Blobs Attack) – have in store for them.

Our video preview (and the subsequent trailer) should tell you everything you need to know about the game, but in case you’re curious, here are a few parting thoughts. Guacamelee! is exclusive to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, and while pricing and cross-buy details have yet to be determined, the game will support cross-save between PS3 and Vita, local co-op on PS3, and Vita second controller functionality with PS3 (specifically used to take a look at the game’s extensive map on the fly).
The game borrows heavily from the “Metroidvania” stylings set down in the ‘90s by the likes of Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but with a humorous, sarcastic and cartoonish twist. There are collectibles galore to find, varied terrain to explore, side quests to do, items to buy, and all of the other conventions of games in the genre(s). And it will be out in the coming months.
Oh, and the game has a Platinum Trophy. And you know how I feel about Platinum Trophies.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/15/the-glory-of-ps3-and-vitas-metroidvania-romp-guacamelee

Gameplay Walkthrough (Rev3Games)

Trailer

kadotsu

Banned
Looks great. The only thing I don't like visually are the right angled speech bubbles, they don't fit the style that well. Day 1 regardless.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sold!

Platinum...

If Double Platinum by the way of Insta-Ping!, Double Sold!

Along with Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami and hopefully Machinarium, I am down for this on vita, where I probably wouldn't have bothered grabbing them just for the ps3, seems like a good game to have there for little play sessions. I'd love that Outland game on Vita.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Looks fantastic! Looking VERY forward to this. I hope it's cross-buy but if not I'll just get it on Vita.

I'm not buying the Vita version if it's not cross-buy,this sound it will be a way better to be locally with a real person next to you(Vita really need local co-op option)

Ocaso

If only this would sell enough to convince more devs to make more pathfinding games. I'm still rather annoyed that Shadow Complex never got a sequel. Alas, the chance seems slim, but I'll do my part. Will cross-buy if the price is right.

VanWinkle

I'm not buying the Vita version if it's not cross-buy,this sound it will be a way better to be locally with a real person next to you(Vita really need local co-op option)

Nothing wrong with that. I'd love co-op, but I care more for the instant on and portability of the Vita version than the co-op. Obviously what would be best would be cross-buy though, so I didn't have to choose :p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If it's not cross play, then Vita version for me. If I get it on the PS3, it'll just sit in my PS3 back log with the other 100+ games I have downloaded to it.

Omikaru

That Rev3 video sold me on the game. I was keeping a good eye on it, but now I'm definitely interested. Looks amazing!

I should hope it's cross-buy, seems silly to make a downloadable title cross-controller if it's not cross-buy.

Really looking forward to this. I've got some PSN credit waiting!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Art style is ridiculously amazing. I love the colour.

Also, I finally reached 100% in Mutant Blobs last week. Fun game! Guacamelee looks like it'll be on a whole other level though. I have a soft spot for Metroidvanias (enjoyed Outland a bunch, even though it was really light on exploration and upgrades).

zroid

Banned
Mutant Blobs was decent, but everything I've seen of Guacamelee is blowing me away. I'm seriously excited. I rarely buy PSN games day one (Journey was my last time), and I think this will merit being one of those few.

Top Bottom