• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awful 80's/90's action movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
some godlike Dolph flicks:

DARK-ANGEL-DOLPH-LUNDGREN.jpg

I remember them times my mom took me to go see movies like Running Scared and Cloak and Dagger. I did also like Only the Strong

choodi

Banned
If this thread was titled Awesome 80's/90's action movies I think that all these movies would still be here.

Of course. That's what makes these movies so great. Even though they were pure shit as far as production values and artistic merit, they were great fun to watch, either because they were hilariously bad, or just plain entertaining.

Brera

Banned
Guys...most of the films are awesome...!

Over The Top on Netflix is my find of the week. Really enjoyed it. It is everything 80s with an awesome soundtrack and silly scenes!

Riposte

I can watch young Stallone all day.

I saw that Jay Leno movie. There was a scene where someone (forget who) leaps and drop kicks through windshield window of a moving car to hit the person driving. IDK, the way it was shot was just hilarious to me and my brother at the time. Maybe the first time I've ever laughed at a movie.

Think it is worth gif-ing the black guy too. He is so damn intense in his joy.

Chuckie

It feels like I stepped into a time machine, am about 13 again and walking through a place they rent VHS tapes.

It is fucking awesome. I remember always looking at those awesomely bad covers, deciding what to rent. If it had guns and hot chicks it was all good.

choodi

Banned
It feels like I stepped into a time machine, am about 13 again and walking through a place they rent VHS tapes.

It is fucking awesome. I remember always looking at those awesomely bad covers, deciding what to rent. If it had guns and hot chicks it was all good.

I found the best movies by crawling on my hands and knees and searching the bottom shelf.

Got some funny looks from people renting the latest new releases, but I bet they didn't enjoy them half as much as I enjoyed whatever trash that I managed to find.

CTE

Wow. I've seen ALL of these growing up. Some many times.

I used to go to this place called "Rudy's Video". It's still around but renting BR now of course. He would always give me the R rated shit even though I was clearly 10 years old.

Like this Emilio gem:

Chuckie

I used to go to this place called "Rudy's Video". It's still around but renting BR now of course. He would always give me the R rated shit even though I was clearly 10 years old.

Like this Emilio gem:

God I loved that Green Goblin truck

toyz0039391wv.5007.jpg

Cheerilee

The Wraith (1986)

Starring Charlie Sheen. In a small town in Arizona, a gang of punks bullies anyone with a cool car into betting their car in a street race for pink slips. Since this gang plays dirty and already has the best cars, basically they're just stealing cars and getting away with it. They murdered Charlie Sheen's character because the gang leader wanted to get with Charlie's girl.

But Charlie Sheen crawls out of hell and comes back as a black-suited figure with an alien supercar (actually an unreleased Dodge prototype). He silently challenges the gang members to race him, and toys with them before killing them off one by one.

The end.

Sorry Danny Glover, you kickass but...

Predator2_onesheet-1-500x736.jpg

Yeah this movie is a piece of shit.

The only part I ever liked the the final third of the movie where Danny Glover's character was chasing down the Predator. Still though, it was pretty terrible. It also had some of the worst character dialogue I have ever heard in a big budget action movie.

RoboCop 2 could almost be clumped into this category as well, and RoboCop 3 was even worse.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Same director as Deadly Prey. Ted Prior.

yeah, i think Prior actually managed to get some cred in the industry because I've seen a lot of more or less famous actors in his terribad movies, like Tony Curtis...he isn't even that bad as director, he knows a couple of tricks, mostly copied from actual movies, but still not completely hokey

his filmography is the encyclopedia of trash. I also seen
The_Final_Sanction_poster.jpg

which is just fantastic entertainment, and

Center-of-the-Web-Not-on-DVD-Movie-LaserDisc-ID2292AI.jpg

with said Curtis, always completely drunk (like Carradine in Future Force/Zone) and a lot of decent casting members. Plus, he looked like Christian Bale (look at his face!)

favourite Final Sanction quote

"SERGEI LIKE ALL WOMEN!!" *everyone laughs*

Like this Emilio gem:

Never forget the part where the steamroller runs over the kid. It warms my heart that somebody actually captured this scene and put it up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGmRdm_oJFQ

Love the music. CHUN CHUN CHUN CHUN CHUN CHUN.

This is the trailer for The New Barbarians, aka Warriors of the Wasteland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1vvUDo_EE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was directed by the prolific Enzo G Castellari and stars Fred Williamson, who should be familiar to anyone who likes B-movies or From Dusk Till Dawn.

Cover:

Great movie. My favourite of the Italian Post-Apocalypse movies is 2019: After the Fall of New York.

The Barbarians is an amazing Conan rip-off made by Ruggero Deodato of Cannibal Holocaust fame.

Here is a clip from the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6BAd7xJuU0

Sorry Danny Glover, you kickass but...

Predator2_onesheet-1-500x736.jpg

Yeah this movie is a piece of shit.

Oh I agree totally. What made predator 1 so amazing is that if anyone stood even a small chance against a predator it was Arnie. Its that simple. Danny would have no chance. He spends most that film running about looking terrified.

Predator 1 is the only predator that should exist.

Its amazing how many 80 actions films were both terrible and amazing at the same time. My fav is prob commando for the sheer insane amount of one lines and total nonsense.

"What did you do with him"
"I let him go"

Sojgat

Newly added to Netflix Instant as well. :)

Drive_movie_poster.jpg

And this movie kicks ass as well. Mark Dacascos is a bad ass.

There are two different versions of this awesome movie.

The heavily edited, techno soundtrack version (which is what most people have probably seen) is pretty awful at times, but it still features some of the best fight scenes you'll ever see.

On the other hand though, the Director's Cut is an action masterpiece, and really doesn't belong in this thread.

Robocop 2 had a hardcore opening scene though. I saw the uncensored version as a young lad. Haven't been able to find that again though.

Actually, Robocop 2 did have some pretty decent action pieces in spots and a few comical moments. But overall the script was a mess.

Oh I agree totally. What made predator 1 so amazing is that if anyone stood even a small chance against a predator it was Arnie. Its that simple. Danny would have no chance. He spends most that film running about looking terrified.

Predator 1 is the only predator that should exist.

Arnold actually had a lot of influence on the making of Predator. In the original script, it was penned to just be him (one person) against a predator in the Jungle. The original script idea came from: "what would Rocky Balboa fight next after defeating communism?" Well an Alien. So a script was made around one person battling an alien in a jungle. Apparently Arnold didn't like this idea and suggested that it should be about a whole squad of commando's against one alien. Arnold felt that a whole team in the jungle would be more realistic and he liked the idea of fighting along side people that could be considered his equals. They went with his idea.

Also, they had to halt production because the original costume for the predator looked like a complete joke. They were already deep into filming and didn't get the costume until half way through production, when they did receive the costume, John Mctiernan took one look at it and said "nope". It was Arnold's suggestion that they should use Stan Winston to make a new predator costume instead, because of his connections with Stan through Terminator 1.

And Jesse Ventura's gatling gun was one of the coolest looking things in that movie. It made no sense in the real world, but it looked awesome. You could say that it created a whole cliche in action movies (and video games), they later reused the same idea in Terminator 2 with Arnold.

Chuckie

Actually, Robocop 2 did have some pretty decent action pieces in spots and a few comical moments. But overall the script was a mess.

True, it was a piece of shit. I merely remember it because I was totally shocked when that high heel went into an eye-socket.

Edit: I don't even know if it looked realistic. I've seen it once yeeeeeaaaaaars ago and never saw the scene again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Some fantastic posts in here, makes me smile so hard :p I must admit I looooove Robocop 2 and Predator 2. I get so much enjoyment from both of them, especially Predator 2.

'More VICTIIIIMS! More MUTILAAAAAAATION!'

Anyway as for my contribution, Eye Of The Tiger starring Gary Busey and Yaphet Kotto!

4RApDSb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1kOerkFjI

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just remembered another gem

51HMG5XPFNL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

this has lower budget than some of my pub fridays and honestly it's not very entertaining, but its godawfulness is always present and my god, some one liners are just unintentionally hilarious

"the truth can be murder"...what?

The Wraith (1986)

Starring Charlie Sheen. In a small town in Arizona, a gang of punks bullies anyone with a cool car into betting their car in a street race for pink slips. Since this gang plays dirty and already has the best cars, basically they're just stealing cars and getting away with it. They murdered Charlie Sheen's character because the gang leader wanted to get with Charlie's girl.

But Charlie Sheen crawls out of hell and comes back as a black-suited figure with an alien supercar (actually an unreleased Dodge prototype). He silently challenges the gang members to race him, and toys with them before killing them off one by one.

The end.

loved this movie as a kid. Loved it.
I wonder how it holds up? lol

How about a classic with Brian 'The Boz' Bosworth?
written by Walter Donger

lQPRH2e.jpg

dat hair!

AdAEurC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom