• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project $10 now is project $53687091

EvB

Customer Service Fail
http://www.bordersdown.net/content/616-EA-Xbox-Support-and-the-%A337-000-000-DLC

http://martypg13.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/dlc-ea-xbox-support-and-wrongs-of.html

attachment.php

Basically Microsoft seem to have delisted the Online Pass for Tiger Woods 2012 (the one that is included with the game, not the one you can buy for 800MSP) and nobody will accept responsibility. It's mildly amusing.

One of Bordersdown's old writers, Marty, has hit a snag in system. This glitch in the matrix shows just how frustrating and limited the current setup for codes and DLC and online passes really is when it comes to getting support. What seems like a simple problem has just created slopey shoulders and everyone's time wasted. In fact it has probably cost EA and MS vastly more in time to listen and ignore the problem than it would have to just say "Hey, we'll fix this for you!"

So, he bought a new sealed game and for some reason the online pass has been removed from Xbox Live, even though online is still active for a while yet. So if you've already used the pass in the past, you can download it again easily, but if you are a new customer, you aren't allowed to use the online component code that comes in the box. Well, you are, but it will cost you £37,000,000+ which even for gaming obsessives is an unusually large amount of cash and probably not worth it.

So who has ultimately removed the content MS via a mistake? Or have EA told MS to removed it?
You can still get the online pass for Bad Company 2.
Does this online pass only allow online play?
Is this what you get for supporting the industry buying new games? A pass that can't be downloaded, they now making us buy day one?

The codes expire, I wonder if that is what has happened?

lolwat, you're telling me that a new unsealed game can sit on a shelf and be sold with an unusable code unknown to both the store and consumer? That something you bought and paid for can be expired at all? surely you can't be serious. There has to be grounds for a lawsuit in here somewhere

Red-Shift

Neo Member
I can't wait for the day such a fuck up is big enough to enrage thousands of consumers to finally take digital content providers to court in a class action lawsuit. Thanks to Terms of Service agreements consumer rights, basically got abolished. The thought Apple, Microsoft and co technically have the right to turn off their services, leaving you with nothing once your console inevitably kicks the bucket, makes me sick to my stomach.

lolwat, you're telling me that a new unsealed game can sit on a shelf and be sold with an unusable code unknown to both the store and consumer? That something you bought and paid for can be expired at all? surely you can't be serious. There has to be grounds for a lawsuit in here somewhere

Yes. It's EA.

EvB

I'm sure I've read they expire, but I just looked at my NFS one and it doesn't say anything, perhaps that was a few years ago when they first started it

Rapstah

The Dragon Age II pass in my copy, for example, expired a year after the game released.

Yes. It's EA.

The Dragon Age II pass in my copy, for example, expired a year after the game released.

Not sure if this goes for all games, but it does say on the back of the box when the code expires for Dragon Age 2. It also says when it expires on the little paper that you find the code on, although of course that cannot be seen until you unseal the case.

I don't understand how this could happen. Sure if the servers were offline and the £8 version didn't exist I could understand then why the slip would be delisted but this just seems odd.

Then again this is why I dislike registration cards. The piece of paper might as well be blank if it lacks an expiration date or this information will turn out to be incorrect.

U2NUMB

Seems to be a trend with EA online passes more than others. I bought NFS The Run (I know I know) for 9.99 brand new. It was about 11 months after the release of the game at the time when I tried to enter it into PSN and nope.. expired. So I would need to double the cost of the game to play online.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Well, how else are you* going to be able to afford £37,000,000+ worth of MSP? Lazy, entitled gamer! ;)

* "you" being this Marty guy, unless you actually are Marty.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
I'm sure I've read they expire, but I just looked at my NFS one and it doesn't say anything, perhaps that was a few years ago when they first started it

Seriously, if that expiration date isn't noted on the box, it shouldn't even matter! And EA isn't the only company doing that. A friend of mine bought a sealed MW3 Hardened Edition on eBay paying more, since he thought he would save $60 bucks on DLC as advertised on the back of the box. Lo and behold once opened he noticed, Activision put an expiration date on those codes as well. He contacted Activision's support, but instead of doing the correct thing, exchanging his obviously unused Premium code for Collection Pack codes, they simply told him that the Premium service was discontinued and that he is "free to purchase the DLC" from the PSN store.

EvB

Ah I see.

I'd need more than just a second job methinks, I'd have to turn to a life of crime to support my* bizarre habit of playing old golf games.

*I can't stand golf. In videogame or real life forms.

drkOne

Don't know if this still holds true, but I'm pretty sure people had to re-purchase (it's supposed to be free? I don't even know why they'd do it if it's free) the online code for Hot Pursuit after 2 years or so.
From EA themselves "Dragon Age 2, for example, has an Online Pass that expires on March 31, 2012, according to EA's EULA description."

Acidote

I had my ME3 online pass expire a few months after I redeemed and used it on my xbox. It expired while redeemed and in use. I had to contact EA customer service. So, it's no surprise they expire unredeemed too. And yes, it's shitting on your customers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, how else are you* going to be able to afford £37,000,000+ worth of MSP? Lazy, entitled gamer! ;)

* "you" being this Marty guy, unless you actually are Marty.
Seriously. These spoiled gamers think they are entitled to play the games they bought. Poor fools!

EvB

aaron.jpg

He's got Aaron Greeburg's Attention. I wonder how long it is going to take for somebody to flick the switch?

And then they sit back and wonder why they win Worst Company of the Year.

I can understand there being some language in there about 'this content will not always be available' or something to cover themselves, but why hard code an expiration date that's only like a year old? Makes no sense to me other than to deliberately shaft customers.

EvB

This isn't down to expiration this time, I think the expiration is partly there to cover their backs should they ever choose to take the content down for other reasons.

The problem is that the actual DLC and the online pass data has physically been removed from the marketplace by accident.

Because the DLC and online pass have somehow been de-listed, it can't ever be redeemed, thus used even though the game was bought brand new.
All of the DLC and the Online Pass is still available on PSN.
MS acknowledged the hacks by adding security proofs on Xbox live.
Here's a story for you about EA, after speaking to an origin customer service person, 6 hours later I received a text at 5am saying my live ID password had been requested to be changed.
Never happened to me once in 8 years and after speaking to Origin customer service, attempt was made, dodgy as fuck if you ask me.

EvB

Ea have given him a Copy of Tiger Woods 13, but he is still trying to single handily destroy Microsoft for this blasphemy. or something

Ea have given him a Copy of Tiger Woods 13, but he is still trying to single handily destroy Microsoft for this blasphemy. or something

:/

so find a sealed copy of tiger woods 12. Call support get 13 in the mail a week or so later?

Its a nice favor to him, but really the answer to what he wanted. He can't play Tiger woods 12 online.

Kritz

Banned
Comp sci fun fact: 4294967295 is the maximum number a 32-bit integer can hold. I imagine someone just mashed 99999999999999999... On their keyboard and it delegated to the number in the image.

Top Bottom