• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your "perfect controller"?

sn00zer

iiDpGwRcKwHED.jpg
I like this idea a lot...although I always have a hard time telling when pressing a trigger will actually initiat the action because it moves in so far.... seriously it has about 10x the distance it needs to be pressed in compared to any other button

Take the Gamecube controller.

Replace the C Stick with a second analogue stick.

Swap the L/R triggers and Z button for R1/R2/L1/L2.

The God of all controllers has arrived to save us all.

I have to agree with this. That was such a comfortable controller. I actually liked the face button layout too. For some reason it makes sense to my fingers and brain.

xJavonta

Banned
I think I'm going to buy a GC controller and mod the C-stick to have a normal sized analog in it and use it on my PC for games that don't use both bumpers. It sounds like it'd be fucking excellent.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Two Wiimotes with sticks on them and a few more buttons. I love that you can move both hands freely.

the razer hydra seems crazy accurate but its design is best for tabletops and thus PC games.

but i would love dual analog, dual baton, high fidelity, motion controls for consoles. i think it could be truly revolutionary, especially with the occulus rift.

my man.

From the first page.

Nizz

Perfect controller for me would've been the Dualshock 2 but wireless. I like the light weight of the Dualshock 3 and don't mind the analog sticks but I really hate the triggers. I also hated when devs copy/pasted the 360 controller layout to the DS3 with no option to switch primary actions to L1/R1, like for instance aiming/firing.

I'm pretty eager to get my hands on a Dualshock 4 though. Seems to improve a lot of the DS3's shortcomings. Jury's out on the tighter sticks but I'm sure I'll grow to love them. ;) I honestly hope it doesn't weigh much more (if at all) than the DS3.

Servbot24

Banned
Take the Gamecube controller.

Replace the C Stick with a second analogue stick.

Swap the L/R triggers and Z button for R1/R2/L1/L2.

The God of all controllers has arrived to save us all.

The only thing I can add to this is that the B button should be bean-shaped like X and Y. And of course it should be wireless.

lol, are you seriously mad about me poking fun at that photo? Lighten up fella.

Nah, I meant you should have just gone ahead and made it.

Favoritism in the sense that I got used to them, probably. I personally like the loose sticks a lot, not sure why you would consider them an insane mistake.

Anyway, I'm fine with the PS2 and 360 (and GameCube) sticks too, but I absolutely despise the Wii/Wii U ones. I never managed to get used to them in all the time I owned these consoles. The Wii U GamePad is really comfortable otherwise though.

The Wii classic controller on the other hand...ugh. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the placement of the ABXY buttons.

That's always been their placement. Since the SNES.

The_Afroman

I never understood why we stopped making 6 button on the face controllers.
Fighters would benefit. Sport games would. RPGs i think would as well. I like shoulder buttons but if we would have 6 on the face it would be AWESOME. So i want a Dreamcast controller with 2 analogs and 6 face buttons.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Fighters would benefit. Sport games would. RPGs i think would as well. I like shoulder buttons but if we would have 6 on the face it would be AWESOME. So i want a Dreamcast controller with 2 analogs and 6 face buttons.]

This would be great. The DC had a great, ergonomic form factor. Add PS3 (or possibly PS4) triggers and a higher resolution (and larger) VMU screen, and I think this would be my perfect controller.

Lemonte

I'm I only one who has developed bump of hard skin on right hand thumb for using xbox 360 controller? Those damn m&m face buttons are horrible.

BD1

Banned
Wii U GamePad with the GameCube A, B, X, Y layout & analog triggers.

Why Nintendo got rid of the "Giant A Solar System" config, I'll never know.

gemoran4

360 with super nintendo d-pad and 80+ hour battery life (built in battery)

heard saturn and genesis d-pads are really nice, but i never used them and since Nintendo's patent on the d-pad is expired all of these options are realistic.

Alternatively the d-pad nintendo has been using with their controllers now (especially the wii u pro one, i really like it)

The Wii U Pro Controller with Xbox 360's Analog Triggers.

Awesome grip, awesome triggers, awesome bumpers, awesome d-pad, awesome face buttons, awesome sticks, awesome controller.

Ushae

Banned
I really like the look of the new PS4 controller, even though I hated the older version with a passion.

I'm expecting the new xbox controller to be even better, but hopefully not a radical change, just a refinement on the original design.

Tekku

I really like the shape and button placement of the DS4, but something I miss with almost every controller is the option of customization. It would be really nice to switch places for the sticks and d-pad, or just replace them if they brake.

Moo.png

C4Lukins

360 controller, with the Mad Catz Street Fighter directional pad. Flat and larger face buttons, and maybe a little bit better bumpers.

Cyrano

Gotta be the Sega Saturn controller. Still my favorite. Not the best at 3D games, given that everyone maps a camera to an analog stick, but man if it isn't the pinnacle for 2D games.

Fighters would benefit. Sport games would. RPGs i think would as well. I like shoulder buttons but if we would have 6 on the face it would be AWESOME. So i want a Dreamcast controller with 2 analogs and 6 face buttons.

xbox-duke-controllerdoqxg.jpg

Anyway, it's a difficult question to answer, there's really no single catch-all solution. For most traditional games I think I'd prefer a 360 controller with a better D-pad, triggers and bumpers switching places, and perhaps a built-in speaker. But what I really want to see is something akin to PlayStation Move's Navigation controller with built-in pointer functionality for one hand, and no controller/Kinect for everything else.

SmartBase

Traditional controller? Well, DualShock3's the closest it's gotten, but for me it would be:

-Start with a Wii U Pro controller: Nintendo-style ABXY, clicky-sticks in upper positions, shaped like a 360 controller but less bulky, two "bumper" shoulder buttons, three option buttons (+Start/-Select/Home) and Power button, and USB charging
-Make the triggers analog, with GameCube-style clicks at the very bottom
-Pressure-sensitivity for the face buttons, bumpers, and D-pad like the DualShock3
-Add in full motion-sensing (gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer)
-Dreamcast-style stick weighting: eight-way resistance guiding like old Nintendo sticks, but the cutout remains circular
-Concave sticks with matte plastic "bowls" and hard rubber rims
-EAP haptics instead of current motor-based rumble for better range of feedback (look up ViviTouch)

In short, this:

11QiP7h.png

Even better, apply all that stuff to the Wii U GamePad so you get the touchscreen, speakers, mic, and headphone jack (with the trade-off of less battery life.) Some people would also swear by a Saturn D-pad, but I never used a Saturn controller so I couldn't say. For me, standard Nintendo "plus"-shape D-pads are just fine.

I really like the positioning of the two analogue sticks, I'd definitely go for something like that. Or just switch the face buttons and right analogue stick around on the 360 controller.

This would be great. The DC had a great, ergonomic form factor. Add PS3 (or possibly PS4) triggers and a higher resolution (and larger) VMU screen, and I think this would be my perfect controller.

It seems like so many people complain about the DC controller, and I never could relate. One of my only guesses is that, until you slap some some VMUs or other peripherals in it to give it some weight, it does feel pretty cheap, and maybe it's disconcerting to stare through the large hole in the middle. I used to argue with a guy who went out of his way to hate everything about the DC, and he'd call the controller a something like a "plank with buttons mounted on it" and I was almost stunned by how wrong that is. I mean, I guess that is what it looks like if you only pay attention to what it looks like from the top.

I even thought the dpad was great -- I used it all the time for fighters etc. The feedback was very crisp, and the "elevated" style of it worked well with the only caveat being perhaps the plastic was a tad sharp and could potentially the skin of only the whitest of white-collar workers. Again, I could not understand all the bitching, especially in the context of the time; it's like you guys thought the GCN's was more than barely usable, or that the DS2's was not mushy and just mediocre (Sony hadn't gotten around to making good dpads yet, the way they do now for Vita and presumably PS4). So yeah, definitely this.

GavinGT

Banned
If you have no complaints about the DC controller then you've never played Crazy Taxi on it for an extended period of time.

Not a waggle nut but Nintendo were onto something with having a controller that was two seperate parts. So comfy. If only it could be explored more with traditional button controls.

Top Bottom