• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Pelosi bipartisianship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrats have unveiled a massive spending bill combining the budgets of 13 Cabinet agencies with increases in aid for lower-income college students, while cutting President Bush’s funding requests for foreign aid and closing military bases.

House Republicans such as party whip Roy Blunt of Missouri slammed Democrats plans to advance the huge $463.5 billion measure through the House on Wednesday without giving Republicans or rank and file Democrats a chance to offer changes in an Appropriations Committee session or on the floor.

Most lawmakers — and the public — were to get their first chances to read the budget tome Tuesday, barely a day before the House was supposed to vote it up or down.

MSNBC

First 100 hours.....first 100 days.....first 2 years.....

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Most lawmakers — and the public — were to get their first chances to read the budget tome Tuesday, barely a day before the House was supposed to vote it up or down.
That's 23 hours more than Republican leadership provided.

APF

But everyone in the last thread was so optimistic the Dems would be totally bipartisan after their 100-day agenda was pushed through; what happened? :(

Triumph

Banned
Yeah, sorry dude. To the victors go the spoils. Bush will be using his veto pen regularly, so don't act like your side is completely shut out of the process... that is, if you can still side with Bush.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
"And the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open, and most ethical Congress in history." -Nancy Pelosi

:D

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
So if they hike up the foreign and military budgets while cutting federal student aid, it's ok because it was a bipartisan effort?

GhaleonEB

Newzboyz99 said:
"And the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open, and most ethical Congress in history." -Nancy Pelosi

:D

That's not a very high bar. And it's coming on the heels of the most dishonest, secretive and corrupt Congress in history, so it's not like the Republicans have standing to cry foul. :lol

Anyhoo - she should allow more time for debate on huge budget bills. Perhaps she's just keeping up the pace of the "first 100 hours" agenda. Which only 42 hours to plow through, BTW.

APF

Stoney Mason said:
"Mission accomplished" - George Bush

See they all lie.
The ironic thing about your post is that Bush didn't say "Mission accomplished" in that speech; actually, he said, and I quote, "Our mission continues." But if our mission was accomplished, how can it continue??? That devious Bush, trying to have it both ways again. WHO'S THE FLIP FLOPPER NOW, GEORGE W-STANDS-FOR-WAR-CRIMINAL BUSH???

dem_party_seal.jpg

Oh wait...

APF said:
The ironic thing about your post is that Bush didn't say "Mission accomplished" in that speech; actually, he said, and I quote, "Our mission continues." But if our mission was accomplished, how can it continue??? That devious Bush, trying to have it both ways again. WHO'S THE FLIP FLOPPER NOW, GEORGE W-STANDS-FOR-WAR-CRIMINAL BUSH???

I was teasing with my post but do you really want me to dig up quotes where this president and his vice-president lied about the status of how this war was going or the claims about why we went into it?

ToxicAdam said:
2006 Liberal = "This is the most criminal, corrupt congress in history"

2007 Liberal = "Well .. that's politics!"

So...

Pushing through legislation for "lower-income college students, while cutting President Bush’s funding requests for foreign aid and closing military bases"

=

"crime and curruption"

That's just super....

APF said:

Chimpy W. Chimpface said:
Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.

fish in a gawddamn barrel....

APF

Stoney Mason said:
I was teasing with my post but do you really want me to dig up quotes where this president and his vice-president lied about the status of how this war was going or the claims about why we went into it?
I think instead of this, you will collect quotes where they gave the best spin on their ideas and policies. But knock yourself out, there's like 100 websites out there that have those talking points jotted down all nice for distribution.

mamacint: where are the words "Mission accomplished" again? IE what was presented as a quote? That wasn't actually a quote? Jesus, at least try have the smallest appearance of intellectual honesty.

Stoney Mason: I don't recall, but didn't Cheney say ~ "I think what we're seeing is... last throes..." ie "[giving] the best spin on their ideas and policies" ??

Jeez, looks like Triumph was right when he said victory spoils the winner.

APF said:
I think instead of this, you will collect quotes where they gave the best spin on their ideas and policies. But knock yourself out, there's like 100 websites out there that have those talking points jotted down all nice for distribution.

Last Throes I guess....

Triumph

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
2006 Liberal = "This is the most criminal, corrupt congress in history"

2007 Liberal = "Well .. that's politics!"
I fail to see how this is worse than the Republicans, who wouldn't tell Dem members of committees when and where said committee was meeting to discuss bills, or when the vote on said bill was. So yes, this is an improvement.

Cry all you want, but did you really expect the GOP to have such a big voice in the Congress after November? And is it really a BAD thing that they don't? Divided govt. for the win.

Nice of you to leave off the next sentance:

Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed. And now our coalition is engaged in securing and reconstructing that country.

Battle of Iraq = ousting of the Saddam regime

ToxicAdam

I don't have a problem with the Democrats actions, just the sorry liberals on GAF and thier excuses. Just be consistent in your mock outrage .. that's all I ask.

APF

siamesedreamer said:
Nice of you to leave off the next sentance:

[...]

Battle of Iraq = ousting of the Saddam regime

"fish in a gawddamn barrel...."

Incognito said:
APF's shtick is tired.
You mean where I counter lies and arguable histrionics with completely valid points? Also, I note once again you attack w/o adding anything of value.

Triumph

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
I don't have a problem with the Democrats actions, just the sorry liberals on GAF and thier excuses. Just be consistent in your mock outrage .. that's all I ask.
Dude, about the only people who never wanted bipartisanship after November were me and Frag. You can look it up. I've been very consistent in advocating re-education camps for Republicans for YEARS now.

APF

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
Dude, about the only people who never wanted bipartisanship after November were me and Frag. You can look it up. I've been very consistent in advocating re-education camps for Republicans for YEARS now.
Mandark's also been very consistent saying he doesn't care how it happens so long as policies he believes in become enacted.

ToxicAdam said:

Post bookmarked for future reposting.

Triumph

Banned
APF said:
Mandark's also been very consistent saying he doesn't care how it happens so long as policies he believes in become enacted.
Yeah, but I'm 95% certain Mandark is the devil.

terrene

Banned
APF said:
mamacint: where are the words "Mission accomplished" again? IE what was presented as a quote? That wasn't actually a quote? Jesus, at least try have the smallest appearance of intellectual honesty.
:lol That is pretty goddamn funny.

APF

terrene said:
:lol That is pretty goddamn funny.
Thanks; I appreciate you at least acknowledging I might be right about something, even though we've had our run-ins and it may make you look bad in front of your boys. 'spect.

thefit

You want the Democrats to play fair with an administration and the rest of the GOP who muscled their own crap for 12 years and who continuously promised they them selves that they would work in a bipartisan manner time after time including not so long ago as November 8, 2006 and present yet continue to not live up to that promise and push on with their worthless agendas? In short yeah "payback is a bitch"

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
thefit said:
You want the Democrats to play fair with an administration and the rest of the GOP who muscled their own crap for 12 years and who continuously promised they them selves that they would work in a bipartisan manner time after time including not so long ago as November 8, 2006 and present yet continue to not live up to that promise and push on with their worthless agendas? In short yeah "payback is a bitch"

12 years of Republicans...preceding decades of Democrat control...so...

thefit

Newzboyz99 said:
12 years of Republicans...preceding decades of Democrat control...so...

So don't complain Bipartisan is only a bumper sticker catchphrase spewed out during press conferences to make the public feel better about whatever side they decided was the better of the both evils during another election year. Its right up there with "weapons of mass destruction" and "shock and awl".

terrene

Banned
APF said:
Thanks; I appreciate you at least acknowledging I might be right about something, even though we've had our run-ins and it may make you look bad in front of your boys. 'spect.
You are right - it's not a quote. And the "intellectual honesty" dig against mamacint is genius, I don't care what they say. :)

APF said:
The ironic thing about your post is that Bush didn't say "Mission accomplished" in that speech
Actually, Bush would have said it, as it was originally in the text. It was the source for the banner. In what may have been the smartest thing he ever did, Rumsfeld insisted they remove it from the speech.

APF

buckfutter said:
This thread truly embodies the spirit of bipartisanship.
I think I managed to gin-up some of this spirit, bonding with both Triumph and terrene.

[on preview: see? terrene acknowledges the genius in my presuming to ask mamacint to do something he is genetically-incapable of]

adamsappel: that's interesting, link?

APF said:

Oh my jesus...:lol

Where did I say that there was? Point me to where I put those words in his mouth.

But how about this gem.

APF said:
Our mission continues." But if our mission was accomplished, how can it continue??? That devious Bush, trying to have it both ways again. WHO'S THE FLIP FLOPPER NOW, GEORGE W-STANDS-FOR-WAR-CRIMINAL BUSH???
ZING!!. But actually the passage was:
Our mission continues. Al Qaeda is wounded, not destroyed. The scattered cells of the terrorist network still operate in many nations, and we know from daily intelligence that they continue to plot against free people. The proliferation of deadly weapons remains a serious danger. The enemies of freedom are not idle, and neither are we. Our government has taken unprecedented measures to defend the homeland. And we will continue to hunt down the enemy before he can strike. (Applause.)

So good ol' APF takes a completely out of context quote to somehow prove Bush's speech wasn't trying to claim that they won, because you see, he used the words 'mission' and 'continues' right beside each other, that's completely the opposite of mission accomplished. durr.

Am I about to subject myself to the classic ol' APF-me-do. Three pages of you parsing sentences and slicing and dicing semantics, stretching the meaning of sentences past how any rational person could possible understand them. No thanks friend.

thefit

He may not have said it but he certainly tried to imply it and what was worst was that after getting crap for it the Whitehouse tried to deny that they had anything to do with the banner.

October 2003

"What (the president) said was that it was put up by the Navy, by people on board the ship and that was correct," his spokesman Scott McClellan said Wednesday.

"It was an idea that was suggested by those on the ship as a way to honor the sailors and crew on board the USS Lincoln for accomplishing their mission.

He acknowledged however: "The Navy asked us to take care of the production of the banner.""

The administration "said that the Navy called for it, and that was a fabrication because they then later acknowledged that it was the White House who created the banner," said Daschle.

:lol :*(

Phoenix

I'm more interested in what they actually get accomplished than whether or not they cow-tow to Republicans or Democrats. Show me some ****ing progress getting things done that impact the quality of this nation and you can **** over as many republicans or democrats as you like :)

I think people are getting caught up on completely the wrong shit.

APF

thefit said:
He may not have said it but he certainly tried to imply it and what was worst was that after getting crap for it the Whitehouse tried to deny that they had anything to do with the banner.
The problem with your Daschle quote is it Does Not Follow. Also, you're accepting a strong political opponent's characterization of events as fact, rather than investigating the issue and coming to your own conclusions objectively.

[edit: though that doesn't mean your premise is incorrect; I'm still waiting on adamsappel's source, and will look at it in an "intellectually honest" manner so I'm not *so* much of a hypocrite]

APF said:
edit: though that doesn't mean your premise is incorrect; I'm still waiting on adamsappel's source, and will look at it in an "intellectually honest" manner so I'm not *so* much of a hypocrite]

cute, still waiting for a response though:

APF said:
actually, he said, and I quote, "Our mission continues." But if our mission was accomplished, how can it continue??? That devious Bush, trying to have it both ways again. WHO'S THE FLIP FLOPPER NOW, GEORGE W-STANDS-FOR-WAR-CRIMINAL BUSH???

Reality said:
Our mission continues. Al Qaeda is wounded, not destroyed. The scattered cells of the terrorist network still operate in many nations, and we know from daily intelligence that they continue to plot against free people. The proliferation of deadly weapons remains a serious danger. The enemies of freedom are not idle, and neither are we. Our government has taken unprecedented measures to defend the homeland. And we will continue to hunt down the enemy before he can strike. (Applause.)

?

thefit

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1030-06.htm

At a news conference Tuesday, Bush remarked that the "Mission Accomplished" sign "of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln, saying that their mission was accomplished. I know it was attributed some how to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way."

The remarks drew some questions about the term "mission accomplished," which at the time was interpreted in some quarters as closing the entire war in Iraq which started in March and brought the fall of Saddam Hussein in April.

Asked if Bush had misled people by appearing in front of the banner, McClellan said "the Navy put it up and it was the Navy at the -- asked us to take care of the production of the banner. And we said that yesterday."

"Our advance staff works closely with people on all events that the president is involved in," he noted.

Asked if Bush had disavowed the idea that the mission was accomplished at that time, McClellan said: "The mission for the sailors and crew on board the ship was accomplished. There are some continuing objectives we have on the security front, on the reconstruction front, on the political front."

The administration has since backed away from blaming the Navy for the"mission accomplished" debacle but someone forgot to tell Tony Snow because just in the past two weeks he repeated the lie when he challenged a reporter that Bush never said never said "mission accomplished".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom