• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2013. Trapped in humorless world, Prankster decides to end it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
d40kAmM.png

Lq2lUNV.png

It's Easter Sunday and it's late and I'm tired so let's cut to the chase. Here are some of the spotlight titles from each publisher for April:

MR6n8.png

9V0h90A.jpg

esCx5pz.jpg

+Indestructible Hulk #6 by Mark Waid and Walt Simonson (April 3). Dr. Banner takes his science team into the field, and when that field is Jotunheim you can bet that trouble -- and a certain hammer-wielding god -- won't be far behind. Legendary Thor artist Walt Simonson returns, to illustrate this epic Hulk/Thor team-up!
+Thanos Rising #1 by Jason Aaron and Simone Bianchi (April 3). Audiences spotted him for a split second at the end of last summer's blockbuster film. But who is Thanos, the Mad Titan? What fuels his strange obsession with death and destruction? Discover the answers, as Aaron and Bianchi present the early days of the most dangerous Marvel villain ever!
+Avengers Arena #7 & 8 by Dennis Hopeless and Alessandro Vitti (April 10 & 24). It's twice the fun and twice the murder, as Avengers Arena double-ships! First, in #7's interlude discover how Arcade went from harmless joke to sadistic killer of children. Then, an all-new storyline begins in #8, as dark and shocking secrets about X-23 and the new Darkhawk are revealed.
+Hawkeye #9 & 10 by Matt Fraction and David Aja (April 10 & 24). Someone's out to get the Avengers, and they're starting off with Hawkeye! Will this mysterious attacker succeed? Not of the women in Clint's life -- the ex-girlfriend, the ex-wife, the (girl?)friend, and the sidekick -- have anything to say about it. Double-shipping Hawkeye makes this the best month ever!
+Captain America #6 by Rick Remender and John Romita Jr. (April 17). The thrilling adventures in Dimension Z continue! With his adopted son in the clutches of the nefarious Arnim Zola, Steve launches a desperate rescue attempt! As hero and villain square off, a deadly betrayal will spell disaster for one... but which one?
+FF #6 by Matt Fraction and Mike Allred (April 24). In issue #3, they harassed and embarassed her in her dressing room. This time, it's personal. Darla Deering, the FF member known as Miss Thing, takes on the Yancy Street Gang, and nothing will ever be the same again. EVER.

QV0uw.png

osSPqQr.jpg

lU1AuEI.jpg

+The Phantom Stranger #7 by Writer and Artist (April 3). "Do you dare ask who slayed the Stranger?" Look, about half of these not-called-that-anymore "WTF Certified" covers have already been spoiled, and this one's no exception. But the real surprise isn't the person holding that spear, it's
the Question behind him, giving the order to stab.
+Batman: Lil Gotham #1 by Dustin Nguyen (April 10). Available in print for the first time! In the first of two tales, Batman must teach his new sidekick Robin the true meaning of Halloween. Then, as Gotham's families gather round the dinner table to celebrate Thanksgiving, the Penguin stages an avian revolt!
+Saucer Country #14 by Paul Cornell and Ryan Kelly (April 10). FINAL ISSUE. After fourteen issues, New Mexico governor and presidential candidate Arcadia Alvarado has finally uncovered the truth behind the alien invasion of our planet. But what will she choose to do with this information? The answer will shock you, and change the world forever.
+Justice League #19 by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis (April 17). "Who is the one person dangerous enough to use Kryptonite against Superman?" Seriously guys, if the answer to that question turns out NOT to be
the gosh darn Batman purplemonkeydishwasherlookhowlongthisspoilertagis
, THEN this cover will have actually succeeded in making me say WTF.
+All Star Western #19 by Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat (April 24). "What type of gold means certain death for Jonah Hex?" It's
Booster Gold, of course. People guessed it was Booster Gold from Day 1, the artwork makes it pretty clear it's Booster Gold, and DC's done a terrible job of keeping his return a secret. Booster. Gold.
+The Flash #19 by Brian Buccallato and Marcio Takara (April 24). "What is the latest and greatest threat to The Flash and all those closest to him?" Well, we already know from DC's PR campaign that it's
the New52 Zoom, with a snazzy new costume that's so not-yellow it's hard to tell that it's Zoom. ...So, is it really Zoom? Maybe it's not Zoom.

9sam5.png

AZ2sV9d.jpg

7RdmXVG.jpg

+Invincible Universe #1 by Phil Hester and Todd Nauck (April 10). In the aftermath of the devastating battle between Dinosaurus and Invincible, the heroes of Earth come together to remedy the damage dealt. Can they succeed, or is the worst yet to come? Find out in this all-new series featuring the entire superheroic cast of... the Invincible Universe!
+Saga #12 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (April 10). "Prince Robot IV makes his move." Not a whole lot to go on, to be honest, and since I don't follow this series I have no idea what any of that means? Is Prince Robot the TV-headed guy? And what happened to his leg? And why does he have a TV for a head?
+Sex #2 by Joe Casey and Piotr Kowalski (April 10). Simon Cooke's days as a grim avenger of the night are over. But what happens next? What about all those repressed feelings and desires, stored up over a lifetime devoted to seeking justice instead of pleasure? Well, if the previous issue is anything to go by, it's going to be messy. Bring Scotchguard.
+Chin Music #1 by Steve Niles and Tony Harris (April 17). From the creative team of Niles and Harris comes an all-new series blending the supernatural with gangland crime! Shaw is on the run, pursued by ancient enemies of arcane power, and finds himself in Chicago at the height of Prohibition. Can he handle both the mob and his demonic adversaries?
+Jupiter's Legacy #1 by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely (April 24). Acclaimed author Mark Millar and superstar artist Frank Quitely join forces to bring to you the comic event of 2013! [/hyperbole] The world's greatest heroes have passed on their crimefighting legacy to their children. But that legacy is a poisonous one, and one they can never hope to live up to, which begs the question -- why would they want to?
+The Mighty Skullkickers #1 by Jim Zub and Edwin Huang (April 24). The spoofing continues! For its twenty-first issue the Skullkickers saga reboots yet again with a bold, new direction for a bold, new era of comics! What will happen next? (Here's a hint: another new adjective next month.)

9CWx4.png

QGjxSpa.jpg

8x0lpMN.jpg

+Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible #1 by Mike Mignola, Scott Allie and Sebastian Fiumara (April 3). The creator of Hellboy launches an all-new series, starring the B.P.R.D.'s piscine protagonist! Irrevocably altered and on the run from the organization he once worked for, Abe embarks on a journey across a devastated America, touring ruined cities and avoiding giant monsters.
+Star Wars #4 by Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda (April 10). The early, untold story of the epic space saga continues! With an Imperial spy in their midst, rebel leader Princess Leia and her squad set a trap to lure him/her out. Meanwhile, Han Solo continues to evade his pursuers by entering the bowels of Coruscant lower levels, while Luke Skywalker gets grounded and spends time with a female friend.
+X #0 by Duane Swierczynski and Eric Nguyen (April 10). One mark means you've been warned; two, means you're dead! The crime bosses of decaying Arcadia City have been given a message, and its nature can mean only one thing: that their time has run out, and the mysterious X is back to end them all. Dark Horse's brutal vigilante hero returns in an all-new series!
+House of Gold and Bones #1 by Corey Taylor and Richard Clark (April 17). Corey Taylor of the bands Slipknot and Stone Sour presents a new fantasy series, inspired by the Stone Sour album of the same name. Trapped on another world, the Human is chased and haunted as he journeys to the House of Gold and Bones, where he'll find either salvation... or destruction.
+Amala's Blade #1 by Steve Horton and Michael Dialynas (April 24). Amala is the deadliest assassin in the kingdom of Naamaron, feared equally by both sides in the war dividing the land. But Amala's amazing skills are drawing too much attention for her master's liking, and hoping to rid himself of this troublesome girl he sends her on a hopeless suicide mission. Will Amala triumph against the odds? (Her name's in the title, isn't it?)
+The Last of Us: American Dreams #1 by Neil Druckmann and Faith Erin Hicks (April 24). Based on the upcoming PS3 game from Naughty Dog Studios! In this prequel story set in the violent, post-pandemic world of the game, young Ellies has just been enrolled at a military boarding school. Her rebellious attitude and defiance of authority quickly earns her enemies, leading to an encounter with the outside world and the horrors that await there.
+Star Wars: Legacy v.2 #2 by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman (April 24). The Solo family lives on, in this all-new Expanded Universe saga! Ania Solo, great-great-granddaughter of Han and Leia Solo, unexpectedly finds herself in possession of a strange communications droid and an old lightsaber. Now, she's on the run and being targeted for death by an Imperial Knight! Can she escape his clutches and live long enough to discover the reason she's marked for termination? Find out, and see why (according to GAF) this is the Star Wars comic you should be reading!

ymY7S.png

rQCREtZ.jpg

qQ0mY2x.jpg

+The Colonized #1 by Chris Ryall and Drew Moss (April 10). When an alien spacecraft crash lands in the heart of a militarized camp founded by government separatists, the energies released have the unexpected side effect of resurrecting the dead! Now armed rebels battle angry extraterrestrials while an ever-growing horde of zombies threatens to swallow them both! Each issue features a cover by legendary Cerebus creator/artist Dave Sim!
+Danger Girl Trinity #1 by Andy Hartnell and John Royle (April 10). They're back! Abbey Chase, Sidney Savage, and her sister Sonya are the Danger Girls, and this time they'll embark on their own separate adventures, each a daring tale of mystery, intrigue and excitement. These stories will eventually weave together for a stunning surprise that will shock the book's cast and readers alike.
+Dungeons & Dragons: Cutter #1 by R.A. Salvatore, Geno Salvatore and David Baldeon (April 10). An all-new D&D series, written by the father-son team of R.A. and Geno Salvatore! In the Drow kingdom, half-blooded siblings Tierflin and Doumweille are forced to battle each other, to decide which one of them will become their father's heir and possess the mystical sword known as the Cutter. But the sword itself may have its own ideas on the matter...
+G.I. Joe: The Cobra Files #1 by Mike Costa and Antonio Fusa (April 10). Once, she was known as Chameleon, an agent of the organization known as COBRA. Now, she's part of the Joe team, and working hard to earn their trust. But trust doesn't come easy when you're an ex-snake, and when team leader Flint puts the fates of his men into her hands, she'll have to fight hard to prove herself worthy... and to avoid the temptations of returning to the snake way.
+Doctor Who #8 by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Horacio Domingues (April 17). The year is 1965, and a Russian cosmonaut is about to attempt the first human spacewalk. But when he is swallowed up by shadows and disappears, only the Doctor can intervene to save the doomed spaceman and his historic mission.
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Works vol. 1 by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird (April 24). T-U-R-T-L-E POWER! This handsome hardcover collection reprints the first seven issues of the original TMNT series by Eastman/Laird, plus the spinoff Raphael micro series, reproduced here in glorious full color. No Turtle fan should be without!

4T1fu.png

ooqSPmL.jpg

jKiQxTK.jpg

+Miss Fury #1 by Rob Williams and Jackson Herbert (Dynamite Entertainment, April 3). The 1940s pulp heroine returns, in a bold new series! After foiling a plot on American soil during World War 2, Miss Fury finds herself hurled through time to the year 2013, where Nazi agents continue to threaten our modern way of life. But as Fury tracks down and vanquishes her foes, she begins to question her own sanity, and whether her time-traveling adventures are real or a deluded fantasy.
+Gold Digger #200 by Fred Perry (Antarctic Press, April 24). After two decades, Fred Perry's one-man show reaches its 200th (50 B&W issues, 150 color) milestone! For this special occasion, archeologist adventurer Gina Diggers journeys to a lost Mayan temple located on Monster Island, and this time everyone's available to lend a hand. That's right, everyone, and she'll need them all if she's to survive what comes next!
+Regular Show #1 by K.C. Green and Allison Strejlau (Boom! Studios, April 24). The popular Cartoon Network show gets its own exciting comic book series! Mordecai the Bluejay and Rigby the Raccoon are just a couple of ordinary guys, friends who love hanging out and enjoying life. But the world they live in is anything but normal, and that means their days are anything but regular.
+Mega Man #24 by Ian Flynn and Matt Herms (Archie Comics, April 10). It's the crossover event you've all been waiting for! For the first time ever, robotic hero Mega Man and speedy hero Sonic the Hedgehog are going to meet... and fight! But why are they fighting each other? Only their respective nemeses Dr. Wily and Dr. Eggman know for sure, and they're not telling -- but they're loving every minute of it!
+Harbinger Wars #1 by Joshua D.M. Dysart and Clayton Henry (Valiant Comics, April 3). The time has come for the first crossover event in the new era of Valiant! When a group of untrained, undisciplined superpowered kids escapes from a top secret facility, everyone wants to get their hands on them and the power they wield. And with Toyo Harada, Peter Stanchek, and Bloodshot on their trail, it's only a matter of time before paths cross, a showdown ensues, and blood and secrets are shed.
+Sixth Gun #30 by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt (Oni Press, April 17). The world is not as it should be. With the power of the Six, magical pistols with the power to alter reality, it has been altered and reshaped by the hand of man. Becky Montcrief has witnessed first-hand the power of the Six, and now with the help of a vision quest, she'll see what their power may yet do to the world.

UPUg2.png
BOmCm.png

What is "On the Bullhorn"?
"On the Bullhorn" is your opportunity to get on that soapbox that TToB vacated. Each month I'll leave this space empty, and it's your job to fill it, Comic-GAF, with whatever you want. Got a book you want to promote? A writer? An artist? Got something to get off your chest, a pet peeve or storytelling trope you can't keep silent about? Just want to rant for a bit? Then type it up, provide some pics, and send it to me via PM so I can post it in the OP.

Or don't, and this can stay blank. Up to you.

Here's this month's "On the Bullhorn" segment, brought to you by... no one. Yet.

On the Bullhorn

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy Reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZACzrsc.jpg

I don't like a Johnathan Hickman penned event. Brah doesn't realize he is working with incredible artists and still writes like he is doing Power Point TM presentations...

Double D

I've recently returned to comics a bit due to me getting a Retina iPad and that crazy Marvel sale where like 700 comics were free.

Since then I've bought Saga Vol 1 and loved it. Is there anywhere I can go to find out a release schedule for digital 'trades' coming to comixology? I'd like to know if I should wait for a Vol 2 or just start buying the single issues. Same for Hawkeye. I know a TP was released, but when can I expect on comixology?

Owzers

5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release. (NOTE: Longer? -Spike)

Longer I say.. Do not ruin this thread by turning it into a Comics! l Spoilers OT l :(

Unrelated/related: I'm on to New X-Men Ult Collection vol 3 and i have no idea how i managed to be on comics forums and not having this book completely spoiled by now for me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hawkguy, hells yeah.

BTW, how good (or bad) is The Last of Us? Most adaptations are trite, but I think it could make a decent comic.

arkon

Hmm. Gonna check out the Regular Show comic. Hopefully it's as fun as the main Adventure Time ongoing. Need that dose of fun comics.

Might also have a look at the Abe Sapien ongoing. Only problem is I've barely scratched the surface of the Mignolaverse. I wonder if it's not better to hold off and read the other material first and then catch in a nice TPB or hardcover.

akira28

A gem from one of the Legion Archives issues I recently read.

So of course it's Saturn Girl who ends up being the one who saves them all. Using her telepathy to soothe the Earthquake Beast, right?

edit: huh. April Fools huh. I remember when I could appreciate that.

Captain N

Can't wait for Green Arrow & Superior this week. Two of my favorite books. Well Green Arrow just shot up to the top after issue 17. I wish Superman were better. :/

akira28

Nope. Early Brainiac 5 is just an asshole... Which is pretty much all Brainiac 5s.

Well there was that one time he got that emotional IQ upgrade, he was pretty cool for a few months. And he does lately have a thing for selecting female agents, with Vi being his usual black ops go to.

CASSANOVA IS BACK BABY

When CASANOVA returns at the end of the year, the main story by Moon and me will be backed up by shorts created by Michael Chabon and Bá.

He keeps saying “Like TALES OF ASGARD” and I’m not sure if he’s kidding or not.

CASANOVA IV

Fraction • Moon • Chabon • Bá • Peter • And, siiiigh, Dharbin.

Marvle/Icon 2013.

My InStockTrades order just shipped out today, so hopefully Casanova arrives sometime this week (though most likely next week). Also my Phase One BD set arrives tomorrow, so stupidly excited for it.

Pull for this week:

- ANXM #9
- Green Arrow #19

CASSANOVA IS BACK BABY

HA! My order shipped just in time then!

Roman

Great thread!

I think you forgot the publisher in the entry for Sixth Gun (Oni).

Is anyone reading Gold Digger? I looked into it a few days ago and my reaction was that it looked like bad furry deviantart. Then I saw Fred Perry actually uploads his works on deviantart and has had an account for 7 years.

Well there was that one time he got that emotional IQ upgrade, he was pretty cool for a few months. And he does lately have a thing for selecting female agents, with Vi being his usual black ops go to.

Oh I know. It's just a great window into the time period. It's progressive in some ways for its time, but the same in many others; And yeah, the Espionage Squad tends to be specific characters for obvious reasons. I do appreciate that Vi has been more prominent in the last few issues.

arkon

Booster gold remakes the DC universe with the help of The Flash. Of course, there are some tweaks that he slips in there.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
How is All Star Western? I've wanted to get the first TPB of it for awhile. I'm talking about the New 52 series.

MARVEL MONDAY. Ain't shit coming out this week. Previews. ONLY ONE BOOK.

Age of Apocalypse #14
Age of Ultron #4
All-New X-Men #10
Deadpool #7
Indestructible Hulk #6
Red She-Hulk #64
Superior Spider-Man #7
Thanos Rising #1
Ultimate Comics X-Men #25
Venom #33
Winter Soldier #17

Comics Beat
DC Comics has voided the contracts of all it’s writers today. The not entirely unanticipated move signals a more formal policy towards editorially directed stories.

“Jerry Krause was right,” said DC co-publisher Dan DiDio, quoting the General Manager credited with breaking up the Michael Jordan era Chicago Bulls. ”Players don’t win championships, organizations win championships. DC Comics is an organization and we’re making some adjustments to better align our product with the organization.”

The new writing structure is as follows: DiDio will co-plot all 52 of DC’s core universe titles with each title’s respective editor. Scripting duties will be passed down to assistant editors.

“Editors are the real stars,” explained DiDio. ”Freelance writers dilute the editorial vision. They’re not in the office so if you need to make a change, you have to track them down. They don’t always correctly interpret direction. By making this simple organizational adjustment, fans will be able to experience comics that are more accurate to DC’s intent and their lives will be richer for it.”

This organizational change will also enable DC to adapt the popular technology management system, “The Lean Startup” to comics.

“The basic idea is all about sampling and reacting to readership,” DiDio offered. ”Instead of a ‘Minimal Viable Product,’ which has just enough features to see if there’s a customer base, we’re going to be starting out with a ‘Minimum Viable Plot.’ You can test a Minimum Viable Plot a number of ways: publish the first issue, release a preview or leak the plot to a website. If the reaction is bad, you ‘Pivot’ and change the plot. Eventually, you’ll find something the fans like.

“You may have noticed we’ve been informally testing this system and making Pivots ever since the New 52 launched. It’s been working so well, we decided to go ahead and make it our formal organizational procedure. By integrating writing into editorial, we increase the speed at which we can pivot. It’s not like we weren’t already doing most of the plotting.”

When asked for reaction to the news, Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso replied “Marvel plans editorial moves out far in advance and we would be unable to implement something like this for at least six months.”

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom